Arnie Lerma needs help down under - a trip to a library

Outethicsofficer

Silver Meritorious Patron
Arnie,

I will go and get a National Library card and see what can be done to get you some sort of a copy of the book you mention, I live in Canberra so it's no trouble, hopefully I can report a 'done sir' this afternoon.
Cheers
James

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Coolness abides! ^^^^^^^^ Am curious to see some scans of this obscure booklette too (please please please ~ *bribe*> :cake:)

:)

Outethicsofficer

Silver Meritorious Patron
Arnie
I have ordered a pdf copy which will take 5 working days to get to me. It is going to be emailed to me I will fwd it as soon as I get it. Pm me your email address. This work is out of copyright which us good so it could be copied. Couldn't get it quicker than this for you. And no charge...it's my gift.

Cheers
James

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
Arnie
I have ordered a pdf copy which will take 5 working days to get to me. It is going to be emailed to me I will fwd it as soon as I get it. Pm me your email address. This work is out of copyright which us good so it could be copied. Couldn't get it quicker than this for you. And no charge...it's my gift.

Cheers
James

this is greaaaaart!!
When I get it Ill stick in the lermanet.com/reference/

directory...

THEN I'll post link here and THEN start reading it...

Thank you,

arnie lerma

This guy was one prolific author! I think I have his book on George Fox and one on the Countryside.

Did not know he was so much into Spiritualism (my Grandparents were raised in it).

Will look forward to reading this, too. :thumbsup:(I looked for a more local source for you Arnie, and did not find one)

Thanks Scooter! :clap:

RogerB

Crusader
This guy was one prolific author! I think I have his book on George Fox and one on the Countryside.

Did not know he was so much into Spiritualism (my Grandparents were raised in it).

Will look forward to reading this, too. :thumbsup:(I looked for a more local source for you Arnie, and did not find one)

Thanks Scooter! :clap:

Yes, there was founded around that time, in London, the British Spiritualist Society. Spiritualism was a relatively big subject, and the Ozzies, in 1900, considered themselves very much Britons (British) . . . Oz was federated as a sovereign nation (no longer a colony of England) in 1901.

So it is not surprising that this guy was writing on this subject at that time.

I visited the Brit Spiritualist Soc. when I was in London, and I would not be surprised what treasures it has in its library . . . though the society is likely now a shadow of its former self.

However, what is worth remembering is that the British and Oz system requires all publications be sent to their respective national libraries . . . up till about 1960, this also meant the Ozzies had to send stuff to England as well as Canberra.

Glad the National Library is able to provide James an "electronic" copy. The NSW Pub Library is the place that said they had a copy, and that is the one I thought would be digitized. That library I have dealt with to successfully get such.

Rog

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Yes, there was founded around that time, in London, the British Spiritualist Society.

Here is their history page from the Spiritualist Association of Great Britain's website. My mother was a good friend of one of the mediums mentioned on that history page, illustrated her books etc. I only went once (to a lecture) when I was about 13, although I saw the friend several times.

Paul

RogerB

Crusader
Here is their history page from the Spiritualist Association of Great Britain's website. My mother was a good friend of one of the mediums mentioned on that history page, illustrated her books etc. I only went once (to a lecture) when I was about 13, although I saw the friend several times.

Paul

Nice, Paul.

They didn't have an internet presence when I met them in the mid-'60's:biggrin::biggrin:

I see Air Chief Marshal Lord Dowding is famously noted as a spiritualist:coolwink::coolwink::yes:

He's the genius behind winning the (air) Battle of Britain . . . but also the fellow I have earlier mentioned in the vein of spirituality and as an adviser to Churchill with that Austrian Johannas Stein (?spelling/name) on how to combat the dark occult think of Hitler.

I met the Dowdings as members of the Vegetarian Society community.

They have a nice set of Principles:
We believe in an Infinite Intelligence, Who governs all

We believe that personal identity and all sentient forms of life survive physical death

We believe that continuous existence and eternal progress occur for all in the Hereafter

We believe in communion with the spiritual realms

We believe that all of humanity is spiritually linked

We believe that in the Hereafter, all must account for their actions on earth and will judge themselves accordingly

We believe that all are responsible for the way they conduct their earthly lives.

Rog

Ahhh...my dear ancestors!!! :biglove: Yes, this zeitgeist did influence my family a lot: "We believe in an Infinite Intelligence, Who governs all. We believe that personal identity and all sentient forms of life survive physical death. We believe that continuous existence and eternal progress occur for all in the Hereafter. We believe in communion with the spiritual realms. We believe that all of humanity is spiritually linked. We believe that in the Hereafter, all must account for their actions on earth and will judge themselves accordingly. We believe that all are responsible for the way they conduct their earthly lives.

:rose: (Much Love to them all!) :rose:

Yes, it was a big "religious" movement here in America during the same time frame. I still have my Great-Grandmother's crystal gazing ball (no kidding) and have some papers that my Grandmother did that were "automatic writing", a form of trance mediumship.

There are still some Spiritualist churches and societies here in Southern California (I have visited the Ontario one in the past with a friend): http://www.yronwode.org/Spiritual-Spiritist-Spiritualist-Churches-in-California.html

...and other groups which have grown out of them and morphed into other entities such as: http://www.par-riverside.org/

And San Jose, a little north of us, has these two fascinating places which I have explored: http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/
and http://www.egyptianmuseum.org/

So in some ways it's still a part of our "culture" here. :)

:biggrin:

Paul, if I asked you nicely, :prettyplease: would you please list the books which your Mother illustrated and/or scan in the pictures, if they are available to you? I'd be interested in both seeing the illustrations that your Mother did and reading the writing done by your Mom's Medium friend. TA! :happydance:

Last edited:

Mystic

Crusader
This sure moves us on from the stuck point of Nordenholz's "Scientologie"-- which I think was published around 1934.

Hey, don't knock 1934; I was born in that year. But, much better, so was Brigitte Bardot.

This sure moves us on from the stuck point of Nordenholz's "Scientologie"-- which I think was published around 1934.

Hey, don't knock 1934; I was born in that year. But, much better, so was Brigitte Bardot.

:biggrin:

Then:
images

and now:
images

A beautiful woman!

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Paul, if I asked you nicely, :prettyplease: would you please list the books which your Mother illustrated and/or scan in the pictures, if they are available to you? I'd be interested in both seeing the illustrations that your Mother did and reading the writing done by your Mom's Medium friend. TA! :happydance:

Sorry, dunno which ones. The medium's name is Ursula Roberts, and my mother's name was Audrey Adams (possibly A.R. Adams) or Audrey Ward. I haven't included her maiden name as it is non-applicable. The few illustrations I remember were things like flowers rather than of a woo-woo nature.

Paul

Zhent

Leakus Maximus
Arnie

Cheers
James

It is perhaps a bit late, but its worth mentioning the NLA has self service scanning facilities. In the bank of public computers look for one with a scanner attached. Simply bring a USB drive and scan like you would with any home scanner.

Oh, and the service is free, did I mention that? :)

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
What does this do to the trademark?

Can I legally set up a shop called Scientology Fried Chicken?

Oh yeh baby! You pay fer the food, and pay to crapo it out too!

The gift that keeps on giving! Yay!

:eyeroll:

Ediot> Iffin i am not mistaken, the issue here is the copyright of 'scientology' name, hm, ain't gonna happen \i think because it was not an origional thought, but IANAL.

(r/e ediot, that be moi)

:)

Sorry, dunno which ones. The medium's name is Ursula Roberts, and my mother's name was Audrey Adams (possibly A.R. Adams) or Audrey Ward. I haven't included her maiden name as it is non-applicable. The few illustrations I remember were things like flowers rather than of a woo-woo nature.

Paul

Ah, I LOVE woo-woo flowers and such! TA Paul, I shall search for them! :thumbsup:

Well, I found her, and here is a good website tribute to her work, as well as a book list:

http://website.lineone.net/~enlightenment/ursula_roberts.htm

"Some Books by Ursula Roberts:
All About Mediumship (1994)
Wisdom of Ramadahn
(Regency Press: 1985)
More Wisdom of Ramadahn
(Regency Press: 1992)
Living in Two Worlds
(Regency Press: 1984)
A Story of Moses (Regency Press: 1973)

You can also search the web for a host of smaller spiritual teaching booklets and pamphlets written by Ursula Roberts, and their titles include:
Look at the Aura - and Learn:
(Greater World Association, 1975).
Hints for Healers:
(Greater World Association, 1949).
Hints on Mediumistic Development
Hints on Spiritual Unfoldment (1964)
The Mystery of the Human Aura:
(Spiritualist Association of Great Britain, 1950)
Hints for Harmony of Body & Soul
Colour Healing for The New Age
The Importance of Incarnation
Letters Between Healers
Spiritual Virtues in the Aura

Prolific, wasn't she? :)

Is this her, Paul?
ursula_roberts.jpg

Your Mom didn't just illustrate, she is listed as compiler and transcriber from taped trance sessions, of the book "The Wisdom of Ramadahn". In some locations she is listed as co-author. Evidently your Mom did most of the actual organization and authorship of this book, Paul. :)

"WISDOM OF RAMADAHN by Ursula Roberts / 1985 / 136 pages.

Compiled by Audrey Ward, In this thought provoking volume appear the answers to countless questions put to a spirit sage regarding life both here and in the spirit world. Ursula Roberts, an author of some of the best books you will ever read. This book has been compiled from the teachings of Ramadahn, a spirit guide speaking through his entranced medium Ursula Roberts. His tape recorded words have been transcribed by Murial Hill & Audrey Ward in the hope they will give a measure of comfort, upliftment, or guidance at a moment when you are in need. When reading it is some times necessary to remember that he frequently refers to human people as spirits, meaning spirits incarnate in human bodies. This may confuse readers accustomed to thinking of spirits only as discarnate entities."

I think this was the original cover:
114892c008a066da0a90c010.L.jpg

And this was the re-issue:
d29e92c008a086da0a90c010.L.jpg

Okay, now I really want to read it! :happydance: