ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
. . .
attachment.php

Unofficial sneak peek.

:whistling:

attachment.php

Added: Tony goes public on his blog now . . . official release at link. :wink2:

"His sources include witnesses to Cooper’s harassment and, in a few cases, people who took part in it.
Those interviews, as well as documents which have never been previously made public . . . ."

http://tonyortega.org/2015/01/10/co...cientologys-most-infamous-campaign-of-terror/

Last edited:

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
I am very impressed! Tony could have written on any number of topics related to Scientology for his first tome on the subject but he picked a subject most dear to my heart, Paulette Cooper and what they put her through for daring to investigate and write a book at a time when the facts about it were highly closeted. :thumbsup:

Her story, before during and afterwards is a remarkable one which I won't miss reading.

AnonyMary

Lets get this book made known!

Tony Ortega Mod • 37 minutes ago

We had hoped to save this news for Monday, but our webmaster, preparing for the announcement, accidentally posted the image of the cover for a few seconds. That was enough to let the cat out of the bag. So those of you folks who jumped all over it, forcing our hand, how about now doing us a solid and spreading this news through Twitter and Facebook?

http://tonyortega.org/2015/01/10/co...famous-campaign-of-terror/#comment-1784787884

Veda

Sponsor
. . .
attachment.php

Unofficial sneak peek.

:whistling:

attachment.php

"His sources include witnesses to Cooper’s harassment and, in a few cases, people who took part in it.
Those interviews, as well as documents which have never been previously made public . . . ."

http://tonyortega.org/2015/01/10/co...cientologys-most-infamous-campaign-of-terror/

In that short blurb "the Church" is used eight times.

It's great that Paulette Cooper finally has a book - and hopefully a movie! - dedicated solely to her, but is it really necessary to so frequently reaffirm the fraudulent "religious" identity of corporate Scientology?

Simply calling it "the Church," and with such matter of fact frequency, will make some people back away from the topic, as they are disinclined to enter into a conflict between someone and a "Church."

(Believe it or not, most people are not organized-religion-despising-atheists, thus the utility of the "religion angle.")

:) In any event, it should be interesting to see what new information is brought to light, and it's wonderful to see Paulette Cooper getting the recognition she deserves.

This has the potential to be an extremely poignant and powerful book.

Leland

Crusader
Scientology should be called "Orgs" or "Bases" not Church....IMO

That IS what they call themselves.

Edited: Just my pet ax to grind....sorry for the derail and off topic comment.

Last edited:

AnonyMary

Lets try not to inadvertently derail this important book and thread to go off into Tony's use of the term "church" for Scientology.

Tony is of the belief that Scientology is a recognized church, so he calls it for what it is. He also has posted that he never uses the word cult in his descriptions of Scientology. On his reasons why, I forget but somewhere in the past he has written about this. I suspect it is because he is coming from a journalistic viewpoint, which is supposed to be objective.

I am too lazy to go off and find a reference for you all, so take it or leave it. My point is that this is a separate topic which I hope will be taken to a new thread if discussion is wanted.

Thanks

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
. . .
Tony Ortega Mod • 37 minutes ago

We had hoped to save this news for Monday, but our webmaster, preparing for the announcement, accidentally posted the image of the cover for a few seconds. That was enough to let the cat out of the bag. So those of you folks who jumped all over it, forcing our hand, . . .

View attachment 9065

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
"...and shines a light into the darkest corner of the history of the Church of Scientology."

I'm sure there are plenty more far darker corners that the Kult would not want to see the light of day.

Anonycat

Crusader

It's great that Paulette Cooper finally has a book - and hopefully a movie! - dedicated solely to her, but is it really necessary to so frequently reaffirm the fraudulent "religious" identity of corporate Scientology?

Simply calling it "the Church," and with such matter of fact frequency, will make some people back away from the topic, as they are disinclined to enter into a conflict between someone and a "Church."

(Believe it or not, most people are not organized-religion-despising-atheists, thus the utility of the "religion angle.")

:) In any event, it should be interesting to see what new information is brought to light, and it's wonderful to see Paulette Cooper getting the recognition she deserves.

I think the juxtaposition is useful. It might make people ask themselves: this is a Church? They all know that scientology is crazy, but this brings out their "whole other level" of doing business. This will have a huge impact.

I didn't write the announcement, Veda. The first part is from Humfrey Hunter of Silvertail Books, the second from Jon Atack.

However, if you look carefully, you will see that there are no gratuitous uses of the word.

The organization that tried to destroy Paulette was the B-I branch of the Guardian's Office, which was a unit of the Church of Scientology.

As a journalist, those are the words that I have to use in order to be factual. But if that will keep you from buying the book, so be it.

Tony O.

To be fair, that's an excerpted page from a Sept 2014 publisher press release. :shrug:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...GRo9hRym11Y0HgohkLXTriQ&bvm=bv.83339334,d.eXY

Yeah, it's unfortunate that you posted that blurb an agent wrote for a publisher trade catalog, which I didn't write and didn't even see until recently, months after it was written.

The actual public announcement of the book is at my website...

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
I didn't write the announcement, Veda. The first part is from Humfrey Hunter of Silvertail Books, the second from Jon Atack.

However, if you look carefully, you will see that there are no gratuitous uses of the word.

The organization that tried to destroy Paulette was the B-I branch of the Guardian's Office, which was a unit of the Church of Scientology.

As a journalist, those are the words that I have to use in order to be factual. But if that will keep you from buying the book, so be it.

Tony, the timing of this, weeks after the release of the HBO Documentary is perfect .

Many millions of people will be viewing the documentary, and a portion of them will of course be interested in the book as well.

If you ever do an updated list of the 'Top 25 People Crippling Scientology' you're going to have to move yourself way up there! :thumbsup:

:thankyou:

Anonycat

Crusader

Tony O.

It's good to see you here, Tony. And thank you for writing the book.

woglesbo

Patron
I have to say I am very surprised by some of the comments about the book.

Even being a never in I am excited.....every nail in the coffin brings them 1 day closer to locking the doors.

Tony Ortega is the first place I found when looking and lurking. Daily he puts hard work into bringing truth and facts about the cult. And its not cause he is getting rich on it.

CONGRATS Sir! and thank you!

Just my 2 cents

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
Tony, the timing of this, weeks after the release of the HBO Documentary is perfect .

Many millions of people will be viewing the documentary, and a portion of them will of course be interested in the book as well.

If you ever do an updated list of the 'Top 25 People Crippling Scientology' you're going to have to move yourself way up there! :thumbsup:

:thankyou:

Agreed!

I for one am definitely excited about this book release - in that sad/excited mixed emotion way one has when exploring the dark cruel details that the bullying cult of scientology inflicts into peoples lives.

Respect and love to Paulette! And you too Tony, and team. Thank you! :flowers:

Veda

Sponsor

Tony O.

It won't stop me, but the repetitive use of the words, "the Church," rather than just "Scientology" will likely dissuade some from inquiring.

Of course, it's impossible to avoid entirely using the words "Church of Scientology," as that's the name used in lawsuits, incorporation papers, in the phone book, and on signs on many Scientology buildings. It identifies the subject. However, the repetitive use of the words "the Church," IMO, is counterproductive.

The word "Scientology" says it better, the only drawback being that it's five syllables whereas "the Church" is two.

Very much look forward to reading the book, and thanks for writing it.