What's new

An introduction...

ashajade

Hi! :)

I first stumbled on this site and others including operation clambake in about 2003, and they really made my head spin! I was about 22 and though I had not been involved in Scientology since about the age of 16, my parents who are FSMs were fairly entrenched in Scientology. It was difficult but I confronted my parents about much of what I had read about Xenu, Lisa McPherson and Hubbard's fraudulent past. They gave me the standard response about how you can't trust the media and critics. By the end of that conversation I was distraught and in tears. I couldn't believe that my parents weren't willing to look, or even consider another side to the CoS - the truth is they didn't want to look. I was left feeling like the text-book PTS person who was trying to enturbulate others by spreading black PR. Though, I never really spoke with my parents about it again, I believed much of what I had read and this set me on a path to truly knowing the CoS.

My parents were both Sea Org members in the AO in Sydney. I'm not sure how long they were in, but they routed out in the early 1990's to have my youngest sister. We moved from Sydney to Brisbane where my parents became field staff members, working normal jobs outside the church and doing courses at the Brisbane Org when time and money allowed. My sisters and I went to public school and thus began an entirely new type of world experience for us.

I don't remember much about my life as a child in the Sea Org. I know I didn't see my parents much and spent a lot of time just hanging out with the other SO members children. We lived in an old apartment building in Rushcutters Bay for a while (if I remember corretly) and then a big communal house on St. Johns Road in Glebe. I was one of the first children to attend the Athena School, in Helen Pickets house (I think).

Life was not bad. But I always wondered about 'WOGs' and the 'outside' world. About this strange organization and the strange rules that I MUST follow. How a man called LRH was able to develop all this wonderful tech for us to use...

Growing up in that environment was good in some ways...it really taught me to have high moral expectations of people, life and myself. It pushed me to think in terms I might not otherwise had considered at such a young age, like the mind, spirit and general existentialism. But soon I started to realise how hypocritical it all was. The realizations that came from my own life experience led me to believe that Scientology was a suffocating, biggoted, fascist, money hungry, brainwashing, dangerous cult. Despite its claims otherwise. Things like ....the huge amount of money one must spend to 'be free', the homophobic views, that LRH is ALWAYS RIGHT, the constant harassment to be recruited, - these things amongst others made me realize I could never reconcile my views with Scientology.

I don't have any awful stories to tell. I was lucky that my parents got out of the Sea Org when they did, and that they didn't force me or my sisters to continue to study Scientology. I think over time they understood that I would never be part of the CoS. They remain FSMs in Oz, I don't know their training levels or how much money they have given to the CoS...though we are close, we rarely talk about the CoS. One day I hope they will leave and then we can talk openly about our lives.

It really is too bad that the CoS attracts people who have such strong desire to help others, and then it takes everything they have and ruins them! The twisted irony of it all is really sickening. I am so glad to be a WOG! This 'WOG' world has its share of problems; the war, violence, insanity, poverty, oppression and suffering. Scientology isn't the answer - it's just another problem. I think some genuine compassion and integrity from each and everyone of us would take us most of the way. Let's celebrate diversity, humanity, creativity and love!

Anyway, this is only a little of my journey. I'm really here to thank everyone that's working so hard to bring justice to those who were hurt and to expose the ongoing abuses. I also want to thank the many people who have shared their heartfelt stories about the CoS. You all rock! Where the fuck is Amnesty International when you need them!?! It needs to be taken to the UNCHR!

So, I'm following what's happening around the globe, especially in Australia with great interest. I hope my parents are too.

I'll do what I can to help people free themselves of this cult and anything like it.

Thank you!!

ashajade
Kiwi in Taiwan

ps. I know a one or two people here but haven't spoken in a long time...so Hi : )

Last edited:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Hi Ashajade!

I have a particular interest in people born into or brought up in scientology and I am so glad to see you out in the world and being a normal wog. Good hey? :D

LongTimeGone

Silver Meritorious Patron
<Snip>
Growing up in that environment was good in some ways...it really taught me to have high moral expectations of people, life and myself. It pushed me to think in terms I might not otherwise had considered at such a young age, like the mind, spirit and general existentialism. But soon I started to realise how hypocritical it all was.
<Snip>

Welcome Ashajade.

Wow!!! The whole purpose of getting children brainwashed at such a young age is to prevent the realisations you state above.

You are quite a special person to have been able to step back and actually look.

Well done.

LTG

Last edited:

Arthur Dent

Welcome Ashajade!
Sounds like you have your head on straight!
How about your younger sister?
Hope all is well with her, too!
:bighug:

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
. . . <snip for brevity> . . . It was difficult but I confronted my parents about much of what I had read about Xenu, Lisa McPherson and Hubbard's fraudulent past. They gave me the standard response about how you can't trust the media and critics. By the end of that conversation I was distraught and in tears. I couldn't believe that my parents weren't willing to look, or even consider another side to the CoS - the truth is they didn't want to look. I was left feeling like the text-book PTS person who was trying to enturbulate others by spreading black PR . . . <snip> . . .

That's exactly how Scientology tech works and precisely what L Ron Hubbard had in mind when he designed it.

Well done you on making it through so well. Kia Ora, welcome, pull up a chair, what'll you have to drink?

secretiveoldfag

It really is too bad that the CoS attracts people who have such strong desire to help others, and then it takes everything they have and ruins them! The twisted irony of it all is really sickening.

But then these good people one by one find their way to the Web and to ESMB and begin to think for themselves, and bingo! another critic has burst out of the chrysalis.

