A NEW Church structure

Reasonable Lady

Patron with Honors
Many cultures consider that the simple act of addressing one's nature as a spiritual being in itself brings one closer to "god", howsoever you define that term.

The key question, is not: "how do you grow closer to god"?

Nor is it: even: "do you believe in god"?

The key question is:"what do you mean by 'god' "?

Mark A. Baker

That would be a key question if Scientology was a religious philosophy. Other than defining the 8th dynamic and offering a rather short minister's course, most of the church's procedures seem to be aimed at addressing the reactive mind, the analytical mind and BTs. I do not see that the church is one of the cultures that consider that the simple act of addressing one's nature as spiritual being in itself brings one closer to "god". I do not see that the church is at all interested in god. DM does not present himself as a minister, neither did Hubbard. Getting back to the theme of the thread, a new church structure, drop the "church" facade, be a philosophy.

RL

Other than defining the 8th dynamic and offering a rather short minister's course, most of the church's procedures seem to be aimed at addressing the reactive mind, the analytical mind and BTs. I do not see that the church is one of the cultures that consider that the simple act of addressing one's nature as spiritual being in itself brings one closer to "god".

Arguably it is. The "8th Dynamic" is as good a definition of "god" can be found in other more mainstream religions.

Since the process of addressing "reactive mind, analytical mind & BTs" commonly produces changes in spiritual perspective a good case CAN be made for the subject of scientology qualifying as "religious" in character.

Whether the Co$ lives up to the billing of a "religion" is a different question, and one in which I am not interested. :)

[/QUOTE]

Getting back to the theme of the thread, a new church structure, drop the "church" facade, be a philosophy.[/QUOTE]

Personally that would be my preference, although, I've no particular interest in either reforming the Co$ or establishing a competing religious organization.

I don't generally use the term "religion" (or for that matter "science") as a descriptive term when discussing scientology.

I much prefer the phrases "spiritual practice", "spiritual technology", and "spiritual philosophy" as being appropriate terms for describing the subject.

Mark A. Baker

Reasonable Lady

Patron with Honors
"Whether the Co$ lives up to the billing of a "religion" is a different question, and one in which I am not interested. "

I agree. I thought that it was an interesting discussion to have. I see how one could change or enhance one's spiritual perspective as a result of scientology study or processing but I had never heard of that happening. If someone had come on lines when I was on staff and had said that his goal for auditing was to attain higher spiritual awareness, I wonder if he would have been questioned to see if he was doing some "other practice"? I mean, higher spiritual awareness means OT, right????? I can see it; C/S writes a brillant program, auditor delivers it flawlessly, pc attests to "Increased Spiritual Awareness", writes a smashing success story and goes on his merry way, never to be seen again. Everyone involved gets a massive cramming order, retread or retrain!
Anyway, thanks for the discussion.

RL

I mean, higher spiritual awareness means OT, right????? I can see it; C/S writes a brillant program, auditor delivers it flawlessly, pc attests to "Increased Spiritual Awareness", writes a smashing success story and goes on his merry way, never to be seen again. Everyone involved gets a massive cramming order, retread or retrain!

That basically describes my intro to scientology with the exception that I stuck around to do my bridge & eventually went on staff at the mission.

Didn't leave until the organization tried to convince me that "group ethics" qualified as senior to my own.

Mark A. Baker