What's new

A Freewinds experience

Carmel

Crusader
Years ago when the Freewinds first came about, we heard all sorts of wonderful stories about it. Several friends of ours were on the maiden voyage, and went on the subsequent annual voyages. We knew several who went on the Freewinds and just raved about it. Never heard of anyone who didn't love it.

15 years ago, my spouse and I incorporated a stint on the Freewinds during an overseas business trip. We were looking forward to it, and thought it would be a bit of a treat for us.

We got to the ship early. But then for some reason I wasn't allowed on. They wouldn't tell us what the problem was. They were trying to get my spouse to board without me (It wasn't until after I got home, that I found out that there was a problem with my "security clearance" or something at the time - when there absolutely shouldn't have been). It eventually got sorted, and we both got on.

We boarded, then had to hand in our passports. I had no problem with that at the time (I thought it must have been something to do with them going to different ports and immigration stuff). We got the hatting, and went to our cabin. It was a cheap cabin, but geez - it was bad. So small and pokey, and the bed wasn't long enough or big enough for two. I hadn't ever been on a cruise ship. I had only ever been on a large transport ferry (that transports people over the Cook's Strait in New Zealand), and on that, the crew's cabins were bigger that which we were in, on the Freewinds.

First we had to do that course about the ship, and then we were set to do the "Route to Infinity" course. After the course about the ship, I started the route to infinity course, but soon after that I'd had enough and wanted to get off. I didn't like it. When we were on it, it was like a ghost town. I didn't like the decore. I didn't like the flows of the crew (although they were all very friendly and polite). I couldn't handle being so restricted as to where I was allowed to go. And we were on there with other "public" who we both found rather bravado types. Also the lack of randomity was nearly driving me up the wall. It wasn't my scene.

I spoke to my spouse about it. We looked at the itinerary and worked out where I could get off, and how I could get back to Flag where our kids were staying with our private nanny. I went to the woman at the desk, and told her that I wanted to get off. She said that I couldn't get off. When she said that, I then really wanted to get off. I asked for my passport and she wouldn't give it to me. Shit! :omg: That was a horrid point! I got angry, and then two security guards arrived. One of them I knew (he used to be in ANZO, I knew his family and I used to let him bludge cigs off me when he was broke). Things settled a bit, I realised I'd have to play my cards right, so I did. After about four hours, I got agreement from them, that I could get my passport back and get off. But, first I had to finish that bloody course. We were at St Kitz at the time. I had done a bit of sightseeing there. The next morning we were set to do some snorkling. But now cause I wanted off, I had to forfeit that and spend the time on course, to get through and get out on time, in order to get a flight back to Flag (otherwise I'd be stuck on the ship, another two days).

I got off, got back to Flag, and had a great day at Disneyworld with the kids. While waiting for my spouse to get back, I did some reg'ing at Flag, with a reg who was on a project there. Luckily for me, she had weight and wanted my help, so when it was suggested I go to ethics for my BI's (bad indicators)on the ship, she squashed the idea. I wasn't mouthing off about it or anything. Just when asked, I'd say very politely that it wasn't my scene. That didn't go down well at all, with the odd few Flag crew who I spoke to about it. In ANZO though, it wasn't a problem.

I have never met anyone who didn't rave about their trip on the Freewinds. But now (after all this time) I realise why maybe, and also realize that there would have been others who didn't like it either. Are there any of you out there?

Carmel

Crusader
Very important point (should never have omitted it).

Decor preferred - modern or homely, not stiff, starchy, formal and stuffy like I found the most about the ship.

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hostage to your own religion. :ohmy:

I really don't blame you. I got to visit the ship but only for a day. We didn't get a tour....
Just the top deck and the dinning area.
I was quite surprised at how small this "great" ship was. It was a bit of a let down.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Hostage to your own religion. :ohmy:

I really don't blame you. I got to visit the ship but only for a day. We didn't get a tour....
Just the top deck and the dinning area.
I was quite surprised at how small this "great" ship was. It was a bit of a let down.

I visited for a few hours with a bunch of other SO guys and got a bit of a tour. I was struck with how small it was too.

I think it's a bit like being madly in love--everything you see is highly coloured by the filter you are looking through. I mean, it's THE SHIP!!!!!! It is the ONLY PLACE IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE WHERE OT VIII IS DELIVERED!!!!!!

Paul

xseaorguk

Patron Meritorious
I went there too....lol

I went to ther Freewinds in an outer body experience, but made sure I hold my breath the whole time, so maybe I did escape the asbestos..ha..ha..

I also heard it used to be a cattle ship and a right DUMP.

What about if everybody who was on ther at some point sued Scientology for knowingly expose them to the dangerous asbestos.
Surely that would add up to so many court cases, it would be the downfall of the terrible CULT

Years ago when the Freewinds first came about, we heard all sorts of wonderful stories about it. Several friends of ours were on the maiden voyage, and went on the subsequent annual voyages. We knew several who went on the Freewinds and just raved about it. Never heard of anyone who didn't love it.

15 years ago, my spouse and I incorporated a stint on the Freewinds during an overseas business trip. We were looking forward to it, and thought it would be a bit of a treat for us.

We got to the ship early. But then for some reason I wasn't allowed on. They wouldn't tell us what the problem was. They were trying to get my spouse to board without me (It wasn't until after I got home, that I found out that there was a problem with my "security clearance" or something at the time - when there absolutely shouldn't have been). It eventually got sorted, and we both got on.

We boarded, then had to hand in our passports. I had no problem with that at the time (I thought it must have been something to do with them going to different ports and immigration stuff). We got the hatting, and went to our cabin. It was a cheap cabin, but geez - it was bad. So small and pokey, and the bed wasn't long enough or big enough for two. I hadn't ever been on a cruise ship. I had only ever been on a large transport ferry (that transports people over the Cook's Strait in New Zealand), and on that, the crew's cabins were bigger that which we were in, on the Freewinds.

First we had to do that course about the ship, and then we were set to do the "Route to Infinity" course. After the course about the ship, I started the route to infinity course, but soon after that I'd had enough and wanted to get off. I didn't like it. When we were on it, it was like a ghost town. I didn't like the decore. I didn't like the flows of the crew (although they were all very friendly and polite). I couldn't handle being so restricted as to where I was allowed to go. And we were on there with other "public" who we both found rather bravado types. Also the lack of randomity was nearly driving me up the wall. It wasn't my scene.

I spoke to my spouse about it. We looked at the itinerary and worked out where I could get off, and how I could get back to Flag where our kids were staying with our private nanny. I went to the woman at the desk, and told her that I wanted to get off. She said that I couldn't get off. When she said that, I then really wanted to get off. I asked for my passport and she wouldn't give it to me. Shit! :omg: That was a horrid point! I got angry, and then two security guards arrived. One of them I knew (he used to be in ANZO, I knew his family and I used to let him bludge cigs off me when he was broke). Things settled a bit, I realised I'd have to play my cards right, so I did. After about four hours, I got agreement from them, that I could get my passport back and get off. But, first I had to finish that bloody course. We were at St Kitz at the time. I had done a bit of sightseeing there. The next morning we were set to do some snorkling. But now cause I wanted off, I had to forfeit that and spend the time on course, to get through and get out on time, in order to get a flight back to Flag (otherwise I'd be stuck on the ship, another two days).

I got off, got back to Flag, and had a great day at Disneyworld with the kids. While waiting for my spouse to get back, I did some reg'ing at Flag, with a reg who was on a project there. Luckily for me, she had weight and wanted my help, so when it was suggested I go to ethics for my BI's (bad indicators)on the ship, she squashed the idea. I wasn't mouthing off about it or anything. Just when asked, I'd say very politely that it wasn't my scene. That didn't go down well at all, with the odd few Flag crew who I spoke to about it. In ANZO though, it wasn't a problem.

I have never met anyone who didn't rave about their trip on the Freewinds. But now (after all this time) I realise why maybe, and also realize that there would have been others who didn't like it either. Are there any of you out there?

Boldgirl

Patron Meritorious

I am with you on that for sure. I found it very restrictive. It was a suppressive experience. You come off course and there waiting for you are IAS reg's...or they are waiting for you after a meal or during a meal. The entire experience was regimented. I watched SO many people get sent to ethics in the courseroom--public that were late for a valid reason and with another SO's permission (like a reg cycle, or being seasick & being told they needed to rest, etc etc) but they were sent anyway! The course sups looked miserable all the time...not happy. You were pushed to be at the evening event things, pushed to get reg'ed by accomo's...it was the busiest cruise i have ever been on an I could not WAIT to get off the dang boat.

Then there were the poor folks who were 'ill' to some extent who got locked into a room and couldnt come out until they were deemed better....some 5 days in there--unbelievable really.

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
Duplicate that!

I am with you on that for sure. I found it very restrictive. It was a suppressive experience. You come off course and there waiting for you are IAS reg's...or they are waiting for you after a meal or during a meal. The entire experience was regimented. I watched SO many people get sent to ethics in the courseroom--public that were late for a valid reason and with another SO's permission (like a reg cycle, or being seasick & being told they needed to rest, etc etc) but they were sent anyway! The course sups looked miserable all the time...not happy. You were pushed to be at the evening event things, pushed to get reg'ed by accomo's...it was the busiest cruise i have ever been on an I could not WAIT to get off the dang boat.

Then there were the poor folks who were 'ill' to some extent who got locked into a room and couldnt come out until they were deemed better....some 5 days in there--unbelievable really.

Hi Girl! :biglove: :smoochy:

Same shit - almost had to fight my way off! :grouch: :angry: Felt very OT on the flight home. :yes: until...:omg: I thought about how much $ that I did not have that was regged outta me...:omg: :no: :bigcry:

Know the feeling, anyone? :unsure: :duh:

That EP, Roy coulda done without! :p

Boldgirl

Patron Meritorious
Hi Girl! :biglove: :smoochy:

Same shit - almost had to fight my way off! :grouch: :angry: Felt very OT on the flight home. :yes: until...:omg: I thought about how much $ that I did not have that was regged outta me...:omg: :no: :bigcry:

Know the feeling, anyone? :unsure: :duh:

That EP, Roy coulda done without! :p

Hi EP! Emoticon King!

I watched people that swore they were not going to give in to the reg;s (IAS) get reg'ed for 8+ hours---(I know because they never showed up for dinner and when I asked them later they said they were stuck in the IAS office)...and then guess what they donated 30K they didnt have while walking around with a glued smile holding up a Tshirt the reg'es gave them.

I never caved :happydance: ...they made so sick they turned my stomach and I was not nice to them.

Hey anyone want a superpower jacket? Oh...wait I think I burned it...that was another reg cycle I so regret....moeny i didnt have to a cause that is evil...:duh:

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
I must be some kind of weirdo masochist, I actually enjoyed my time on the Freewinds!
This was back near the beginning of her Scn service so maybe she was in better shape then, I know the crew was.
I met lots of very interesting people from all over the world and some who were in all kinds of interesting 'case-shape". (cough)
:omg: Did I just cough?

Good twin

Floater
I must be some kind of weirdo masochist, I actually enjoyed my time on the Freewinds!
This was back near the beginning of her Scn service so maybe she was in better shape then, I know the crew was.
I met lots of very interesting people from all over the world and some who were in all kinds of interesting 'case-shape". (cough)

I'm so glad you said it first. I also enjoyed the Freewinds. Had some of my Biggest wins there. I went very early as you said, and then went back....several times. It does seem that through the years the experience became less magical and more off putting. I did have to argue with regges and even avoid the cruise director the last couple of times I was on board. (They were making us go see Battlefield Earth - one time) But the first time was amazing. Loved meeting people there. Yep. :yes:

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One

I'm so glad you said it first. I also enjoyed the Freewinds. Had some of my Biggest wins there. I went very early as you said, and then went back....several times. It does seem that through the years the experience became less magical and more off putting. I did have to argue with regges and even avoid the cruise director the last couple of times I was on board. (They were making us go see Battlefield Earth - one time) But the first time was amazing. Loved meeting people there. Yep. :yes:
Thanks GT, so does this mean I'm not some kind of weirdo masochist? :D

FlunkedForLaughing

Patron with Honors
I went on the ship for a week and had just enough time to do an OT Hatting course and a convention. Unfortunately I got sea sick when the ship left the port. The rocking back and forth really got my head spinning. I tried real hard not to let the course sups know how bad it was. I did tell them I was having problems, and they let me go on the top deck to get my anchor points out. I tried real hard to get my anchor points out, whatever that means, but it didn't work too well. It took another day to feel somewhat normal again, but I was 2 days behind schedule. At the end of the week, I had to get creative to find a way to get through all the drills fast and leave the ship on time. It wasn't easy, but I did it.

My luggage was lost on the flight going to the ship. All I had was the little carry on bag I had with me. My luggage finally arrived the day I was leaving the ship. I had to borrow a pair of underwear from another person, and wash them in the sink every morning and let them dry during the day. I bought 2 Freewinds shirts, and wore them every day!

There were a lot of Italians onboard the week I went. Italians are fun people. Very lively. Very family and group oriented. They really brightened up the place.

I had never been on board a cruise ship before, so I had nothing to compare it to. At the time I was sort of star struck, walking around on the ship in a hypnotic transe like I was in a heavenly place, a futuristic OT place. I was heavily indoctronated at the time, just in awe of being there on the famous Freewinds. Surviving the tough reg cycles, busy schedule, and lost luggage just added to the experience. I felt it was all part of the OT training.

I think a person in a normal state of mind would not enjoy it much. You really have to be a dedicated Scilon to have a good time on the ship.

FFL

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
Always carry an extra pair of clean underwear in your carryon when you travel. It's just one of The Rules. :)

NonScio

Patron Meritorious
Were any of you allowed up the Bridge during your time on the
ship? Was the Bridge included in the ship tour?