What's new

Aussie recruits have dwindled to virtually zero

Voodoo

Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow
We even used to believe that, fish did indeed swim.

On a more serious note, I always thought that the purif was only for those who had done drugs?

Unless they've changed that one too to open the doors for more potential income.
I was receiving Dianetic auditing at ASHO in 1980 from my boss, who was doing her internship. Well, I was having a grand old time until one day I show up for session and get pulled into an office with some tech terminal who tells me that I can't continue with the auditing.

I balked and told the guy I didn't need to do it. I even remind him of the policy that says you never interrupt a student or pc who's in the middle of a major action. No go. He produces an HCOB that says everyone must do the Purif. He points to the word "everyone" and says, "You see that? It says EVERYONE, which means you!"

I was so upset that I walked out of the org and didn't go back for a solid year.

No, there's no forbearance for those without drug histories. The organization compels all of their members to do that rundown.

One last bit to my story. I eventually succumbed and returned to LAFDN to do the Purif. After thirty days of no change, I realized I'd already 'run out' the residual drugs in my system while working on a loading dock. The C/S writes me back, "I'd like to indicate that you ran the drugs out of your system in life."

So I was right all along. I knew I didn't need to do the Purif.
I could have smacked somebody. :storm:

Last edited:

Voodoo

There was a forerunner (pun intended) called the Sweat Program which was aimed primarily at LSD users. One didn't sit in a sauna to sweat, but ran in a rubber suit! This evolved into the more wide-reaching Purif.
I have a family member who did that pilot in the SO. It was one of the early breaks in reality I had with the cult, but I sort of filed it in the back of my head at the time.

Little did I know how thick that file would become.

Last edited:

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron
The C/S writes me back, "I'd like to indicate that you ran the drugs out of your system in life."

So I was right all along. I knew I didn't need to do the Purif.
Drugs don't stay in the body the way Hubbard claimed, so really nobody needs to do the Purif. We all run the drugs out of our systems in life.

The doctors contacted by The Chronicle agreed that drug residue can remain in fat for a short time, but not indefinitely.
“The longest we know that THC (the active substance in marijuana) stays in the fat is about a month. For ecstasy and LSD, we’re talking about a day or two,” said Dr. Neal Benowitz , head of clinical pharmacology at UCSF.
Drs. Benowitz, Banys and Cermak dismissed the idea that niacin and sauna can rid the body of drugs, as did Dr. David Smith of the Haight-Ashbury Free Clinic and Dr. Igor Grant at UC San Diego.

https://tonyortega.org/2013/06/11/precious-bodily-fluids-scientology-and-the-purification-rundown/

Voodoo

The doctors contacted by The Chronicle agreed that drug residue can remain in fat for a short time, but not indefinitely.

“The longest we know that THC (the active substance in marijuana) stays in the fat is about a month. For ecstasy and LSD, we’re talking about a day or two,” said Dr. Neal Benowitz , head of clinical pharmacology at UCSF.
I ran out marijuana, LSD, angel dust, benzedrine, cocaine, and other various street drugs in life by working the freight dock.

I remember shortly after I started on the job I would get major drug flashbacks during my lunch breaks. It went on every day for about a week, then gradually tampered off to nothing.

That was nine years after I'd stopped taking street drugs.

I never did take much doctor prescribed medicine. Mostly Novocaine and the occasional antibiotics.

pineapple

I ran out marijuana, LSD, angel dust, benzedrine, cocaine, and other various street drugs in life by working the freight dock.

I remember shortly after I started on the job I would get major drug flashbacks during my lunch breaks. It went on every day for about a week, then gradually tampered off to nothing.

That was nine years after I'd stopped taking street drugs.

I never did take much doctor prescribed medicine. Mostly Novocaine and the occasional antibiotics.
I'm not a doctor ...
ELEnj0RW_400x400.jpg

but per the article I linked above, if you were still having flashbacks nine years after taking drugs, they were not caused by drugs stored in the body, because your body just doesn't store them that long. The article suggests a different mechanism for flashbacks, which sounds like it's still just a theory.

I did all the drugs you mention and only remember having one flashback (acid), and that was while I was still doing drugs and had just smoked some good hash. Nothing of note happened; it was just like I was high on acid again for a little while.

Last edited:

Voodoo

...per the article I linked above, if you were still having flashbacks nine years after taking drugs, they were not caused by drugs stored in the body, because your body just doesn't store them that long. The article suggests a different mechanism for flashbacks, which sounds like it's still just a theory.
Egghead medical theories aside, I know what I experienced during break times at the freight doc was real drug flashbacks. I recognized the 'high' feelings immediately. At the time I had no idea why I was having them, and was greatly relieved when they stopped.

