What's new

Are Rathbun, Rinder and all those Ex-Int Base Staff our Friends?

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
We do, indeed! Why else would we even bother?
smile.png
You tell me.

I just did.

<....snip>
Let's just say we really respect each other and value each other.

We do, indeed! Why else would we even bother?
smile.png

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
WAIT A MINUTE! Mark "Chopper" Read has died?!?!?!

That's terrible. I mean it. That guy should get a joint Nobel prize in philosophy, psychology and entertainment.

RIP, Mark Read.

TG1
Yes, he was 58. The guy in the video is comedian Ronnie Johns doing his Chopper impersonation but the message is pure Chopper-speke.

(Of course the real Chopper was one scarey dude, a career criminal and vicious thug in his heyday, but the years seemed to have mellowed him somewhat, at least, that's the public image he portrayed.)

TG1

Angelic Poster
Yes, he was 58. The guy in the video is comedian Ronnie Johns doing his Chopper impersonation but the message is pure Chopper-speke.

(Of course the real Chopper was one scarey dude, a career criminal and vicious thug in his heyday, but the years seemed to have mellowed him somewhat, at least, that's the public image he portrayed.)

Whew! It's Ronnie Johns I like. :).

Never mind.

Student of Trinity

Silver Meritorious Patron
According to Wikipedia, Read died of liver cancer that was probably a result of his Hepatitis C (chronic inflammation = lots of cell division = accelerated risk of cancer). Before he got cancer he would have been a candidate for a liver transplant, and liver transplants can really fix Hep C. Wikipedia doesn't say whether Read was actually in line to get a transplant, but it says he refused — sounds as though he refused to be considered for donation at all. He didn't want to be the guy to get saved, if a liver could benefit someone else instead.

Hepatitis C is actually a very nasty condition. In advanced stages it's really debilitating. Even at that point, a transplant can suddenly give you your life back. I know someone who's experienced that. Turning down something that can really just bring you back from the dead, so that some stranger can have it instead ... that's hard, all right. Read was a hard man for most of his life, apparently, after a really rotten childhood, but at least at the end, some of his hardness was decent.

TG1

Angelic Poster
Cool read, Panda. Thanks. And I agree with SoT -- sounds like parts of Chopper's personal code were admirable.

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
According to Wikipedia, Read died of liver cancer that was probably a result of his Hepatitis C (chronic inflammation = lots of cell division = accelerated risk of cancer).

Actually, the cells that are dividing in chronic inflammation are not the ones that eventually go rogue in hepatic cancer. The virus itself is a suppressor of proteins that are part of the immuno editing of cancer cells in normals, as well as a suppressor of other cell cycle regulators.

Cirrhosis is a huge risk factor for HCV induced hepatocancer. The scar tissue induces oxidative stress, and promotes certain kinds of cell signaling messengers (cytokines) such as TGF beta that promote tumor growth by increasing the substrates (blood vessels and scar tissue) that in turn promote cancer cell division. In addition, the up-regulation of certain pathways in the inflammation induced in fighting the virus (e.g. the NF kappa B / IKK pathway that TNF uses) down regulates other pathways that are regularly involved in cancer cell surveillance.

/ immuno geekery

As one who knows nothing about the man...(may he rest in peace) how did he get his nickname? In America it would imply that he either bit people while fighting, (choppers being slang for your teeth), or that he LOVED "chopped" (customized) Harley-Davidson motorcycles...or BOTH! :unsure: Or was he known for chopping bits off of people? YIKES! :omg:

My condolences to all who morn his passing.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
See my post #211 above ie. 13 Things You Didn't Know ... it's number 5 and has a link.

"5. Read was already known as 'Chopper' - the name came from the cartoon bulldog in the show Yakky Doodle."

Ah...nothing so gruesome. Thank you, Pandy. I'd never heard of the man.

Interesting...big authentically rough and tough guy, allows himself to be named after a kid's cartoon dog.

Wanted to be the "Big Dog" in his world?

What a barbaric childhood and youth...sad, really.

I just read recently that the Los Angeles, Ca. County Jail system is the largest mental health "care" (snort!) system in our country. Beyond sad...deplorable.

*edit~ Ah, I was right! From an interview in Aug. 2003 (see transcript): http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/transcripts/s917604.htm

"Andrew Denton: Welcome, Mark. Now, who is Mark Read and who is Chopper and which one am I talking to tonight?

Mark Read, author: Well, you're talking to, er… Well, you're talking to whoever you want to be talking to. Who do you want?

Andrew Denton: Mark Read. What's the difference?

Mark Read: Ask for Mark Read and you talk to Mark Read.

Andrew Denton: What's the difference?

Mark Read: Er…I don't know. You tell me. What is the difference?

Andrew Denton: I can't tell you. I'm not you.

Mark Read: I don't know what the difference is. One's a nickname that I was given when I was in Grade 2. It came from a 'Yakky Doodle' cartoon, Hanna-Barbera. 'Yakky Doodle', er… Chopper and Yakky — a little duck and a big dog. That's where it come from. A cartoon. The fact that I went on to do other things, that the nickname sort of blended in with it was… I mean, where would I be today if they had've nicknamed me 'Fluffy', you know?

Andrew Denton: More to the point, where would the nickname 'Fluffy' be today?

Mark Read: Where would Fluffy be, yeah?"

LOL!

...given the nickname while in second grade...maybe he was biting people. Disturbed kids do.

Last edited:

john reguerra

Patron with Honors
Well, having studied Scientology, you should know that the first question a tech trained Scientologist would ask is: who do you mean by "all those Ex-Int Base Staff?" because you know that speaking in such generalities is one of the signs of an SP, right? And all that natter would seem to indicate that you have some MWH against the people you are complaining about. Sorry, that was bad. Now I may have introverted you or caused you to feel defensive. You can relax. I don't really believe that. I'm just trying to make a point here, which is this: THERE IS NOT NOW NOR HAS THERE EVER BEEN "STANDARD TECH". LRH never developed anything that will "clear the planet." That's a myth that was never going to happen. If any ex-Int base staff are still trying to clear the planet, I can only hope they won't waste the rest of their lives in doing so. And I don't know why you think you are in a position to say what any of them should be doing with their lives, anyway. Hey, LRH couldn't clear the planet. What makes you think you know how to do it?
From your answer I noticed that you have not read the full sequence. here there are some clues and the specifics. ( For your info I have been SP declare 12 years ago ) 1. Int exec staff are those staff who have been at Int from 1979. From there the Bridge has been changed. OT levels have been lost and a Snr C/S Int announced the changes and the NOTs. To make sure this is fully understood LRH DID WROTE NO ISSUE, DID NOT COMMUNICATE ON TAPE OR VIDEO THAT THE BRIDGE HAS BEEN CHANGED AND THAT NOTs IS HIS. Those Int exec and staff have participate (or watched) to crash LRH family without moving a single muscle to help them. 2. (THERE IS NOT NOW NOR HAS THERE EVER BEEN "STANDARD TECH". ) This sentence is not fully correct yes from 1979 to pt in the Church there is no standard tech. 3. (LRH never developed anything that will "clear the planet." That's a myth that was never going to happen.) There are so many evidence that LRH did developed the tech . Dianetics make clear it is true that after you reach clear you can unclear yourself. That is the reason that a Clear is on an non interference zone. But you are not in danger you never will reach clear so you will not be in an non interference zone. 4. (And I don't know why you think you are in a position to say what any of them should be doing with their lives, anyway.) They can do whatever they like but is not right they pretend to do good when they are just interested on money and power and not to clear the planet. 5.(Hey, LRH couldn't clear the planet. What makes you think you know how to do it?) I noticed that you have a full knowledge that never was a standard tech without it how you can clear a planet. To clear a planet you need a standard tech. But as you know ARC,KRC, postulate, auditing Clear and OT etc etc do not exist all those that said that they had wins well they are lairs . Hey you close me when you are dead you are dead.