What's new

A Repressed Lesbian Ex-Scientologist Satire of "The Hours"

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter

My 28 Years of Heterosexuality Was Just a Phase

This is a GREAT essay. You will want to read it all. I will excerpt it only briefly.

McSweeney's: My 28 Years of Heterosexuality Was Just a Phase

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/my-28-years-of-heterosexuality-was-just-a-phase

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

My 28 Years of Heterosexuality Was Just a Phase

BY JOYCE MILLER

[SNIP]

Some might attribute my drastic shift in preference to “sexual fluidity.” “Sexual fluidity” means different things for different people. Sometimes it means you were completely fulfilled dating men but the love of your life is a woman who you’re marrying in the fall and you don’t need labels! Sometimes it means you were an unactualized gay kid whose Dad became a Scientologist and invited you to join him on the Bridge to Total Freedom™.

[SNIP]

Thanks for listening so patiently. By the way, did you notice the cutie with the normcore ‘80s power-executive haircut and military shirt who’s been glancing at us this whole time? OH SHIT!!!! THAT’S NOT A WOMAN!!!! THAT’S A TEEN BOY SEA ORG MEMBER!!!! WHAT IS HE DOING AT A SUPPORT GROUP FOR LATE-BLOOMING LESBIANS???? THEY’VE FOUND ME AGAIN!!!!

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * * *

AND NOW THE MOVIE!

KickStarter: Short Film: My 28 Years of Heterosexuality Was Just a Phase

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/28years/short-film-my-28-years-of-heterosexuality-was-just

Short Film: My 28 Years of Heterosexuality Was Just a Phase

by Joyce Miller

[video=youtube;qlGJZTzSltQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlGJZTzSltQ[/video]

About this project

"Female sexuality is especially fluid. That’s because of evolution. Depending on the needs of society, it can boil, freeze, or evaporate entirely. It’s science. Male sexuality is solid, like the stainless steel, titanium-cased tablets that L. Ron Hubbard engraved with his religious texts and buried beneath the deserts of New Mexico."

"My 28 Years of Heterosexuality Was Just a Phase" is based on a humor essay of the same title that I published on the internet with McSweeney's Internet Tendency in August of 2015. It's a satire about realizing I'm gay in adulthood after coming of age as a Scientologist. I wrote it as a way to mobilize myself at a challenging moment of coming out during an extremely delayed realization of sexual identity, while beginning to unpack the psychological and emotional impact of growing up involved involved with a cult.

While using the internet, for better or for worse, to start figuring out what I was going through, I looked at a number of gay conversion therapy testimonies on YouTube, and read a lot of distraught online message board posts from women who, like me, were disrupted in the process of realizing their sexual identity until later on, but don't have the same safety, resources, or support network.

From my experience, I am compelled to explore aspects and intersections of religious homophobia, sexual repression, and brainwashing. "My 28 Years of Heterosexuality Was Just a Phase" is the first of other projects I would like to create around these stigmatized and isolating issues.

Funds for this Kickstarter will go exclusively towards the production costs which include:

-Brief but essential rehearsal day

-Sound and Equipment

-Paying cast and crew for their risk, talent, and hard work.

-Travel

-Insurance

-Soundtrack

-Post Production

-Festival Campaigns

We are aiming for a short but focused 2-3 day shoot and day of rehearsal.

SOME OF OUR COLLABORATORS:

STACY AYN PRICE (PRODUCER)
attachment.php

look its stacy

An American theater and film Actress/Writer/Producer currently residing in NYC. Stacy's TV/Film work ranges from MTV’s “Guy Code”(Andy Stuckey,SNL), “Guyz” (Lead, Yunus Shahul), “Snow White II” (Lead, Alex Sclar), “6 Roommates You’ll...” (Vincent Peone, collegehumor.com) to "Peaches and Tea" (Cannes 2015) which she wrote, produced and starred in. The short film won "Best of Fest" at the Chain Festival and marked her second produced work. Her first was “Box of Crayons," an 8-part comedic parody (most watched video on Funnyordie.com) (Entertainment Weekly). NYC Theater; “Upper Room” (New York Times' Critic's Pick, Rady&Bloom), “Surrender” (Drama Desk nomination, Josh Fox (Oscar nominated)), Member of the "Usual Rejects" www.usualrejects.com. She is currently adapting her play "Sinkhole" into a feature film to be shot in Florida 2017

CELESTE ROBERT (ASSOCIATE PRODUCER/PRODUCTION DESIGN)
attachment.php

celeste, pictured here

Celeste Marie Robert (Production Designer) is a Queer French and Chilean filmmaker. Her interests include personal/political narrative storytelling and coming of age films. After two years of freelancing in NYC, she is ready to go homesteading on Chilean soil. Contact her if there's any reason not to or if you want to flee together.

JOYCE MILLER (WRITER/PRODUCER)
attachment.php

above center, joyce

Joyce Miller was born and raised in Philadelphia, PA and moved to New York to study acting when she was 17. She has published humor essays for McSweeney's Internet Tendency and worked on a number of downtown and independent productions alongside her personal video projects. She appears onscreen in recently released "Tango on the Balcony" (Minos Papas), upcoming "Cold Fusion" (Eric Sanders), and an August production with RADY & BLOOM Collective Playmaking. She just completed the transformative & revolutionary Betty's Daughter Arts Collaborative Body Ecology Spring Intensive.

Risks and challenges

The Church of Scientology has a history of litigation towards dissent, however in more recent years seems to have become more adaptable towards critique possibly due to the volume and diversity of voices on the internet. I am not interested in alienating or shaming individual people for their spiritual beliefs, nor do I feel it is decent or productive to do so. Exploring certain personal experiences by extension necessitates addressing my interactions with Scientology and its written doctrines.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

While there are a variety of KickStarter rewards, the following relatively inexpensive reward may be most special:

Pledge $11 or more
Temporary "1.1" Tattoo

A custom temporary "1.1" Tattoo!
"1.1" is the level of "Covert Hostility" on Scientology's Emotional Tone Scale. A "1.1" is characterized by "Promiscuity, perversion, sadism, irregular practices.". Wear your tone level on your sleeve!
+
SPECIAL Thanks
+
"Backers Only" Updates
Estimated delivery: Nov 2016
Ships to: Anywhere in the world

Attachments

• STACY AYN PRICE.jpg
    STACY AYN PRICE.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 325
  • CELESTE ROBERT.jpeg
    CELESTE ROBERT.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 320
  • JOYCE MILLER.jpeg
    JOYCE MILLER.jpeg
    16.3 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

CommunicatorIC

Joyce Miller will get a permanent Scientology 1.1 tattoo! Make it so!

Joyce Miller will get a permanent Scientology 1.1 tattoo! Make it so!

Don't you want Joyce to get her Scientology 1.1 tattoo?

Joyce Miller's Kickstarter page lists the following reward:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/28years/short-film-my-28-years-of-heterosexuality-was-just

All gone!
Pledge $500 or more

I Will Get a Permanent "1.1" Tattoo

I will video document & share myself finally getting that "1.1" tattoo I've been thinking about. I will pay for the tattoo with my own money and not the Kickstarter money because that would be terrible

+
Humor & Satire Webinar
+
My Week With Virginia
+
DVD Copy
+
"The Hours & chill" movie party
+
5 temporary "1.1" tattoos to share. "1.1" is the level of "Covert Hostility" on Scientology's Emotional Tone Scale. A "1.1" is characterized by "Promiscuity, perversion, sadism, irregular practices.". Sport your favorite tone level with friends!
+
A page carefully selected from handwritten journals that I kept while discovering I was queer
+
SPECIAL Thanks
+
"Backers Only" Updates

ESTIMATED DELIVERY: Dec 2017

SHIPS TO: Only United States

All gone! 1 backer

When you mouse over the reward, the page confirms the reward is All Gone!

Don't you want Joyce to get her Scientology 1.1 tattoo?

CommunicatorIC

The title has changed to: GOING QUEER.

An update!

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ars-of-heterosexuality-was-just/posts/1629917

Update #2

Jul 14 2016

the Title changed to a better Title now the Title is "GOING QUEER"!!!

"My 28 Year of Heterosexuality Was Just a Phase" worked well for the humor essay that this movie is based on. Film has less words though, and so should our title, right?

"Going Queer" just kind of gets what this film is about, you know?

SO EXCITING ALL THAT MATTERS IS THE TITLE AND THE REST FALLS INTO PLACE!!!

<3 <3 <3

CommunicatorIC

UPDATE: The Project exceeded the goal of $2,800. Sixty-four backers pledged a total of $3,027.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-28-years-of-heterosexuality-was-just/updates

Twitter announcement:

https://twitter.com/Joyfulmilton/status/758755586628526081

Joyce Miller
@Joyfulmilton

#kickstarter goal is met https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-of-heterosexuality-was-just?ref=thanks_share#scientologyfilm #religioushomophobia thank you for so much trust and support

Last edited:

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron
This is awesome. McSweeney's can wear me out (I subscribed for about five years long ago, but that was all the bookshelf room I could spare) but they hit it out of the park with some new writers on a regular basis. This essay almost makes me want to subscribe again.

The movie idea is fucking fantastic. Virginia Woolf/The Hours plus scientology promotional films = genius.

CommunicatorIC

Joyce Miller has posted a YouTube video. It is disturbing. It is also listed under the category of "Comedy."

You will notice she doesn't say the word "Scientology," and the word "Scientology" does not appear anywhere in the video description.

[video=youtube;9C8tU-_lVOA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C8tU-_lVOA[/video]

* * * * * BEGIN DESCRIPTION * * * * *

What "Fair Game" Policy?: 1

Published on Apr 25, 2017

This Is What Our Dissenters Look Like

The above mess is a dissenter against our Church, pleading with our private investigators. She realized that they hacked into her computer over a year ago, and instead of trying to solve the problem and go to the police, she started making videos trying to communicate with us. What a NARCISSIST.

Between our extensive social engineering, psychological harassment, and intel, we've screwed her up so badly, she doesn't know if it's us, the FBI, or a white-hat community.

She DESPERATELY wants it to be the honeytrap.

Back in 2014, she fell in love with the honeytrap we hired to disrupt the horrible book she is writing and--get this--says it made her realize she was gay. Pathetic--and probably a grab at fame.

Look at this fucking idiot. She is a racist, anti-religious bigot, spreading lies about our Religion, the LGBTQ+ Community, and anything else she can exploit for a last ditch grab at notoriety.

She's a child molester and aspiring home wrecker who uses the elderly and abandons those who really care for her.

We have taken extensive measures over the years, investigating into her work, home life, habits, and inventory of misdeeds. We have contacted room mates, class mates, cast mates, colleagues, employers, relatives, friends, lovers, ex-lovers.

We have enlisted members of our Church, outside hired investigators, artists and friends. We have people hired to work on her projects, keep her confused, and from doing any further harm to the creative, religious, and LGBTQ+ community with her LIES and RELIGIOUS HATE.

Currently, we have her room mates, and an operative on retainer who is working on the HATE FILM she is making about our organization. There's a lot more than that but we can't quite talk about it yet. We enlisted some of these individuals to befriend her as far back as 2014 for a long game take down.

To protect our operatives, names have been digitally redubbed using our state of the art production facilities, but we won't spare this MONSTER the exposure she deserves.

We love all people, the LGBTQ+ community included. Thank you for helping us protect religious freedom for all mankind, but don't take our word for it--take a look at the kind of person who attacks us. This is what our dissenters look like.

Category Comedy

License Standard YouTube License

* * * * * END DESCRIPTION * * * * *