What's new

Adjustments...how to relax, have fun, get along with others, study...wow

something I realised...

Hi Clamicide,

If you get the chance you might want to read Malcolm Gladwell's recent book called Outliers. It is a surprisingly easy read given the subject matter and it might help you in the same way it did me.

When I finally left I was absolutely hopeless at interacting with anyone. Being born into the SO and then leaving 25 years later is not conducive to one's social intelligence. Nowadays I rarely think about it. But it took time. And it will for you too I suspect. Malcolm's book explains why.

Essentially he proposes (and has a lot of evidence to support the theory) that anyone who is exceptionally skilled at something is that way because they have spent at least 10,000 hours doing it. Or roughly 10 years. It doesn't matter what the skill is, the theory applies.

When I read this it suddenly dawned on me that there was nothing wrong with me at all. It was simply the fact that I had not had any time interacting with the real world and real people. I had a lot of catching up to do, that was all.

It will get better I promise. I think you know that but take it from someone who has been through it. I didn't do anything special. I just started living my life as best I could.

best,

blue

p.s. sorry for calling you dude earlier... it's a So Cal thing I think.

renegade

Silver Meritorious Patron
I can sure relate to this thread! I am still a recovering ex!

Reading self help books has helped me a lot to chill out after all the abuse.

The other one was writing a journal - no holds barred and really getting it out of my system.

TG1

Angelic Poster
I can sure relate to this thread! I am still a recovering ex!

Reading self help books has helped me a lot to chill out after all the abuse.

The other one was writing a journal - no holds barred and really getting it out of my system.

I also endorse journaling to help on many fronts -- the kind of journaling where you're writing for NO ONE, not even for yourself. The kind of journaling where you just write and write and write and get it out of your body and your head and your mind and your soul out onto the page. And you don't judge it. At all! Or edit it. At all!

There's so much online about the power of journaling to heal. Check it out ... it could wind up being one of your "things."

Very best wishes and good luck to you, Clamicide!

TG1

P.S. I'm so happy to hear you're in school. That's very smart of you.

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
oh my

I haven't had anything to say, because I've had too much to say, and too little time, and the culture clash is so real. I'm going to post more. It's finals week. I'm dying. I got 3 A's in classes, but I'm sort of breaking down, and I'm learning more about Scio/Non-Scio thought all the time. Thank you for all the replies. I wish I didn't have to get through 2 labs and a final in the next 2 days, I do read when I can, and man....have I gotten some insight. It's a whole new world. More than I realized when I first posted. And, hell, learning is so different than the Hubbard shite. Wow. I'm toast. I'm tired--and, yeah, getting those "brain connections" back is a BITCH. I do have to keep reminding myself that I got those...and well, hell...I wound up sick and I'm thinking that the A in Stats might die a painful death. The Quarterback is Toast! (Diehard). And....it's OK....I won't get sent to cramming. Education outside of Scio also isn't perfect...I'd been an A student until last week. Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies. I just am too fricking tired to reply. Have too many damn thoughts to just give a throwaway post either here or in my story. You guys help me keep going...even when I don't have time to participate, and I can just take 3 minutes out of my study time at the library or lab to remember you guys are there. Some days, you just..........!@#$, and then you read a couple of posts here, and you just feel like....well, hell. Go ahead and pass that damned test. Life out of Scio is better.

And after finals, I WILL post about studying outside of the TECH...cuz, it's so damned different...and I SWEAR, I feel new brain cells growing...and my best prof reminded me that I am not equal to the score of my last chem test. *sigh*. This guy gave a damn about what we learned...and cared how we were doing. Talk about lessons learned. Oh...and I was also approached about how I would be a really awesome teacher for non-credit classes...this new world is so bizarre. Scio always talked about you becoming the individual, but it's only since I've left that people really treat me as an individual and see my individual quirks and possibilities....

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Good to hear from you friend :) You are so going to have a good life with all these seeds you are planting. It's tough, but so worth it. You just seem to be in the right place at the right time. There's an unmistakable air of rightness in your post. Even though it's tough and it's tiring, you're doing what you want to do. I think you are amazing :)

Takin Time

Patron with Honors
Clamicide,

I used to talk too much. Now I find myself on a different study in life. I'm studying people, politics, cultures, life, society... whatever I can. I find that when I get in a new situation (like meeting new people for the first time), I do a lot more listening and observing now before I open up and blab away. I find it refreshing, calming, and a very good learning experience.

On picking friends...

I've learned that I don't need to be friends with everyone. I can pick and choose a little. I find I prefer to converse with a single other person, not groups. I'm no good at parties and multi-people gatherings. I tend to like people who are similar to me --- those who also prefer to converse with a single other person. It seems a good match. I've learned that I can be "friends" of many people without trying to become "best friends". It's okay now to just know someone a little, or meet them a time or two, with no feelings of guilt if I never call them again. I don't think they're too worried about me, either.

So don't try to "strain" to get those personal relationships. You might find someone just like yourself and become BFFs. And that would be fine, too.

Relationships and friendships and social situations are not black and white like "wallflower" versus "life of the party". There are so many gray shades in between. (And I don't mean 'gray shades' like a single one-dimensional gradient, either! I mean gray all over the color spectrum.)

FoTi

Crusader
Clami, sounds like you're doing great! Congrats on the A's. I was always frazzled at finals.....you'll make it. I'm so glad to hear of your success. You're quite a lady.

Wishing you the best on the rest of your finals.

Will you be going to school during the summer?

graduation speech

Our youngest graduated with a masters degree today. She was in a small program of only 21 students. Students came from 11 nations. This was the speech by one of the students.

IPS Graduation Remarks: Advice for the Class of 2012

First, on behalf of the class, I’d like to welcome all the guests: friends, parents. Thank you for coming to our graduation ceremony, some of you from very far away. We really appreciate the effort. More importantly, thank you for the support each of us has received over the last two years. It has been an interesting journey, and we couldn’t have completed it without you.

Let me also welcome, and be the first to officially thank, our IPS program administrators, affiliated faculty, and advisors. In particular, thanks to Dr. Stedman, our Director, his deputy, Sara Tung, Sara’s predecessor, Sihla Koop, and the indescribable Jonathan Achter. Each of you has been very patient and flexible, guiding us through this program masterfully. Many thanks for that.

And finally, let me both welcome and give heartfelt congratulations to the IPS class of 2010. Congrats on an amazing two years, guys. We did it!!

So, I have to admit, I solicited a bit of advice in advance of this speech, though not all the input I received was entirely helpful. One of my D.C. colleagues declared that, if I started to talk about how “IPS can change the world,” I should walk away from the microphone immediately. A business school friend suggested I should do my speech in Dr. Seuss rhyme … but he’s a MBA, after all, so I shouldn’t have expected serious advice.

Several of my classmates gave me advice, too, suggesting I “keep it light” and “keep it short,” which I’ll definitely try. A lot of them also gave me great advice, but not until this morning. Thanks guys – really helpful. Plus, the advice I got was things like: “say ‘Evan is totally awesome’” or “make sure you pepper Sadika throughout your speech.” So … there you go, guys, you’re in there.

I did, however, hear something surprisingly useful from Dr. Stedman. At the end-of-the-year party he asked me what “pearls of wisdom” I planned to offer today. Now, I fully understood his question was laced with sarcasm, but I’ll admit, it did get me thinking.

Over the last two years, our class has learned a lot from our Stanford experience; a lot from each other. And, being a committed policy student, it seems only right that we should try to leave our world better than we found it. So, I figured it might be useful to pass on some of our lessons learned to those who will follow us.

So, some pieces of advice – 8, to be exact - for the incoming IPS class of 2012:

1 – Embrace your diversity. Take it from our class: it is a good thing. We have a small cohort - there are only 21 of us - but between us, we represent 11 different countries, have worked on 6 different continents (Megan may have worked in Antarctica, I can’t remember), have experience in various sectors of the economy, and bring to Stanford broadly different skills. And yet, even with all these differences, we are a unit. More than maybe any other program here, we fit together. So, class of 2012, just know that your class’s diversity will be not only your strength, but also your glue.

2– Take golf, fencing, scuba diving, kickball, a day off – something, anything, that will keep you fresh. Take advantage of the fact that you live in one of the most beautiful places in the world. You are in California. California is awesome. Don’t waste it.

3 – Recognize you will need your classmates; if you are doing this alone, you are not doing it right. In our class, we are each better for having known each other; we are each better from having learned from one another. Stick together, because, really, you don’t want to get lost in the sea of Stanford engineers.

4 – Take a breath and take stock. At some point, you will think you are stupid, feel under-prepared and over-matched, but you will be wrong. Our first quarter at Stanford, we all felt a little overwhelmed, a little desperate, finding solace in little else beyond our statistics textbook that was – no kidding - full of cartoons. But the source of our discomfort was not stupidity – it was growth. Use it. Don’t panic. It’ll only sting for a little bit.

5 – Go to San Francisco. It is much cooler than Palo Alto, and cheaper, too. Plus, it’ll keep you away from undergraduate frat parties that will all too quickly have you “barking” like you did at the University of Georgia (ahem – Tyler).

6 – Forget about your GPA … because everyone else will. If you only take classes that play to your strengths, if you only focus on what you think you want to know, you will have missed the point. This is an interdisciplinary program; you are here to broaden your perspective, not confirm it. In our class, each and every one of us challenged ourselves, and in doing so, succeeded in proving our worth in a way a GPA will never capture.

7 – Go to math camp, despite the fact that it is exactly as cool as it sounds. You will get to meet your classmates, get free food, and maybe re-learn some calculus. Also - come better prepared than I did - I was armed with only my “Math for Dummies” book and drugstore calculator. Purchase a TI-83 – trust me on this.

8 – Think about your future, but don’t let ambition sabotage you. At Stanford, you will be surrounded by people - students and faculty, alike -who have had brilliant careers and who seem to have been destined to achieve great things. But remember: they became great because they were good at what they did, not what they were going to do. Don’t be so anxious about becoming something better than you are now, when what you do today will make you who you are in the future

There are lots of other bits of advice – like get a bike with gears for the Law School hill … live in Rains or be friends with someone who does … ask Professor Bulow to throw out the orange juice before his pricing class … or plan a study trip to somewhere you never thought you wanted to go. Obviously, with two years of material, I could go on.

But, in the spirit of keeping this short, let me just close by again saying thanks to my classmates. We will all take so many great things away from our Stanford experience, including, and perhaps most importantly, our connection to each other.

Thanks for the last two years; I couldn’t have done it without you, and certainly wouldn’t have wanted to.

Congratulations, class of 2010!

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
*phew*

Well, I'm goofy and happy--and I love reading this stuff. You guys are wonderful. I've missed it here. I found out just prior to my last presentation that I have to move--and it has a bit to do with the fact that I'm socially inept still. :D So, I did screw up my last final--(so pissed and stressed that I didn't bring my page of notes and was trying to scribble what I could right before and left off some formulae that was a big chunk of the exam) and the worst that will happen is that I'll retake the damn class. BUT, HEY!!!! I WON'T have to go to cramming! I am not being yelled at. Life won't end, and I'm not going to be scrubbing toilets. It's kind of a good thing that I did screw it up, because, I survived and now I know I can survive imperfection. :) Weird the old BS that we tend to buy into.

I'm at the library, and going to pick up ANYTHING besides a textbook. I did have some fun this weekend:coolwink: Rewriting your life takes a bit of work.

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Well, I'm goofy and happy--and I love reading this stuff. You guys are wonderful. I've missed it here. I found out just prior to my last presentation that I have to move--and it has a bit to do with the fact that I'm socially inept still. :D So, I did screw up my last final--(so pissed and stressed that I didn't bring my page of notes and was trying to scribble what I could right before and left off some formulae that was a big chunk of the exam) and the worst that will happen is that I'll retake the damn class. BUT, HEY!!!! I WON'T have to go to cramming! I am not being yelled at. Life won't end, and I'm not going to be scrubbing toilets. It's kind of a good thing that I did screw it up, because, I survived and now I know I can survive imperfection. :) Weird the old BS that we tend to buy into.

I'm at the library, and going to pick up ANYTHING besides a textbook. I did have some fun this weekend:coolwink: Rewriting your life takes a bit of work.

Thanks for the update. You're doing great! Good to know that you're taking some time out for fun :) Retakes are no problem - I've done my share of them :)

YogaLover

Re: How to Get Along With Others

omg...I'm not talking about tone levels, like that fricking course taught us that I'm naming this post on. Being in Scientology, more specifically, being on staff and training to be an auditor during my last stint has resulted in me being so socially awkward that it is ridiculous. I need coping skills...Yes folks, I have no friends.

I am shy as hell--cutting out bullbait has made me have to REALLY face what people are saying and doing, instead of just "confronting" and "comfortably experiencing". The other day after my chem prof asked how I was, and I gave the socially accepted "fine"...he replied that "not so good. Nothing to do with this class, but I just feel angry...some days I just feel like hitting someone"... HUH. Honesty....OUTSIDE of session...and not to be handled. Simple acks feel so artificial.

I am hypershy in so many ways, that I end up overcompensating. I realize now that "finding R to gain C and A" was just a great way for me to remove myself from the situation....being remote, I could operate the thing, but I lost the ability to truly ENGAGE with other people. Same thing with tone scale matching...and going slightly above. People became lab rats...apply the formula and see the result.

So, now, I'm struggling. It sounds stupid, but I don't know how to make friends. I come off like such a crazy git half the time...and I somewhat can see in a haze that I'm being an idiot, yet I DON'T SHUT UP!!! Luckily, I have some amazing roomies and that is helping to start bridge the gap. (last place I lived, I hid in my room for days on end). One chick in the house, who is just someone I admire to death and is bright and competent and amazing, recently spontaneously gave me some feedback that showed that I actually mattered to here, and it actually brought me to tears. Generally, though, I'm a social retard....sooooo, the question is....What has worked for you guys? Or did you guys not have to work at it? Am I the only one who became socially crippled?

Hi Clamicide,

Your posting has inspired me! Today is the first time I've come onto this board looking for some help coming to terms with the struggles I've been facing after leaving. Your posting brought tears to my eyes because it's exactly how I've been feeling. It's taken me years and a lot of counseling to finally start to see the possibility that maybe I can feel normal, happy and strong like other people I know. Being in the SO for 11 years during the prime of my life has been really difficult to overcome. I still struggle with feeling akward and socially inept, feeling like I don't fit in with other people and have nothing interesting to offer in social conversation. Slowly though I am overcoming that. I know you are too.

School is an amazing experience! Congrats!! I am going to college part time and know how challenging yet inspiring it is! These kids are so comfortable with who they are and aren't afraid to speak up and challenge what we are being taught or express their own views. It made me realize just how psychologically abused I was. Keep at it and know that the more you can develop and realize what actually makes you happy and comfortable is exactly the right thing for you! We are unique and no matter what we are beautiful, strong, resilient souls :)

Thank you for starting this post. It's giving me hope.

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: How to Get Along With Others

Hi Clamicide,

Your posting has inspired me! Today is the first time I've come onto this board looking for some help coming to terms with the struggles I've been facing after leaving. Your posting brought tears to my eyes because it's exactly how I've been feeling. It's taken me years and a lot of counseling to finally start to see the possibility that maybe I can feel normal, happy and strong like other people I know. Being in the SO for 11 years during the prime of my life has been really difficult to overcome. I still struggle with feeling akward and socially inept, feeling like I don't fit in with other people and have nothing interesting to offer in social conversation. Slowly though I am overcoming that. I know you are too.

School is an amazing experience! Congrats!! I am going to college part time and know how challenging yet inspiring it is! These kids are so comfortable with who they are and aren't afraid to speak up and challenge what we are being taught or express their own views. It made me realize just how psychologically abused I was. Keep at it and know that the more you can develop and realize what actually makes you happy and comfortable is exactly the right thing for you! We are unique and no matter what we are beautiful, strong, resilient souls :)

Thank you for starting this post. It's giving me hope.

I sent you an email through the board earlier , but realized since your PMs were turned off that you might not have given an email addy that you don't use, and I understand that if so. Please feel free to PM me. It's been a while since I posted that and have been up and down and around since then, but I'm still here...and as bad as it get some days...it's always better than being in the cult. And..I've had joyful experiences that would not have been possible when I was in the cult. There is hope. Promise. Take care.

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
I found it important to realize that the truths, both relative and absolute, are true just because they are. Has nothing to do with Elron plagiarizing them and pretending to be "source." So, don't turn your back on a truth just because Elron used it as cheese to bait the trap with. Screw Elron, REALLY! Who cares what he lied about and took credit for. Scientology is a watered down copy/paste job of "truths" his early group uncovered from some of histories greatest minds. So, if it's true, keep it, irregardless of whether the whore of bablology stole it and trapped you with it. Rob the trap of it's cheese and move on. And whatever you do, realize you don't need to do everything Elron told you NOT to do just to prove your freedom from him. That's all part of his trap structure. You don't want to go into a self destruction tailspin of drugs and alcohol just because Elron told you not to and now you're gonna show him!!!! Just an unseen component of the trap, and the worst one... Seen it, done it.