What's new

Anyone remember Jerry McDonald, Baron Berez or Doug Rambo?

ChrisO

Patron
I'm currently researching a matter involving three former Sea Org members – Jerry McDonald, Baron Berez and Doug Rambo, who were all on the Apollo in 1968. I'm trying to get to the bottom of their career in Scientology. Here's what I know so far:
  • Berez was aboard the Apollo in 1968 but was apparently kicked out of Scientology for drug abuse at the end of 1968. I don't know when he joined.
  • Rambo was also aboard the Apollo in 1968. He seems to have been kicked out too, but I don't know when he joined or left. Presumably before 1970 though.
  • McDonald joined around 1967 while still technically in the US Navy. After the Apollo he went off to the Pacific to serve as Commander Pacific Flotilla aboard the Bluefin/Ares and Makaira in 1969. He blew the Sea Org in early 1970, but had rejoined by 1972. I don't know when he left.
Can anyone provide any more info about their Scientological careers? (I'm aware they had an interesting life outside of Scientology; I'm focusing here on what they did while still members.)

cakemaker

Patron Meritorious
I'm currently researching a matter involving three former Sea Org members – Jerry McDonald, Baron Berez and Doug Rambo, who were all on the Apollo in 1968. I'm trying to get to the bottom of their career in Scientology. Here's what I know so far:
  • Berez was aboard the Apollo in 1968 but was apparently kicked out of Scientology for drug abuse at the end of 1968. I don't know when he joined.
  • Rambo was also aboard the Apollo in 1968. He seems to have been kicked out too, but I don't know when he joined or left. Presumably before 1970 though.
  • McDonald joined around 1967 while still technically in the US Navy. After the Apollo he went off to the Pacific to serve as Commander Pacific Flotilla aboard the Bluefin/Ares and Makaira in 1969. He blew the Sea Org in early 1970, but had rejoined by 1972. I don't know when he left.
Can anyone provide any more info about their Scientological careers? (I'm aware they had an interesting life outside of Scientology; I'm focusing here on what they did while still members.)
Did you try contacting Janis Gillham Grady who wrote the book "Commodore's Messenger"?
You can contact her through www.commodoresmessenger.com

pkatz

Patron with Honors
Berez is the gloating asshole in the famous photo of some poor schmuck being overboarded from Apollo. I read the photo may have been only a set-up for publication in the Auditor.

He was with LRH in the early days. My friend, Frank McCall, the curator of the SO Museum in Clw, showed me a log book entry in LRH's handwriting from one of the early SO vessels about some important decision he made that was endorsed with all the ship's officers' signatures, including Berez.

If McDonald had come back in I would have heard about it. Never happened.

Last edited:

cakemaker

Patron Meritorious
Berez is the gloating asshole in the famous photo of some poor schmuck being overboarded from Apollo. I read the photo may have been only a set-up for publication in the Auditor.

He was with LRH in the early days. My friend, Frank McCall, the curator of the SO Museum in Clw, showed me a log book entry in LRH's handwriting from one of the early SO vessels about some important decision he made that was endorsed with all the ship's officers' signatures, including Berez.

If McDonald had come back in I would have heard about it. Never happened.
Is Frank still around?
How about Wally Burgess?

pkatz

Patron with Honors
Is Frank still around?
How about Wally Burgess?
Matt Pesch, in an interview with Jeff Augustine, revealed that Frank McCall passed away some time ago.

I don't know about Wally Burgess.

Last edited:

pkatz

Patron with Honors
It's worth remembering Wally Burgess. I was doing an inspection of low stats at the middle management office in LA as part of my job, around 1972. One of the prescribed steps on what was called an I&R Form 1 was to inspect a person's work area looking for unhandled communications, "hat dumps", anything that may have contributed to the decline.

Mr. Burgess was the man at the top of the command chart and I was nosing around his desk when he entered.

WB: What the Hell are you doing?

Me: An I&R Form 1, Sir! Looking for... (see above list)

WB: Oh. Carry on, then!