A line in the sand

Kerry

Patron with Honors
I hope they all come back. Awesome thought.

Re the thread between Birdsong and others just recently grunged:

My experience with the issue of banning (on several boards over the past 12 years) has nearly always ended with my missing all but a very small number of posters who either left on their own or were eventually banned.

I wish i could offer some practical ideas with how to make and maintain a "risk-free" board. I also believe it just isn't possible, and that it's magical thinking to imagine it can be done. Anywhere.

There has been a general and important agreement that relief from the types of treatment the cult has dished out to people over months, years, or decades is needed on this forum. Nobody I've seen disagrees with that, but at the same time I deeply disagree with the argument, "my wounds are bigger than your wounds," or "her/his wounds are bigger than your wounds," and would aim to keep this kind of thought-stopping and hurtful communication out of the various fights that get started (in so many different forums and in life generally). Who's good at that? I can think of quite a few here who are.

Usually I'll hang back from conflicts nowdays, but perhaps rather than lurking a lot I could make some small contribution. I'm wondering ... is a thread of suggestions of how to help turn down the temperature in a thread heading toward boiling point possibly something to try right now? Before it's all forgotten - but then repeated down the track at seemingly regular intervals..?

Just thinking out loud here. :think:

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
:hmm:

IMHO, one of the most restrictive and irritating policies here at ESMB has been the relatively recent inability to edit one's posts after a short time.

And, yes, I saw from the front-end what went on with one sneaky poster who at least succeeded on having his account neutered after scrubbing his posts in an extended fit of rage. Even with the danger of such fits of insanity from a few posters, I think the board would be much more alive if this policy were rescinded. How difficult it would be to put in a rule that would limit the editing of one's posts to five or ten per session/day and throw up a flag for pushing that limit over more than a few sessions/days?

I used to think that posters quoting OP's and other comments in their entirety was a waste of resources. But it does fix in time what was said, and it was far from being universally applied.

I know I don't have the whole story, but I'd like to see that policy changed. I think it might make the return of valued members easier. Who "owns" the posts of members? ESMB? Or the posters themselves?

I've changed it to one day. I agree 30 minutes is restrictive but there are good reasons why it was set that way. I've relaxed it to 24 hours.

I don't understand why you think the board would be more "alive" if the editing were indefinite. Why would that make any difference?

It's actually quite difficult to put a rule in that limits the editing to 5 posts per day etc. It's not built into the software.

I've seen on more than one occasion here (and elsewhere) where creative retrospective editing has completely changed a poster's history. It makes things very confusing. My policy is "if you said it - you said it. If you shouldn't have said it be more careful next time". You can't take back verbal communications & pretend they didn't happen. These are "live" off the cuff communications, not generally essays or mini theses. The exception to this rule is if someone inadvertently gave up something that could destroy their anonymity or come back to really hurt them at a later date. We do edit posts for people in those circumstances.

Comments to blogs & news stories are generally completely non-editable. At least you have a chance here to fix an error or change your mind.

RogerB

Crusader
Nice touch Emma!

Typical of your elegance and good sense as exhibited often and particularly as demonstrated in dialogue on this thread.

Much is owed to you by many who frequent this corner of the internet.

Rog

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
Well, I'm glad! I never knew those people through ESMB, as I started to climb out of the mindfuck right around that time. I never lurked much before posting here so I just caught the tail end of it (in contrast, I spent a year lurking in Indieland). But I've since started to really like Alonzo's postings at the Underground Bunker. Hopefully he'll make it back.

I haven't had much of a chance to interact with the others and don't even know who they are.

Kerry

Patron with Honors
I've changed it to one day. I agree 30 minutes is restrictive but there are good reasons why it was set that way. I've relaxed it to 24 hours.

I don't understand why you think the board would be more "alive" if the editing were indefinite. Why would that make any difference?

It's actually quite difficult to put a rule in that limits the editing to 5 posts per day etc. It's not built into the software.

I've seen on more than one occasion here (and elsewhere) where creative retrospective editing has completely changed a poster's history. It makes things very confusing. My policy is "if you said it - you said it. If you shouldn't have said it be more careful next time". You can't take back verbal communications & pretend they didn't happen. These are "live" off the cuff communications, not generally essays or mini theses. The exception to this rule is if someone inadvertently gave up something that could destroy their anonymity or come back to really hurt them at a later date. We do edit posts for people in those circumstances.

Comments to blogs & news stories are generally completely non-editable. At least you have a chance here to fix an error or change your mind.

Before tchq was trashed irrevocably, I remember how time consuming it was as admin to comply with posters' requests to change their posts, precisely because it wasn't built in to the software. Quite apart from making sure the request itself was reasonable, genuinely necessary, and fair to other parties, assessing all that in painful mental efforts to assure all of it complied with a request(s), each individual request had to be done by hand through various steps throughout the software, (tricky~!), and would usually take, after proofreading to make sure nothing got misquoted where there were multiple requests in one post, or nothing got misspelled that wasn't there in the first place - and vice versa! - some folks got extremely pissed if a misspelled word of theirs got corrected in the process (!!), yadda yadda yadda, you'd come away from these kinds of requests anxious it had all been correctly interpreted, and that you hadn't left anything out. Crazy-making stuff, even on that very small board.

With trolls and the requests to change something in their posts, it becomes a game of cat and mouse until you realize you've just wasted half your evening trying to understand and assess the need to change some things, and then actually, if you decide it's necessary, going into the software and doing it. Especially when there are other options.

Administering and moderating a message board is an enormous responsibility, especially one of this size. Rather than asking a mod or an admin to change the wording in your own post, which is hopefully a sincere and well thought-out effort - speaking of ownership - take the time and responsibility of editing, proofreading, and thinking and rethinking the words you want to put out there. That is the poster's job; it's not the job of Emma, in this case, to fix what you haven't done right or as well as you could have, or have changed your mind about. That can be taken care of in another post in the thread, changing what you said, or clarifying it, so you take the time and effort to change what you would be asking Emma to do. No one can do that better than you who put it out there in the first place.

R2-45

Silver Meritorious Patron
...I don't understand why you think the board would be more "alive" if the editing were indefinite. Why would that make any difference? ...

I feel it would make the board feel "more alive." But it shouldn't make much (if any) difference in content of the board to have it be indefinite or 24 hours. In my opinion, edits to old posts should be thoroughly considered before being made, and should be clearly indicated by the poster in the post when made. Edits to old posts shouldn't be made after being quoted. And a new post should probably be made in nearly all cases. I guess it really wouldn't make much difference at all - a limited edit window simply "feels" restrictive to me.

And that feeling was concentrated by the 30 minute window. A window of 24 hours is far better than 30 min.

Question: Do hangovers last for 24 hours, as a rule? I forget. Does drunk posting still happen? :hysterical: If so, now there is a useable window of opportunity for mind changing.

:lol:I have wild ideas about "freedom," is all.

Kerry

Patron with Honors
Well, I'm glad! I never knew those people through ESMB, as I started to climb out of the mindfuck right around that time. I never lurked much before posting here so I just caught the tail end of it (in contrast, I spent a year lurking in Indieland). But I've since started to really like Alonzo's postings at the Underground Bunker. Hopefully he'll make it back. :)

I haven't had much of a chance to interact with the others and don't even know who they are.

I'm not sure if this is your private joke with Alanzo, so I'm just doing this :confused2::stickpoke: to find out. :flowers:

Sindy

Crusader
:hmm:

IMHO, one of the most restrictive and irritating policies here at ESMB has been the relatively recent inability to edit one's posts after a short time.

Thanks Sneakster. I agree. :)

Emma, if the time limit was put back to where it was, is there a backup of comments that could be reinstated if someone pulled a Sneakster?

Sindy

Crusader

Oops, didn't wait for your answer. I get it. Forget my last post.

TG1

Angelic Poster
I have no doubt everyone has evolved and grown in the last few years. I say, reboot and root!

Having said that, I realize that people move on. Nothing stays the same. Que sera sera!

TG1

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
This makes me happy.

I think it makes the whole ESMB congregation happy.

I just hope that Alanzo and Zinj, the two white guys in the back, see the light so we can all make sweet music together again! ... CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!!

The Anabaptist Jacques

Thanks, TAJ, I haven't seen that Blues Brothers scene in years. It's one of the best in the movie. (A movie that was about 82.3 times as good as its own sequel.)

Helena

I missed that war, what happened? Or, should I not be asking this question?

TP
sarcasm_on-1.gif
It wasn't really a war, there were just too many posters here working for OSA, OSA got so back logged they were even late sending me out my monthly check.

TG1

Angelic Poster
I missed that war, what happened? Or, should I not be asking this question?

TP

When it got down to the short strokes, it went like this.

1 – Marty and Mike are plotting to unseat Miscavige and take over the Church of Scientology.

2 – Are you sure?

1 – It’s obvious.

2 – Dox, please.

1 – Idiot

2 – Dox or stfu!

1 – You never listen to me!

2 – Asshole!

1 – Scientologist!

2 – WTF?

1 – OSA! (Multiply all of the above posts by 50,000 posts and 6 months.)

2 – Banned

1 – Suicide by mod

2 – Bang!

1 – Raeg-quit

2 – Whatever

1 – Cunt

2 – OSA

There were many sidebar discussions. There was a previous upset. People were very mobile on the tone scale. Children cried. There was much gnashing of teeth. The world ended.

The sun rose. Someone made coffee.

TG1

Telepathetic

Gold Meritorious Patron
sarcasm_on-1.gif
It wasn't really a war, there were just too many posters here working for OSA, OSA got so back logged they were even late sending me out my monthly check.

I guess you're saying that there had been, at the time, perhaps unfounded, accusations being directed at certain members of this Board.

I could see how that could create a stressful environment here.OK, thanks CNCML.:thumbsup:

TP

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
I'm not sure if this is your private joke with Alanzo, so I'm just doing this :confused2::stickpoke: to find out. :flowers:

No, I just couldn't remember how to spell it. I went back and forth a few times before hitting submit.

:duh:

RogerB

Crusader
The only part you missed TG1 was when we ALL were taken over by OSA and were secretly plotting to put Hubbard back on his throne , , , and that Emma was found by the know-it-alls as the devil incarnate!

But then that last part was mainly on private chat or the Chat Box by those on a mission to "save" ESMB from a scilon takeover.:melodramatic::duh:

R

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks Sneakster. I agree. :)

Emma, if the time limit was put back to where it was, is there a backup of comments that could be reinstated if someone pulled a Sneakster?

Sindy:

R2-45 is Sneakster? Please :begging: say it is NOT so! :no:

T

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron
When it got down to the short strokes, it went like this.

There were many sidebar discussions. There was a previous upset. People were very mobile on the tone scale. Children cried. There was much gnashing of teeth. The world ended.

The sun rose. Someone made coffee.

TG1

Don't forget the :cake:

:)

My theory---since the day I escaped out and the Entire Net turned against me (along w/ the Scios)
except for Andreas, in 2000 for any new peeps....and the next day Bob, Stacy, Jesse, Mark--and soon after more and more
Net friends is and was this: LIFE ROLLS ON.
Recently I added:
LIFE ROLLS ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DON'T MISS IT.
or
LIFE ROLLS ON, Don't miss it fighting some knuckleheads whose "job" they feel is to keep
you from enjoying LIFE. :cheers:

Love you ALL :flowers2:

Tory/Magoo