What's new

Auditing away cognitive dissonance

Veda

Sponsor
This whole thing sort of leaves me a bit baffled. My whole auditing experience, and indeed, most of my Scio experience did nothing to alleviate cognitive dissonance. In fact, the opposite seemed to be true. Going over my experiences, I feel like i was absolutely conditioned to be comfortable within the framework of cognitive dissonance. It seemed to be encouraged.

I still have some difficulties with this to this day; I can't do particular guided relaxation or certain yoga, as I trigger right back into the dissociative state that became my method of survival within the cult.

If you were comfortable with cognitive dissonance you didn't have much cognitive dissonance. :)

That disassociation you mentioned is the lack of the discomfort normally accompanying cognitive dissonance.

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
If you were comfortable with cognitive dissonance you didn't have much cognitive dissonance. :)

Being aware of seeming contradictions and other issues in Scientology, and being uncomfortable enough to leave Scientology because of that discomfort, are not the same thing.

That disassociation you mentioned is the lack of the discomfort normally accompanying cognitive dissonance.

Probably didn't explain myself well... I spent a lot of time in major mental pain. Sounds stupid to say it, but there were times when it felt like my internal self was being ripped apart completely. Disassociation was definitely a coping mechanism I developed. The whole feeling suicidal at all times became a bit taxing... YMMV.

Don't get me started on all the papers I've read and folks I've talked to when looking into the subject of cognitive dissonance... I'd bore everyone to hell (do that anyway at times, but meh).

Veda

Sponsor
Probably didn't explain myself well... I spent a lot of time in major mental pain. Sounds stupid to say it, but there were times when it felt like my internal self was being ripped apart completely.

-snip-

At the time this was occurring, as a Scientologist, what did you tell yourself was happening?

If you'd prefer not to pursue the topic, that's OK too. :)

Loohan

Am I Mettaya?
Re: Auditing away cogitive dissonance

Did you have a lot of money?

People with money, celebs, and friends of celebs, or friends of people with money, received better treatment. :)

No; this was before i joined staff, but probably the laser-print-selling boom had fizzled by then. Maybe if i was wealthy they would have tried to sell me word-clearing or something, but i doubt i would have sprung for that as i was convinced it was not a matter of word definitions.
Problem is, in that book LRH made certain statements of "fact" that are scientifically indefensible. Like, one should drink more milk in the event of a nuclear release (which landed on the grass that the milk cows ate - i think they still ate grass back in those days instead of GMO grain and soybeans and licorice and marshmallows).

FoTi

Crusader

People with money, celebs, and friends of celebs, or friends of people with money, received better treatment. :)

People with money experienced a lot heavier regging and pressure to give what they owned to the cult along with any money their relatives or friends might have that they could get their hands on....and didn't necessarily receive any better treatment. Anybody who got conned into joining staff got the worst treatment....especially those who joined the Sea Org.

Some people who had a lot of money and spent it on the cult ended up flipping out, murdering someone else, neglecting or abandoning their kids, committing suicide or just dying......and that didn't happen because they received better treatment.:no:

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron

Only top celebrities receive better treatment. I have witnessed staff members "love bombing" illegal PC's who have tons of money - and they get it one way or the other.

The staff make sure they tell everyone (public included) that these people are "illegal PC's behind their backs so if the person ever figures out they were fleeced and complains - cult members will ignore them.

The tech is the tech though and even people like Tom Cruise, who got the biggest "dog and pony show" from the leader, David Miscavige, got smashed by it.

Notice he is not "doing anything about it" anymore. Katie Holmes took him to the curb and she wasn't even OT!

Why isn't Tom having a blast anymore? Why is he not making more videos to be played to the clubbed seals? Why is he in hiding if he is so powerful as Miscavige convinced him to be?