What's new

If that last storm damaged Gold Base...

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
The one that's hitting right now should really cause havoc.

It's much more precipitation than last time. And it's not over yet.

Anyone know how bad it is out there? As if it wasn't bad enough already.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
No idea how bad it was out there but this was one of the warnings from earlier today (from Accuweather)

base_zps63e74344.jpg

The Int Base is kind of in western Riverside County, so it seems it is within this area covered by the warning.

Operating DB

Truman Show Dropout
I'm hoping with the breach of the security fencing that this will allow some cult victims too escape.
Hurry! Take advantage of this opportunity now!

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Nice, nice opportunity for some people to return to their real life by walking out of the mud to freedom..

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
Some of you might be familiar with my account of my best-ever hang gliding flight from the Big E launch over Lake Elsinore, on a circuitous course, to what I thought was Gold.

This was late Eighties. I'd read about this place in Bent's book, and I just happened to get this far on a cross-country flight attempt. I saw a big swath of brown next to an obvious golf course. Since I had heard that the base had a golf course, I got a wild hair up my ass and decided to try to land there, so I landed at the golf course. Actually, I had little choice, as the winds had kicked up considerably, and I barely was able to fly south and not get blown into the mountains north. I cleared the palm trees by only a very uncomfortable margin.

Turned out I landed at the San Jacinto Country Club. The big swath of brown was the deteriorating Gold base at the time. A bunch of bridesmaids rehearsing a wedding by the club pool were not pleased with me stealing their thunder, lol! I wonder if they were clams.

The reason I bring this up; does anyone know what happened to that country club? Did it get assimilated by the cult? Google Earth maps show no swath of brown now.

Can you imagine if I'd succeeded in flying into the base? My chase crew might have had an even more interesting day.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
I just looked on Google Earth. I see a swath of brown now. Maybe that's what I saw back then.

You know, quad-copter camera drones are getting cheaper all the time. Can you imagine the impact of Gold Crew seeing them flying around over head? :wave:

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm hoping with the breach of the security fencing that this will allow some cult victims too escape.
Hurry! Take advantage of this opportunity now!
Nice, nice opportunity for some people to return to their real life by walking out of the mud to freedom..
I never would try to escape through mud - and I would not recommend it to anyone. The chances for a success are to low.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
I never would try to escape through mud - and I would not recommend it to anyone. The chances for a success are to low.

Especially if your car is buried in mud up to the roof! Have you seen the pics?

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
LOL ! Ankle deep mud ain't deep for even the most mired clam !

How did this make that leap to some conclusion of car deep avalanches of mud slides in the worst parts ?

I'm not suggested braving life endangering mud slides but merely walking out through a little slush...... but you image was dramatic !

Or is it all buried & all trapped in with life threatening circumstances of mud all over everywhere car deep & deeper all over the whole joint ?

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
Some of you might be familiar with my account of my best-ever hang gliding flight from the Big E launch over Lake Elsinore, on a circuitous course, to what I thought was Gold.

This was late Eighties. I'd read about this place in Bent's book, and I just happened to get this far on a cross-country flight attempt. I saw a big swath of brown next to an obvious golf course. Since I had heard that the base had a golf course, I got a wild hair up my ass and decided to try to land there, so I landed at the golf course. Actually, I had little choice, as the winds had kicked up considerably, and I barely was able to fly south and not get blown into the mountains north. I cleared the palm trees by only a very uncomfortable margin.

Turned out I landed at the San Jacinto Country Club. The big swath of brown was the deteriorating Gold base at the time. A bunch of bridesmaids rehearsing a wedding by the club pool were not pleased with me stealing their thunder, lol! I wonder if they were clams.

The reason I bring this up; does anyone know what happened to that country club? Did it get assimilated by the cult? Google Earth maps show no swath of brown now.

Can you imagine if I'd succeeded in flying into the base? My chase crew might have had an even more interesting day.

You guys don't know the half of it.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
LOL ! Ankle deep mud ain't deep for even the most mired clam !

How did this make that leap to some conclusion of car deep avalanches of mud slides in the worst parts ?

I'm not suggested braving life endangering mud slides but merely walking out through a little slush...... but you image was dramatic !

Or is it all buried & all trapped in with life threatening circumstances of mud all over everywhere car deep & deeper all over the whole joint ?

Sorry, I was just reacting to some images I've seen.

Hi, Gizmo. I know who you are.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
I had such a good time. After I broke down my diver, I bagged it up next to the pool. A bunch of kids accosted me, and wanted to know about hang gliding. I, of course, accommodated them. Yeah, it's folded up and transported by a regular car. Yeah, it's cheap for flying, but flying isn't ever that cheap.

All the while this is going on, I'm folding up my diver. Afterwards, I'm sitting there in my very cool flight suit, next to my even more cool hang glider, waiting for the chase crew and the transport bag, and I see these obviously upset women dressed in white bridesmaid dresses, (floor length and everything) walking around, scowling at me. :coolwink:

When I came in for my final, there was this guy (I swear to God!) lining up a shot on the course. I saw that a conflict was inevitable, so I started screaming 'LOOK OUT! LOOK OUT! LOOK OUT!'

The duffer looked up, looked around, and then got this confused expression on his face just before he spotted me, about three seconds before I touched down in his sand trap.

He dived out of the way just in the nick of time, and I hit his bag stand just before touching down with my leg. Yeah, it hurt. If you don't know what that is, it's a T-shaped thing you jam into the ground to help hold up your golf club bag. I swear I never saw his bag.

This might sound like fiction. I give you my Word Of Honor this is exactly how it happened. I wish I had this kind of imagination.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP

There was never a 'San Jacinto Country Club' that I'm aware & it's not mentioned in the book. You are probably thinking of the the Gilman Hot Springs resort. From Bent's book:

"In October of 1978, another facility had been purchased. It was known as Gilman Hot Springs and included that resort and a motel known as the Massacre Canyon Inn, about 20 miles west of Palm Springs. Gilman Hot Springs included a 27-hole golf course and a variety of other facilities.... Additionally, there are strong indications that a group now occupying the former Gilman Hot Springs resort, near San Jacinto, may be a Scientology project."

http://www.xenu.net/archive/books/mom/Messiah_or_Madman.txt

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/dec/18/business/fi-scientologyside18

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
The one that's hitting right now should really cause havoc.

It's much more precipitation than last time. And it's not over yet.

Anyone know how bad it is out there? As if it wasn't bad enough already.

The Int base property is very flat and there is no downhill from there. When it rains hard, it floods. Everything on the south side of the road will be at least partially underwater. Guaranteed.

If there is still bare ground from all the illegal clearing that was done, Int base will be "pulling it in bigtime". :biggrin:

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
There was never a 'San Jacinto Country Club' that I'm aware & it's not mentioned in the book. You are probably thinking of the the Gilman Hot Springs resort. From Bent's book:

"In October of 1978, another facility had been purchased. It was known as Gilman Hot Springs and included that resort and a motel known as the Massacre Canyon Inn, about 20 miles west of Palm Springs. Gilman Hot Springs included a 27-hole golf course and a variety of other facilities.... Additionally, there are strong indications that a group now occupying the former Gilman Hot Springs resort, near San Jacinto, may be a Scientology project."

http://www.xenu.net/archive/books/mom/Messiah_or_Madman.txt

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/dec/18/business/fi-scientologyside18

Gillman Hot Springs resort IS the Int/Gold base. The Massacre Canyon Inn aka MCI is the dining room. It is on the south side on the edge of the parking lot.

Last edited: