What's new

Any Reunions???

uncle sam

Silver Meritorious Patron
To-byte301

Well, I live in NM so we're neighbors but I can't go to Texas or NM would declare me and put me in the VPF! (Vatos Rehabilitation Force):grouch:

Perchance you in live in Taos-one of my favorite places on this planet, the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay runs a very close 2nd. New Mexico would be a great place for the exes to gather. Rent a reservation and play cowboys and indians with real live indians.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
London drivers are the most aggressive, more so than the Italians, whilst the French are the most expressive. The rudest are the NY drivers.The craziest are in Istanbul where every traffic light is just like the start of a Grand Prix race.

I drove through Istanbul in a van in 1970. It was the first time I had seen people just flat out ignoring traffic lights. I was shocked.

Paul

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
I drove through Istanbul in a van in 1970. It was the first time I had seen people just flat out ignoring traffic lights. I was shocked.

Paul

Obviously, you've never been to Cairo.

There are very few attempts at regulatory lines or other devices on their streets. Lights, signs; all these things are futile.

All you have to do there to do a complete 180 in two chaotic swarms of traffic is to put your hand out the driver's side window and wave it downward as if you are dribbling a basketball, and kind of pointing at the ground with two fingers.

For some reason, this is the universal sign for "I'm now going to do whatever the fuck I want."

Few people noticed anyone else making the sign, but, as the driver, it made you feel like there was at least some system to the driving there.

There wasn't.

Terril park

Sponsor
I found LA to have, overall, the best and most courteous drivers anywhere I've ever lived.

I think there is something about 7 lanes of traffic whipping around curves at 80mph that makes you sit up and stay focused on what you are doing when you are behind the wheel. You are reminded of potential danger all the time because your environment LOOKS dangerous, and so you get real good and stay real good.

I like that.

Fortunately I survived without getting real good there. That one can exit a freeway on the left is totally new to us brits. Then trying to follow a sat nav
that tells us to exit left or right, NOW, when we are in the wrong lane
may have scared others more than us. :) The speed and volume of the traffic
is amazing in LA freeways.

The most scary place though was driving up a montain from the I 70 I think it was to Central City in Colorado. One is on a dirt road with many thousand
feet sheer drop on one side and no room to pass another car if it came the other way. Impossible to reverse in the big Yank tank Lincoln continental
and I didn't know if the road would just end and I'd have to reverse many miles back. :) The sat nav was not good on dirt roads and often said " do a U-turn where possible." This was immensely comforting. NOT!

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Fortunately I survived without getting real good there. That one can exit a freeway on the left is totally new to us brits. Then trying to follow a sat nav
that tells us to exit left or right, NOW, when we are in the wrong lane
may have scared others more than us. :) The speed and volume of the traffic
is amazing in LA freeways.

The most scary place though was driving up a montain from the I 70 I think it was to Central City in Colorado. One is on a dirt road with many thousand
feet sheer drop on one side and no room to pass another car if it came the other way. Impossible to reverse in the big Yank tank Lincoln continental
and I didn't know if the road would just end and I'd have to reverse many miles back. :) The sat nav was not good on dirt roads and often said " do a U-turn where possible." This was immensely comforting. NOT!
I know exactly what you are talking about! Driving in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado is the scariest driving I've ever done!

Even on winding, four lane highways, the semis have those emergency braking exits that, if their brakes go out, they drive onto those soft ramps instead of flying off the cliff, or pushing you off of one.

Yep. Colorado is some of the scariest driving. Wait till you do it in ice and snow!

Terril park

Sponsor
London drivers are the most aggressive, more so than the Italians, whilst the French are the most expressive. The rudest are the NY drivers.The craziest are in Istanbul where every traffic light is just like the start of a Grand Prix race.

I found the taxi drivers in Istanbul excellent. They had antenna sticking out sideways from usually 50s US cars, and honked sall the time to let people know where they were rather than agression.

Tehran was really weird. And us. We arrived in a little van with hippy flowers on the side and rainbows, and the bonnet was a union jack. Somehow we became part of a military parade with tanks an' all driving down the main highway. God knows what people thought, and we weren't arrested.
Driving there was a challenge. People ignored etiquette and traffic lights and common sense. Eventually and very quickly, we discovered we had to drive the same way to survive. Not a problem. We were young brits who were happy to not bother with polite road manners. :)

In Tehran some drivers had a game of trying to see how many pedestrians they could get to drop shopping bags!

In the second holiest city of Islam, Mashad if I recall we weren't even allowed in. Shit, I wan't even a freezoner back then. :)

Terril park

Sponsor
I know exactly what you are talking about! Driving in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado is the scariest driving I've ever done!

Even on winding, four lane highways, the semis have those emergency braking exits that, if their brakes go out, they drive onto those soft ramps instead of flying off the cliff, or pushing you off of one.

Yep. Colorado is some of the scariest driving. Wait till you do it in ice and snow!

Lol! I hit the highest pass over the rockies a week before it opened. In the National park, above the tree line at 11,500 ft. Couldn't go further. Closed.
That was a civilised highway, and somewhat scary. In the big Yank Tank
(Photo to follow. ) On the road to Central City with snow I'd have got out and walked. :)

But up in the Rockies was incredibly beautiful.

The road to central city had a sign saying something like don't progress without snow chains or something, quoting dates. Well I passed in May.
Probably a mere 5000 ft drop, and no snow. Atheletes like to train here as the whole area is a mile high.

PS. Not being specific as to the athetic training being performed. :)

byte301

Crusader
Perchance you in live in Taos-one of my favorite places on this planet, the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay runs a very close 2nd. New Mexico would be a great place for the exes to gather. Rent a reservation and play cowboys and indians with real live indians.

HaHa! Yeah, that would be fun, wouldn't it? Actually I don't live in Taos, but I did live in Santa Fe for a while. I like Taos much better though. Me and the hubby go camping up by Taos all the time. Actually we go to the Sipapu Ski Lodge area. They have great camping areas and it is beautiful. My husband loves to fly fish and they have 2 really great streams with some quality waters there.

Funny that you mentioned Chesapeake Bay. My sister-in-law lived there and my husband did a diving job there once. His company layed a cable from the shore to the lighthouse. He said it was just beautiful there. He was there several times but I never could go.:no:

I love just about any where in Colorado too. Estes Park, Ouray, any where there's a mountain.:)

free1996

Patron with Honors
Lived all over

I have lived all over the United States. I first moved to a German town in Texas that had very kind people that always waved when passing you in their car or on the road. It reminds me of that commercial where the family is smiling and waving to everyone and the people are a little spooked out. I thought in the begining they were strange. Then I moved to San Antonio, and the traffic was a little busier than maybe Austin, but the people were still friendly. Then I moved close to a border town and lost my mind as we have people from Mexico that come over to shop in our stores and their rules and laws are very different from ours. I about hit one everyday...insurance down here is out the roof. Then we have all the Spring breakers that come to South Padre Island all young and drunk.
So as you can see it become a ZOO.
I'll never forget this man's face when I gave him the finger for cutting me off (this was normal in Los Angeles) I think he needed depends after that.

Neo

Silver Meritorious Patron
Nothing better than crashing a BT party. They have a fit but can't do anything about it!. Plus the hors doeuvre's are great and there's no competition for chicks.

It's even better if you go dressed as Xenu. Perhaps hang around near the fireplace.

:p