What's new

Anybody remember the Byrnes Ethics Mission in PAC?

johnAnchovie

Still raging
Captain James Byrne RA

I was in CMU when he did that PAC Mission, did not impact on me as CMU was Int level, and thus not under PAC juridstriction, I got to know him wll in the UK a couple of years later, as you said, he ran the same mission there.

He was slightly off balance, actually thought we were all on a ship, a space ship, but at the same time he could be very funny, he could also be manipulative, but if he liked you he would stand up for you.

He was a former mining engineer based in Northern Rhodesia, how he got hooked into the wierd world of Scientology, I will never know, then I can say the same for people like Charles Parselle and David Gaiman, these were pretty incredable people, why were they hooked on Hubbard?

James was posted as CO CLO UK in 1995, I came off the Finance Computerisation project in 1996, I was put over Dissem, and I had JB as my boss. He was alright, but a bit nutty, there was an internal power push from then CO FOLO Bruce Perry (anyone remember him? Good mate of mine, declared now) and DCOI CLO James Parselle - Linda's son, they essentially usurped Byrne. I met him a couple of years later in LA, he was gardening again, looked like he had been put out to grass.

Enid died about a year ago, I am sure James took this very hard, they were very much in love even after more than thirty years together.

Kind of sad, I doubt that he has anywhere else to go now, family is probably all dead or forgotton. He is in his 70's.

I still cannot help but like the guy, black hearted bastard that he is.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
I was in CMU when he did that PAC Mission, did not impact on me as CMU was Int level, and thus not under PAC juridstriction, I got to know him wll in the UK a couple of years later, as you said, he ran the same mission there.

He was slightly off balance, actually thought we were all on a ship, a space ship, but at the same time he could be very funny, he could also be manipulative, but if he liked you he would stand up for you.

He was a former mining engineer based in Northern Rhodesia, how he got hooked into the wierd world of Scientology, I will never know, then I can say the same for people like Charles Parselle and David Gaiman, these were pretty incredable people, why were they hooked on Hubbard?

James was posted as CO CLO UK in 1995, I came off the Finance Computerisation project in 1996, I was put over Dissem, and I had JB as my boss. He was alright, but a bit nutty, there was an internal power push from then CO FOLO Bruce Perry (anyone remember him? Good mate of mine, declared now) and DCOI CLO James Parselle - Linda's son, they essentially usurped Byrne. I met him a couple of years later in LA, he was gardening again, looked like he had been put out to grass.

Enid died about a year ago, I am sure James took this very hard, they were very much in love even after more than thirty years together.

Kind of sad, I doubt that he has anywhere else to go now, family is probably all dead or forgotton. He is in his 70's.

I still cannot help but like the guy, black hearted bastard that he is.

I knew Bruce Perry well. He was the HAS at AOLA at one time. His brother Kevin was in PAC also. He was a security guard. He routed out in the 90s.

From what I recall, their mom was on staff and they were from hawaii. I heard Bruce married a NOTs auditor in the UK who was a lot older than he was.

Didn't know Bruce was declared.

Tom of Helatrobus

Patron Meritorious
I remember the Byrne's ethics mission. Early 1991. I blew in the middle of it.

What I remember is muster on the roof of the parking garage. Inspections everyday which I routinely failed and was made to stand out in front of the group - in an attempt to shame me, I guess. Thing was, I was trying to grow a beard, and I kept telling Byrne that, but still he busted me for not shaving. Nothing happened to me though, ethics wise.

I remember him beaching two Sea Org members who were lovers before they got married. They were currently married though and when he annouced to an assembly in the mess hall that they were to beached, the woman stood up and began to protest. He shouted her down and dismissed her and her husband. A few days later, he annouced that they had been dismissed improperly and were given the option of staying, but given the choice, they decided to leave anyway.

I don't remember the "Black hearted bastards" part, but it sounds in character. He gave me a hard time about my nose hairs and joked that if I didn't take care of them, he would have them pulled out with pilers. It was understood as a joke. He was smiling when he said it.

I also remember him telling us, while at muster on the roof of the parking garage, that one day each one of us would be in charge of our own galaxy.

Strange days, Tom

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I remember the "black-hearted bastards" bit, but as I recall it was always said with a smile. A small one, but a smile, nevertheless.

Paul

lrnobs

Patron with Honors
BTW ... I don't know If I would blame him totally.

That valence he wore was a valence. He was trying to do things the way the LRH did it, or the way that LRH approved when he saw LRH (he was in the Sea Org at the beginning). Even the "Black Hearted" thing.

That's probably one of the reasons why I never got upset by him. I saw him outside of that valence, had comm cycles with him. His wife worked at AO and I worked at AO. So I had a chance to see the human side of him that most didn't.

I knew James and Enid from the 70s. They were both bright and cheery every day and I have fond memories of them. I don't like what the SO can do to people.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I knew James and Enid from the 70s. They were both bright and cheery every day and I have fond memories of them. I don't like what the SO can do to people.

But 23 years in the SO didn't do it to me. There has to be some agreement there for the rot to take hold.

Paul

Bruce Perry?? I knew him very well. He was married to Trisha, an old lady, noone understood why. He had a great sense of humour. At that time he was the Universe Corps I/C. Why was he declared?

johnAnchovie

Still raging
Bruce

Well, Bruce was CO CLO UK, a good friend of mine too, he essentially was trying to make conditions for the crew better, like getting them better paid and working with me to get money through for upgraded transport. Trouble was he ended up paying CLO crew fifty quid a week while CMO was on fifteen to twenty, they did not like that, very politically incorrect. he stepped on RTC, COB and CO CMO UK - Carig Wilson - toes. His divorce from Trisha - still on the RPF in Flag by the way - and rapid remarriage to Simmoetta Savoia also caused some friction, Trisha was Snr CS UK based in CMO.

Bruce was finally declared and routed out in about March 2005, I think he went to work with family in the Midwest. Good guy.

How come you know him?

J.

He recruited me in St Hill :coolwink: So I probably know you (?) I was there for 2-3 years, before he became the CO CLO UK. Yes, he was correct and we had some good laughs. He used to imitate some action movie stars and movie incidents. He had his office on the basement of the Castle. I think one of the reasons he became the CO CLO because he was a successful UC I/C.

Bone

Patron
Has anybody heard from Bruce lately? It would be neat if he ends up here. ;) I only met him a couple of times, but he always struck me as a good guy. I knew some of his family a bit more, but that really isn't saying much. I hope his sister is doing well also (Alaska last I heard, after routing out of the sea org).

Wirestripper

Patron with Honors
I remember James and Enid. I never really talked with James. But I always viewed Enid as sort of a surrogate grandmother while I was there becuase she kinda treated me like my Grandmother did.

I was pretty upset when I heard she died of cancer like a year after I left. I wonder if James is still up and around?

Wirestripper

Patron with Honors
Bossy, I imagine. :)

I knew Enid very well.

Yes, but since I was at the very top of the org board it was more of a "I've seen and done things you couldn't possibly imagine, you young turk!" sort of bossy.

It was cool because I could trust her never to mention that I was a lazy, overwhelmed, and arrogant ass. (which she knew) and I never got upset about the lack of "sir" :)

Steve Kemper was a cool guy too, so was Tim. Of course, I remember the Supercargo....Stephanie....ummm....something. I never got along with her

JetRyan

Patron
This all Happened at FLB too

Though it was some years after the PAC one, obviously. He showed up with Garret, I believe, as his right hand man. Many of the same things happened as described at PAC. At one point, to enforce musters, if anyone was late, the entire base had to muster earlier the next day, in 15 minute increments per day....

There were the drills, the "Close order drills" - yeah, about that: I could never rationalize this practice. I never signed up for the military... I spent many years in Scientology believing that my objective was to release people from what enslaved them, and yet here were the highest execs on the base implementing practices from the MILITARY ?? What happened to a "world without war..." How are military practices applicable here??

Well anyway, believe me I because quite adept at eluding the authorities....

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron
James Byrnes (I think he was WDS something before or after this) (He was married to Enid, who was a reg at AO) came down to PAC in the early 90s for an Ethics Mission.

The whole base was put in a state of emergency. A lot of lowers and a lot of drilling. Fire drills, etc, and a hell of a lot of marching on the parking structure roof. I think we had to muster every day on the roof for a couple weeks - the WHOLE base.

It WAS the first time when I was there that anybody tried to get in the policy of sending people home on time everyday regardless of stats, etc. Of course the day was extended to 11:20 PM for everyone. (It was supposed to be 10:45 before that I think - except Thursday nights which was staff meeting) And we had to muster at 8:30 AM on the roof, when it used to be 8:45 in your org. Meal times were cut to 25 minutes (12:05 to 12:30 and 6:05 to 6:30) (45 minutes before then). And this went back to 30 minutes for lunch and 45 for dinner after the evolution. I remember everyone having to RUSH to the mess hall, get their food, wolf it down and get to 12:30 muster or you were screwed.

Then of course soon the regges were allowed to stay late to get GI up, then execs, then schedules fell way out again.

Did we ever get back to 8:45 musters?? Or did it stay 8:30? It's been a long time

Ahhhhh those were the days ....

Those were the days? I seem to recall James ordering the staff on rooftops to do marching drills; "Left face, right face, 'bout face".

I seem to recall him ordering the CO ASHO in front of the group and ripping everything his sadistic hands could paw at off the CO's clothes and having him dragged away by security guards (false imprisonment).

I seem to recall him beaching a girl for out 2d with severe public humiliation. (wrongful dismissal)

I seem to remember him ordering Ivan the COAOLA to the Flag Command Bureau for sec checks after terrorizing Ivan's staff for days on end and Ivan blew (Ivan, why oh why didn't you take me with you? I would have gone anywhere with you).

I seem to recall James being a full blown unbridled sadism case reaping revenge on PAC for earlier slights againsts him as an auditor at ASHO.

I seem to recall that by the time James Byrnes left the life had been sucked out of PAC and I was making plans myself to leave.

I seem to recall DM and Ray Mithoff sneaking around in the Orgs at night after hours DM in all of those medals he awarded himself and Ray running behind him as faithful DM ser facer shaking his head and emitting dirty looks at anyone who offended DM in some way. He was like DM's presonal ser fac service. Offering up the dirty looks DM himself could not afford to deliver himself for reasons of out PR.

Those were the days? Enid Byrnes finally got out of there by dying. Those were the days that made me realize I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and I did not belong in that group. Those were the days that I realized that just because I wasn't being harmed attacked or suppressed, I was permitting it to happen to others by standing there in my uniform showing my support for it all. I was unwittingly a suppressor. Those were the days I seperated out from the Sea Org.

Those were the days I went exterior to the entire madness and realized I was in a looney bin. The pretense became too illogical. Marching as militia while watching the sun rise over Southern California? Did James even have a drivers license? Nobody could have awarded DM that ten pounds of medal on his chest uniform but himself, and where was he buying this shit? These people were obviously not living in present time sunny California in the United States of America!

Those were the days when impossibility roared it's beautiful head and whispered in my ear, "If you can pretend this, you can pretend anything. Everything is possible."

And my process with the Sea Org reached E.P..

And I became a "Sea Org release."

T.O.

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron
I remember James and Enid. I never really talked with James. But I always viewed Enid as sort of a surrogate grandmother while I was there becuase she kinda treated me like my Grandmother did.

I was pretty upset when I heard she died of cancer like a year after I left. I wonder if James is still up and around?

Enid was numb. She had tried many times to end her marriage with James . She couldn't walk away from her desk for a day without someone noticing the G.I. had halted. She had one option in life to survivie there, and that was to sit at that desk searching for dollars day after day after day after day. She was most unhappy. Her daughter had no personal attention. She knew she was allowed to be there because she was bringing in money, she was "disqualified" to be at Int so right off the bat the was only place to go from her reg desk, down.

She came to this country from another country and the only resources she had was the Church, according to own mind. She did not want to bring humiliation on her child or her husband. She was entirely unselfish. "Duty motivatied."

She even managed to leave her body there.

Her final donation to the Church.

And in the end her peers regarded her as a ser facy liability.

And that is quite the sadism of the day.

Right out of Victor Hugo's Les Miserables.

T.O.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Those were the days I went exterior to the entire madness and realized I was in a looney bin. The pretense became too illogical. Marching as militia while watching the sun rise over Southern California? Did James even have a drivers license? Nobody could have awarded DM that ten pounds of medal on his chest uniform but himself, and where was he buying this shit? These people were obviously not living in present time sunny California in the United States of America!

Those were the days when impossibility roared it's beautiful head and whispered in my ear, "If you can pretend this, you can pretend anything. Everything is possible."

And my process with the Sea Org reached E.P..

And I became a "Sea Org release."

T.O.

Wow TO, that is powerful stuff! And as for the post with Enid leaving her body...:omg: That really is the picture.