What's new

Attempted Suicide in Scientology

Osiris

Patron with Honors
The Fastest I ever seen any one routed off Scientology & out of the Org...... & told there was nothing they could do for him......& they didn't want him back there again.

I had been appointed the Ethics Officer & I had only been in the Post for about a week, (only been on Staff for about a week also, back in about 1990)

When a guy was sent to my Office....& I was told that he had tried to commit suicide earlier that day (at the org I think...)

I could talk to him OK.....he was not abusive or violent, So not knowing the ropes or what to do...... I sort of sympathized with him & just pointed out that suicide was not the Solution......thinking to myself that the Organization would be able to help him in some way.....after all they were the Experts on the Mind & claimed they could Fix anything

After about an hour I was visited by the Flag Representative, the Flag Representative Asked me what was going on with this Guy in my office.... I said that he had tried to commit suicide that day & he was doing some Handlings,

The Flag Representative became very agitated.....& started asking the Guy, "Are you Hungry" "are you OK" nothing else, & he told me to "go up to Qual & find a Handling" for this Situation (in a very stern voice) while he watched the Guy

When I got upstairs to Qualifications..... They said they Knew about it.... ( & he had been there that day)

I said that the Flag Representative was Insisting that you find a Handling for this Situation NOW!!!......

The Flag Representative also told me that Someone had committed Suicide in an org that he was at previously, & He said he could not believe the amount of "Heat" that was put on his lines because of it, & the trouble it had caused....

Qual then took the guy out of the Ethics Office & took him upstairs...... to find a handling

About an hour later..... I was told that there was nothing we could do for this Guy.... & that he was a risk to the Organization, if He committed suicide while on Scientology lines.....& that he was being routed off.... & would not be allowed back in the Org again,

They also said that they had talked to his Family & told them that there was nothing Scientology could do for him

At the end of this, He was routed out of the Org.... & Myself & someone else drove him to his home.

I also seem to remember/think that he was a Sea Org person, at the beginning of the day & when he tried to commit suicide.....he was quickly routed out off the Sea Org & put on the Lines of the Class IV Org...

I think to myself now that this was a very sad thing.... & I don't know of any help that was given to him......Scientology was very quickly trying to cover their own asses....

Last edited:

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
Re: Suicide in Scientology

The Fastest I ever seen any one routed off Scientology & out of the Org...... & told there was nothing they could do for him......& they didn't want him back there again.
<snip>
......Scientology was very quickly trying to cover their own asses...

scn is more concerned with it's own image than the welfare of any individual member.

That they shamelessly demonstrate on an almost continual basis without shame or regret.

And, that attitude of hooray for us and to hell with you spells trouble.

...and kills some people....Lisa McPherson was one of many.

Gadfly

Crusader
A potential suicide is a HUGE source of potential trouble for Scientology. While possibly not stated in that manner, it IS a "PTS" situation for the org.

Isn't there some rule where "suicide attempts" are NOT to be allowed on lines?

ANY person involved in any situation that might bring negative PR to Scientology is considered a potential source of trouble (trouble for the org and for Scientology). The main concern of Scientology is and has always been, based on much exact LRH policy, in "maintaining good PR", and is NOT and has never been aimed at "helping people". :no: :no: :no:

At best, Scientology will assert that it is there to "make the able more able". But if you aren't "able" (and not fucked up in any way, in their eyes) already, then then don't want you, and they have NOTHING for you. It is incredibly discriminative in that regard.

They try to filter out every possible person who might bring them bad PR in any regard, and then they act as if they "can help everybody". Bullshit! :yes:

Knowing the trouble Hubbard's own Sea Org member son's suicide could have caused the Church and Hubbard, I am curious if policies making it difficult for "suicide attempts" to get services or come on staff appeared shortly after that suicide incident with Hubbard's son. Anyone know?

Last edited:

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
The priorities of Scientology are very clear:

If you're rich and willing to give them money, they don't care what your quals are, they'll make allowances (through petitions), or just have you do straight donations for buildings, etc.

Once the money runs out, if you become a PR problem, seem suicidal, etc, you're kicked to the curb.

Pretty simple.

All of Scientology's policies are aimed at protecting the orgs, trying to maintain the fake positive image for LRH and Scientology, and keeping inconvenient people off the lines.

Osiris

Patron with Honors
I also think about, What bought this Guy to the point of attempting Suicide....?

And how, Helping & Protecting Human Life, was not a priority of the organization at that time.....(or was previously ...or is now ?)

How many other stories about forced abortion & covering up of "accidental" deaths in Scientology, (all in the Name of "Good PR for the Church")..... have come out since...& are still coming out

Also, How very easy it was for them to Get him off All Scientology lines & communications, (mailing lists, Call in lists, Search lists....etc) & Routing out Handlings were all completed in one day.... etc...

& The difference in treatment to the rest of us, who just wanted to leave "on good terms" & be left alone...... but are hounded for 20 years plus by the organization... (with what amounts to harassment & invasion of privacy)

I just felt This Guys story of Attempted Suicide needed to be told..... & is now part of the record on this board

Life is a Precious thing... & loss of life is very sad.

Miss Pert

Silver Meritorious Patron
The priorities of Scientology are very clear:

If you're rich and willing to give them money, they don't care what your quals are, they'll make allowances (through petitions), or just have you do straight donations for buildings, etc.

Once the money runs out, if you become a PR problem, seem suicidal, etc, you're kicked to the curb.

Pretty simple.

All of Scientology's policies are aimed at protecting the orgs, trying to maintain the fake positive image for LRH and Scientology, and keeping inconvenient people off the lines.

This makes the most sense to me. I have mentioned before that I worked with a young girl at Syd Org who had attempted suicide several times, she was only 16 or 17. She was kept on staff and I was supposed to be auditing her. She tried to leave staff and was told by the HAS, who was holding the position of Ethics Officer from above, that if she left she would never survive in the wog world. I think the only reason they kept her on was because her father is one of the highest contributors to the Idle Org fund.

I also did a PTS handling on a guy they were trying to sign up for auditing who had attempted suicide a couple of years earlier. I must admit I was surprised they were giving me potentially suicidal PCs considering I was only an intern. Maybe they thought if something went wrong they could blame it on the inexperienced auditor. :confused2:

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
This makes the most sense to me. I have mentioned before that I worked with a young girl at Syd Org who had attempted suicide several times, she was only 16 or 17. She was kept on staff and I was supposed to be auditing her. She tried to leave staff and was told by the HAS, who was holding the position of Ethics Officer from above, that if she left she would never survive in the wog world. I think the only reason they kept her on was because her father is one of the highest contributors to the Idle Org fund.

I also did a PTS handling on a guy they were trying to sign up for auditing who had attempted suicide a couple of years earlier. I must admit I was surprised they were giving me potentially suicidal PCs considering I was only an intern. Maybe they thought if something went wrong they could blame it on the inexperienced auditor. :confused2:

This actually makes sense and I can see the management trying to suck every last dime out of said person, while heading off any potential PR damage that could occur, why oh why am I not the least surprised :shrug:
As far as I am concerned the whole scam is designed to drive people up and over the wall, while leaving enough sanity so the checks don't bounce because the families have them declared incompetent (something like that, um).
Whether its signing over grandma's house, making up phoney school loans, running your credit into the ground, begging from your family, scamming fellow humans, selling your belongings, calling you a 'volunteer' while showing you how to scam welfare from the taxpayers, and outright stealing from you, what-ever, there are few rocks low enough that the 'Ethical Ones' haven't crawled under to KSW and keep the lucre flowing.
:grouch::grouch: