What's new

Agape Ministries to be dismantled

Jump

Operating teatime

DM, Could this be how it all ends?

Million-dollar financial empire of Agape Ministries and Rocco Leo dismantled by order of SA court

THE financial empire of the controversial Agape Ministries doomsday cult has been dismantled, ending a three-year District Court saga.

Judge David Lovell today ordered assets belonging to the cult and its fugitive founder, Rocco Leo, be sold off to compensate a former parishioner and the Australian Taxation Office.

He further ordered legal costs incurred by the ATO and Silvia Melchiorre, in their pursuit of Agape, be paid from the cult's assets.

Finally, Judge Lovell altered a freezing order that has been in place for three years so Leo - who is living in Fiji - can pay his lawyers and his living expenses.

The parties have been involved in litigation since 2010, when Agape Ministries first came to public attention.

... the ATO [Australian Taxation Office] stripped Agape of its legal status as a religion, revoked its tax exemptions and demanded it pay 10 years worth of taxes.

Read more...

...dat's gotta hurt a cult leader's pride

Jump

Operating teatime
IT CAN BE DONE!

YES! And this was in South Australia, the home of the shady tax shelter COSRECI which laundered the income of St Hill and sundry other European CoS frauds.

[video=youtube;PJElyQXh9no]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJElyQXh9no[/video]

... do I hear the sound of knives sharpening?

Jump

Operating teatime
Were there any former members of Agape at the CIFS conference, do you know?

I don't think there were. But independent Federal Senator Xenophon (for SA) took a big interest in the Agape case and spoke at each of the larger CIFS conferences.

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Oh my stars and garders!! :omg::omg: I need to know if this is the Agape Ministries in Los Angeles, CA? Michael Beckwith, minister? I used to go to this church before Scientology. :duh::duh::duh:

If it is the same one - I am getting the idea that most of the New Age "religions and spiritual practices" are CULTS!!

This cult primed me for the mother load of Cults!! The Big Daddy of Cults - Scientology!!

Anyone know anything? What did Agape Ministries do?

Purple Rain

Crusader
I don't think there were. But independent Federal Senator Xenophon (for SA) took a big interest in the Agape case and spoke at each of the larger CIFS conferences.

Yeah, I found it quite fascinating talking to people from other cults. It's great that Xen went in to bat for the Agape victims.