aGLIFF Review: Kate Bornstein is a Queer and Pleasant Danger (re Scientology)

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
The Horn: aGLIFF Review: Kate Bornstein is a Queer and Pleasant Danger
http://www.readthehorn.com/lifestyl...kate_bornstein_is_a_queer_and_pleasant_danger

Excerpts:
Many people probably recognize Kate Bornstein's name from her books, including Gender Outlaw and My (New) Gender Workbook. She was also the second woman to ever receive a degree from Brown University. An author, performance artist, gender theorist, activist, and self-proclaimed trans-dyke, Bornstein has been an inspiration to many in the gender non-conforming community for decades.

Sam Feder has recently completed a documentary about Bornstein's life, entitled Kate Bornstein Is a Queer and Pleasant Danger, a play on the title of her recent memoir. The film combines animation, interviews, verite, and archival footage of Bornstein's performances and lectures.
Bornstein is also honest about her involvement in the Church of Scientology. She says that what first drew her to Scientology is the idea that “people are not minds, not bodies, but immortal spiritual beings with no gender.” Bornstein left Scientology after 12 years. But now, since she is considered a “suppressive person,” she can have no contact with her daughter, who still practices Scientology, or her grandchildren.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
I love Kate ( the former Al Bornstein ).

So glad she is doing well in her fight against cancer.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
I am privileged to know Kate, and she is absolutely wonderful today, after having left Scientology.

If love is the answer, what is the question?

Simply put, the question is:
Who is Kate Bornstein?

Love,
Churchill

Mookster

Patron
As someone who has seen what struggles with ones identity and the fight to transition and make the outside match the inside can do to a person, I can't even imagine what it would be like to have to struggle with all of that within the confines of $cientology! To deal with the self loathing it's designed to make you feel for having such 'aberrations' and come out of it alive is truly remarkable! What fools they are to label Kate SP. If she isn't an example of titanium level strength and survival against all odds, I don't know who is! Of course the 'church' being Transphobic and proud of it on top of everything else is hardly a surprise. Disappointing, but not surprising.
$cientology, the Church of Hate and Discontent. So very sad.

Jump

Operating teatime
As someone who has seen what struggles with ones identity and the fight to transition and make the outside match the inside can do to a person, I can't even imagine what it would be like to have to struggle with all of that within the confines of $cientology! To deal with the self loathing it's designed to make you feel for having such 'aberrations' and come out of it alive is truly remarkable! What fools they are to label Kate SP. If she isn't an example of titanium level strength and survival against all odds, I don't know who is! Of course the 'church' being Transphobic and proud of it on top of everything else is hardly a surprise. Disappointing, but not surprising.
$cientology, the Church of Hate and Discontent. So very sad.

:thumbsup:

You said it Mookster !

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP

Pooks

MERCHANT OF CHAOS
I had the honor to meet Kate and her partner at my SP Party. She's a hoot! She came to the party, not only because she's an SP, but she came to support Denise Brennan who publicly came out as transgender. Of course, Denise was warmly welcomed to the ex/critic community. I am so honored to have known these strong women.