What's new

Anons with E-meter get unexpected result.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I don't see any value in admitting that some of scientology works or is ok... Why?

Well, Hubbard stole from a lot of places. Let's say he stole a bunch of stuff from Korzybski. You would have a hard job defending the premise that everything Korzybski said was bullshit. So when Hubbard repeated what Korzybski said, why would it have magically transmuted into bullshit?

A person who insists that *everything* in Scientology is bullshit is merely highlighting his own stupidity and inability to differentiate.

Paul

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
Well, I might agree that Korzybsky is making sense.. And still consider the exact same stuff idiotic when presented with Hubbards byline and in his context

I might be 'highlighting my own stupidity and inability to differentiate'.. I don't care.

Plagiarism is a form of theft anyway.. I think plagiarists are stupid and mentally deranged. They are merely higlighting their inability to determine ownership.

:yes:

AnonKat

Crusader
Well, I might agree that Korzybsky is making sense.. And still consider the exact same stuff idiotic when presented with Hubbards byline and in his context

I might be 'highlighting his own stupidity and inability to differentiate'.. I don't care.

Plagiarism is a form of theft anyway.. I think plagiarists are stupid and mentally deranged.

:yes:

Well Psychiatrists seem to think the Galvanistic Skin Response Meter works and an E-Meter is one.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Just saying the apparatus the E-meter isn't bogus, Just a bit old in its parts.

The 'e-meter' is not just the parts or the case; it's the entire *system*, including the interpretation of 'reads' and the 'theory' behind it.

The parts are real parts. The actual physical reactions are probably real (depending on how 'real' the e-meter is as a GSR device), but, the *theory* behind the e-meter is bull. The interpretations are pure entrail.

Zinj

AnonKat

Crusader
The 'e-meter' is not just the parts or the case; it's the entire *system*, including the interpretation of 'reads' and the 'theory' behind it.

The parts are real parts. The actual physical reactions are probably real (depending on how 'real' the e-meter is as a GSR device), but, the *theory* behind the e-meter is bull. The interpretations are pure entrail.

Zinj

emotion/thought ---> response

The E-Meter IS a Galvanistic Skin Response Meter. Just as Volney Mathison constructed it.

It goes back to Jung and Tacharoff and even Freud if you try hard enough ;)

http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Definitions/galvanic-skin-response.htm

His researches with lie-detectors in the 1940's made it possible for Mathison to invent the modern type of portable transistorized GSR meter, a type that has survived with very little change, until the present day. Mathison went on to develop a word-list to be used in conjunction with the GSR meter. He would ask the subject under analysis, to take hold of the meter-electrodes, then he would read this list of words to him. Without fail, some of these words would trigger a response on the meter, and in some cases violently. Whenever this was the case, Mathison knew that these words were associated with violent and negative fear or resentment that had its origin in unconscious (reactive) complexes in the subject's mind. Most of the time, the subjects were completely unaware that they were reacting on the meter in this way.

AnonKat

Crusader
YOu seem to have comprehended at least some of what I posted, while missing the whole point.

Congratulations, I guess :)

Zinj

Yes Whole System bad, Got it.

But you have the special ability to doubt things that are a fact.

The E-Meter is a Galvanistic Skin Response Meter

Ted

Gold Meritorious Patron
OK, I spent 15 years on solo and my wife attested.

What do you want to know?

Warning; I think I had an MU on "cause over life".

"Cause over life," looks like a megalomaniac's ideal scene to me.

I like, "Joyfully involved in life."

AnonKat

Crusader
Homo Ludens

"Cause over life," looks like a megalomaniac's ideal scene to me.

I like, "Joyfully involved in life."

YOU ARE RIGHT HOMO NOVIS is the perfect PSYCHOPATH

Be HOMO LUDENS instead

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_Ludens_(book)

Homo Ludens or "Man the Player" (alternatively, "Playing Man") is a book written in 1938 by Dutch historian, cultural theorist and professor Johan Huizinga. It discusses the importance of the play element of culture and society. Huizinga uses the term "Play Theory" within the book to define the conceptual space in which play occurs. Huizinga suggests that play is primary to and a necessary (though not sufficient) condition of the generation of culture.

AnonKat

Crusader
YES

Thank you. This point is very Important.

What happens here is that the amount of Skin it touches makes it measure more or less.

The device has this FLAW

Ideally the part of the palm(of the hand) touching the cans should be the same.

More skin on gives you: BETTER CONDUCTION

It IS a big FLAW. But it is still a Galvanistic Skin Response Meter.

http://books.google.nl/books?id=u-o...&resnum=8&ved=0CFYQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
GSR is practically irrelevant to the 'e-meter as a device' and used by the 'Church' of Scientology. It might as well be a Magic 8 Ball.

Or a Mood Ring.

Zinj

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
I still find it more of interest to look at the "product" produced with an e meter ,a clear then an ....so, OT.

Where are they?

To me, that would be a " serious discussion " with, what was it, " hard evidence " .

If the meter works as the Almighty Hubbard sez it works then we got to have clears and OTs...right?

The e-meter is used in dianetics and scientology to *prove* that what the theory says should happen or could happen is actually happening. It is used as constant ongoing *proof*.

Assuming the e-meter works and can indicate a physical response....

Does that mean all those "past lives incidents" that were proved to exist by using the emeter, really happened?

Does that mean all those BTs people "audit" really exist?

Does that mean the people who were "proven" to be "clear" really are "clear".

I could extend the list much further, but can't be bothered.

It does not matter what the emeter *can* do. It only matters what is claimed as the outcome of the processes for which it is used, since the general subject is a cult which lies, decieves, brainwashes, and destroys people, using the emeter to do so.

And I agree with Schimm. Let the cult do their own pinch tests and PR.

AnonKat

Crusader
GSR is practically irrelevant to the 'e-meter as a device' and used by the 'Church' of Scientology. It might as well be a Magic 8 Ball.

Or a Mood Ring.

Zinj

Than it is important to make it relevant again because it touches on this kind of research wich is very exiting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C-oRO6Bxz4

http://www.dalailama.com/news/post/104-how-thinking-can-change-the-brain

How Thinking Can Change the Brain
January 29th 2007

20 Jan 2007 (Sharon Begley, Wall Street Journal) Dalai Lama helps scientists show the power of the mind to sculpt our gray matter.

Although science and religion are often in conflict, the Dalai Lama takes a different approach. Every year or so the head of Tibetan Buddhism invites a group of scientists to his home in Dharamsala, in Northern India, to discuss their work and how Buddhism might contribute to it.

In 2004 the subject was neuroplasticity, the ability of the brain to change its structure and function in response to experience. The following are vignettes adapted from 'Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain,' which describes this emerging area of science:

The Dalai Lama, who had watched a brain operation during a visit to an American medical school over a decade earlier, asked the surgeons a startling question: Can the mind shape brain matter?

Over the years, he said, neuroscientists had explained to him that mental experiences reflect chemical and electrical changes in the brain. When electrical impulses zip through our visual cortex, for instance, we see; when neurochemicals course through the limbic system we feel.

But something had always bothered him about this explanation, the Dalai Lama said. Could it work the other way around? That is, in addition to the brain giving rise to thoughts and hopes and beliefs and emotions that add up to this thing we call the mind, maybe the mind also acts back on the brain to cause physical changes in the very matter that created it. If so, then pure thought would change the brain's activity, its circuits or even its structure.

AnonKat

Crusader
Yes

Yes the Bullshit is in the Promisse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVZlCDp-o5c

Still Psychiatry and Psychology are slowly embracing the Galvanistic Response Meter.

I still find it more of interest to look at the "product" produced with an e meter ,a clear then an ....so, OT.

Where are they?

To me, that would be a " serious discussion " with, what was it, " hard evidence " .

If the meter works as the Almighty Hubbard sez it works then we got to have clears and OTs...right?

The e-meter is used in dianetics and scientology to *prove* that what the theory says should happen or could happen is actually happening. It is used as constant ongoing *proof*.

Assuming the e-meter works and can indicate a physical response....

Does that mean all those "past lives incidents" that were proved to exist by using the emeter, really happened?

Does that mean all those BTs people "audit" really exist?

Does that mean the people who were "proven" to be "clear" really are "clear".

I could extend the list much further, but can't be bothered.

It does not matter what the emeter *can* do. It only matters what is claimed as the outcome of the processes for which it is used, since the general subject is a cult which lies, decieves, brainwashes, and destroys people, using the emeter to do so.

And I agree with Schimm. Let the cult do their own pinch tests and PR.