What's new

A Book on Scientology By TV Journalist Steve Cannane Nearing Completion

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
From deep within the Underground Bunker, Tony Ortega writes...

Here’s a bit of news we’ve been keeping under our hat. Steve Cannane, one of Australia’s excellent television journalists who cover Scientology, told us some time ago that he’d signed a contract to write a book about Scientology’s history Down Under.

Scientology has a long and controversial background in Australia, and Cannane has been hard at work interviewing people and digging up documents for his book. He doesn’t have a publication date for us yet, but he agreed to let us reveal that his project is nearing completion after we pestered him recently with a question about an obscure document.

<snip>

Read Full Post: http://tonyortega.org/2014/12/05/st...nd-helps-us-with-a-history-lesson/#more-18430

In this post Tony provides an analysis of an LRH document from 1966 that Steve did as an example of the type of work he does. Very much worth checking out. :thumbsup: http://tonyortega.org/2014/12/05/st...nd-helps-us-with-a-history-lesson/#more-18430

Last edited:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
This is most excellent. Steve has done an excellent job interviewing exes in Australia for the ABC and I can't wait to see this book. :clap:

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
I've just been browsing the Bunker and notice that Larry Lester popped up there with a comment.:omg:

Now THERE'S someone who would know a lot about the cult back in the 70s and 80s in Oz.:yes:

I'm sure Steve's book is going to cause OSA some heartache now that they know he's writing it - guess it's sleeping under the desks time again, OSAspawn.:roflmao:

All in all, it's another FUCK YOU, OSA !!!

Hehehe:devil:

R2-45

Silver Meritorious Patron
... guess it's sleeping under the desks time again...

What?

Sleep?

Desks?

This is a Hill 10, maybe this is even a Hill 11.

There will be no more desks until further notice!

No CSWs will be approved until further notice.

Beans and rice, if that.

Make money. Make more money. Make others produce so as to make more money!

:hysterical:

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
I'm very excited about this forthcoming book. The history of Scientology is so important to have in book form. I really like Steve and wish him much success. :thumbsup:

JustSheila

Crusader
Fantastic news! :thumbsup: Steve has been so much help to us here in Aus, getting the truth out and up on the news. He's a fantastic person, a great reporter and I'm sure his book will be extremely interesting. He has always dug in to get the details and has a big, kind heart. I am so grateful to him for all he's done.

Oh is the midget ever going to throw a tantrum about this one! :roflmao:

A_Toddler_Throwing_a_Temper_Tantrum_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_100201-160889-832053.jpg

mysterysandwich

Patron with Honors
I could tell him a few tales about life on staff in the 70's as well. Anyone know how I might get in touch with him (if not too late)?

I've just been browsing the Bunker and notice that Larry Lester popped up there with a comment.:omg:

Now THERE'S someone who would know a lot about the cult back in the 70s and 80s in Oz.:yes:

I'm sure Steve's book is going to cause OSA some heartache now that they know he's writing it - guess it's sleeping under the desks time again, OSAspawn.:roflmao:

All in all, it's another FUCK YOU, OSA !!!

Hehehe:devil:

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
AUDIO: Scientology in Australia

ABC News Australia: Scientology in Australia

http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/overnights/scientology/8043320

Audio at link.

* * * * * BEGIN INTRODUCTION * * * * *

Download (16.80 MB)

How important has Australia been in the history of scientology worldwide. What was its appeal for Australian celebrities like James Packer and Nicole Kidman -and what was it like for those Australians in Scientology families? Here’s Trevor Chappell with Steve Cannane, author of ‘Fair Game - The Incredible Untold Story of Scientology in Australia’ Steve is also the ABC’s Europe Correspondent

Duration: 36min 42sec
Broadcast: Mon 21 Nov 2016, 2:00am
Published: Mon 21 Nov 2016, 6:13pm

* * * * * END INTRODUCTION * * * * *

RogerB

Crusader
Is it a good book? Does anyone who read it have any comments about it?

It is a good book. You seem to have not read it . . . you ought do so.

It is not dry history but instead reads like an adventure story which also contains some revelations . . .

RogerB

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
How did Booboo wind up banned after only 3 posts? Was the post that got him banned removed or something or can you self-ban yourself?

Booboo made a boo boo?

M

Moderator 3375

How did Booboo wind up banned after only 3 posts? Was the post that got him banned removed or something or can you self-ban yourself?

Booboo made a boo boo?

Yes Booboo made a boo boo by being a sockpuppet of someone banned. All is well. :)

I have been reading Steve's book - OMG - there's stuff in there I have never read anywhere else. If you haven't gotten the book - please do. It's more than merely scientology down under, with Hubbard cuddling with Koalas and wombats and platypii? platypuses?

I especially was surprised to find out why DM got Terri Gillham out of the country during the time he and Marty were bamboozling the IRS - she was a permanent signatory of the CST, and had the IRS interviewed her - Scientology could have been a pimple on history's ass, instead of a festering boil.

Mimsey

51s6EZ0QN5L._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:
A question that was raised in the book was this: Since Terri is a lifetime signatory of the CST, she could mount an attack to oust David Miscavage. She and her husband seriously considered this. So why didn't you? was the essence of what the author wanted to know. Other than it would be an uphill battle, since Miscavage is a master at holding on to his power, and would do anything to fend off such an assault, there is the problem of what to do when you took up the reigns.

Seeing as she would want anyone who requested a refund to have it, that would bankrupt the church in short order. And then there's being in the middle of the cross fire from all sides. When she was interviewed, she was 60 and that was a fight she didn't want to pursue.

At one point in the years past, she had tried to get DM to drop disconnection and allow families to reconnect, She got as far as discussing it with Monique Yingling. Nothing came of it, for the rather simple reason - if there were no disconnection, David would lose whatever paying public he still has as the reconnecting people told the still in's what's really going on.

It's a very smart book, well written, please avail yourself of it if you haven't already.

Mimsey