What's new

‘Going Clear’ Scientology Doc Goes To Vimeo On Demand In September

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Yahoo: ‘Going Clear’ Scientology Doc Goes To Vimeo On Demand In September

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/going-clear-scientology-doc-goes-140046712.html

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Going Clear: Scientology And The Prison Of Belief, the Alex Gibney documentary about Scientology’s roots and its role in Hollywood, has been acquired for exclusive first-window VOD distribution by Vimeo. The film will appear through Vimeo On Demand beginning in September, after HBO’s holdback period ends following the doc’s broadcast there.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Stream Daily: Vimeo scores rights to ‘Going Clear’ Scientology doc

http://streamdaily.tv/2015/02/10/vimeo-secures-first-window-rights-to-scientology-doc-going-clear/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

New York-based video-on-demand (VOD) service Vimeo has secured the U.S. first window download-to-own rights for Alex Gibney’s controversial documentary Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief.

The HBO-produced film by director Gibney (Taxi to the Dark Side, Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room and Client 9: The Rise and Fall of Eliot Spitzer) will be shown on Vimeo On Demand in September, following HBO’s own exclusive broadcast window.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP

According to Wikipedia:
As of December 2013, Vimeo attracts over 100 million unique visitors per month and more than 22 million registered users.[SUP][12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vimeo[/SUP]

It looks as though Vimeo has only secured the U.S. rights so users outside the U.S. may not be able to access the Going Clear Documentary, however 38% of all visitors to Vimeo.com are U.S. based, so that's still LOTS of people! Vimeo presently ranks 78 in the U.S. for all websites.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thank God!

For a while I was worried that the Super Bowl, and full page newspaper ads wouldn't pay off.

VWD, Dave.:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: ... And thanks to the whales, who made it possible!

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
According to Wikipedia:

It looks as though Vimeo has only secured the U.S. rights so users outside the U.S. may not be able to access the Going Clear Documentary, however 38% of all visitors to Vimeo.com are U.S. based, so that's still LOTS of people! Vimeo presently ranks 78 in the U.S. for all websites.

Good info.

But, HBO still has major international distribution channels and deals in place to all the major foreign network TV, cable and other venues (airlines, theatrical, et al) to generate revenue with their documentaries and other original HBO programming.

So, the Vimeo deal won't inhibit the market penetration and number of viewings in the worldwide markets, because wherever there are interested viewers, there are revenue streams which will result in distribution.

It's kind of funny when you think of the hundreds of millions of dollars that Scientologists pour into their own videos and mini "documentaries" about the miracles of Scientology--yet nobody in the world is the least interested. This results in Scientology staff members wandering around aimlessly on the streets trying to hand out "free tickets" to their "film". LOL . They can't even give it away.

Even more remarkable is that Scientologists treat the org's "Intro Films" like some kind of religious talisman that is supposed to magically convert a wog into a Scientologist. The Scientologists believe that if you can just get someone to sit still in front of one of their video screens, their reactive mind will be temporarily be disabled long enough so that their analytical mind can write a check.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Good info.

But, HBO still has major international distribution channels and deals in place to all the major foreign network TV, cable and other venues (airlines, theatrical, et al) to generate revenue with their documentaries and other original HBO programming.

So, the Vimeo deal won't inhibit the market penetration and number of viewings in the worldwide markets, because wherever there are interested viewers, there are revenue streams which will result in distribution.

<snip>

I have no concern about the Vimeo deal (or anything else) inhibiting market penetration and number of viewings in the world wide markets, and expect that the Going Clear documentary is going to be a huge hit both here in the U.S. as well as a number of other countries. :)

It looks though like HBO has given up some of their rights on the documentary outside the U.S.

Content Media has acquired international sales rights to Alex Gibney’s documentary Going Clear: Scientology And The Prison Of Belief. The film will have its world premiere at Sundance. Gibney wrote and directed based on the book by Pulitzer Prize-winning author Lawrence Wright. In the film, he profiles eight former members of the Church of Scientology, shining a light on how the church cultivates true believers, including their experiences and what they are willing to do in the name of religion. HBO has U.S. television rights to Going Clear and is eyeing a March 16 airdate. Gibney’s Jigsaw Productions is a partner company of Content Media.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/content...ntle-intl-acquires-deutschland-83-1201350857/

Techless

Patron Meritorious
It's not like the movie isn't going to be hacked and be streamed world wide for everyone to see! It's just too darn 'interesting'...

While I don't condone the whole hacking thing, I'm too stupid to figure it out myself but am secure in knowing others can, and will do it.

There's just too much dirt on the whole topic, which is not being properly dealt with (understatement?). It's all to our advantage.

Happy, happy daze.

HelluvaHoax!

Waiting for the day that Scientology issues a press release to the general public stating that "....anyone who watches the HBO documentary is a criminal who is forfeiting their eternity."

Hey, nothing else is working, so Scientologists might as well "double down" and go "all in" on their attack strategies. LOL.

HelluvaHoax!

I have no concern about the Vimeo deal (or anything else) inhibiting market penetration and number of viewings in the world wide markets, and expect that the Going Clear documentary is going to be a huge hit both here in the U.S. as well as a number of other countries. :)

Ohhh, I get what you are saying now. I had misunderstood the earlier post.

I can just see that HBO documentary playing out in a vast number of countries & languages throughout the world.

Scientology is so cringeworthy, this might be the first time in history that a documentary has caused people to look at their tv screens in 150 different countries and all simultaneously yell in 150 different languages: "WTF?!"

Jump

Operating teatime
Ohhh, I get what you are saying now. I had misunderstood the earlier post.

I can just see that HBO documentary playing out in a vast number of countries & languages throughout the world.

Scientology is so cringeworthy, this might be the first time in history that a documentary has caused people to look at their tv screens in 150 different countries and all simultaneously yell in 150 different languages: "WTF?!"

And then people will have a better idea of what to make of all the bullshit, safe pointing, abuse and 'the religion angle'.

--> And tax exemption. <---

HelluvaHoax!

And then people will have a better idea of what to make of all the bullshit, safe pointing, abuse and 'the religion angle'.

--> And tax exemption. <---

def.

Safe Point - verb: The ability of a Scientology church to move into a new location and cause their new neighbors to admire their real estate--while remaining oblivious to their crime wave.

DeeAnna

Patron Meritorious

Waiting for the day that Scientology issues a press release to the general public stating that "....anyone who watches the HBO documentary is a criminal who is forfeiting their eternity."

Hey, nothing else is working, so Scientologists might as well "double down" and go "all in" on their attack strategies. LOL.[/QU

Actually, it would not surprise me at all if they actually did this. They are obviously extremely, extremely out of touch with how the world works nowadays. The big clue: The emails "Statement" from the "church" that went out to all the critics who had reviewed the documentary.

Double foot bullet and a half, that one was! ("Foot bullet", by the way, is one of the few $ciontologese phrases I have adopted.)

I'm just so happy to be here with all of you exes to enjoy this. This situation would be kind of sad in some ways, if it wasn't so xenu-damned funny!

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
Good info.

US restrictions also won't inhibit tech savvy people from using a proxy server. Not that I would ever do that to do something like avoid NBC's execrable Olympics coverage and use the BBC, instead. :melodramatic:

It's kind of funny when you think of the hundreds of millions of dollars that Scientologists pour into their own videos and mini "documentaries" about the miracles of Scientology--yet nobody in the world is the least interested. This results in Scientology staff members wandering around aimlessly on the streets trying to hand out "free tickets" to their "film". LOL . They can't even give it away.

Even more remarkable is that Scientologists treat the org's "Intro Films" like some kind of religious talisman that is supposed to magically convert a wog into a Scientologist. The Scientologists believe that if you can just get someone to sit still in front of one of their video screens, their reactive mind will be temporarily be disabled long enough so that their analytical mind can write a check.

The only thing the endless loop on the intro film running on the big screens that flank the doors to the NYC org did was make me want to run away like Sir Robin. :yes:

Last edited:

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
They will need to invent a special rundown to handle this one. Remember the one for people who had done EST? Maybe a tailored "rollback" along with some False Data Stripping? Make it a Flag only action and boom the stats.

(Place advertising after the HBO showing that sends people to a toll free number for emergency auditing. "Feel bad after watching this show? We can handle that ...")