What's new

3/7-8/15: Scientology doc Going Clear @ True/False Film Festival, Columbia, Missouri

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
3/7-8/15: Scientology doc Going Clear @ True/False Film Festival, Columbia, Missouri.

http://truefalse.org/program/films#going-clear

Going Clear

Based on Lawrence Wright’s exposé of Scientology, Going Clear is a jaw-dropping, bonkers piece of journalism. Piling engrossing, sometimes salacious details sky high, Alex Gibney traces the story back to the movement’s origins in the pulp fiction of the postwar era and its founder L. Ron Hubbard’s bizarre melding of psychology, celebrity worship, and sci fi. It locates vivid details with some of the organization’s apostates, who had intimate knowledge of its inner workings. Mixed in with the fascistic imagery—nothing can quite prepare you for the Albert Speer–inspired stagecraft of Scientology gatherings or its enforcement squad, “the squirrel busters”—are tabloid-like revelations about Tom Cruise and John Travolta. The film gives insight into why intelligent, curious individuals can allow themselves to be degraded. Going Clear is scary-good. (PS)

Dir. Alex Gibney; 2015; 120 min.

Sat, Mar 7 / 3:30PM / Missouri Theatre No reserve tickets
Sat, Mar 7 / 9:30PM / Cornell Hall No reserve tickets
Sun, Mar 8 / 9:30AM / The Vimeo Theater at The Blue Note No reserve tickets

In person: Dir. Alex Gibney

attachment.php

HT - WWP: https://whyweprotest.net/threads/go...true-false-film-fest-march-7-8-meetup.123742/

Attachments

• TrueFalse.jpg
    TrueFalse.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 149

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Re: 3/7-8/15: Scientology doc Going Clear @ True/False Film Festival, Columbia, Misso

3/7-8/15: Scientology doc Going Clear @ True/False Film Festival, Columbia, Missouri.

http://truefalse.org/program/films#going-clear

Going Clear

Based on Lawrence Wright’s exposé of Scientology, Going Clear is a jaw-dropping, bonkers piece of journalism. Piling engrossing, sometimes salacious details sky high, Alex Gibney traces the story back to the movement’s origins in the pulp fiction of the postwar era and its founder L. Ron Hubbard’s bizarre melding of psychology, celebrity worship, and sci fi. It locates vivid details with some of the organization’s apostates, who had intimate knowledge of its inner workings. Mixed in with the fascistic imagery—nothing can quite prepare you for the Albert Speer–inspired stagecraft of Scientology gatherings or its enforcement squad, “the squirrel busters”—are tabloid-like revelations about Tom Cruise and John Travolta. The film gives insight into why intelligent, curious individuals can allow themselves to be degraded. Going Clear is scary-good. (PS)

Dir. Alex Gibney; 2015; 120 min.

Sat, Mar 7 / 3:30PM / Missouri Theatre No reserve tickets
Sat, Mar 7 / 9:30PM / Cornell Hall No reserve tickets
Sun, Mar 8 / 9:30AM / The Vimeo Theater at The Blue Note No reserve tickets

In person: Dir. Alex Gibney

attachment.php

HT - WWP: https://whyweprotest.net/threads/go...true-false-film-fest-march-7-8-meetup.123742/

Does "no reserve tickets"mean that the cult can not just go and buy up all the tickets in advance so that nobody else gets to see the movie? If so, that's awesome, because many years ago, they pulled a similar stunt when they bought up all versions of a certain newspaper release that contained a critical article about the cult. IIRC, back then, it was the Tampa Bay Times.

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: 3/7-8/15: Scientology doc Going Clear @ True/False Film Festival, Columbia, Misso

Does "no reserve tickets"mean that the cult can not just go and buy up all the tickets in advance so that nobody else gets to see the movie? If so, that's awesome, because many years ago, they pulled a similar stunt when they bought up all versions of a certain newspaper release that contained a critical article about the cult. IIRC, back then, it was the Tampa Bay Times.

They did that to the Clearwater Sun.
Considering what they printed, I can understand.

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron

Thanks for that correction. Yeah, Clearwater Sun makes more sense than what I had in mind. :thumbsup:

No sweat.. if you hadn't posted the wrong name, I'd have no reason to provide the right the name, with a link to some amazing articles.

It's funny... it is an example of how tough it is to determine the ultimate consequences of our actions...or errors.

arnie lerma

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter

A review of Going Clear from the True False Film Festival posted on WWP:

https://whyweprotest.net/threads/go...lm-fest-march-7-8-meetup.123742/#post-2519646

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

Just wanted to pop in real quick and say a few things.

Saw the film, but just barely. Seats are very hotly contested. I showed up for the first screening more than 90 minutes ahead of time and did not get in. The next screening I tried to show up 2 hours early for and still ended up with a 3 digit number on my "Q", but lucked into a ticket and then lucked into a lenient ticket taker. My one word review: Fantastic!

Though not, in my humble opinion, the "best film" I've seen at the fest so far, certainly a contender for the most important. In fact, I can't overstate how important this film is for its subject. When I first learned about Scientology, it seemed to be a taboo subject to talk about. Many people were: a. uninformed and dismissive, b. uninformed and defensive, c.informed but couldn't or wouldn't talk about it. A few people I talked to were supportive of or interested in my cause, but talking about it in certain contexts could be counterproductive and cause a backlash, even amongst skeptics (and especially when discussing forced abortions).

Now I hear the occasional talk of Scientology and L. Ron Hubbard just from walking down the street. In between the first two screenings in line for a completely unrelated film, two girls were explicitly talking about Scientology's tax exempt status. I asked if they had seen Going Clear and everyone immediately around me started talking about Going Clear. READ: Locals from Columbia and people from across the country (and maybe a few from outside the States) are casually talking about Scientology with each other. If I wasn't telling you this myself, I wouldn't believe it. Even if the film made a couple of minor missteps, it is overall irrelevant. Alex Gibney is a motherfuckin' magician. His choice to preview in Columbia has done wonders here. When there is an updated list of Top People Who Have Crippled Scientology, he WILL make the cut. And maybe the tipping point is within reach.

(I have been collecting media from the festival but that is another discussion for another time.)

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *