What's new

A small part of my story

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Me too.

I definitely have the "every day is a gift" viewpoint.

My husband is a wog and he just can't understand it.

Why just getting out of work at 5:00 and having a beer while sitting on my deck makes me so happy.

YES!! And discovering wines, exotic foods, different people, time off, parks, live theatre, baseball games, movies, night clubs (for the unmarried?), mixed drinks, bar-b-q, swimming, biking, hanging out with friends with NO schedule, being able to do your own laundry in your own place, being able to clean the house when you feel like it and not a minute sooner, having a pet without it being "other fish".

And I DO NOT miss: All nighter white gloves, setting up for the Gala anniversary party, uniform inspections, musters, SRA parties, meetings to get GI up when you are the damn C/S, programming folders of people who havent been in an org for over 20 years, CSP musters, walking in groups, and turning my life over to someone else "for my own good".

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
YES!! And discovering wines, exotic foods, different people, time off, parks, live theatre, baseball games, movies, night clubs (for the unmarried?), mixed drinks, bar-b-q, swimming, biking, hanging out with friends with NO schedule, being able to do your own laundry in your own place, being able to clean the house when you feel like it and not a minute sooner, having a pet without it being "other fish".

And I DO NOT miss: All nighter white gloves, setting up for the Gala anniversary party, uniform inspections, musters, SRA parties, meetings to get GI up when you are the damn C/S, programming folders of people who havent been in an org for over 20 years, CSP musters, walking in groups, and turning my life over to someone else "for my own good".

Did you say baseball? If you're hanging with that crowd I have a great icebreaker, a trivia question that no one I have asked has known the answer to.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Did you say baseball? If you're hanging with that crowd I have a great icebreaker, a trivia question that no one I have asked has known the answer to.

I probably dont have the answer, but shoot anyways. I just watch baseball games in the stadium. Fun stuff.

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
I probably dont have the answer, but shoot anyways. I just watch baseball games in the stadium. Fun stuff.

No, this is for you to turn to the hunk sitting next to you with a ball cap on and say, "Bet you a beer you won't know the answer to this baseball trivia question".

Being male and therefore omnipotent with regard to pretty girls and baseball he will already be trapped in your web.

The question:

Who is the only major league baseball player on an active roster both on the day Babe Ruth hit his last home run and the day Hank Aaron hit his first home run?

Answer: Phil Cavaretta.

He was a Cub so if you are in the Chitown area that will hold extra water.

May you find what you will with it.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
No, this is for you to turn to the hunk sitting next to you with a ball cap on and say, "Bet you a beer you won't know the answer to this baseball trivia question".

Being male and therefore omnipotent with regard to pretty girls and baseball he will already be trapped in your web.

The question:

Who is the only major league baseball player on an active roster both on the day Babe Ruth hit his last home run and the day Hank Aaron hit his first home run?

Nice One!!! Thank you!!! As soon as I find a hunk, I will try that one.

Actually I ran into one of the Umpires for the World Series last week. I could have asked him that to see what he said. We were all drinking at a nice bar here and turned out he is one of the umpires. ha ha.

I remind myself of Forrest Gump sometimes.

None of my stories are made up though.

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
Nice One!!! Thank you!!! As soon as I find a hunk, I will try that one.

Actually I ran into one of the Umpires for the World Series last week. I could have asked him that to see what he said. We were all drinking at a nice bar here and turned out he is one of the umpires. ha ha.

I remind myself of Forrest Gump sometimes.

None of my stories are made up though.

You will go far, my child.

Next time get an autograph and we'll make an arrangement.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)

baseball... I got to love baseball while I was at Flag. I took Sean and Chris with me to Clearwater Phillies games - single A ball. I knew nothing about the game at all, but it was just fun and (importantly) cheap fun. People at the games gradually filled me in on the rules and so on. It was great. It was also weird - I think I was the first SO member any of them had ever met.

and now I'm a Rockies fan..

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
baseball... I got to love baseball while I was at Flag. I took Sean and Chris with me to Clearwater Phillies games - single A ball. I knew nothing about the game at all, but it was just fun and (importantly) cheap fun. People at the games gradually filled me in on the rules and so on. It was great. It was also weird - I think I was the first SO member any of them had ever met.

and now I'm a Rockies fan..

Colorado is on a good run. They have the problem of the light air. Pitching will always be their problem, it seems, but it must be fun watching games there. I wonder if Helton can make the Hall of Fame with people thinking his numbers have been "doctored."

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Colorado is on a good run. They have the problem of the light air. Pitching will always be their problem, it seems, but it must be fun watching games there. I wonder if Helton can make the Hall of Fame with people thinking his numbers have been "doctored."

The lads are making a good run - their trip to San Diego has gone well.

On Todd Helton - I have to think that whatever he does it will be discounted. The strange thing is that the corollary will not happen - a pitcher entering the hall of fame from Colorado, even if a pitcher won 200 games here (which would be a miracle) it just wuldn't look great. So the same factor that will count against Todd won't count for the pitchers. Oh well.

I have to say it was more fun when Coors Field first opened with Galaraga, Walker, Bichette and Castilla, those were the days when Baylor said "when you are in the batters box at Coors, you are in scoring position".

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Mick's story is fascinating and incredibly moving.

If I'd have known that this stuff was ROUTINELY occurring, when I was in CofS, I'd have left it so much sooner.

Of course, I did explain it away for years. Oh, it's an anomaly, blah blah. I mean, I didn't know much of this, but when I did see some stuff, I'd explain it away.

I'd say that in CofS, there're always staff who want to explain it away for you, if you're public or if you're staff, too, but junior to them or they're an EO or MAA or something, but truth is, if you talk too much about seeing this or that, that gets you into trouble too...

This is so sick.

Kind of amazing I fell for that bullshit.

I did, though, and so did many others here. Indoctrination is a powerful thing.

Mick and Bea- and others who've told their stories - you were and are amazingly brave. I've said it before and it bears repeating.

You have guts and integrity. I'm proud to know you- even if it's a teeny bit in cyberspace.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Lulu,

When J and I were leaving that mission I wrote about, the missionholder's husband came to our (teeny weeny crappy basement) apartment to accuse us of wanting to leave so we could go to the movies.

That wasn't it- we were sick of being oppressed and fucked with, of working and working and then getting insults as our pay.

Ungrateful fucking people.

But I will say this- it is damn nice to go to the movies when I want to.

If you're ever near the Pacific NW, let's go out and you have a nice beer and I'll have a fruity drink with an umbrella in it and fruit hanging off of it.

Ungrammatically and lovingly,

C

everfree

Patron Meritorious
Mick's story is fascinating and incredibly moving.

If I'd have known that this stuff was ROUTINELY occurring, when I was in CofS, I'd have left it so much sooner.

Of course, I did explain it away for years. Oh, it's an anomaly, blah blah. I mean, I didn't know much of this, but when I did see some stuff, I'd explain it away.

Same here. Whenever I saw anyone doing something crazy like screaming at their junior until they cried I thought they were isolated incidents because the Scientology I believed in was to use affinity, reality and communication to bring about understanding, not the use of force to overwhelm.

It took a lot of experience to get a broad enough view to know that what I initially thought were crazy isolated incidents against the nature of Scn were actually a long standing pattern of behavior built into the fabric of Scn and CofS itself.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Same here. Whenever I saw anyone doing something crazy like screaming at their junior until they cried I thought they were isolated incidents because the Scientology I believed in was to use affinity, reality and communication to bring about understanding, not the use of force to overwhelm.

It took a lot of experience to get a broad enough view to know that what I initially thought were crazy isolated incidents against the nature of Scn were actually a long standing pattern of behavior built into the fabric of Scn and CofS itself.

Everfree -

You said once on Beliefnet that you believed that Scientology could be reformed by de-emphasizing certain crazy passages by Hubbard and emphasizing other, more sane ones.

You gave the example from Christianity where certain passages about killing homosexuals and taking non-Christians for slaves was de-emphasized now, and so you hardly ever see Christians killing homosexuals now or enslaving anyone.

Do you still think this approach would work for Scientology?

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
and so...

I was doing my Int Clearances, I guess this is the middle of September 1984. and when I was not getting the auditing I was just hanging out. Talking with Franzack and, surprisingly, the two Ians - Iain Cunningham and Iain Galloway who were what was left of the Finance Police. Only the second Iain had been on the mission that originally declared me and he wasn't one of those involved in it so we got along well. As one of the few other people in the SO who had actually been tae Glasgae we had a riot talking about the city and the people.

It was also during this time when, for some mysterious reason, Suzette started chatting with me. To this day I have no idea whether she thought I was someone else or whether someone like Jens Uhrskov had told her I was amusing to talk to but from there on out we kept in touch.

Then early one morning - around 2 am, I was woken up - I was sleeping in some men's dorm up on the 7th floor of Big Blue. It was Rae Mathieson - an old old friend, he had been the ED of HAPI when I first got into Scientology. He told me I was going to be holding his post for a couple of weeks while he went on some RTC mission. I told him he was out of his fucking mind, WDC FSO was "waiting for me to get through the clearances" and then Rae showed me the telex from WDC FSO saying it was OK but that I was to be "sessionable" - bit of a joke considering it was close to 3 am..

So that's how I got to be SMI Officer INt for two to three weeks. Seeing as I was the only person around who a) had done pretty much the whole Commodores Aide hat for div 6 and b) wasn't on a post I must have looked like a gift from Hubbard. Amazing - 14 months earlier I was the scum of the earth, enemy of mankind, stopper of Bridge progress for almost everyone. Now I was cleared (almost) for Int, big "coin" and so on.

I kind of enjoyed myself at SMI - Jeanie was hilarious and the work was easy.

Then Rae came back, my clearances came through I was going to Int. (I cannot believe that I actually thought that was somehow cool.)

And then Jens Uhrskov arrives to tell me that he and I are going on Mission. A mission so confidential that there are no written mission orders, it is going to be verbal briefing only.

Last edited:

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
It was also during this time when, for some mysterious reason, Suzette started chatting with me. To this day I have no idea whether she thought I was someone else or whether someone like Jens Uhrskov had told her I was amusing to talk to but from there on out we kept in touch.

She was like that. Suzette was definitely the most level headed and down to earth of the Hubbard kids, IMO.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
She was like that. Suzette was definitely the most level headed and down to earth of the Hubbard kids, IMO.

I worked with Diana in 78 and I always found her to be remote. I have been amazed to read that other people thought/think that Diana is smart and "could have been a contender". I think she was, and is, an airhead. I never saw anything from her in 78 that demonstrated any sort of management ability - in fact most everything I saw was either bombastic nonsense (following her father's lead) or juvenile drivel.

I did not know Arthur so I have no idea where he would fit on any sort of "ability" scale but Suzette was, as you say, down to earth. She was funny and unaffected.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Oh yeah - that reminds me.

A little out of sequence but it deserves its own spot - it was just after the time period I am currently writing about that I bumped into and got to know someone who I am very proud to call a friend.

Lulubelle!!

I know Lulu values her privacy so I don't want to say anything that would identify her but I did want to make some space in this story for her. We have been friends from those days through the days of ARS and OCMB up to the present.

She is an amazing person.

Div6

Crusader
So you fell for the old "We're on a mission from god" line?

That is hilarious.

Can't wait to hear about this one...