What's new

Anyone from Miami Org here?

Leland

Crusader
Leland, you were there in Miami...and obviously knew Felix too. Try to help me remember you. Did we ever meet?

Thanks for the above replies. I now recall hearing about that sea shell jewelry company...but don't know anything about it.

WOW....NYC model. I know what you mean about passing up some great opportunities that came along in life....due to being a "true believer...." some I regret.

Well....I could post a pic of myself, I suppose.

I had actually been living in Palo Alto...then San Fran....and briefly on lines at the San Fran Org....and got regged for the SO. I signed the contract....and came across country to Miami....with the idea of then going to Flag....to activate and go into the Sea Org.

Once I got to Miami.....(with one dime in my pocket) I got a letter from a woman at the Stevens Creek Mission....(who had been my recruiter) that I "was not qualified" to join the SO.

Whew....Wow....I really dodged a bullet there.

So, I ended up staying in Miami. I had just turned 21. It was 1976.

My father, who had basically abandoned his family many years before and moved to South America, with his new wife.....had just come back to the States from 4 years or so....first in Bolivia...and then Colombia.

So, I lucked out and had a place to stay.

Eventually I got on lines at the Miami Org.....and did some services.

I believe I did some sort of new release pertaining to the Grades....perhaps Ser Fac handling on Grade 4? Or it might have been some sort of "expanded grades"..

Then I did the CCRD....as I had gone clear many years earlier in 1972. (CCRD had not actually been released yet....but I did something related to it....)

Then I did the Hard TRs course.

I think that is all I did there.

Oh....I had "reverted" and had to do a big Ethics handling to "be allowed" to get back on lines.... :bong:

I am tall, Brown/light blond hair.....WASP....type of guy.

I could post a pic of myself....but don't have any handy for back then....

I don't recall you....at the present.....sorry. I don't remember if we met.

Perhaps from my above stuff.....you could tell me if our paths ever crossed.

I moved up North to New Jersey....around 1979.

I had been doing some sculpture even then, in Miami....and when I left....(for some reason I'm not totally remembering...) I took my best sculpture to the Miami Org....and left it with Leah Abidy. (perhaps, I thought it would be safe there???) Don't recall.

Anyway...It was a beautiful black marble fish on a carved plexiglass base. If I recall.....her nose turned up at the sight of it....(Looking back....I suppose the Fish aspect might have been construed as a Christian symbol....but it wasn't intended that way....) I don't know what happened to it. I would very much like to have it back...

Last edited:

Leland

Crusader
:) Where you said you spent most of your time on Key Biscayne....getting a tan...

I spent most of my time at South Beach....doing the same.:p

It was great to be able to swim in the Ocean, year round.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Edit: there was also Singers but I draw a blank when trying to remember what they were about. A lot of Div 6 folks went to work there so I am sure they were selling something....

There was David Singer, a chiropractor, who sold "practice management" seminars. Huge WISE company, moved up to Clearwater later. Tons of locals came in and out of those doors, quite a few who were kicked out of the S.O. and landed there.

I remember the crazy time when he was gung-ho to "get in LRH policy". OMG what a disaster that was!

Long story short, that meant hire anyone and everyone, put everyone on "units pay" and go broke! What a nightmare.

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron
There was David Singer, a chiropractor, who sold "practice management" seminars. Huge WISE company, moved up to Clearwater later. Tons of locals came in and out of those doors, quite a few who were kicked out of the S.O. and landed there.

I remember the crazy time when he was gung-ho to "get in LRH policy". OMG what a disaster that was!

Long story short, that meant hire anyone and everyone, put everyone on "units pay" and go broke! What a nightmare.

Right! I remember now. That was a chiropractor thing. I had no idea about the rest. Crazy.

Good twin

Floater
Helga Wagner. Lives in Palm Beach, completed OT 8 and still designs and sells Jewelry. Very politically connected (rumored to have been intimate with the Kennedy brothers) she was commended by Heber for getting him out of Jail in Germany. Helga is married to Helmut Koller. He is an artist that used to be the photographer for the Austrian ballet (I think) painted American Indians and now does paintings and sculptures of animals.

Nice people.

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hi Leland, I suppose you would have to go into the org to ask for it back. Gulp.

Well I could post a picture of me then too. In the albums. Why don't you friend request me and we can exchange. I think I have a picture of myself on my profile right now actually, but not of me then, it's of me now.

I don't remember you at the moment. I arrived at Miami org in 76 too but I was staff and often hidden away in the back somewhere. LOL.
:biggrin:

Thanks for the above replies. I now recall hearing about that sea shell jewelry company...but don't know anything about it.

WOW....NYC model. I know what you mean about passing up some great opportunities that came along in life....due to being a "true believer...." some I regret.

Well....I could post a pic of myself, I suppose.

I had actually been living in Palo Alto...then San Fran....and briefly on lines at the San Fran Org....and got regged for the SO. I signed the contract....and came across country to Miami....with the idea of then going to Flag....to activate and go into the Sea Org.

Once I got to Miami.....(with one dime in my pocket) I got a letter from a woman at the Stevens Creek Mission....(who had been my recruiter) that I "was not qualified" to join the SO.

Whew....Wow....I really dodged a bullet there.

So, I ended up staying in Miami. I had just turned 21. It was 1976.

My father, who had basically abandoned his family many years before and moved to South America, with his new wife.....had just come back to the States from 4 years or so....first in Bolivia...and then Colombia.

So, I lucked out and had a place to stay.

Eventually I got on lines at the Miami Org.....and did some services.

I believe I did some sort of new release pertaining to the Grades....perhaps Ser Fac handling on Grade 4? Or it might have been some sort of "expanded grades"..

Then I did the CCRD....as I had gone clear many years earlier in 1972. (CCRD had not actually been released yet....but I did something related to it....)

Then I did the Hard TRs course.

I think that is all I did there.

Oh....I had "reverted" and had to do a big Ethics handling to "be allowed" to get back on lines.... :bong:

I am tall, Brown/light blond hair.....WASP....type of guy.

I could post a pic of myself....but don't have any handy for back then....

I don't recall you....at the present.....sorry. I don't remember if we met.

Perhaps from my above stuff.....you could tell me if our paths ever crossed.

I moved up North to New Jersey....around 1979.

I had been doing some sculpture even then, in Miami....and when I left....(for some reason I'm not totally remembering...) I took my best sculpture to the Miami Org....and left it with Leah Abidy. (perhaps, I thought it would be safe there???) Don't recall.

Anyway...It was a beautiful black marble fish on a carved plexiglass base. If I recall.....her nose turned up at the sight of it....(Looking back....I suppose the Fish aspect might have been construed as a Christian symbol....but it wasn't intended that way....) I don't know what happened to it. I would very much like to have it back...

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron
:) Where you said you spent most of your time on Key Biscayne....getting a tan...

I spent most of my time at South Beach....doing the same.:p

It was great to be able to swim in the Ocean, year round.

Actually I was on South Beach too. When I wasn't at KB. KB was closer to where my parent's lived so on weekdays it was KB and on weekends it was SB.

Once I got into Scientology I didn't get to go to the beach much.....only sometimes....

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Helga Wagner. Lives in Palm Beach, completed OT 8 and still designs and sells Jewelry. Very politically connected (rumored to have been intimate with the Kennedy brothers) she was commended by Heber for getting him out of Jail in Germany. Helga is married to Helmut Koller. He is an artist that used to be the photographer for the Austrian ballet (I think) painted American Indians and now does paintings and sculptures of animals.

Nice people.

So is she still in Scientology?

I can see how for those who are not actively being oppressed and aren't staff it could seem like an option to just sit it out. But then again, the wealthier celebrity scientologists are just squeezed in different ways that probably hurt just as bad.....

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron
I wonder if I should just use an old pic of me for the avatar. But maybe not. could seem too narcissist. Maybe my art work would be better. Some painting...I tried two others but they were too small to see.

eldritch cuckoo

brainslugged reptilian
I wonder if I should just use an old pic of me for the avatar. But maybe not. could seem too narcissist. Maybe my art work would be better. Some painting...I tried two others but they were too small to see.

Why not? I think it's a fun idea. Some people here have decades old photos of them as avatars. Karen#1, for example, or Paul ("Dulloldfart"), who recently has even made a little GIF slide show. (I remember a few more "60s"/"70s" photos but not the nicknames behind them.) From hairstyle or beards or the colors (from aged film) it often is obvious anyways that the photo is old. I doubt anybody would think you would use a cool "68s" photo out of vanity, and if so, whocares. Not all faces age gracefully. (I can already tell that mine won't and with slightly over 30 I'm already beginning to get that ugly wrinkle between mouth and nose, so much to that. Fuck this, really. With 24, sometimes I still got asked whether I'm over 18 when buying wine. And now I look exactly as old as I am - though not as old as I feel. :p ) Point is: I bet the old photos sometimes help people here to make contact with old friends from their time in Scientology. I suppose that's why they're doing it. Or for the lulz of it. :hmm:
At the same time, it wouldn't necessarily mean that one is reconizable for their current friends and boss on such a photo. Not referring to OSA as a problem here, but as things are, generally not everybody needs to know what one does online (and at which time of day, LOL).

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Why not? I think it's a fun idea. Some people here have decades old photos of them as avatars. Karen#1, for example, or Paul ("Dulloldfart"), who recently has even made a little GIF slide show. (I remember a few more "60s"/"70s" photos but not the nicknames behind them.) From hairstyle or beards or the colors (from aged film) it often is obvious anyways that the photo is old. I doubt anybody would think you would use a cool "68s" photo out of vanity, and if so, whocares. Not all faces age gracefully. (I can already tell that mine won't and with slightly over 30 I'm already beginning to get that ugly wrinkle between mouth and nose, so much to that. Fuck this, really. With 24, sometimes I still got asked whether I'm over 18 when buying wine. And now I look exactly as old as I am - though not as old as I feel. :p ) Point is: I bet the old photos sometimes help people here to make contact with old friends from their time in Scientology. I suppose that's why they're doing it. Or for the lulz of it. :hmm:
At the same time, it wouldn't necessarily mean that one is reconizable for their current friends and boss on such a photo. Not referring to OSA as a problem here, but as things are, generally not everybody needs to know what one does online (and at which time of day, LOL).

Lucky for you all that black fur hides the wrinkle above your upper lip.

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Leland, something weird just clicked. I could swear now that I remember seeing a sculpture on Leah Abady's desk!!!

I wish you had taken a picture of it!

Leland

Crusader
Yea...I don't think I did....

Your new avatar....sorry, don't recall seeing you. (wish I had....:))

As a public....you know, in and out of the Org....as fast as possible.....per a schedule.....

Dally around and .....one might become a particle that attracts undo attention...:eyeroll:

Here is a photo of me from around 2002. I let my hair grow longer, back in my Miami days........

Scan.jpg

Last edited:

Leland

Crusader
Felix Lopez was about the only friend/buddy I had there...at that time. We use to go to some restaurant....late nights...a big bright place...don't recall the name. But it was in Coral Gables. I recall I even roomed in a cult group house with him for awhile.....

I liked the Medio Noche.....(Cuban sandwich....) flan....and of course, cuban coffee.....:p

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yea...I don't think I did....

Your new avatar....sorry, don't recall seeing you. (wish I had....:))

As a public....you know, in and out of the Org....as fast as possible.....per a schedule.....

Dally around and .....one might become a particle that attracts undo attention...:eyeroll:

Here is a photo of me from around 2002. I let my hair grow longer, back in my Miami days........

View attachment 9558

Thank you. You look great! Kind and generous I can see that.
Yeah, the staff had that too. Everything we did was on a schedule and we were shuttled about from one cycle or action to another or we were handling the public according to the same.

It was nice in the tech div since between pcs the auditors would lounge a bit in each other's offices and relax. Even close the doors to do it. I remember every time I did this since being slightly obsessive (probably mild aspergers without even knowing it!) I generally focused on work and did not indulge in lounging as much as some others. As I have gotten older I have refocused my focus and tried to make lounging more of the obsession. It's more productive I find.

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Felix Lopez was about the only friend/buddy I had there...at that time. We use to go to some restaurant....late nights...a big bright place...don't recall the name. But it was in Coral Gables. I recall I even roomed in a cult group house with him for awhile.....

I liked the Medio Noche.....(Cuban sandwich....) flan....and of course, cuban coffee.....:p

There was a famous Cuban restaurant, not La Carreta. I forget now. Neat about the fun times huh? I feel down that my Miami org time pulled me away from my Cuban-ness. Oh well. I could have been hanging out with yous guys.

Leland

Crusader
What do you think about the recent lifting of some US restrictions on Cuba, Mer?

I think it is interesting that exporting Medical Doctors and technicians has become one of Cuba's major exports and income earners........if not their largest.

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron
I thought that when I came to this and another Miami thread that there would be lots of us here. I have only reconnected with a couple of people. It could be that most just left scientology, got on with their lives, never looked back. I prefer that option to the version where most of them are still in CoS slogging away. I know a bunch of them are, even if they are not on staff. Cuz I defriended one on FB a month or so ago. I have no idea if he definitely knew I was a declared squirrel and SP but he certainly must know. I was the Sr C/S at the org and people did talk and gossip as to my 'fall' from grace. As to why he was on my FB, well, he is a cousin to a very close friend of mine in his family who is not a scientologist and never was. And in those days he was Jeff's best friend, plus also from the same hometown. I knew her because she was Jeff's ex, LOLOL, those exes who contact us and appear out of nowhere to tell us they now too are an "ex".

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron
What do you think about the recent lifting of some US restrictions on Cuba, Mer?

I think it is interesting that exporting Medical Doctors and technicians has become one of Cuba's major exports and income earners........if not their largest.

I try not to be political because it feels pointless to me...but i am against the lifting for a weird reason. I like that Cuba is frozen in the fifties with old cars and so on. As soon as the restrictions are gone, Cuba will be flooded with money and be modernized so the tourists can see Old Cuba from the fifties. But that Cuba will disappear thanks to the modernizations.

So really just stay in the time capsule.

There is a town there named after a branch of my family and they idolize the family there. You see, my family funded the DuPonts, dumped the DuPonts, went to Cuba, helped fund the American Revolution, had sugar plantations where all slaves were freed on the day of purchase etc.

So I can go to Cuba and probably would not be allowed to stay at a hotel as long as I found my way to correct location. And now that I have written this I have lost my getaway hideout should interpol ever need to find me. LOLOL. But don't worry. There is at least one other getaway place although probably not usable for other reasons.