What's new

Aussie recruits have dwindled to virtually zero

triumph

Silver Meritorious Patron
Sydney Morning Herald

Australian recruits have dwindled to virtually zero': Scientology struggles in NSW
by Ben Wier

Scientology describes itself as the world’s fastest-growing religion but the organisation's numbers in NSW are dwindling with the church reliant on overseas devotees, defectors claim.
The organisation has properties worth millions across the CBD, Chatswood and Dundas and in 2017, doubled its national revenue to nearly $40 million, the latest published financial records show. But it is struggling to find new recruits in Sydney, defector Paul Schofield said.
"Australian recruits have dwindled to virtually zero as media coverage and access to the Internet has ensured the truth about the cult is well-known here," Mr Schofield said.

more@link
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...ntology-struggles-in-nsw-20190112-p50qzy.html

twofer
Daily Mail
EXCLUSIVE: 'School holidays - the perfect time for the Bridge to Total Freedom': Church of Scientology under fire for promoting 'purification' program to Australian KIDS with free ice blocks

A controversial Scientology detox program is being promoted to children with promises of free ice blocks, juice and games.
Critics have lashed the anti-drugs and anti-psychiatry church for promoting the intense 'purification rundown' to Melbourne school kids.
'This school holiday is the perfect time to get your kids on the Bridge to Total Freedom,' an internal email sent to Scientologists said.
'If you secure the Purification Rundown for your child with Melbourne foundation, they will receive the Kids Purif Pack.'

more@link
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...gy-fire-promoting-detox-program-children.html

incognito

I have a hard time with the fact that Scientologists in Australia actually believe that Scn is expanding like never before but that is how it is.

The_Fixer

Class Clown
We even used to believe that, fish did indeed swim.

On a more serious note, I always thought that the purif was only for those who had done drugs?

Unless they've changed that one too to open the doors for more potential income.

pineapple

We even used to believe that, fish did indeed swim.

On a more serious note, I always thought that the purif was only for those who had done drugs?

Unless they've changed that one too to open the doors for more potential income.
Scientology's concept of "doing drugs" is very broad and includes common over-the-counter and medical drugs such as novocaine, aspirin, etc. To their way of thinking everyone has done drugs and needs to do the Purif.

screamer2

Idiot Bastardson
"Aussie recruits have dwindled to virtually zero"

Good. Let's not stop until it's in the high negative numbers...

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Scientology's concept of "doing drugs" is very broad and includes common over-the-counter and medical drugs such as novocaine, aspirin, etc. To their way of thinking everyone has done drugs and needs to do the Purif.
The Purif was also supposed to handle the effects of pollution on the body, including radioactive fallout (reason for the niacin)

Leland

Crusader
Many Cultures have had interest in saunas....

Japanese have there baths/soaking tubs...

I guess the Swedes have saunas as a regular regimen.

Steam baths and massages were a regular thing in the States...back awhile...

Indian sweat lodges....

Roman times...baths...and scapulars....

I just think a one time beyond rigorous program such as the Cult's Purif is dangerous....and not really valid. Plus reports I've read make it sound like it has become even more rigorous...without regard to age or physical health.

Just seems more of "Hubbard's way" or leave. There is lots of Cult indoctrination involved.

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Jeez, and I thought it was mainly for those who did illicit drugs.
Was I mistaken or was that the original purpose?

pineapple

Jeez, and I thought it was mainly for those who did illicit drugs.
Was I mistaken or was that the original purpose?
There was a forerunner (pun intended) called the Sweat Program which was aimed primarily at LSD users. One didn't sit in a sauna to sweat, but ran in a rubber suit! This evolved into the more wide-reaching Purif.

pineapple

The Purif was also supposed to handle the effects of pollution on the body, including radioactive fallout (reason for the niacin)
Right, I forgot about the fallout!

When I got into scn they had all the LRH books sitting out in reception, where you could pick them up and browse. (I hear they're now shrink-wrapped so you can't go out-exchange by reading them without paying.) I remember skimming "All About Radiation" and thinking it was a load of BS. At the time I still thought "nothing in scn is true except what's true for you," so I didn't think I'd ever have to believe this nonsense. Little did I know the Purif was only a few years down the road.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
There was a forerunner (pun intended) called the Sweat Program which was aimed primarily at LSD users. One didn't sit in a sauna to sweat, but ran in a rubber suit! This evolved into the more wide-reaching Purif.
When LRH was piloting the Purif, using SO members as guinea pigs, one of his bright ideas was to have us drink a cup of vegetable oil. We soon found out that drinking that much vegetable oil has a strong laxative effect.:nervous:

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Thanks for that. I had forgotten it was the sweat program. Got the two confused.

So the purify is the one that took over, once they figured it would make them more money.

The_Fixer

Class Clown
When LRH was piloting the Purif, using SO members as guinea pigs, one of his bright ideas was to have us drink a cup of vegetable oil. We soon found out that drinking that much vegetable oil has a strong laxative effect.:nervous:
Good thing if you need to slide down the hallways on your butt, I guess. :no:

pineapple

Thanks for that. I had forgotten it was the sweat program. Got the two confused.

So the purify is the one that took over, once they figured it would make them more money.
Yeah, I'd guess it's easier to get people to sit in a sauna than to run in a rubber suit, too. Staff and SO were kind of a captive audience. They could be ordered to do things, but public weren't so easy.

When the LSD Sweat Program came out, we tried it for a while. We ran and everything, but NOT in rubber suits. This was in Hawaii where it's 85°F and sunny every day; rubber suits just would've seemed too insane, so we squirreled it to that extent. (Not that we had any rubber suits on hand anyway.) We didn't do it for very long. I forget why we stopped.

A lot of things in scn were like that. Something suddenly became crashingly important and everyone had to do it at once if not sooner, then suddenly it wasn't important anymore but something else was. It was almost like LRH or whoever was thinking these thing up didn't really know WTF they were doing. Hmm ... :questions:

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
I had to do the Purif even though I'd never taken illegal drugs and had taken much lower than average medical drugs. The reason they gave was that my Dianetics "book 1" auditing wasn't working because my memory wasn't very good! That was not only evaluation but I was also insulted because I thought I had a good memory but at the time I was new so I went along with it.

Then, after the Purif proved to be a complete waste of time and my book 1 auditing still wasn't going anywhere I was told that the reason it wasn't working was because I needed to learn how to communicate with my bank so they put me on the communication course. That was another evaluation and insult but again I went along with it (for a while).

Then, having blown from the comm course and been recovered and my book 1 auditing still not working I was sent to an Advanced org to be handled. Soon after this my book 1 auditor blew from staff and was never seen again.

The only reason I persisted with all of this was because I had read the Dianetics book and I believed it. That was my big mistake.

pineapple

I had to do the Purif even though I'd never taken illegal drugs and had taken much lower than average medical drugs. The reason they gave was that my Dianetics "book 1" auditing wasn't working because my memory wasn't very good! That was not only evaluation but I was also insulted because I thought I had a good memory but at the time I was new so I went along with it.

Then, after the Purif proved to be a complete waste of time and my book 1 auditing still wasn't going anywhere I was told that the reason it wasn't working was because I needed to learn how to communicate with my bank so they put me on the communication course. That was another evaluation and insult but again I went along with it (for a while).

Then, having blown from the comm course and been recovered and my book 1 auditing still not working I was sent to an Advanced org to be handled. Soon after this my book 1 auditor blew from staff and was never seen again.

The only reason I persisted with all of this was because I had read the Dianetics book and I believed it. That was my big mistake.
No eval/inval is only in session. "I promise not to evaluate for the preclear or tell him what he should think about his case in session." The rest of the time it's open season.

Often I'd take a staff member in session, do an L1C "on post" or something and get him cleaned up nicely, and then see his senior tear into him as soon as he walked away from the examiner. I could see that F/N at exams just melt away ... The guy had his ruds in for maybe 2 minutes before someone put them out again.

Made me wonder why I even bothered. I finally decided it wasn't worth the effort.