What's new

1972 French report on Scientology: can you ID anyone?

Free Will

Patron with Honors
I think you've got them identified properly. I don't think it is Peter Buttery as he only came to Saint Hill later in the 70's, was more scruffy and certainly didn't speak so properly, more of a Cockney mumble.

The minister is definitely Ian Logan of Finance WW, he officiated at my brother Alistair's wedding in October 1974 (such a pity I lost all the photos as we had 20 or more AOSHUK crew in them). He also ordained me as a minister when we all did the Minister's Course as mentioned by Paul above. I remember when practising the marriage service I read "plough and veg thee" instead of "vow and pledge thee".

We were briefed that LRH foresaw a possibility of war in the Gulf, something to do with OPEC manipulating international oil prices unfavorably for US and UK. Our being ministers would both keep us draft-free and beef up our fake religious image.

As I recall the chapel was only ever used when reporters were coming, and for the occasional wedding, certainly not every week. As best man for my brother's wedding I went in early that Saturday morning and found the place filthy with dust and cobwebs. Had to get Monica Quirino and all the HCO Expeditors to help me clean it up before my parents arrived, to avoid a major flap, since they were already dubious about the religious nature of Scientology.

When Joan Bakewell was coming most SO were told to keep out of sight and say nothing,so the fake church choir (still led by Rev Lyn Collins) could act like their 'service' was a regular thing.

Lisbon

Hi Ozzie

I'm knew to this and have no clue what I am doing lol ...but I remember you very well in 1971 at the Platt in Sharpthorne!

Caruso

I was rather touched by your story, in fact inspired and have used it to help someone else on a different matter
I know you from 1971 in Sharpthorne and you would know me lol!
I hope you are well and coping ok now x

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Let me refresh your memories (and mine):

attachment.php

stonelands4.jpg

ozzie

Patron with Honors
Re: Hi Ozzie

I'm knew to this and have no clue what I am doing lol ...but I remember you very well in 1971 at the Platt in Sharpthorne!

Hi there, can't make a name or face from your moniker, send me a pm. Don't get on here much, but will keep an eye out for any messages. Remember Sharpthorne well.

ozzie

Patron with Honors
Hi Lou Lou...No but I remember that place. Were you there? Do you know Ozzie? or Nettie?

Do I know you Caruso?? Would love to talk if I do. Nothing like meeting up again with old friends. Did my sister Nettie know you?

caruso2

Do I know you Caruso?? Would love to talk if I do. Nothing like meeting up again with old friends. Did my sister Nettie know you?
Ozzie Sorry but for some reason I am having a nightmare with this forum lol ...Yes you know me from way way back. I would love to geneinely catch up and swap stories, maybe we can do that by email first off if you like. You can email me at [email protected] :)

Buttery

When Peter Buttery came to Flag in the either late 1970s or early 1980s, I thought he was shorter than the fellow on camera.

And I thought Peter had lighter hair?

100% this is not Peter Buttery. And he is alive and well... how do I know... he is my Father, albeit a poor one

strativarius

100% this is not Peter Buttery. And he is alive and well... how do I know... he is my Father, albeit a poor one

That's very odd. I read that he had fallen into disfavour as an auditor and C/S and was sent to work at a menial job where he had fallen and hit his head and subsequently died of his injuries. Are you saying that none of that is in fact true?

At the time of the Lisa McPherson death, he was the Senior C/S for the Class XII unit, and would have had the title of Deputy Senior C/S FSO. The C/S on the Lisa McPherson case was the late Peter Buttery... Source
And
I do appreciate your viewpoint and the opportunity to discuss your beliefs with you, but it is time to take it to the "Opinions and Debate" section. I will tell you all about Lisa McPherson's Class XII auditor/CS Peter Buttery who was busted from his high tech post after years of being one of the top auditors in the world and sent to work in the PC folder warehouse where he fell off a stack of folders and suffered a severe head injury. Source
And
Peter Buttery (OT VIII) (Permanently ORDERED Off tech Lines by RTC) (deceased) Source

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Let me refresh your memories (and mine):

attachment.php

I lived there at Stonelands (Sea Org berthing four miles from Saint Hill in the 70s) for seven years. Now it kinda looks like one of those old movie insane asylums -- a not wholly inappropriate comparison, of course. :)

High-Royds-Asylum-38.jpg

Paul

strativarius

I lived there at Stonelands (Sea Org berthing four miles from Saint Hill in the 70s) for seven years. Now it kinda looks like one of those old movie insane asylums -- a not wholly inappropriate comparison, of course. :)

Stonelands is where the Saint Hill RPF lived and sometimes did manual tasks when we weren't digging the foundations for the castle at SH. This is the 'boathouse' at Stonelands where we all crashed out. Ahh, happy days.

(If you happen to be lurking L4, look away now.)