What's new

Apollo helm for sale?

Gib

Crusader
Re: More items for sale from the Scientology Flag Ship Apollo

To what end? Who are they deceiving? I know they have a long history of such lunacy, such as having the Apollo, GOLD and the Flag Land base at "Secret" locations, but they were only unknown to the buying public. Everybody else knew. Dig this: my wife's grandmother sent us newspaper clippings about the Flag Land Base for like a year before they finally told the public where it was.

For the life of me, I never understood why in hell they bothered. I seriously doubt they were fooling the FBI etc. as to their locations.

Hubbard mentioned on a tape somewhere, that Ian Fleming ( Jame Bond ) was his favorite author. It must have gone to his head. :hide:

Mimsey

you answered your own question, that is the scientology buying public, but also staff members and Sea Org members.

So your grandmother sent you clippings at the time, and you never thought much about it, at the time, I assume? How come?

cakemaker

Patron Meritorious

The Curator of the Sea Org Museum did salvage some items from the bridge of the vessel and he would have loved to restore and display the gear you are selling.

The "nautical flavor" of the Ft. Harrison lobby, extolled by the Commodore in a 1970s Ron's Journal, is long gone. Frank McCall's beautiful ship models were moved to a backwater in the bank bldg by the early 80's.

Pictures of the Apollo model.
(Anybody know what happened to Frank McCall?)

o7ow9l.jpg

2s9qbo5.jpg

you answered your own question, that is the scientology buying public, but also staff members and Sea Org members.

So your grandmother sent you clippings at the time, and you never thought much about it, at the time, I assume? How come?
The staff knew but weren't blabbing. When she sent my wife the clipping, the next time I was in the org ( aola) I asked Enid about it and she denied it. Similar when I mentioned about int bring in Hemet.

I assumed she was lying or really out of the loop, though that made no sense.

Take for example - why do they keep CST's ( church of spiritual technology ) existence secret? Most staff and public have no idea of it's existence, and neither did I till I was declared and started reading on the net. What do they gain by keeping the staff and public in the dark? Please tell me because I don't have a clue why.

I would think there would be better PR if they told people proudly: the CST is the final repository of the tech. Show pictures etc. Brag it up. But no. They opt for the bottom of the tone scale.

I guess this is one of Hubbard's Teks -The course that covers it is the SM&SAOI course: slather mystery and secrecy all over it (c)

mimsey

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron

The staff knew but weren't blabbing. When she sent my wife the clipping, the next time I was in the org ( aola) I asked Enid about it and she denied it. Similar when I mentioned about int bring in Hemet.

Take for example - why do they keep CST's ( church of spiritual technology ) existence secret? Most staff and public have no idea of it's existence, and neither did I till I was declared and started reading on the net. What do they gain by keeping the staff and public in the dark? Please tell me because I don't have a clue why.

I would think there would be better PR if they told people proudly: the CST is the final repository of the tech. Show pictures etc. Brag it up. But no. They opt for the bottom of the tone scale.

I guess this is one of Hubbard's Teks -The course that covers it is the SM&SAOI course: slather mystery and secrecy all over it (c)

mimsey

“Reach and Withdraw” and “Mystery Sandwich” Tech in order to get followers to compete over access isn’t unique or original to Scientology. LRH's obsession with secretive stuff is probably part of what got him intrigued with O.T.O. in the first place.
_____
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctum_sanctorum

The Latin phrase sanctum sanctorum is a Latin translation of the biblical term "Holy of Holies" which generally refers in Latin texts to the holiest place of the Tabernacle of Ancient Israel and later the Temples in Jerusalem, but also has some derivative use in application to imitations of the Tabernacle in church architecture.
The Latin word sanctum is the neuter form of the adjective "holy," and sanctorum its genitive plural. Thus the term sanctum sanctorum literally means "the holy [place/thing] of the holy [places/things]," replicating in Latin the Hebrew construction for the superlative, with the intended meaning "the most holy [place/thing]."
The plural form sancta sanctorum is also used, arguably as a synecdoche referring to the holy relics contained in the sanctuary. The Vulgate translation of the Bible uses Sancta sanctorum for the Holy of Holies.[1] Hence the derivative usage to denote the Sancta Sanctorum chapel in the complex of St John Lateran, Rome.

Gib

Crusader

mimsey

Don't know Mims. Maybe because DM thought people would start asking questions to themselves and want real answers like who is on the board the you DM are chairman of? Like you, when I first heard of the CST thru internet research, I actually didn't believe it, it sounded like a joke or something the "critics" made up. I was like is this for real?

Also, knowing DM as Chairman of the Board always struck me as odd when I was in. I couldn't put my finger on it you might say.

TrunkJunk

Hey guys. Yes the helm did sell, which I am pleased about. Unfortunately I can't say who purchased it, but I can say you'll probably see it again in better condition. As for how it got in this condition, the ship itself was hit by a train somehow and took on lots of water before it was scrapped. Then after it was scrapped it just sat in a storage container for 30+ years. Knowing that, plus that the ship itself was built over 80 years ago I think its really in quite good shape.

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus

Hey guys. Yes the helm did sell, which I am pleased about. Unfortunately I can't say who purchased it, but I can say you'll probably see it again in better condition. As for how it got in this condition, the ship itself was hit by a train somehow and took on lots of water before it was scrapped. Then after it was scrapped it just sat in a storage container for 30+ years. Knowing that, plus that the ship itself was built over 80 years ago I think its really in quite good shape.

That's OK, we have a pretty good idea. Wink, wink. :)

I think Hoaxie was right. Soon to be available, upgrade your cult status to HELMSMAN MERITORIOUS !

Gib

Crusader

Thanks dude. It's been fun for the drama of the sale. Best of luck to you, for reals. :yes:

May you flourish and prosper in all future endeavors. :thumbsup:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

As for how it got in this condition, the ship itself was hit by a train somehow

Yeah, happens all the time.

It wasn't a Venusian train, was it?

(Scn joke, TrunkJunk)

Paul

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Bwahahaha! $8,000??

Forget that!

I have an infinitely greater investment opportunity.

For only $500 I am willing to sell one of my collection of stool samples from a bio-tech employee who worked in the lab where LRH's doctor sent in samples for diagnostic workups.

Each is beautifully sealed in a zip-log baggie, suitable for framing or leaving on a coffee table as a conversation starter. Each can also be used as a unique gift for Valentines Day in two weeks!

Beyond breaking the ice at parties or letting your loved one know your ARC for them is in Power, you can also retrieve authentic LRH DNA from the baggies which could possibly lead to an untold fortune if you find a scientist willing to clone-grow a new MEST body for the Commodore's return.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
It is the Apollo Helm...I was well familiar with it. Needless to say, it was not in this neglected condition back then.

Face:)
When I started reading this thread I thought Hana would know but you would know fore sure - sure 'nuff, you identified it.

I never got close to it, but, it just looked right.

The spliced 3 strand around the eye on what they used for a tie down, I thought, was the most interesting piece.

cakemaker

Patron Meritorious
When I started reading this thread I thought Hana would know but you would know fore sure - sure 'nuff, you identified it.

I never got close to it, but, it just looked right.

The spliced 3 strand around the eye on what they used for a tie down, I thought, was the most interesting piece.

I heard that this is a SECOND helm and not the one that sold a few months ago.
Apparently there were 3 helms (not sure where on the ship they were located aside from the main one in the wheelhouse).
Two ended up on EBay and one is supposedly in the SO museum in clearwater.
Can anyone confirm the Clearwater one?

Gib

Crusader
I heard that this is a SECOND helm and not the one that sold a few months ago.
Apparently there were 3 helms (not sure where on the ship they were located aside from the main one in the wheelhouse).
Two ended up on EBay and one is supposedly in the SO museum in clearwater.
Can anyone confirm the Clearwater one?

well it sold for 8K.

If one looks at the first listing, the pictures, there are two red painted balls with a glass, the second listing shows a red ball & green ball and no glass.

So, the second listing is not the same as the first. Details are important.

Last edited:

Anonycat

Crusader
well it sold for 8K. If one looks at the first listing, the pictures, there are two red painted balls with a glass, the second listing shows a red ball & green ball and no glass. So, the second listing is not the same as the first. Details are important.
That's an expensive coaster for your gin & tonic. It must have been bought by the cult/cultie. It's old trash that does nothing.

Gib

Crusader
That's an expensive coaster for your gin & tonic. It must have been bought by the cult/cultie. It's old trash that does nothing.

who knows who bought it, we don't know.

However, it does have historical significance aside from the scientology significance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Royal_Scotsman

The only thing we can know who bought it, in the future, if we keep track of it, is if it was DM or scientology, and that in a few years the COS/DM will promote it in their promo pieces or fund raising.

Or, it will be in some museum.