So all the propaganda and brain-washing and Hubbard's wonderful tech doesn't really work very well any more. :happydance:

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
WOW

I first stumbled on this site and others including operation clambake in about 2003, and they really made my head spin! I was about 22 and though I had not been involved in Scientology since about the age of 16, my parents who are FSMs were fairly entrenched in Scientology. It was difficult but I confronted my parents about much of what I had read about Xenu, Lisa McPherson and Hubbard's fraudulent past. They gave me the standard response about how you can't trust the media and critics. By the end of that conversation I was distraught and in tears. I couldn't believe that my parents weren't willing to look, or even consider another side to the CoS - the truth is they didn't want to look. I was left feeling like the text-book PTS person who was trying to enturbulate others by spreading black PR. Though, I never really spoke with my parents about it again, I believed much of what I had read and this set me on a path to truly knowing the CoS.

My parents were both Sea Org members in the AO in Sydney. I'm not sure how long they were in, but they routed out in the early 1990's to have my youngest sister. We moved from Sydney to Brisbane where my parents became field staff members, working normal jobs outside the church and doing courses at the Brisbane Org when time and money allowed. My sisters and I went to public school and thus began an entirely new type of world experience for us.

I don't remember much about my life as a child in the Sea Org. I know I didn't see my parents much and spent a lot of time just hanging out with the other SO members children. We lived in an old apartment building in Rushcutters Bay for a while (if I remember corretly) and then a big communal house on St. Johns Road in Glebe. I was one of the first children to attend the Athena School, in Helen Pickets house (I think).

Life was not bad. But I always wondered about 'WOGs' and the 'outside' world. About this strange organization and the strange rules that I MUST follow. How a man called LRH was able to develop all this wonderful tech for us to use...

Growing up in that environment was good in some ways...it really taught me to have high moral expectations of people, life and myself. It pushed me to think in terms I might not otherwise had considered at such a young age, like the mind, spirit and general existentialism. But soon I started to realise how hypocritical it all was. The realizations that came from my own life experience led me to believe that Scientology was a suffocating, biggoted, fascist, money hungry, brainwashing, dangerous cult. Despite its claims otherwise. Things like ....the huge amount of money one must spend to 'be free', the homophobic views, that LRH is ALWAYS RIGHT, the constant harassment to be recruited, - these things amongst others made me realize I could never reconcile my views with Scientology.

I don't have any awful stories to tell. I was lucky that my parents got out of the Sea Org when they did, and that they didn't force me or my sisters to continue to Scientology study. I think over time they understood that I would never be part of the CoS. They remain FSMs in Oz, I don't know their training levels or how much money they have given to the CoS...though we are close, we rarely talk about the CoS. One day I hope they will leave and then we can talk openly about our lives.

It really is too bad that the CoS attracts people who have such strong desire to help others, and then it takes everything they have and ruins them! The twisted irony of it all is really sickening. I am so glad to be a WOG! This 'WOG' world has its share of problems; the war, violence, insanity, poverty, oppression and suffering. Scientology isn't the answer - it's just another problem. I think some genuine compassion and integrity from each and everyone of us would take us most of the way. Let's celebrate diversity, humanity, creativity and love!

Anyway, this is only a little of my journey. I'm really here to thank everyone that's working so hard to bring justice to those who were hurt and to expose the ongoing abuses. I also want to thank the many people who have shared their heartfelt stories about the CoS. You all rock! Where the fuck is Amnesty International when you need them!?! It needs to be taken to the UNCHR!

So, I'm following what's happening around the globe, especially in Australia with great interest. I hope my parents are too.

I'll do what I can to help people free themselves of this cult and anything like it.

Thank you!!

ashajade
Kiwi in Taiwan

ps. I know a one or two people here but haven't spoken in a long time...so Hi : )

Wow, ashajade - this is a great opening ! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing that. You said it very well.

Welcome :welcome: :wave:

And keep sharing. :yes:

Kutta

Grew up in Oz but "Kiwi in Taiwan" sig. Now there's a conundrum.

Welcome ashajade! You were a smart kid. Hope your parents see the light soon.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Hi, ashajade!:welcome:

That was a well written and thoughtful first post! :goodjob:

I am so glad you are not having to go through the disconnection thing like so many other's have but I know what it's like to not be able to talk about Scientology's dark side or be listened to :hug: At least you have a bond with them, uninterrupted by the church :)

It was enlightening to read about your experiences as a child and in the Wog world. You are a smart person and I am so glad you found a way to differentiate between the scn mindset and the wog world. For many, that is a hard thing to navigate once out but freedoms of thought and speech have a way of opening the doors to the bigger life outside that box.

Do post more when you can and keep us updated on any family developments

Thanks and best wishes,
Mary

... I'll do what I can to help people free themselves of this cult and anything like it.

Thank you!!

ashajade
Kiwi in Taiwan

Welcome, A. :clap:

Do you know any of the people involved with Helen Chen's Academy in Taiwan? She & her husband Helmut Flasch have an independent organization in Taiwan as well as the united states. They may be able to assist you in addressing your parents concerns about the church as they have a lot of experience as former FSM's of the church. They can be reached via the following website.

Helmut's Website: http://scientologyprinciples.com/

Mark

Ashajade,

Quite some time ago on WhyWeProtest (The old site. The new site is poor IMO) there was a thread about Anons in contact with AmnestyInt.
Last I heard, they were looking into things.