What's new

Scientology Full Page Ad - NYT - LAT - HBO Documentary

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
This afternoon I mailed a gift to Mr. David Miscavige in Gilman Hot Springs. I figured he'll need it after the HBO docu is released.

image.-1675486074.image.png

I hope he finds the gift helpful. :)

Leland

Crusader
Hey Smurf....what "legal" strategies might the Cult employ....in an effort to stop the HBO premier ?

Could they do some sort of injunction or something.....

Just curious.

JustSheila

Crusader
It's quite funny. What a footbullet!

I Googled "Scientology Movie" and came up with all of Scns campaigns against The Master with headlines like "Scientology steps up campaign...", combined with today's headlines, like "Scientology launches attack..." and "Scientology goes to War..."

They are definitely seen as the aggressive, bullying bad guys with their nasty ad in the NY Times.

:hysterical: :hysterical:

I love the article by the Huffington Post:

No matter what Gibney’s film says, no matter how well sourced it is, no matter how respected HBO’s documentary unit is, the notoriously litigious Church of Scientology is likely to be peeved.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/01/hbo-scientology-documentary_n_6249180.html

Too funny! Now Gibney's film is a shoe-in as a box-office hit and every theatre in the world will want it! :biggrin:

:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Hey Smurf....what "legal" strategies might the Cult employ....in an effort to stop the HBO premier ?

Could they do some sort of injunction or something.....

Just curious.

There is no strategy to stop the documentary. The COS is left with the following choices:

1) Do nothing.

2) Sue in civil court for damages.

3) Make a cash offer to HBO that is so outrageously huge that HBO would sell them the exclusive worldwide rights. LOL.

4. Do what Ron told them to do (attack with lies, black ops and fair game)

5. Admit to the truth of it, apologize. try to start acting like sane and responsible people and hopefully move on.

6. Waste large sums of money publicizing the controversial documentary by taking out paid advertisement, full page ads in nationally syndicated papers (NYT, etc.). And by doing so, ensure that the viewership is exponentially expanded beyond HBO's wildest hopes & dreams.

Scientology of course chose the worst possible one. Number 6.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
There is no strategy to stop the documentary. The COS is left with the following choices:

1) Do nothing.

2) Sue in civil court for damages.

3) Make a cash offer to HBO that is so outrageously huge that HBO would sell them the exclusive worldwide rights. LOL.

4. Do what Ron told them to do (attack with lies, black ops and fair game)

5. Admit to the truth of it, apologize. try to start acting like sane and responsible people and hopefully move on.

6. Waste large sums of money publicizing the controversial documentary by taking out paid advertisement, full page ads in nationally syndicated papers (NYT, etc.). And by doing so, ensure that the viewership is exponentially expanded beyond HBO's wildest hopes & dreams.

Scientology of course chose the worst possible one. Number 6.

I think they've chosen #4 - except "they" have factored in that Ron was a paranoid malignant narcissist with such overwhelming self-importance that He felt He could command minions to make every wish/brain fart He had come true.:yes:

They are just being KSW after all - if it isn't pompous, hypocritical and unbelievably stupid, then it's just not $cientology.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Hey Smurf....what "legal" strategies might the Cult employ....in an effort to stop the HBO premier? Could they do some sort of injunction or something.....Just curious.

They would be hard pressed to get an injunction. I'm sure they will implement the same propagandist bullshit they did when Lawrence Wright's book came out.. they will probably created an Alex Gibney hate page & defame the crap out off him... it's the typical Scientology response.

With all the publicity about the documentary, they'd be very stupid to send their attorneys & staff to the HBO offices to try to persuade them not to show the film, but Scientology is well-known for digging their own holes & falling into them.

JustSheila

Crusader
I wonder if El Dwarfeurer Miscaviage is going to order they do this every day until the film is released?

What if he's having a Type III break and he's going to blow the whole wad of Scientology's money on this ad campaign?

Start auctioning off the buildings, COS! The fascist dwarf has blown his lid!

Anger.png

Orglodyte

Patron with Honors

Free Being Me

Crusader
I wonder if El Dwarfeurer Miscaviage is going to order they do this every day until the film is released?

What if he's having a Type III break and he's going to blow the whole wad of Scientology's money on this ad campaign?

Start auctioning off the buildings, COS! The fascist dwarf has blown his lid!

Anger.png

Or really odd "coincidences" such as pets found dead, threatening mail and phone calls, followed and stalked, neighbors told lies, property vandalized, frame-ups, all the usual strangeness people experience when $cientology targets them.

:footbullet:

:scnsucks:

Last edited:

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
Lyle Stuart's Open letter
in the New York Times
Jan 3 1988
Page 2 Book Review section

An open letter to the readers of
The New York Times
From publisher Lyle Stuart

Danger: Cult at Work!
The truth about Scientology
(From the archives of Ida Camburn)

LINK

HelluvaHoax!

I think they've chosen #4 - except "they" have factored in that Ron was a paranoid malignant narcissist with such overwhelming self-importance that He felt He could command minions to make every wish/brain fart He had come true.:yes:

They are just being KSW after all - if it isn't pompous, hypocritical and unbelievably stupid, then it's just not $cientology.

LOL

I agree that they did CHOOSE #4.

I agree that what they INTEND is #4.

I agree what they POSTULATED is #4.

But, being Scientologists, what they actually DID was #6.

LOL

HelluvaHoax!

They would be hard pressed to get an injunction. I'm sure they will implement the same propagandist bullshit they did when Lawrence Wright's book came out.. they will probably created an Alex Gibney hate page & defame the crap out off him... it's the typical Scientology response.

With all the publicity about the documentary, they'd be very stupid to send their attorneys & staff to the HBO offices to try to persuade them not to show the film, but Scientology is well-known for digging their own holes & falling into them.

But, what if Scientology sent
Tommy Davis to HBO headquarters
wearing TOP GUN aviator shades
and he got right in their face
using his powers?

tommy-davis-07_zpsabbb9420.jpg

What if Tommy was angry?

tommydavisyells.jpg

Very angry.

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
It's quite funny. What a footbullet!

I Googled "Scientology Movie" and came up with all of Scns campaigns against The Master with headlines like "Scientology steps up campaign...", combined with today's headlines, like "Scientology launches attack..." and "Scientology goes to War..."

The wording in the German-spoken articles sometimes is even better ... I love especially the frequent and CASUAL use of one word:

SEKTE

:yes: :omg: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Some other pretty German "creations":

SCIENTOLOGY-SEKTE
SEKTENKONZERN
PSYCHOSEKTE

:hattip:

But not to worry, your fav, "cult", ain't bad either, - in some way, it is even more degrading than "Sekte" and nails the nature of these organizations and the psychological mechanisms they are based on. Unfortunately, our equally snarky word "Kult" is to some degree what language teachers use to call a "false friend" - the words come from the same roots and the various possible meanings for both still have common denominators but aren't completely the same. In German, "Kult" may be used for the personality cult a totalitarian regime creates, as well as for the fandom of a pop star or a TV serial or a trademark; the word is used in a similar way as "hype", while it would be very unusual to use it on a religious splinter group or a (cough) "new religious movement". :)

Which brings me to the question why the word "sect", though of equal meaning as "Sekte", is used so seldom, for Scientology as well as for other religious splinter groups and (cough) "new religious movements". Why is that? Is it in this language perceived as an all too "academic" sounding word, and/or it is preferably used in historic context? Is "cult" just more ... cultic? :biggrin:
:confused2: :)

Leland

Crusader
I had always thought "Sect" implied that the group had broken off of and older or "original" group. A splinter group.

I had never perceived Scientology that way.....

El Con had promoted himself and Dianetics as something entirely new....and Scientology too.

I particularly like PSYCHOSEKTE. :omg:

Edited: Now I know different...El Con had all kinds of earlier influences.....
But still can't view is as an offshoot of something like OTO....

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Scientology vs. HBO May Also Be the End of Tom Cruise at Warner Bros.

A short but very good "insider" article raising a lot of issues.

Roger Friedman at Showbiz 411:

http://www.showbiz411.com/2015/01/1...-also-be-the-end-of-tom-cruise-at-warner-bros

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

When “Going Clear” is finally seen, we’ll see just how much of it takes in Hollywood. That may put HBO’s parent company, Time Warner, in some trouble. HBO’s cousins are Warner Bros, movie studio and CNN. Also still in the family, although at arms’ reach, are the Time Inc magazines including People and Entertainment Weekly.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *