3/9/15: Scientology Doc Going Clear at Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA)

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
3/9/15: Scientology Doc Going Clear at Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA).

Indiewire: 'Mad Men,' 'While We're Young,' Scientology Doc Set for Film Independent at LACMA

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompson...oc-set-for-film-independent-at-lacma-20150219

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Film Independent at LACMA has landed four enticing programs to soothe your post-Oscars fatigue this March, beginning with Noah Baumbach's "While We're Young" screening March 5.

[DELETED]

On Monday, March 9, Film Independent screens "Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief" at LACMA, just before Alex Gibney's "bombshell" Scientology doc, which premiered at Sundance, plays HBO. (Here's our take on what to expect.)

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

http://www.filmindependent.org/lacm...g-clear-scientology-and-the-prison-of-belief/

attachment.php

attachment.php

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

Free Members-Only Screening: Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief
Monday, March 9

7:30 pm | Includes a conversation with writer/director Alex Gibney

Academy Award-winning documentary filmmaker Alex Gibney has never shied away from controversial subjects, from his 2007 film, Taxi to the Dark Side, which detailed the circumstance behind the death of an Afghani taxi driver at the hands of American soldiers, to his groundbreaking factual look at ground zero of major financial institutional maleficence, 2005’s Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room. In his newest film for HBO, Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief (which recently played at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival), he turns to Lawrence Wright’s exciting and tough-minded 2013 nonfiction book of the same name (Wright also serves as a producer on the documentary). Gibney gets eloquent interviews from disenchanted former members of the Church of Scientology—such as writer/director Paul Haggis and Spanky Taylor (former liaison to John Travolta)—as Going Clear offers a look at the history of Scientology and goes over allegations of intimidation in many forms made against the religion and its leadership. Gibney will be in attendance for a Q&A after the screening.

Followed by a reception in the courtyard.

2015, 120 min, color, DCP | Written by Alex Gibney, based on Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright; directed by Alex Gibney

Ticketing Information

Film Independent, LACMA Film Club, and The New York Times Film Club members can reserve tickets starting at 12 pm on Thursday, February 19. | Free; limit two tickets per membership. | Proof of member status is required to reserve tickets during advance reservation period.

PLEASE NOTE: Tickets for this event can be picked up at LACMA’s Ticket Office, located in the Hammer Building, on the day of the event—as early as 11 am. Tickets are for general, unreserved seating. Ticketed guests must be in their seat 15 minutes prior to the advertised start time or seat(s) may be released. Reservations do not guarantee entry, even with a ticket in hand. Entry is first come, first served, so please arrive early. Program and guest participation subject to change or cancellation without prior notice. Tickets are nontransferable and can only be picked up by the individual who purchased or reserved them.

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *

EDITED TO ADD:

Because the screening is free for members of Film Independent but also requires membership, I thought I should provide membership fee information.

https://my.filmindependent.org/membership

It appears the minimum membership is $95 per year, or $170 for two years.

Attachments

• FILACMA - 001.jpg
    FILACMA - 001.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 133
  • FILACMA - 002.jpg
    FILACMA - 002.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
http://www.lacma.org/event/going-clear

attachment.php

attachment.php

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

Free Members-Only Screening, Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief

Monday, March 9, 2015 | 7:30 pm

2015, 120 min, color, DCP | Written by Alex Gibney, based on Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright; directed by Alex Gibney

Sponsored by HBO

Includes a conversation with writer-director Alex Gibney

Academy Award®–winning documentary filmmaker Alex Gibney has never shied away from controversial subjects: from his 2007 film, Taxi to the Dark Side, which detailed the circumstance behind the death of an Afghani taxi driver at the hands of American soldiers, to his groundbreaking factual look at financial maleficence in 2005’s Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room. In his newest film for HBO, Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief (which recently played at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival), he turns to Lawrence Wright’s exciting and tough-minded 2013 nonfiction book of the same name (Wright also serves as a producer on the documentary). Gibney gets eloquent interviews from disenchanted former members of the Church of Scientology—such as writer-director Paul Haggis and Spanky Taylor (former liaison to John Travolta). Going Clear offers a look at the history of Scientology and looks at allegations of intimidation in many forms made against the religion and its leadership. Gibney will be in attendance for a Q&A after the screening.

A reception follows in the courtyard.

In conjunction with Film Independent at LACMA.

LACMA, Bing Theater

Film Independent, LACMA Film Club, and The New York Times Film Club members can reserve tickets starting at noon on Thursday, February 19. | Free; limit two tickets per membership. | Proof of member status is required to reserve tickets during advance reservation period. | Reserve online.

PLEASE NOTE: Tickets for this event can be picked up at LACMA’s Ticket Office, located in the Hammer Building, on the day of the event—as early as 11 am. Tickets are for general, unreserved seating. Ticketed guests must be in their seat 15 minutes prior to the advertised start time or seat(s) may be released. Reservations do not guarantee entry, even with a ticket in hand. Entry is first come, first served, so please arrive early. Program and guest participation subject to change or cancellation without prior notice. Tickets are nontransferable and can only be picked up by the individual who purchased or reserved them.

Plan Your Visit

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *

Attachments

• LACMAFI-001.jpg
    LACMAFI-001.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 127
  • LACMAFI-002.jpg
    LACMAFI-002.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 130

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
EDITED TO ADD:

Because screening is free for members of Film Independent but also requires membership, I thought I should provide membership fee information.

https://my.filmindependent.org/membership

It appears the minimum membership is $95 per year, or $170 for two years.
Also, a free high-resolution photograph of all LA attendees
will be taken outside the theater prior to the screening.
:coolwink:
No extra charge! :yes:

Leland

Crusader
The LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art )...should bring in an interesting crowd.

Good move.

Plus...showing much earlier than the HBO broadcast....more word of mouth!!

ExSince2002

Patron
If I paid people to hand out flyers for this on the public sidewalk in front of our local org, what do you think the reaction would be?

ForLease

Maximus Squirrel
Tickets went on sale yesterday.

I tried to buy some today.

SOLD OUT. :omg:

Guess I'll be bumping up the ratings on HBO instead. :duh:

Jump

Operating teatime
That was fast.

:ohmy:

i hope it was pre-orders from the members and not a dwarf phoning for a large group booking, and then their bus gets lost on the way so the screening ends up with mostly empty seats.

But now if that was the case it would be all over the papers the next day lol