What's new

anecdotal stories of Scientologists helping members of the public

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
When I read through the submission Hodkin made to Sunderland council he was asked for proof that Scientology had been helping the local community and he produced some anecdotal evidence of this that could not be traced back to individuals. I have the feeling this was culled from another source so I am wondering if people here are aware of a source for these stories.

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
Jeez, Roland, thanks for the link.

Are you referring to this? http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ttach/2/Examples of its work and purposes.pdf

The PDF is upside down so your PDF-reading software needs to be able to flip it, or you need to stand on your head, or something. Adobe Reader can flip it via the View menu.

Paul

Thanks for that. What I was wondering was whether there was a source of anecdotal "help" stories that the scits draw from when asked if they were doing any public good and do a cut and paste job with it and just change a few details.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Thanks for that. What I was wondering was whether there was a source of anecdotal "help" stories that the scits draw from when asked if they were doing any public good and do a cut and paste job with it and just change a few details.

Dunno. But the stories are so generic that they could easily be false, like (actual quotes):

A man came to the tent who was not achieving his goals in life. A Volunteer Minister educated him on practical steps that address this area. The man could again see how to achieve his goals and realised that what he loves to do is to help people.​
and
One man who came to the tent said he now knows that help is possible.​
This kind of thing is unverifiable. It's not like they are submitting notarised affidavits with full contact details so you can independently ask them about what they said.

But the press cuttings look legit, even if the copy is from a press release (dunno if it is or not).

Paul

shadow

Patron with Honors
Hey Paul,
These both look like recruiting attempts as perceived by a delusional guy that has been hanging out in a yellow tent too long.
A man came to the tent who was not achieving his goals in life. A Volunteer Minister educated him on practical steps that address this area. The man could again see how to achieve his goals and realised that what he loves to do is to help people.​
This one says to me..."A worthy goal in life is helping people. We (scn) help people. Aren't you glad I helped you realize that you want to help people, AND if you join us you can achieve this goal, and help people."
and
One man who came to the tent said he now knows that help is possible.​
...Paul
and this one is more..."Now that I have have shown you that help is possible, you should join us because we are the only ones who can really help."

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
can people find as many anecdotal stories of Scientologists halping drunk people to see if they come from a common source like amagazine that is not published any more.

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
When I read through the submission Hodkin made to Sunderland council he was asked for proof that Scientology had been helping the local community and he produced some anecdotal evidence of this that could not be traced back to individuals. I have the feeling this was culled from another source so I am wondering if people here are aware of a source for these stories.

The Cof$ helps the community by relieving people of their burdensome time, money, real estate, coin collections, etc.

Pete

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Here's one:

" A man came up to me and asked me if I had $5.00 and I said I did. He asked me if he could have it to buy some food. He said he had not eaten for two days. I gave him the "Way to Happiness" book and told him if I gave him the $5.00, he would be out of exchange and that would not help him. He started to cry. I asked him to open the book and start reading it. He said he could not read. I told him he could join staff at the Local Morgue and learn how to read. I told him he could get paid for helping people. He looked at me and smiled and asked me if they would hire him. I told him that they would. He jumped up and down and hugged me telling me that he wants to learn how to read and if he could work, get paid and learn how to read, that would be his dream come true. He was so grateful for the TECH and for LRH".

HIP HIP HOORAY! Now that is applying the TECH 100% standardly! :happydance: