A Sneak Peek into Hell: Why Narconon Must be Stopped

Intelligence

Silver Meritorious Patron
I like the idea of having one image at the bottom, rather than two images.

To me the current format looks a bit too busy - too many things to look at, things that are each in their separate spaces. I think it needs to be more unified to give it more punch.

EDIT: Now I've just seen the second version. That is way better IMO.
I think the main words of the title can be made slightly larger and also maybe more forceful by darkening a bit behind them right up close to the letters --same effect behind them but just a bit more "black ink" close to the letters. The top lettering could also be made sharper by making the white more pure.

Something else, for what it's worth, and it may be just the way my nitpicking mind works.....but I think the by-line should come after the main title, not before it. The title itself has a lot of impact (I am referring to meaning here, not visually as I was before). Putting the by-line before it, softens the impact of the title IMO. I would slam the title right in there and hit them with that, then put the by-line after it. Just my opinion of course and I expect many would disagree.

We ARE going with the second version... The first was far too busy.

I agree 100% that the Title letters need to be larger... We're still deciding on the sub-line text... where to have it?

It's been a long, 5 years process. I even went into a book store and filmed Book Titles to see what grabbed my attention.

Two graphic artists... Thousads of miles away from each other, (we've met in person) have worked on Cover and we're close
to having the final version ready for publisher.

In the second version, if you look close, you can see the man walking into the 'portal' and 3 numbers at the top... I's a clock...

Two proof readers are working side by side again today

Thank you for your post and the input... Much appreciated.

“This book is a memoir of specific life events, reliving emotions that are difficult to admit or even to feel. It is an account of the altered states that trauma induces, which make it possible to survive a life-threatening event but impair the capacity to feel fear, and worse still, impair the ability to trust and love.”

When I looked at it again today I liked the final version even more than yesterday.
However, something else just occurred to me......

The byline says: "How I escaped a deadly cult and survived the journey of life".

1. How important is "the journey of life"? Is it really about that or is it purely about surviving Narconon?

2. Scientology and Narconon are not mentioned. That could be for legal reasons...

It does leave the reader not knowing what the cult is until they open the book. There is a little "hook" there for them to want to open the book to find out, but are they interested enough in cults generally, or are you famous enough for them to want to see which cult you were in? If the answer is a very strong "yes" then it should work well, if not, could the byline be made more effective?

the cult could be anything - Christian/Islam or anything else......

OTOH, the word "Scientology" probably has a lot of pulling power now and your book really is about "Narconon" -a word which may not be as instantly recognizable to the public.....

Why not something like "How I escaped Scientology's infamous Narconon Program"

Or: "How I escaped Scientology's infamous Drug Program"
Or: "How I escaped Narconon, Scientology's infamous Drug Program"
Or: "How I escaped Scientology's infamous Drug Rundown". The word "Rundown" could be associated with "escape" by public who don't know what it is. That could make the byline more creepy and give it more pulling power.

YMMV.

Good Luck with the book!!!!!!!!!

I am not a book publisher and have never worked for one. I have done some work in advertising.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Hello David,

Since you asked for comments here are mine:

I agree with Degraded being for the title..shall be modified in significative punch line for public to get interested in reading more. He provided good suggestions.

Also, the cover shall be completely redesigned. (too much stuff, info, pictures, wrong typo wrong layout..)
I wouldn't publish a book with this cover - It must be designed according to graphic design rules.
A good\bad cover design will make the difference in your sales and readers :unsure:

If you'd like more info about what doesn't fit in your cover design and how it can be worked out, you may pm me.

Lotus

Cornelius Bigot

Patron with Honors
Hello David,

You'll likely hear many different opinions on the book cover, but i must say that to me even the second version is way too busy.
I like Photoshopping, and i'll post a crude little something i did. Not to say what i think it should be like, but more to illustrate the contrast to a more modest design.

Plus, your beautiful face should be on the book. :biggrin:

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
What I like with this pic of David is that it can be seen in his attitude that he will will stand up against the cult and fight..like David against Goliath ...and will determindly take down Narconon in canada armed with a computer, paper and friends.

This draft is a good improvement on the layout and fonts :thumbsup::yes:

Intelligence

When I looked at it again today I liked the final version even more than yesterday.
However, something else just occurred to me......

The byline says: "How I escaped a deadly cult and survived the journey of life".

1. How important is "the journey of life"? Is it really about that or is it purely about surviving Narconon?

2. Scientology and Narconon are not mentioned. That could be for legal reasons...

It does leave the reader not knowing what the cult is until they open the book. There is a little "hook" there for them to want to open the book to find out, but are they interested enough in cults generally, or are you famous enough for them to want to see which cult you were in? If the answer is a very strong "yes" then it should work well, if not, could the byline be made more effective?

the cult could be anything - Christian/Islam or anything else......

