What's new

Anybody remember the Byrnes Ethics Mission in PAC?

FinallyFree

Gold Meritorious Patron
James Byrnes (I think he was WDS something before or after this) (He was married to Enid, who was a reg at AO) came down to PAC in the early 90s for an Ethics Mission.

I wasn't even S.O. but I remember him. I felt so bad for the S.O. members in PAC. That guy was such a bastard to you all.

G

Gottabrain

Enid was numb. She had tried many times to end her marriage with James . She couldn't walk away from her desk for a day without someone noticing the G.I. had halted. She had one option in life to survivie there, and that was to sit at that desk searching for dollars day after day after day after day. She was most unhappy. Her daughter had no personal attention. She knew she was allowed to be there because she was bringing in money, she was "disqualified" to be at Int so right off the bat the was only place to go from her reg desk, down.

She came to this country from another country and the only resources she had was the Church, according to own mind. She did not want to bring humiliation on her child or her husband. She was entirely unselfish. "Duty motivatied."

She even managed to leave her body there.

Her final donation to the Church.

And in the end her peers regarded her as a ser facy liability.

And that is quite the sadism of the day.

Right out of Victor Hugo's Les Miserables.

T.O.

Wow. Poor Enid. That makes me so sad. And so sad that James changed so much since I knew him in the late 70's & early 80's. Back then, they were still very much in love.

Beautiful post, Oracle. Thanks so much for that.

HappyGirl

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wow, this is a fascinating thread, and it made me very sad. I knew all those AOLA guys, but in better times. It is so sad what happened to them all. I had no idea. I PMed a bunch of you guys. :D

Sandie

Patron with Honors
gottabrain

I too am saddend to hear of Enids fate. I knew them both in the late 70's.
She was my reg and always very kind and helpful to me. I remember them both being in love too....Just is such a crime how the church changes good people
.:angry:

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
there was an internal power push from then CO FOLO Bruce Perry (anyone remember him? Good mate of mine, declared now) and DCOI CLO James Parselle - Linda's son,

I remember Bruce Perry, good guy, my wife didnt share the same opinion

she wanted to route out,Bruce Perry and Bart Van Loc, kept pushing her buttons about her bum, drove her right up the wall.

I reacll him giving a drill to the EPFers and the CMO COs wifes puppy came up and pissed on his leg right in front of us. Couldnt hold back the laughter.

Leon

Gold Meritorious Patron
James was from Cape Town originally. Enid from Joburg. Can't remember her maiden name right now. Back on the Apollo James was the action Aide - used to prepare and then fire the missions off on their trips. He looked a lot like Beethoven in those days. Then at Clearwater I think he was in charge of Estates at first. Then I lost track of him.

Leon

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hattenbach. That was her surname. She had a sister who was very active in Scio too in the early 70's.

FoTi

Crusader
James was from Cape Town originally. Enid from Joburg. Can't remember her maiden name right now. Back on the Apollo James was the action Aide - used to prepare and then fire the missions off on their trips. He looked a lot like Beethoven in those days. Then at Clearwater I think he was in charge of Estates at first. Then I lost track of him.

In the early 90's he was in charge of the flower gardens around AOLA. Do they still have flower gardens?

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
I knew Enid and James back in the early '70's.

Enid was a real pistol and we got along great.

James was a nasty little piece of work...a real struttin' peacock with a pronounced touch of evil.

Face:)

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
"I knew James and Enid from the 70s. They were both bright and cheery every day and I have fond memories of them. I don't like what the SO can do to people. "

Ain't that the truth ! When I knew him back in the '70's he was as a fun guy.
Sorry to hear of Enid passing away.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
I knew Enid and James back in the early '70's.

Enid was a real pistol and we got along great.

James was a nasty little piece of work...a real struttin' peacock with a pronounced touch of evil.

Interesting. I knew him from the viewpoint of me being public and I'm pretty certain you were staff. We were more of cig break kind of buddies.

And most of us gave up smoking long ago, eh?

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
Interesting. I knew him from the viewpoint of me being public and I'm pretty certain you were staff. We were more of cig break kind of buddies.

And most of us gave up smoking long ago, eh?

I don't doubt your words, AT.:coolwink:

I was Flag Crew. James had an epiphany of sorts in the mid ‘70’s. Sent out a bunch apology letters to folks he had been reel shitty to. Although I had walked away before the ‘90’s what I’ve read and what I’ve been told was that he reverted to his old ways. If you were James equal or superior or public he could be anything from very pleasant to downright most charming…if you were is inferior or junior he could be very cruel and heartless…that’s my take on it, any. I was very fond of Enid and vice versa.:yes:

Last edited:

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
I don't doubt your wors, AT.:coolwink:

I was Flag Crew. James had an epiphany of sorts in the mid ‘70’s. Sent out a bunch apology letters to folks he had been reel shitty to. Although I had walked away before the ‘90’s what I’ve read and what I’ve been told was that he reverted to his old ways. If you were James equal or superior or public he could be anything from very pleasant to downright most charming…if you were is inferior or junior he could be very cruel and heartless…that’s my take on it, any. I was very fond of Enid and vice versa.:yes:

Face

One of those things. Some people I have been buddy buddy with were a terror to most others ( like a CS I remember). And people I could never manage to get along with and vice versa.... seemed to do just fine with almost everybody else.

All that is part of what makes life so much fun.

But, yes, I tend to not be around people who every chance they get to insist on being as unpleasant as they can.

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
One of those things. Some people I have been buddy buddy with were a terror to most others ( like a CS I remember). And people I could never manage to get along with and vice versa.... seemed to do just fine with almost everybody else.

All that is part of what makes life so much fun.

But, yes, I tend to not be around people who every chance they get to insist on being as unpleasant as they can.

:thumbsup:

I got along with James just fine...I was never his inferior or junior, but I saw what he did to some other folks and it wasn't pretty.

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron
I asked her once (because I was always there to spend time with her, though she was always sleeping) "What are you thinking about?", she said "post". I asked her "Does that mean you think of me on your post time then?". She never responded to that, and she never really paid much attention to me or my brother, except when we did something out ethics that got her pulled off post, then she would be pissed with us.

That is the development of family and loving relationships within the Sea Org. And, because it is on other threads, I will mention it here: My father walked out of the church when I was a baby and got declared and was not in my life for 25 years.

Scientology and the Sea Org always have loving family relationships. Look at DM and his neice, right?

These people are working hard at making a sane planet, right? Ha. What a joke.

Bea---thanks for sharing this. What great sadness to hear a child living this way, and I spoke about it a LOT when I was "in", as I was around the SO kids, and parents, and believed then (and now) they needed more time with their kids.
Have you been able to share your new life with either, now that you, yourself, are out?I hope so. Gawd..as you say,
Scientology and the Sea Org always have loving family relationships. Look at DM and his neice, right?
ARGH!

Nothing--literally nothing---could be farther from the truth, except C of $'s "Bridge to Total Freedom". :eyeroll:

Love you and all :rose:

Tory/Magoo
PS: Knew JB, don't have anything to add, except I
*think* he used to grow roses outside the AO, right?
Was that him? I know one SO guy did--I thought they said it was James.