ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

AOSH UK R&W July 2014

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Lesolee (Sith Lord), Jul 6, 2014.

1. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

It was rare. Just one winter I was there, in the early 80s. We could walk across the lake on the ice and it didn't even feel scary. And the ice groaned every now and then, the first time I had ever heard ice groan. I could only imagine what a large body of ice groaning was like considering how much noise this tiny lake with a few inches of ice on top made.

Paul

2. La La Lou Lou

La La Lou Lou Crusader

It was amazing to skim shards of ice across the ice sheet. The ice acted like a crystal drum skin.

3. smartone

smartone My Own Boss

I remember that. It was 1985, I was public and on the Purif.

4. Mick Wenlock

Mick Wenlock Admin Emeritus (retired)

Oh I remember going out on the sea between Copenhagen and Malmo when it froze (which happened a few times. Some brave souls thought they might try 'walking to malmo but a couple of hundred yards trying to make your way through the jumble of ice against the shore... nuff said.

I have heard sea ice groaning up in the arctic - frightening sound when you are in a trawler.

5. La La Lou Lou

La La Lou Lou Crusader

I have heard of someone's grandad who had walked from Malmö to Copenhagen in the old days when it was colder. I did the crossing Helsingør-Helsingborg, or is it the other way round? a breaker had to carve a channel for the ferry to go through, what amazed me was that it didn't feel as cold as I thought it would.

Groaning frozen seas when you are in a trawler sounds petrifying! I did see the little mermaid surrounded by sea ice, poor thing did look cold, and very, very small. There's something very awe inspiring about frozen sea.

From what I could work out the Saint Hill Lake had a bubble of air under the ice, but mechanically that doesn't make sense, as what is supporting the ice then?

6. Lesolee (Sith Lord)

Lesolee (Sith Lord) Patron Meritorious

No, but what on earth is that picture of? The name "Walsh Manor" sounds familiar. Is this a Sea Org berth? Are those rectangular lumps porta-cabins? If so, is that for sleeping?

There have been cases recently of slum landlords having people living in glorified sheds in their back-gardens. That is not legal and the buildings were demolished.

7. Lesolee (Sith Lord)

Here's your instant hat,
    although if you haven't seen any of the films :omg:
    it may not make much sense.

[video=youtube;5s2HAksk3w4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s2HAksk3w4[/video]

8. strativarius

strativarius Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

Oops, too late. Lol! Go back and read my earlier post again.

Eddie Izzard - f'ing brilliant. Nothing about the Sith in the clip though!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  9. Axiom142

Axiom142 Gold Meritorious Patron

Walsh Manor is the UK Sea Org nesting site.

The original Manor is to the left of the photo, the rather ugly rectangular structures, which are properly constructed, are a later addition and are where the Sea Ogres sleep.

The site used to be a ‘special’ school for troubled teenagers or sumfink. The cult bought it after Brook House burned down in 1993. They tarted it up and moved in in 1995. I went to the grand opening and it actually looked quite nice. Of course, the sample berthing we were showed round was typically deceptive – it had only 2 beds when the reality was at least 3 beds in each non-couple room.

It also had an indoor swimming pool, but I believe that was not in use later.

Most disturbingly, they set up a school in the grounds so that the children of Sea Ogres wouldn’t have to go to the state schools. The official line was to prevent them from getting bullied / hooked on drugs etc, but the real reason is to prevent them getting silly ideas about having a life and not wanting to join the Sea Org. Here is a link to the entry in the ‘Good School Guide’, see if you can spot the deliberate deception: http://www.goodschoolsguide.co.uk/schools/102450/walsh-manor-school

The linked OFSTED report is a bit of a joke, but does contain some criticisms. Interestingly, it states that the school has just 7 students. Possibly this indicates that a number of kids were out working when they should have been at school or else that Sea Ogres numbers have crashed over the past few years. Back when I was in the SO, I would have expected 30 – 40 kids to be of school age.

This is rather telling: “Ensure that students are given more opportunities to learn about information and communication technology (ICT) and can practise the skills they have acquired in a variety of contexts.”

The cult doesn’t want its future drones to learn how to use computers – so they won’t know how to access the harmful Entheta that pervades the web?

And, “Students make adequate progress as a result of an adequate curriculum and adequate teaching. Students enter the school with varying levels of attainment; some are below those expected for their age; sometimes several years below. A detailed baseline assessment of their attainment on entry is not always completed and this delays the setting of suitable progress targets for each student. Consequently, work is not always sufficiently demanding to ensure that those who are more capable make rapid progress. Nonetheless, all students make progress owing to high levels of attendance and good attitudes to learning.”

Hmmm, those transferring, presumably from other SO sites are well behind in their education?

“All students make expected rates of progress over time in English, as required by the school’s check sheets, with some students progressing in their speaking and reading skills at a rapid pace. However students’ overall achievement is not good because progress in other areas of the curriculum, especially in mathematics, is hindered because students’ targets are not reviewed frequently enough. In some cases not enough time is spent on some subjects such as geography and ICT, so that students’ achievements in these subjects are limited.”

The most telling comment is, perhaps:

“The school arranges trips to a range of destinations that broaden the horizons and deepen the understanding that students have of the world around them. As well as having access to materials from Connexions careers advice service, students are also offered the opportunity to undertake work experience and develop their knowledge and further their understanding of Scientology at Saint Hill Manor.

Sounds like an excuse for slave labour.

The whole report reeks of being dammed by faint praise. Being merely ‘adequate’ when you claim to have the most advanced study technology in the history of the Universe, evah! is rather pathetic.

Axiom142

10. Axiom142

Axiom142 Gold Meritorious Patron

Obviously you couldn’t count the PCs, but did you go into the courserooms and count the students? Or count the number of staff members?

I am pretty sure there was an event going on that weekend and the giant sign proclaiming ‘Maiden Voyage Events’ is a bit of a clue. I have been past St Hill dozens of times in the past few years band I can tell you that the number of vehicles consistently in the car park is well down that when I was on lines as a public (left in 2008). Remember when they were caught hiring extras for the IAS event? That would have been unthinkable back in the early noughties.

Did you manage to get some photos of the inside of the castle? Unfortunately every time I go near the place, security goes into full DEFCON 2 mode and they prevent me from entering the buildings. And they will never go into specifics on why a lifetime member of the IAS isn’t allowed into the premises he helped pay for. So much for being ‘open to the public’!

As regards to the grounds being in good condition – well, you can do a lot when you have a captive workforce that gets paid peanuts. It’s a pity you didn’t let me know you were coming down, I could have showed you the areas where they just dump their waste instead of disposing of it in an environmentally-responsible manner. Then perhaps, you wouldn’t have thought the grounds were in quite such good condition.

There were severe problems with the sewage, which I documented here: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?30033-Dirty-Cult

They only fixed it after I reported them to the authorities.

And, could the presence of toilet paper be another indication that they aren’t getting the previous levels of throughput of customers, along with the attendant throughput of another kind?

The garage shown in your later photo is, I believe a fairly recent addition to house Hubb’s Jag. Interior shots have been featured in recent cult promo. Did you have a peek inside?

Typical cult – spend tens of thousands on building a swanky garage to house a car no one is going to drive, when staff don’t even get paid.

Axiom142

11. Lesolee (Sith Lord)

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"

[video=youtube;Zzs-OvfG8tE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzs-OvfG8tE[/video]

Darth Vader is a Sith.
    The Emperor (Vader's boss) is a Sith.

Between the two of them they have just eliminated almost all of the Jedi (good guys) in the Galaxy. 2 Jedi remain alive, and two who could become Jedi - for whom the Force is strong.

12. RodKeller8008

RodKeller8008 Patron

Walsh Manor is a SO berthing, and one of only seven RPFs on the planet. Until they install them in South Africa, Mexico City and Mono, Canada.

13. strativarius

"This bickering is pointless your Lordship, you will never pursuade me to accept your belief system, and Axiom142 has far more pressing matters he wishes to draw your attention to!"

14. La La Lou Lou

La La Lou Lou Crusader

I don't actually understand how they have any kids of school age there, surely kids are now redefined as just failed abortions.

15. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

So do they allow you into the grounds, but not the buildings? Or is that they don't recognise you until you're already in the grounds, and they don't want to frogmarch you outside the gates? I'm genuinely curious, and not sure of the legal implications here.

Ahem. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Paul

16. Lesolee (Sith Lord)

You can't just wander into a course room during course time and not make trouble for yourself, so no.

Agreed. It was some sort of Maiden Voyage anniversary on Fridays. The big tent was up between the purif building and the castle. They may have smartened the place up for the events.

No, the place was too busy to do that unobtrusively. Some say of Lesolee, "Looked for he cannot be seen; listened for he cannot be heard" - or was that Shaolin monks (as depicted in Kung Fu the series) :eyeroll:
    In the canteen seating area above the serving area there was a sign saying WiFi access.

How? Are you wearing an anonymous mask or something? It's hard to imagine ALL the Sea Ogres recognising you. Maybe you just radiate entheta :omg: It was a hot day so all the doors were open and it was easy to plot a course to avoid as many Sea Ogres as possible :melodramatic:

Honestly I don't think it actually costs much to maintain the grounds. You just have to care a bit (and have diesel for the tractor). Those benches probably weren't expensive to make and should last for years.

No, missed opportunity.

Much anger do I sense. :nervous:

17. Gib

Gib Crusader

When I did the new TR's & Objectives newly released save the world promo by the COS just two years ago.

I saw the same thing.

Guess what?

It was the same old people at the org I went to and did this service. Some new peeps, but mostly old timers from my era. :roflmao:

Expansion?

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

18. La La Lou Lou

La La Lou Lou Crusader

It surprises me that anyone can just walk around the Hill without getting attacked by hungry reges and recruiters. Surely a new face would be pounced on, especially now when new faces are rarer? I know Saint Hill was less 'in yer face' than other places I've been to but certainly in AOSHEU there would have been someone taking down notes of who you are and what you do to earn your living at least, if not routing you to an IAS reg, allowing members of the public to look at buildings when they could be being regged is so mamby pamby.

19. strativarius

Maintain the grounds? I thought that was the job of the RPF. At least it was when I was on it and it cost them nothing at all.

20. La La Lou Lou

La La Lou Lou Crusader

And don't forget Norman who worked on the grounds, later he himself starred in the RPF walking round singing in an operatic voice, ''last night I lay in bed and pulled my plonka', and it was good'' not something that would be allowed now, of course.

It was best to keep uneducated people away from Ron's ancient roses, they got destroyed by enthusiastic hands over-pruning.