OTOH, the word "Scientology" probably has a lot of pulling power now and your book really is about "Narconon" -a word which may not be as instantly recognizable to the public.....

Why not something like "How I escaped Scientology's infamous Narconon Program"

Or: "How I escaped Scientology's infamous Drug Program"
Or: "How I escaped Narconon, Scientology's infamous Drug Program"
Or: "How I escaped Scientology's infamous Drug Rundown". The word "Rundown" could be associated with "escape" by public who don't know what it is. That could make the byline more creepy and give it more pulling power.

YMMV.

Good Luck with the book!!!!!!!!!

I am not a book publisher and have never worked for one. I have done some work in advertising.

You're right, the public is not familiar with the Narconon name. One TV reporter called it "NarcaCON" a month
or so ago.

I'm not concerned with any "legal reasons" why NN/COS is not mentioned on cover... both are mentioned in detail inside
the book... naming the culprits.

Just received 2 letters from the Montreal courthouse today about MY lawsuit against NN/COS. There will be NO mediation...
we're waiting for a trial date now.

"How I escaped a deadly cult and survived the journey of life" is important BEFORE and AFTER I arrived at, then escaped Narconon.

"It does leave the reader not knowing what the cult is until they open the book. There is a little "hook" there for them to want to open..."

Thank YOU and LOTUS and ALL who made suggestions.:thumbsup:

Intelligence

What I like with this pic of David is that it can be seen in his attitude that he will will stand up against the cult and fight..like David against Goliath ...and will determindly take down Narconon in canada armed with a computer, paper and friends.

This draft is a good improvement on the layout and fonts :thumbsup::yes:

Here's where the image came from... my first media interview:

http://anoneire.ning.com/profiles/blogs/pa-targetself

28h314i.jpg

Purple Rain

Crusader
Hello David,

You'll likely hear many different opinions on the book cover, but i must say that to me even the second version is way too busy.
I like Photoshopping, and i'll post a crude little something i did. Not to say what i think it should be like, but more to illustrate the contrast to a more modest design.

Plus, your beautiful face should be on the book. :biggrin:

I love this one. I also find even the second one too busy and it reminds me of Scientology poster art a little. But I am very excited about the book and wish you all the best with it.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Hello David,

Like I previously mentionned to you, the professional cover design is important if you expect people to be interested in your book. People who underestimate it's importance usually have big deception in sales.

Let's just have a look at Nancy Many, Amy Scoobe, Marc Headly, Laurence Wright, John Atac books and you'll see they all have been professionaly designed to be attractive.
If your story deserve to be written, an read by a public, then it deserve to be wrapped a professional way.

Here is just a rough draft to enlight you on

1) how a good layout may look (can infact be way better than this one)
2) how to use a punch line to get interest
3) how to use graphics and layout
4) how to use fonts

So you get an idea of what you should look for to push interest in your book.

I'd like to mention that you should take advantage of the fact that people have heard about $cientology recently, (which resonate as scandalous and dangerous ) because of Going Clear documentary...but I am not convinced that the word ''cult'' is really of interest for general public. One thing people are really curious is ''how we get trapped in it'' they can't figure it out....They often ask here...

Good luck and have a good succes!
attachment.php

Attachments

• DavidLoveBook.jpg
    DavidLoveBook.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Lori

Cheryl E Love
I love this one. I also find even the second one too busy and it reminds me of Scientology poster art a little. But I am very excited about the book and wish you all the best with it.
Purple Rain.....I like this one too. The look of determination on his face is priceless! :coolwink: but.....I will defer to him what he wants to go with.
He/we are getting close and it's so exciting! :happydance:

Intelligence

I/We finally did it. Dante's Eighth Circle will be published Sept. 11, 2015 and available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble,
and several other Partner locations outside North America in Russia, Brazil, Germany, South Korea, Poland, and other
countries on or about Sept. 23, 2015.

This was a journey that had me, my editor, and graphic artist pulling our hair out till wee hours of the morning
for past 6 weeks.

The PROOF arrived from the Publisher this morning and all is good to go. What a relief. A big THANK YOU to ALL you helped
and advised me here on ESMB.:thankyou:

http://www.wireservice.ca/index.php?module=News&func=display&sid=16900

zuk09v.jpg

Front Cover Photo Credit: Carole Raddato, Frankfurt, Germany.

Entrance to the Cave of the Sibyl, Cumae. (File from Wikimedia Commons, via file upload bot, Magnus Manske.)

Cover Design Collaboration: Gary Lee-Nova (Canadian Artist) with Anonymous friends at WWP and ESMB.

Editors: Cheryl E. Dickens-Harlow, with friends at Why We Protest

Typesetting: Typeset in Linux Libertine by a friend at WWP, using a MiKTEX distribution of LATEX.

Last edited: