ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

1/16/13: Nancy Many’s Life in Scientology on Investigation Discovery Series

Discussion in 'Movies, Plays, and Documentaries about Scientology' started by CommunicatorIC, Jan 8, 2013.

1. sallydannce

sallydannce Gold Meritorious Patron

Thank you. I love you and I'm so very grateful you made it out of the mind control system.

:rose:

Like you I broke when I began deprogramming my mind. I was way outside reality for some time. I honestly still do not for how long.

Like you, I am grateful for all the former members of this cruel cult that find a way to tell their stories. It isn't easy. It isn't easy when you can't find the words to describe the living hell that the cult inflicts upon people. It isn't easy to find ones voice when one feels so broken.

But we do. We survived a mind control system. Not victims, but shining examples of the wonder and strength of the human spirit.

Nancy, I hope one day you may sense the enormity and pure magnificence of what you have done. I just shake my head in awe of your loving gift to us all. Thank you for being there for those of us that were broken and being such a sweet inspiration. My gratitude for you is vast. :rose:

I also would like to extend my deepest gratitude to Chris. When I read Nancy's book, a couple of years ago, I kept saying to myself "God this man is stunning, her support, her anchor, her love. A true man." :flowers:

My love and respect to Paulette. You have inspired and shown me a type of courage which I embraced and observed closely when I was very lost. Thank you so very much. :rose:

And finally to all the cast and crew who have given the world something extraordinary, thank you so much. :flowers:

2. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Haven't had time to watch this yet. Consolidated these posts featuring all the videos.

3. Wants2Talk

Wants2Talk Silver Meritorious Patron

I think you are on to something here. The culture of the cult needs to be exposed.

4. Veda

Veda Sponsor

It's not just the culture. It's the deceptively multi-layered doctrine and teaching of its founder.

5. Wants2Talk

Yes. - I just meant to inoculate potential raw meant and raise public disgust - less money - weaker - and less public willingness to protect this faith.

6. Free Being Me

Free Being Me Crusader

Thank you Nancy, Chris and Paulette for having the courage to tell the truth of what Hubbard's $cientology really does to people. All three of you are an inspiration that human decency, caring and compassion, can triumph over evil. The evil Hubbard cult is being exposed with the light of truth and I'm grateful that you three are part of the light.

7. Opter

Opter Silver Meritorious Patron

I just watched the whole thing and it is OUTSTANDING.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Opter

8. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent Silver Meritorious Patron

Thank you for posting the videos!
    Nancy, Chris and Paulette and the crew for Dangerous Persuasions, you did a tremendous job!
    It was so true to Nancy's book. Often these things are not, true to the author or have some unexpected take on things.
    Nancy, you must have had tremendous input for it to come out that accurately. I don't know how any scientologist could watch that and still stay in.

Nancy had real physical damage to her, maybe never actually stricken, I don't know. But rpf experience, sleeping in a garage, physical and
    mental degradation, malnourishment, mental abuse, etc. I've seen into the sea org from the outside and it was very
    clear to me that treatments were ruthless but it was clandestine and even though I was in a long time I never really saw much behind the curtain.

Even if one was not on the rpf or even in the sea org, the control mechanisms were worked on everyone. I was, many times, "held" by mental restraints
    alone. No chains, no walls. Just brainwashing to make me stay, with many brainwashing "interrogation sessions" over the years. The degradation was similar
    and it was very hard not to feel it when watching the show. It certainly brought back bad memories and strong feelings. It was downright disturbing, which means it was a good show!
    So many times what is demanded of you or proposed was so far out of alignment with your life, your goals, your family and there was no letting up. The badgering just never ends. Never.
    It lets up for awhile and you try to justify the insane behavior and just carry on, but you are always someone's meat again, sooner or later.

The disturbing part, I now realize, was that while watching I remembered feeling like I was cracking but you just cannot show it. It's all inside you. You
    can't even talk to anyone about it. You want the group to win and achieve it's stated purpose. And the way you're made to feel just doesn't add up. You'll be labeled an sp or pts or
    even an enemy if you even dare speak of it. If you tell the "correct terminals" you'll just get someone maybe being nice and understanding for a short while and then, whamo, back
    to business as usual craziness. I'm sure people on upper levels have been caught between the cs, ethics, and family. You can't let on to any that you're unhappy about something.
    It just leads to hell if you open your mouth. It might read as something light or not so bad, but it is. It is evil and it is slavery. It has nothing to do with freedom. Not yours and not theirs.

Lurkers, just get out while you can. There is nothing there.
    It is amazing to me how fast one can and does recover. You can't ignore the damage done but you can work through it and at a pretty surprising pace. Life just opens doors for you, too
    Good things happen. You will not die from leaving, but you are likely to die from staying in. I'm amazed at all the good and wonderful things that have happened to me since I have closed the door on
    scn.

9. clamicide

clamicide Gold Meritorious Patron

Just a thanks to those who responded or gave likes to my post. I had grave reservations about posting on it, because I didn't want to 'make it about me'. In a bit of reflection, I think the show did have to be tempered, because the 'real world' would think the truth completely unbelievable.

I really do want to get some feedback from those outside as to what their impression is... I am going to send it to my brother, but would be especially interested in those who have no contact. I think it's because when I watch this, I put in all the background, and the deeper degradation that went along with life in the cult.

I've asked my son if he would consider posting here again... thinking in particular of one horrific Christmas, because I, again, see that the stuff in this wonderful doc was 'normal'. Any suggestions where he should put it, since he asked me the best place and said he'd be happy to do it? He was 13 or 14... and a slave in an org, not even the SO. Sorry, I'm just sort of breaking up emotionally right now... I know how horrific his life was, I got a son still in who is disconnected, and this doc just seemed 'toned down', and I'm wondering a little bit if that's one reason I'm somebody who has not rebounded like others, because I actually was so broken down as life being that horrible...

Definitely a thought-provoking doc... and sorry for tl;dr, but is there a link for the whole series? As I said, I want to send it to my brother (who doesn't have cable) and also thinking about sending it to my dad...I'd like to give him a little more perspective on what I went through, and he's coming into town next week. *shoiks!* (don't ask)

10. Wants2Talk

This is so true and well stated.

11. dchoiceisalwaysrs

dchoiceisalwaysrs Gold Meritorious Patron

Clamicide you asked "but is there a link for the whole series? " and yes Veda's did his wonderful stuff again and grouped them together in post 122 on this thread.

12. koki

koki Silver Meritorious Patron

this is why I love internet ...
    in a day , i was watching it in LRHs Bulgravia!!!!:thumbsup:
    a show was :clap:!

where I could find more about Elcons Messiah project ? ...please.:confused2:

13. Boson Wog Stark

Boson Wog Stark Patron Meritorious

I thought the show was well done, and it is definitely one of the important approaches that has been lacking in exposing the real experience of one individual. Having Nancy narrate made it seem all the more compelling, fascinating and shocking.

As some of you know, I came to criticize Scientology by hearing about the hoopla surrounding the Tom Cruise interview with Lauer -- I can't remember if I saw it on TV and then went to YouTube to watch it or the other way around. I was on dial-up service at the time and it could take an hour or more to download an 8 minute video. Then, I watched the Tom Cruise video on YouTube. It was really the video that caused me to go to Clambake, ARS, and read Miller's book in the first week.

I can honestly say, at that time anyway, without high speed access, and if I had not noticed that thing about Tom Cruise speaking to Lauer, I'm not sure I would have noticed any articles about David Miscavige's violence, or slapping underlings, or the plight of ex-members, even after I got high speed access.

However, I know that I would have been fascinated and alarmed by seeing Nancy's story on TV, although I wouldn't have seen it since I don't have cable. However, today in 2013, if I found some mention of it that it was on YouTube, I definitely would have watched it.

Usually, when I'm reading information about Scientology -- and it's been a major interest of mine since the Lauer interview -- I'm not sure how new people will react to it -- I mean people who know nothing or little about Scientology. With this true life drama TV show of Nancy's though, I know that would have been powerful, and so eye opening, that they even have this "Sea Org" and people infiltrating psychiatry, the following of a writer like Paulette Cooper. It it so weird and Nancy explains it plainly and clearly in a way that makes sense, why she was interested and drawn into it.

What I think would be difficult for the new viewer to grasp is, why would Nancy and/or Chris allow themselves to be punished if they didn't know what the were being punished for? The first time, Nancy, thought it may have been that she flinched when she was presented with or tested with the Messiah Project thing. However, being removed from executives at the CC -- they didn't even know? Couldn't they think back to a disagreement they may have had with someone that may have turned them in?

I understand that the mindfk does even worse things to people, such that they'll separate from their spouse or children forever, because they feel they are a negative influence on themselves or the organization, but at least being an SP is some kind of convoluted reason. To function in an organization where one look, or a few wrong words to the wrong person, would result in imprisonment and deprivation just seems unfathomable, in the U.S.

I know from reading enough stories of individuals in Scientology that Hubbard could be particularly capricious in what someone told him to set him off. He was paranoid as hell and he could be misinformed too, by individuals positioning themselves as trusted, or that might be paranoid too, and misinterpret something. This happens in an ordinary business office, where there's people wanting better positions or more interesting work.

In a very odd way, seeing what Nancy and Chris went through, could, for some people -- although a minority -- make them think that the subject of Scientology must be so tantalizing or do something great for a person -- for people to go through what they do. However, even for that, maybe one in a hundred who might think that, after seeing Nancy's story, they would probably want to research further about what this whole organization is about and how it works.

The thing that gets me about people who feel they need to "see for themselves" in 2012, or 2013, is not only are they doing this for themselves, but every dollar they give, or time they give as workers, is helping this organization trap more people. So, I think Nancy's show (and book) is going to help a lot of people over the long run, and rather than just being on an obscure cable show, the Internet gives it longevity and accessibility, which is great.

One thing about Wright's book, it is going to increase interest in the stories of ex-members, so y'all be ready to tell yours.

14. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

YouTube: Nancy Many’s Scientology My Eternal Contract - Dangerous Persuasions

Someone uploaded this 43 1/2-minute video on YouTube:

Scientology My Eternal Contract - Dangerous Persuasions

[video=youtube_share;bdgqDWWuAnw]http://youtu.be/bdgqDWWuAnw[/video]