What's new

Anthony Bourdain of CNN "Parts Unknown"

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron
Anthony Bourdain was the host of CNN's "Parts Unknown"which was really a great program introducing the culture and food of different countries and cultures.
He was a New York Chef who wrote the best seller "Kitchen Confidential" and even has his own publishing company.
In 2014, 2015, 2016 He won the EMMY for best TV show and was the fierce competitor to Leah Remini ~~ many predicted he would win again, but Leah and Mike bested him.
Today world wide media reported he hung himself in suicide in Northern France, dead at 61, while on location shooting a new episode. He leaves behind an 11 year old.
What on earth can occur in the mind to permit someone suiciding like this? IN the middle of filming an Emmy award winning series and being on top of his game financially, celebrity wise and in popularity.
Vaya Con Dios Anthony Bourdain. Fly high.

Anthony.Bourdain.jpg

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
This bums me out. I liked his shows a lot.

I don't know what was going on in his head... but I suspect the craziness out there may have factored in. If you look at the world and have any type of sensitivity at all, what you see is going to bother you. (Anthony in his travels saw more than most people) How you deal with it is the key.

R.I.P.

whistleblower

Over the past 2 decades suicide rates have climbed dramatically.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...c-u-s-suicide-rates-have-climbed-dramatically

I try to remember this: Everyone you know is fighting a battle you know nothing about.
Be kind. Always.
Yes, Churchill. It's so tragic. Just the number of Scientologists who commit suicide on Hubbard's birthday is absolutely heartbreaking. From the outside, it looked like Anthony Bourdain had everything to live for. But suicide and mental illness prey on people from all walks of life and leave so much wreckage behind. I hope his loved ones find peace.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
Yes, Churchill. It's so tragic. Just the number of Scientologists who commit suicide on Hubbard's birthday is absolutely heartbreaking. From the outside, it looked like Anthony Bourdain had everything to live for. But suicide and mental illness prey on people from all walks of life and leave so much wreckage behind. I hope his loved ones find peace.

Re bolded line (above) ... I've never heard anything about this ... and I don't believe it's true.

Do you have more information please?

whistleblower

Re bolded line (above) ... I've never heard anything about this ... and I don't believe it's true.

Do you have more information please?
Hi, I Told You I Was Trouble. There was an episode of Leah Remini's show that told the story of Elizabeth Gale's family. Her brother, Philip, committed suicide on Hubbard's birthday. His name is the only one I know, but Tory Christman has said in interviews that she knows many people who were Scientologists or former Scientologists who killed themselves on Hubbard's birthday. Here's a link to more information about Scientology and suicides. http://whyweprotest.wikia.com/wiki/Scientology_Suicides

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
The only case I know of is the one Liz Gale recounted to Leah Remini of her brother, Philip, an MIT progidy who took his own life on Hubbard’s birthday.
Tory Christman has said that she personally knew of at least a dozen Scientologists who committed suicide.
It’s possible that Whistleblower conflated these two things.
I’d expect an unbiased study would discover that Scientology suicides occur at a far higher rate than in the overall population. Unfortunately, OSA continues to cover up Scientology’s involvement in suicides because of the “bad PR” they cause, as in the recent case of Catriona White.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
Hi, I Told You I Was Trouble. There was an episode of Leah Remini's show that told the story of Elizabeth Gale's family. Her brother, Philip, committed suicide on Hubbard's birthday. His name is the only one I know, but Tory Christman has said in interviews that she knows many people who were Scientologists or former Scientologists who killed themselves on Hubbard's birthday. Here's a link to more information about Scientology and suicides. http://whyweprotest.wikia.com/wiki/Scientology_Suicides

Oh! I had no idea so many scientologists had committed suicide ... but it was the idea that people were committing suicide on hubbards birthday that I was really querying.

whistleblower

The only case I know of is the one Liz Gale recounted to Leah Remini of her brother, Philip, an MIT progidy who took his own life on Hubbard’s birthday.
Tory Christman has said that she personally knew of at least a dozen Scientologists who committed suicide.
It’s possible that Whistleblower conflated these two things.
I’d expect an unbiased study would discover that Scientology suicides occur at a far higher rate than in the overall population. Unfortunately, OSA continues to cover up Scientology’s involvement in suicides because of the “bad PR” they cause, as in the recent case of Catriona White.
Churchill, after doing a little more research on this, you're right. I thought Tory had talked about many other suicides on Hubbard's birthday, but I was mistaken. I sincerely apologize for any confusion and I will be more careful in the future.

Jim Dandy

Patron with Honors
It's looking more and more to me that he did not commit suicide. He was "Woke" and was showing a growing tendency to speak out by using his show's upcoming season as a platform. He had known Elon Musk for quite a few years but had recently became close friends with him. Musk educated him on the dangers of, and the powers that be's desire for, an increasing Artificial Intelligence world. Musk has been warning the world about this for several years. They had very recently been together in Morocco.

Bourdain's closest friends have related that he was happier than he's ever been. Recently married and had a great relationship with his young daughter.

Look for more information regarding this so-called suicide, most likely a murder, in the coming days....weeks....months.

Oh, do I have docs to share? No. Not now anyway.

Jim Dandy

Patron with Honors
Just a few items regarding Anthony Bourdain that is relevant to my post above. Earlier I said he had a new wife, actually he had a new girlfriend.

I of course cannot say that I believe he was killed beyond a shadow of a doubt. Right now it just smells very fishy. A strong gut feeling. I will post more later, but only if I verify that the information is credible enough.

These articles are credible, but are certainly not "proof" that his suicide is not real. The first:

http://www.businessinsider.com/anth...a-shows-him-completing-cinematic-dream-2018-6

He was not afraid to speak truth to power and if true he was getting ready to speak a lot more truth to power in the coming year. I did just read that his Mom has said that he had been in a dark mood over the past several days. But again, if what I've heard is true what he'd been finding out was very dark stuff. If also true then he had an interview with Elon Musk in the can for an episode to be aired later. Elon is another one who has never been afraid to speak out and has ruffled some big time feathers.

Anyway, Bourdain calling out Hillary Clinton:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hameful/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.aaf0fc0f92e4

Jim Dandy

Patron with Honors
I just watched this and was so impressed with it that I wanted to share it. Ben Shapiro does believe this was a suicide. I wanted to state this up front. He takes this occasion to dispel a lot of myths about suicide in general as well as touching on the phenomenon of copycat suicides. Very balanced and informational presentation about depression as well IMO:

**For those who don't know him, Ben Shapiro is a conservative editorialist. But that doesn't mean he is a Trump fan, because he is not.

Oh, btw, Ben speaks very, very fast. I mean.....FAST! Lol... You can always slow the playback speed down. At the .75 rate he sounds more normal.

Last edited:

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I got 10 minutes through it, but then I had to stop.

He sounds like a chipmunk and has no idea about depression, or how one feels when contemplating suicide.

For Anthony Bourdain to have purposely left his child, he must have really thought the child would be better off without him. That's what depression does. It lies to you and it's good at it.

Last edited:

Jim Dandy

Patron with Honors
I got 10 minutes through it, but then I had to stop.

He sounds like a chipmunk and has no idea about depression, or how one feels when contemplating suicide.

For Anthony Bourdain to have purposely left his son, he must have really thought he (the son) would be better off without him. That's what depression does. It lies to you and it's good at it.

Yes he sounds like a chipmunk. That's why I slowed it down and recommended others to slow it down. If you had gotten past ten minutes you would have heard him acknowledge the clinical depression aspect of suicide that needs real qualified treatment. Including medication if necessary.

Overall he was addressing a gradual societal acceptance of suicide as being in itself a valid "moral choice". His concern is that this could lead to more suicides and in fact in the US records are being set this decade.

He has obviously never suffered from depression so no he doesn't understand it the way you or I do, but he mentioned living with people who had clinical depression and he seems to understand how serious it is.

Last edited:

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
. . .
I don't know the man and have never watched him, but for me the elephant
in the room
is the fact that he had a rather extensive heroin and crack cocaine
addiction earlier in his life and for quite a bit of time. From my experience in
auditing hard core drug users long ago and more recently seeing drug addicts
sitting on sidewalks during a visit to a big city in CA, my hunch is that these
drugs can do horrific and irreparable lifetime damage to the brain. Hard
to say if that's the case with him, but it's the first thing I thought of.

I've known some people who've done lot's of trips of LSD and it permanently
changed them. Very disassociated with reality in some respects. Sad to see.
A well known person who this happened to was Syn Barrett of Pink Floyd.
He was a very extreme, permanently damaged case.

To be clear, I'm not making a judgment about Anthony Bourdain, just saying
he had a VERY rough go way back when and for a long time . . . so he'd said.

I'd be curious if he was taking any doctor prescribed drugs currently to help
his depression or whatever. Many mental drugs have an admitted side effect
of "suicidal thoughts."
Certainly, I'm no expert. :shrug:

Last edited:

Jim Dandy

Patron with Honors
It's looking more and more to me that he did not commit suicide. He was "Woke" and was showing a growing tendency to speak out by using his show's upcoming season as a platform. He had known Elon Musk for quite a few years but had recently became close friends with him. Musk educated him on the dangers of, and the powers that be's desire for, an increasing Artificial Intelligence world. Musk has been warning the world about this for several years. They had very recently been together in Morocco.

Bourdain's closest friends have related that he was happier than he's ever been. Recently married and had a great relationship with his young daughter.

Look for more information regarding this so-called suicide, most likely a murder, in the coming days....weeks....months.

Oh, do I have docs to share? No. Not now anyway.

Replying to my earlier post to say that the information that led me to have doubts that this was a real suicide did not pan out. In other words it wasn't credible. I was going to wait until tomorrow to be sure, but it's just so obviously bogus that I don't need any more confirmation.