ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

1/16/13: Nancy Many’s Life in Scientology on Investigation Discovery Series

Discussion in 'Movies, Plays, and Documentaries about Scientology' started by CommunicatorIC, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Wants2Talk

Wants2Talk Silver Meritorious Patron

Nice job Nancy!:thumbsup:

2. AnonyMary

AnonyMary Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

Yes! And now that I watched it again, I realized that I forgot to thank Chris Many and Paulette Cooper. I'm still reeling from the impact this had on me. Brought back some bad memories....

3. Panda Termint

Panda Termint Cabal Of One

:wow: Thank you Nancy, Chris, Paulette and all who participated in this exposure of the Cult Of Scientology and its destructive practices. :clap:

4. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

5. Purple Rain

Purple Rain Crusader

Even if I had never been a Scientologist, the power of that story, just as a story, is phenomenal. I feel like I do after I've been to a good movie, although of course this represents so much more because it shines truth to the world. Nancy I thought looked completely beautiful. I can see from her face that she is at peace. Congratulations and thank you to everybody.

6. Lermanet_com

Lermanet_com Gold Meritorious Patron

I am having great difficulty watching this
    Because of flashbacks, and emotion

This is the most devastating show on $cientology,

EVER.

arnie lerma

7. tetloj

tetloj Silver Meritorious Patron

8. clamicide

clamicide Gold Meritorious Patron

and I'm feeling bad about myself... or maybe just confused. I kept watching it, and going... well, that was business as usual, right? I wanted to hit more deeply on the degradation... and I know it was nothing wrong with the show. It was amazing. And I hated myself for my reaction, but I just felt like that was just normal life. I wasn't in the SO, but so much of it was exact... and I want to know the reactions of those who have never been in contact with the cult. To me, everything that happened to her 'made sense'--as in that is how the cult would react. I know that it's not right... but, that was exactly what would have happened or has happened to me or those I knew (except for being able to route out---THAT blew my mind... except those few who did get to route out--the auditor took the punishment for 'missing withholds', because that's the only reason one wants to leave).

I wonder if it was 'dumbed-down' so the general public would accept it... if so, amen. I guess, perhaps, a show cannot possibly really fully convey the degradation... when she was scouring off of leftovers from other SO members plates... that seemed like 'nothing'. That's how fucked up this cult is.

I've been lucky enough to have amazing counseling on my cult history. My counselor saved my life... but it kills me that nothing here surprised me, and I was looking for worse info to be shown. It doesn't mean I don't have empathy... it just makes me really sad that I can watch something that would be horrific to the majority of people, and I kind of go .... well, yeah... isn't that just daily life in the cult? I wasn't in the SO, but I guess our org pretty much ran that way.

9. Wants2Talk

Wants2Talk Silver Meritorious Patron

I think it had to be dumbed down for general consumption, time constraints, and legal liability reasons.

10. randomx

randomx Patron with Honors

Note to cob

Dear Tiny fists,
    You know that horrendous claustrophobic feeling that you are experiencing after watching this documentary.....
    That`s the feeling you get when your hopes and dreams are being crushed.

It`s how the people who`s hopes and dreams you crushed felt. Not unlike the people you just witnessed on this documentary.

Their hopes and dreams were for a world without war, crime, and insanity.

Now their focus is you tiny fists. You are the war, crime, and insanity, that they hope and dream of being without.

I hear you like running. This would be a good time to do something you like.

The world doesn`t deserve you.

El Tubbo will see you up the line at the other side of the fridge.

Your full length mirror and box of Kleenex await you. CUNT !

11. Lermanet_com

Lermanet_com Gold Meritorious Patron

I had problems watching this because its personal

Nancy and I worked together in the SO, at FOLOEUS, and she was friends with Suzette, and way back in - oh, maybe 98, she and I met again face to face after 25 years at L'Enfant Plaza in DC. I was deeply troubled by the pain and anguish in her face and the shudder in her voice, a face I recall as happy, alive and vibrant - beautiful.

I had posted her short story anonymously for her as Kathryn's Story LINK

I don't recall what was discussed over lunch that day, I only recall trying to understand the extent of her pain and hoping she would be strong enough to keep going on the path.. I recall choosing my words carefully as she seemed so fragile. I tried to give her hope and to encourage her and lend her strength when she needed it.

She has wildly exceeded all expectations I had.

and thank you Nancy, for being exactly as you are, stronger than you ever thought you were...I am, as always, proud to know you. And wow you really kicked their ass, and doesn't THAT feel GREAT!

Arnie Lerma
    Lermanet.com Exposing the CON

And thank you Paulette, and good job to all for the pre-show security.

12. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

Funny ... I had a similar reaction about how much of what we experienced seemed "normal"... that's just the way it was. I admit I shed some tears today for the horrors Nancy faced, in a different way than before. In fact it was Kathryn's Story that helped break the bubble for me, one of the earliest things I read online. I thought how brave this unknown woman was to admit to 'being broken' and I was happy when I found out that Kathryn was in fact the wonderful Nancy. Watching these videos reminded me of similar stories of my own that I will perhaps be able to tell one day. Different but similar ... trusting and loving women reduced to shells of despair and unbelievable distress by this cult. And it seemed "normal".

Thank you so much Nancy. Your courage and inner peace shine through and you have helped so many with your words. :rose:

13. Purple Rain

Purple Rain Crusader

That was beautiful, Arnie, and can I also say thankyou for posting Kathryn's story. It was the first story I read when I came to ESMB and from that point I truly knew that Scientology was much worse than I thought. I am sure many Americans have realised the same thing since yesterday.

14. Purple Rain

Purple Rain Crusader

I didn't find the eating off plates scene normal at all. I was just sitting there thinking oh my god this woman is PREGNANT and they're not feeding her! There is something sacred about pregnancy and birth to me, and I have never known anyone to violate an expecting mother like that. I'm sure that pregnant women in domestic violence situations are often treated appallingly also, but it's something you have to keep hidden isn't it? Sneaky, dirty behaviour to endanger the health of an innocent child and a childbearing woman.

15. Sock Puppy

Sock Puppy Patron with Honors

Part three is up:

[video=youtube;KTX1JKYmCrI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTX1JKYmCrI[/video]

16. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

It is so bad that lots of people probably don't get it unless they actually see a re-enactment as in the videos.

Holy hell! That's my reaction. I hope there are lots more re-enactment type documentaries.

17. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

I won't go into my story here ... experiencing a total non caring attitude towards my 2 pregnancies while on staff in 2 different places was not an unusual thing. Thankfully it wasn't SO or RPF and I could eat but sleep was hard to come by, or any other normal care of a pregnant woman. It wasn't particularly hidden, it was just how it was so no-one took any notice. (I eventually reached my limit and on medical advice blew before I lost my baby.)

It's the whole culture of the cult that needs to be, and is being exposed. I wonder how many mothers who were in the SO or on staff have watched this program and realised how insane it all is, if they hadn't before?

18. Sock Puppy

Sock Puppy Patron with Honors

Part 4 is up:

[video=youtube_share;Cs_rnnuCb18]http://youtu.be/Cs_rnnuCb18[/video]

19. Purple Rain

Purple Rain Crusader

Yes, staff would be bad for a pregnant woman. Rest is so important. I am so glad you made the choice to save your child's life.

Also I am a great believer that a happy mother makes a happy baby. All those hormones produced when a woman is stressed cross the placenta. The two newborns I had with colic were both born after pregnancies at particularly stressful times in my life.

With my firstborn the pastor tore strips off me for getting pregnant until I was crying so much I was hyperventilating. He was a former army captain so he really knew how to face rip. That was in my first cult. Both my boyfriend and I were sitting there and he said, "Purple, I blame YOU for this because you should have known better." Then none of our friends from school were allowed to come to the wedding. When they threatened to turn up anyway he told us that if they did he would go home without marrying us. I wore a $40 dress off the rack and we got married in someone's backyard. We also had to go to court to get permission because the age of consent for males was 18 and we were both 17.

[​IMG]

Then we were living in a $25 a week flat converted from one of the bedrooms in somebody's house. We had no transport and lived over the other side of the city from all my school friends, who were busy doing ordinary kid stuff. Meanwhile I was trying to pretend to be interested in what the adult women talked about at church coffee mornings - recipes, bargains and developmental milestones. We were too poor to go anywhere or do anything. I got addicted to soap operas. I was terribly lonely. We often argued, particularly over money. I lost respect for him. It was all very sad. Then when the baby was born she screamed - all the time. It was awful.

The next baby I had with colic was my fourth daughter - the first with my second husband. While I was pregnant with her my eldest daughter became terribly unhappy. She withdrew into herself and wouldn't speak to me. In the end I let her go and live with her dad in the hope she would smile again, but my heart was breaking. Also my second marriage, to a fellow staff member, wasn't great. The kids really disliked him and I felt very torn. Also we were just incompatible really when you took the Scientology out of it. It was one of those "I had to marry in the Sea Org" to have a relationship things. Huge mistake. So just another terrible time in my life.

All my other children were really very contented, happy little people from the word go.

20. AnonSunshine

AnonSunshine Patron with Honors

Thank you Nancy, Chris, Paulette, and all people who made this documentary possible. :clap:

When I had left the Cult, and discovered what a lie it was, I had what people call a psychotic break.
    I could not eat, nor even drink. I lost 11 pounds in two weeks. I could not sleep, was having hallucinations, and I was a whole month in bed. :omg: :bigcry:
    I called Nancy at that time, and she was very nice to me as was Arnie Lerma. I told her what had happened to me, she understood it, and encouraged me. :thumbsup:

I do not believe in Scientology since. :notworthy:
    I think it is mind control, it is there to crab your money and control you, belittle your dreams, and this documentary should be seen by the whole world, especially by young people.

It is not a religion in my point of view, and it destroys families.
    I was fortunate enough to have left when I did. Thank to ex-scientologists, who put their true stories in the internet.
    :dancer: :rose: :handinhand:

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: