What's new

Anyone who was at ASHO ?

HappyGirl

Gold Meritorious Patron
My husband and I were at ASHOF as public in the late nineties. We did the Ethics Spec. Crs and the Volunteer Ministers Course in the academy next door to the BC. I don't remember any names any more except the course sup was named Julie, and we had the best supe in the world (basically, he didn't apply the tech, he was just a nice guy) named Tyler. He was so good he was promoted and replaced with another Tyler who was godawful (he actually applied the tech, and any fun in the courseroom disappeared after that). For example, we liked to study in the practical room so we could secretly joke and degrade about the tech we were learning, but after the second Tyler showed up he made us study in the courseroom, so we couldn't talk any more. Do you remember an odd couple that liked to study in the practical room? :)

on+the+BC.jpg
So that's where I know you from! The Auditor mag!!

As long as we’re playing that game, recognize anyone here? :) This was some promo that my husband (the printer of the Advance mags at the time) printed up for Narconon, early 70s.

Attachments

• Narconon drug party.jpg
    Narconon drug party.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 48

FinallyFree

Gold Meritorious Patron
I know what you mean. I was there too. I helped on setting up the shots for pictures in course rooms; This is weird isn't it ? Many course rooms were emptied so we had to wait lunch time, buy food so the public could stay for a course room shot during lunch time. We would get all the public from the differents course rooms to be able to fill one up. Then the picture would look great with all those people and it would appear in the Auditor Magazine but of course, it was not true. The course room were pratically all the time empty during the period I was there.
So what are you looking it ? The light ? a beautiful girl sitting across from you ? or being happy because this is the end of course time.

They nabbed staff too when the public were short on hand. I was at LAD in the early 90's....

Operating DB

Truman Show Dropout
I knew James later on around 1990 when he was Tech C/S at ASHO. He was having some health problems but was still on post when I left. Any idea what happened to him or where he is now?

I don't know for sure. We lost touch with each other after I left ASHO in 1980. He was at ASHO for training and was supposed to come back to our Mission but ended up being stolen to serve out there.
I googled his name not too long ago. From what I can gather he cut an album of piano music and may live somewhere in CA north of LA.

I wonder what brought about his health problems? PTS to scientology perhaps?

skollie

Silver Meritorious Patron
I don't know for sure. We lost touch with each other after I left ASHO in 1980. He was at ASHO for training and was supposed to come back to our Mission but ended up being stolen to serve out there.
I googled his name not too long ago. From what I can gather he cut an album of piano music and may live somewhere in CA north of LA.

I wonder what brought about his health problems? PTS to scientology perhaps?

James lives in Novato, California and has a website.

http://www.marchandmusic.net/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wnYQuaWdY0

doublevee

Patron
I want to say James and Claire left, but I don't know where I heard that... hopefully someone else will have more information for you.

DanLocke

Patron with Honors
I was at ASHO in 73 and 74 as an outer org trainee. I was also on staff at the ASHOs between 79 and 98, with a couple years in there being a FLWUS member. I was often on tour though, sometimes for years and people would come and go without knowing me. Between 98 and 03, I was in the PAC RPF.

But I love to find old friends from PAC. I have only found a few. Most of the people who have left who are very visible seem to have been uplines.

Mary1130

I was myself at asho day in 2005 (only for 10 days) but I remember the crew was great.

Does anybody know something about Shawn Denning - he was at asho day from (i think) 2004 to 2007/2008.

Mary

JackStraw

Silver Meritorious Patron
I was at ASHO in the early 2000s, I don't recall the exact dates.

I went there to do a NED internship to go back to my mission to audit.
When I arrived I was put on a Pro TRs "retread." That took a few days, I got a RTC pass. Then, because of an obscure film reference, I had to re-do my pro upper indocs. The supe sent me across the hall to the BC course room to ask for [some specific person] I never heard of. I did, I got him and he came over to coach me on the upper indocs. We did the drills and I passed, and quickly and was routed through course completion. As I was from out of town and finished two "major" courses on Thursday morning (before 2:00 PM) i WAS A HERO!:eyeroll:

While my supe was signing off my checksheet she asked me "Do you know who that was? (that had coached me). I said "no." She said "Do you remember the Pro TRs film? The main "Flag" supe, tall, blond, bearded guy? That was his son!" I guess TRs run in the family. ('though, at the time, I did think it was cool.

Then I had to enroll on the Pro Metering course. (I had already passed that, too, at my local org.) That went fine until I sent a tape to the RTC. They decided to flunk me. The course supe passed me, the Practical Supe passed me, the Deputy Senior C/S (the one who checked all tapes before they went to RTC) passed me. When the tape came back with a "flunk" it took the supes reviewing the tape 11 times on super-slo-mo to "agree" that the last (third) read I called as instant was actually "latent." Several weeks of more flunks (in the ASHO courseroom) later, I gave up. The metering supes, (several times while I was there) were checked on their metering skills. They had to retread, retrain, re-do verification tapes of there "skills" while I was there. Led me to believe there was no objective standard. Nobody could pass unless someone wanted tham to pass...
Possibly paranoia on my part, but there was no rhyme or reason to auditing skill and an RTC pass. I left.

However, the supes, I liked them. In the "Theory" room was a woman. I don't recall her name. She was great! Short of stature, form somewhere in Central or South America. Whe was hysterically funny! She would stand behind me and when I screwed up would SHOUT "FLUNK!" Louder than I ever heard. At first it was shocking. Then it became funny. I loved it. She did it to everyone.

She was tough and fair, so she was ok in my book. The lead practical supe was a tallish, slender guy who was also tough and fair. He was a runner. He participated in scientologist runs, ran marathons (and finished them). He was a good guy.

There was a word clearer in the metering courseroom. (As I had been an exemplary word clearer in my earlier days on mission staff, I gave her some trouble.) I didn't toe anyones line. I was a tough student. She got away with nothing with me.

But all to no avail (for them). When It became obvious to me I would never complete the course, I split. I blew, in scn parlance.

F*ck 'em!

But, does anyone have any idea who I'm talking about? Does anyone know who these supes are?

Thanks,

Jack

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
I was at ASHO in 73 and 74 as an outer org trainee. I was also on staff at the ASHOs between 79 and 98, with a couple years in there being a FLWUS member. I was often on tour though, sometimes for years and people would come and go without knowing me. Between 98 and 03, I was in the PAC RPF.

But I love to find old friends from PAC. I have only found a few. Most of the people who have left who are very visible seem to have been uplines.

Hi Dan,

I remember you from the LRH birthday event we both worked on in '91. It was an eyeopener for me to find out how much money came into the orgs and was instantly removed from the orgs and wasted. And I thought all those beans and rice weeks were because we weren't making enough money for food! lol

I was only around for a short time after that.

G

Gottabrain

Are you talking about the "Roach Coach"? Despite the name, it was a handy place to get some quick food.
I was at ASHO from the mid 70s until the Exodus in 82/83. I'm curious if David Horwedel is still there? Or at AO?

Chlng

Ya, that was the roach coach. I liked it too. Missed it. Never knew before why it disappeared but it figures - COS wants ALL your money!

Yah, David Horwedel is still in the SO, at AOLA.

Demented LRH

Patron Meritorious
I took Bridge courses at both ASHO DAY and ASHO FOUNDATION (Big Blue)

This is what I know about its stuff:

Dan Burke was sent to RPF twice. Currently he is out of CoS.

Mark Spearman is a chiropractor now. He is still a Scientologist.

Marcy Sargeant has her own Facebook page, she is a staff member, no longer in Sea Org.

I heard that Wade Starr is in RPF, but I am not sure about that.

phenomanon

Canyon
Ya, that was the roach coach. I liked it too. Missed it. Never knew before why it disappeared but it figures - COS wants ALL your money!

Yah, David Horwedel is still in the SO, at AOLA.

I'm really sorry to know that Horwedel is still in. One of my biggest regrets is that I 'salvaged' him when he blew around 1979. I did sec checks and "cleaned him up".

I am so so so sorry.

David is a very good guy.

phenomanon

G

Gottabrain

I'm really sorry to know that Horwedel is still in. One of my biggest regrets is that I 'salvaged' him when he blew around 1979. I did sec checks and "cleaned him up".

I am so so so sorry.

David is a very good guy.

phenomanon

He was. He even gave me a reference after I left the SO without ever mentioning Scn. I've heard he is not so nice in recent years, but I don't personally know.

DanLocke

Patron with Honors
Hi Dan,

I remember you from the LRH birthday event we both worked on in '91. It was an eyeopener for me to find out how much money came into the orgs and was instantly removed from the orgs and wasted. And I thought all those beans and rice weeks were because we weren't making enough money for food! lol

I was only around for a short time after that.

Hey there! Sorry that I did not see this till now! I don't know how to find out if your "real name" is here or not or if you would like to talk. I am [email protected]

Dan

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Hi fancy,
Well we may have pass by each other then. I was there at that time too.

As regard to the course room, someone had the greatest idea ??? you move the academy level course room to one part of the BC theory on the second floor and the practical on the same floor too. Then you had course room which seem to be pretty full. In fact the BC was empty. Then came out new checksheets and APPARENTLY there was some arbitraries and you did not need to deliver 100 of hours of auditing on the BC level 0 and P. Then you see the picture I think ? Student would arrive on the internship and they were as good as people who had finished their Class IV !!! In fact a bit better but not how it should have been. There was promotion being done on the fact that the BC doesn't take much time to do. Well not true. Some of them had to retread some of the level because they were so bad with their auditing. This must be still happening.

That's part of what killed the BC and training in general.

I didn't train just to "get the tech". A primary reason to train was to produce results on friends and associates. The way you get confidence in your ability to audit is to AUDIT, and for your PCs to be truly happy with your auditing of them.

If you don't achieve that, if you do not gain the ability to produce happy PCs, then what's the point of training?

A further motivation would be if you had intention of auditing for a living, as a well-paid field auditor or being hired for cash by some mission or org. By the 90's, field auditors were being driven out of business by the increasing BS they had to put up with. Once auditing for decent pay became a non-viable dream, then there went another practical reason for being trained.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Hi michael,
I remember something like this with the van.... it was in 1996 or 1997. There was people rushing after course to get food. It was canceled and the guy was told not to come over anymore. Stupid "They" ! That person was upset as this was his job. He was not a scientologist. He kept coming anyway but security told the public they could not buy from him anymore and so they put him out of business. The Church then opened up a new cantine for the public and got their money of course. The food was not great neither. Public at later time were told not to go to some restaurant as the owners were against scientology. Weird no ?

Back in the mid 80's, there were a few decent places to eat very near the org. I would eat breakfast at "New York George's" (which I believe was run by a Scnist). There was a decent Thai place where I would have lunch.