Advice on refund

Jakadak

Patron with Honors
Hi.
I am initially asking for opinions regarding refunding.

Due to the fact that in the last few weeks I have been reading some pretty atrocious stories about OSA cover-ups and other un-ethical activities in the CofS, I feel that the $50,000 I have donated to the IAS has not and will not be used for the stated purpose (helping children) and this donation was obtained under false pretences. :angry:

I am seriously considering taking legal action to recover that money.

What do you think?

I would appreciate your input.

cheers Jakadak

Anne Ominous

Patron with Honors
There is a group that helps people get their money back. Will try and find details for you.

Much of the time they will simply settle out of court because they don't want the out-PR it would cause if they lost, like the Wollersheim case.

Jakadak

Patron with Honors
Ok. Thanks Anne Ominous. I thought it would be the case that they settle out of court for PR reasons.

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
Look for Tory's (Magoo's) post on getting a repayment from IAS. My husband and I have sent 2 - 3 letters with no response from the IAS. Not even a "go to hell" letter.

However, we and many others here have had success getting repayments from whichever org we've had money on account at. Just do a search, there are many posts here about repayments. If you need any assistance, just PM me. The letter my husband & I used has worked wonders. Over $200K in repayments.

Pitbull

Patron with Honors
Do you only want to get the IAS donations back? Or ALL your money?

From my experience getting cash back from IAS is a somewhat different cycle
then getting cash back from ORGs. IAS is run from St. Hill and you might
want to deal with IAS directly on this one if possible.

DO NOT WORK WITH ANYONE WHO INSISTS ON YOU PAYING THEM
A FEE OR A PERCENTAGE FOR GETTING YOUR MONEY BACK.

DON'T DO IT. Unless you ultimately want to hire your own lawyer, but
that's different, and you shouldn't have to go that far to get your money back.

Your reasons are exceptionally valid. Just the "false pretenses" is a very strong argument. If you donated extra money beyond the regular required membership, expecting it to go to something it didn't.

What did they tell you when you donated? It was always my impression that IAS was primarily set up to protect scientology, not to promote kids.

Fortunately MANY are successful at getting their money back.

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
Good idea, Jakadak.

The more refunds and repayments that the CoS has to make, the less reserves, lawyers fees, PIs fees etc they have to harrass their critics, and the less resources to get new people hooked in.

So go for it, I say!

Here's a link you may find helpful.

Regarding refunds

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
Something to remember: the last thing CoS wants is to have to show in discovery in a lawsuit where the IAS money actually went, especially the details of where it went. That's your leverage.

They especially don't want to make public how much they've had to refund.

cinamingrl

Patron Meritorious
```

Hi.

Due to the fact that in the last few weeks I have been reading some pretty atrocious stories about OSA cover-ups and other un-ethical activities in the CofS, I feel that the $50,000 I have donated to the IAS has not and will not be used for the stated purpose (helping children) and this donation was obtained under false pretences. :angry:

What do you think?

cheers Jakadak
Yes, $50,000 is a lot of money. I'd definitely get it back, and post here about it. I want to know.:duh:

Terril park

Sponsor
I have friends in the UK that would like a refund for superpower and IAS donations. As far as I know this has not been successfully done. It may
possibly need different approaches in different countries.

I've only heard of Tory's successfull action here and she says its tightened up now.

One report I hearde from somewhere that IAS changes officiual locations to make refunds difficult.

Jakadak

Patron with Honors
Do you only want to get the IAS donations back? Or ALL your money?

Mainly the IAS money. I was only in SCN for a very short time and hadn't overly spent. They also have about $1000 sitting there in my account which I'll probably try to get back. Come to think of it all of it would be ideal to get it all back !!

Your reasons are exceptionally valid. Just the "false pretenses" is a very strong argument. If you donated extra money beyond the regular required membership, expecting it to go to something it didn't.

What did they tell you when you donated? It was always my impression that IAS was primarily set up to protect scientology, not to promote kids.

Fortunately MANY are successful at getting their money back.

Re the IAS money... they "worked' on me until 4 in the morning, until they mentioned that the money would help children to get off Ritalin etc. That was my button and they found it. I would be helping to save the kids of Australia !!

Thanks to all that have answered me. You have been extremely helpful and I will be looking at all of your suggestion in detail.

Cheers
Jakadak

Carmel

Crusader
Hey Jakadak,

You were a good girl to donate that money to the IAS. I know why you did and that's commendable :yes: .

Am glad now that you are being a really smart girl, and are intent on getting it back! All the best with it! :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Ceedia

Power Change

Patron Meritorious
Been a lurker for some time now....quite some time. I should have posted sooner as this board really has helped me...a lot. :thankyou: Thought I would start here.

I wanted to mention that I think a lawyer should be used to get any money back....unless you have been declared or are not eligible for service-then you can just write and do it yourself. That is just my opinion and what was recommended to me by the OG--

I think to keep some stress off yourself and show the church you mean business helps. I also think that an attorney threatening to file a complaint with the IRS and Ways and Means committee should the church not comply...holds more weight and speeds things up. I have read A LOT on many boards, and have had success myself so far.

I plan on pursuing the IAS refund as well and will keep you posted. I will be able to reveal more soon. I am going for as much repayment as I can including trying for my money back on those damn buildings (superpower, ideal orgs) and the IAS. :angry: The whole thing makes me want to spit....or worse....:puke:

One day soon, when someone angelic and fearless takes the lead to organize a group for a class action lawsuit against the church for fraud....I will be on that list too so we can all get refunds! I think it will happen, I really do. :bwahaha:

When I am totally done with the money thing I will let you all know and share any info I can to help the next person.

I agree with many hear that say--go for it...get your money back !!! :happydance:

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re the IAS money... they "worked' on me until 4 in the morning, until they mentioned that the money would help children to get off Ritalin etc. That was my button and they found it. I would be helping to save the kids of Australia !!

Cheers
Jakadak

The IAS doesn't do a damn thing to get kids off ritalin, or anything else to help kids for that matter. It's whole purpose it to pay the PIs and lawyers and cover the out of court settlements. They outright lied. That is fraud. Go for every penny and don't sign any non-disclosure bonds.

I plan on pursuing the IAS refund as well and will keep you posted. I will be able to reveal more soon. I am going for as much repayment as I can including trying for my money back on those damn buildings (superpower, ideal orgs) and the IAS. :angry: The whole thing makes me want to spit....or worse....:puke:

If you donated to Sydney Ideal Org, I believe the money was usurped to pay for Melbourne's building. That might give you a bit of leverage.

One day soon, when someone angelic and fearless takes the lead to organize a group for a class action lawsuit against the church for fraud....I will be on that list too so we can all get refunds! I think it will happen, I really do. :bwahaha:

Now you're talking! :yes:

HappyGirl

Gold Meritorious Patron
Been a lurker for some time now....quite some time. I should have posted sooner as this board really has helped me...a lot. :thankyou: Thought I would start here...

One day soon, when someone angelic and fearless takes the lead to organize a group for a class action lawsuit against the church for fraud....I will be on that list too so we can all get refunds! I think it will happen, I really do.

I have really enjoyed your posts, PC. Especially that newsprint hug. In fact, I have been looking for it, but lost it (it's impossible to find anything anymore - I just got a third star!) Was that you that post it? If so, could you send it again? I really loved it. If it wasn't you, then never mind. :)

Wow, I never thought about a class action suit. What a great idea!!

EmilySun

Need advice on getting my $$ statement from my old org

Hi everyone, I'd like some advice too, I want to know how much money I have on account in my old org so that I can ask for and eventually get my money returned. I have money at flag as well. I can't tell from my old statements how much was used and how much is on account. I hear it's easier to get money that hasn't been used. I'm afraidI will have to get back in touch with my org which brings up a lot of anxiety. So I want to get as prepared as possible. My goal is to have a short phone conversation where I ask them to send me a written record with as little discussion as possible. My fear is that they will demand that I come in and put me through a some kind of cycle from hell and even then I might not get the financial statement I want. Does anyone have any advice? What's the approach that will get them to be the most helpful? Should I act like I plan to get on lines and buy something. I can't remember what the rules are about getting a financial statement. is getting a statement is easy or simple?
A little about me: I'm new to the boards. I have been out of scientology for a while. I am really thankful for sites like this it has helped me process and recover.
Thanks
Emily

Hi.

What do you think?

cheers Jakadak

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hi everyone, I'd like some advice too, I want to know how much money I have on account in my old org so that I can ask for and eventually get my money returned. I have money at flag as well. I can't tell from my old statements how much was used and how much is on account. I hear it's easier to get money that hasn't been used. I'm afraidI will have to get back in touch with my org which brings up a lot of anxiety. So I want to get as prepared as possible. My goal is to have a short phone conversation where I ask them to send me a written record with as little discussion as possible. My fear is that they will demand that I come in and put me through a some kind of cycle from hell and even then I might not get the financial statement I want. Does anyone have any advice? What's the approach that will get them to be the most helpful? Should I act like I plan to get on lines and buy something. I can't remember what the rules are about getting a financial statement. is getting a statement is easy or simple?
A little about me: I'm new to the boards. I have been out of scientology for a while. I am really thankful for sites like this it has helped me process and recover.
Thanks
Emily

Welcome to the board Emily,

Just call and ask the treasury department how much money you have on account. If they ask why, just say you're thinking about doing a service and that you need to know how much money you'll need to come up with, if any, based on your account balance. Then request that they mail you a statement, so that you have the proof of what they told you.

I understand the anxiety of calling. I'm surprised you haven't been getting statements all along. Just play the game. A few minutes of anxiety to get the balance so that you can thus get a repayment is worth the repayment amount.

Good luck.

Daisy

Patron with Honors
Get your money back! It can be done. We got our $18,000 from accounts at Flag, Stevens Creek Org and AOLA. We did end up getting a lawyer, total cost about $2000.00. It can be done cheaper. Do not sign a gag order. Get your money while there is some left.