What's new

A line in the sand

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
I've changed it to one day. I agree 30 minutes is restrictive but there are good reasons why it was set that way. I've relaxed it to 24 hours.

I don't understand why you think the board would be more "alive" if the editing were indefinite. Why would that make any difference?

It's actually quite difficult to put a rule in that limits the editing to 5 posts per day etc. It's not built into the software.

I've seen on more than one occasion here (and elsewhere) where creative retrospective editing has completely changed a poster's history. It makes things very confusing. My policy is "if you said it - you said it. If you shouldn't have said it be more careful next time". You can't take back verbal communications & pretend they didn't happen. These are "live" off the cuff communications, not generally essays or mini theses. The exception to this rule is if someone inadvertently gave up something that could destroy their anonymity or come back to really hurt them at a later date. We do edit posts for people in those circumstances.

Comments to blogs & news stories are generally completely non-editable. At least you have a chance here to fix an error or change your mind.

I think we should get a Breathalyzer app. You blow into your microphone, and if it detects you're over the limit when posting--it holds the post for 24 hours and then gives you the opportunity to edit or delete.:biggrin:

Then again, I've read some pretty awesome posts that seem to have been created under the influence:coolwink:

Last edited:

Gib

Crusader

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

That actually means -

we (I) don't have enough new customers coming in, so we (I) want you old customers back. As a side benefit to us (I) is that we get all your O/W's & scientology crimes data to use against you again (just in case you cause trouble again).

where I=We=lrh

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Oh lulu belle you are such a naughty girl. Anyhow, as I was saying listen to the carpenter's advice, measure twice cause you can only cut once.
Thanks Emma, a new day can bring great opportunities.

You know Emma, I think an hour is plenty. I think the 24 hr "morning after pill" should be a once a month privilege. I doubt the software can do it but perhaps one could ask a moderator for the 24 hr hall pass and hint hint, wink, wink make a small donation for the Dev-t caused ...

Yeah, yeah I used a four letter word - but it says it so well.

Mimsey

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
You know Emma, I think an hour is plenty. I think the 24 hr "morning after pill" should be a once a month privilege. I doubt the software can do it but perhaps one could ask a moderator for the 24 hr hall pass and hint hint, wink, wink make a small donation for the Dev-t caused ...

Yeah, yeah I used a four letter word - but it says it so well.

Mimsey

I'm ok with 24 hours. That gives someone a chance to sober up or calm down. What it won't stop is others quoting your original post (before any edits), so if anyone needs to be remorseful they better do it quick.

24 hours also stops anyone editing or deleting their history (or most of it). I think it's a good compromise.

Anonycat

Crusader
I'm ok with 24 hours. That gives someone a chance to sober up or calm down. What it won't stop is others quoting your original post (before any edits), so if anyone needs to be remorseful they better do it quick.

24 hours also stops anyone editing or deleting their history (or most of it). I think it's a good compromise.

Fr those fo us who mkae typos, this is god.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I've had a few questions asked multiple times via private communications since I created this thread. I'll answer them here so I don't have to continue to answer them privately.

Q1 Are you mad?
A1. Probably although you can't prove that.

Q2. Why do you want them back?
A2. I neither want or don't want. I want the choice to post to be theirs & not something enforced by me. If they chose never to post on ESMB again I will be perfectly happy with that as it is their choice.

Q3. Why now?
A3. No real reason. I was doing some work in the Admin panel & saw these names & I thought "Hmm... maybe it's time to let this stuff go now". Also I woke up in a very good mood on Sunday because my football team had a huge win on Saturday night. That carried across to Monday. I'm truly worried about how affected my mood is by the fortunes of my sporting alliances.

Q4. What if they come back & start acting up?
A4. They'll be treated the same as everyone else. Warnings then ban. No special treatment for or against.

Anonycat

Crusader
I've had a few questions asked multiple times via private communications since I created this thread. I'll answer them here so I don't have to continue to answer them privately.

Q1 Are you mad?
A1. Probably although you can't prove that.

Q2. Why do you want them back?
A2. I neither want or don't want. I want the choice to post to be theirs & not something enforced by me. If they chose never to post on ESMB again I will be perfectly happy with that as it is their choice.

Q3. Why now?
A3. No real reason. I was doing some work in the Admin panel & saw these names & I thought "Hmm... maybe it's time to let this stuff go now". Also I woke up in a very good mood on Sunday because my football team had a huge win on Saturday night. That carried across to Monday. I'm truly worried about how affected my mood is by the fortunes of my sporting alliances.

Q4. What if they come back & start acting up?
A4. They'll be treated the same as everyone else. Warnings then ban. No special treatment for or against.

So you want us to pray for Aussies to win all sporting events, but you are an Atheist? That is so messed up!

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron
No, no. I was agreeing with R2-45 about the time limit thing instilled after Sneakster came and deleted his posts, thus my comment..."Thanks Sneakster"

Ohhhhhhhhhh Thank you, Sindy!! : phew: :melodramatic::thumbsup::clap:

:rose:

Tory/Magoo

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
2 – Dox or stfu!

I think those who say dox or stfu should stfu themselves! Why should it be that if I say somebody else said something that should be held in higher regard than if I say something myself?

I question authority, I don't confirm it.

Helena

Jump

Operating teatime
No, I just couldn't remember how to spell it. I went back and forth a few times before hitting submit.

:duh:

Every groundhog knows it's Alanzo :biggrin:

Maybe we can all call him back?

[video=youtube;F0BfcdPKw8E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0BfcdPKw8E[/video]

Telepathetic

Gold Meritorious Patron
When it got down to the short strokes, it went like this.

1 – Marty and Mike are plotting to unseat Miscavige and take over the Church of Scientology.

2 – Are you sure?

1 – It’s obvious.

2 – Dox, please.

1 – Idiot

2 – Dox or stfu!

1 – You never listen to me!

2 – Asshole!

1 – Scientologist!

2 – WTF?

1 – OSA! (Multiply all of the above posts by 50,000 posts and 6 months.)

2 – Banned

1 – Suicide by mod

2 – Bang!

1 – Raeg-quit

2 – Whatever

1 – Cunt

2 – OSA

There were many sidebar discussions. There was a previous upset. People were very mobile on the tone scale. Children cried. There was much gnashing of teeth. The world ended.

The sun rose. Someone made coffee.

TG1

Shit! The story of my life. I always arrive at the party when everyone else is leaving.

Thanks for the update, TGI, that was funny!:thumbsup:

TP