Here's the thing that clinches it for me. I hadn't done any sort of manual work, heavy exercise, or physically intensive sports since quitting drugs at eighteen. It was nine years later when I was first employed as a dock hand that I began doing heavy manual labor again, and that was my first experience with flashbacks.

Coincidence? I don't think so, because it's the only time I've ever experienced that, and two, because it faded away, never to return, after only a week's duration.

Oh, and those freight trailers were easily 140F degrees inside when we were unloading them. Remind you of anything?

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Egghead medical theories aside, I know what I experienced during break times at the freight doc was real drug flashbacks. I recognized the 'high' feelings immediately.
Exactly. Acid flashbacks with the purple/green pattern overlays were unmistakable. Happened to me a dozen times or more within 10 years after taking the stuff.

Wasn't "Years after they'd stopped taking LSD" or something like that the title of an HCOB? :biggrin:

Paul

pineapple

Egghead medical theories aside, I know what I experienced during break times at the freight doc was real drug flashbacks. I recognized the 'high' feelings immediately. At the time I had no idea why I was having them, and was greatly relieved when they stopped.

Here's the thing that clinches it for me. I hadn't done any sort of manual work, heavy exercise, or physically intensive sports since quitting drugs at eighteen. It was nine years later when I was first employed as a dock hand that I began doing heavy manual labor again, and that was my first experience with flashbacks.

Coincidence? I don't think so, because it's the only time I've ever experienced that, and two, because it faded away, never to return, after only a week's duration.

Oh, and those freight trailers were easily 140F degrees inside when we were unloading them. Remind you of anything?
I don't doubt that you had the flashbacks. That doesn't mean it's because the drugs were stored in your body for nine years, though.

Voodoo

Wasn't "Years after they'd stopped taking LSD" or something like that the title of an HCOB? :biggrin:

Paul
Sorry, I don't know anything about that issue, Paul. I was never technically trained, and I only worked in a Class V org for ten months during '73/'74 when I was twenty.

I eventually blew from that post because I needed to work full time for my young wife and child (who was on the way at the time). I had been asking my senior for six weeks or longer to help me route off staff the right way, but she always fed me some cock 'n bull excuse, and asked me to back to post.

After six weeks of that run-around, I'd had it. The financial pressures on me were nearing the breaking point, so one Saturday I just decided, that's it. I called the org and got my senior on the line. I flat out told her that was done with staff and would not be coming back in to route out properly.

As you can imagine, she went into a complete meltdown and threatened me with expulsion if I didn't come in for handling. I told her that I was sorry, but I had no choice. There was no way I could hack a foundation schedule and work full time while living 30 miles from the org.

That didn't faze her a bit, and she continued to threaten me with expulsion if I didn't comply. At that point I told her to do whatever she had to do, but I wasn't going to change my mind.

You know what? Nothing ever came of it. The next time I walked into that org, no one remembered a thing, and it never came up again during the subsequent decades. It was many years later that I found out why. I ran across an HCOPL while doing Staff Status I (for my company) which stated that Class V org staff can't be penalized for blowing unless they're Staff Status I or above.

After ten months on staff I was still Staff Status 0, which is considered an 'expediter'.

Sorry, but I never know what's going to spur me to tell more of my story. :D

Voodoo

I don't doubt that you had the flashbacks. That doesn't mean it's because the drugs were stored in your body for nine years, though.
Sorry, but I disagree. Something about working in those 140F degree trailers brought on those flashbacks, which had never happened in the prior nine years of sedentary life. It only happened when I was suddenly thrown into heavy physical labor involving a lot of heat and sweat.

Notably, the symptoms would also ease off after I sat down and cooled off, and only reappeared when I resumed that heavy physical activity. As I said before, it started during my first couple of days on the job, and completely ceased after about a week.

I'm not asking you to believe anything I say, but I know what happened to me, and it was residual drugs running out.

YMMV :coolwink:

pineapple

Sorry, but I disagree. Something about working in those 140F degree trailers brought on those flashbacks, which had never happened in the prior nine years of sedentary life. It only happened when I was suddenly thrown into heavy physical labor involving a lot of heat and sweat.

Notably, the symptoms would also ease off after I sat down and cooled off, and only reappeared when I resumed that heavy physical activity. As I said before, it started during my first couple of days on the job, and completely ceased after about a week.

I'm not asking you to believe anything I say, but I know what happened to me, and it was residual drugs running out.

YMMV :coolwink:
I believe you experienced what you say you experienced. But don't you think that could have happened without the drugs being physically stored in your body all that time? Couldn't doing physical labor in a 140°F trailer have turned stuff on without the drugs actually being in your body?

Voodoo

I believe you experienced what you say you experienced. But don't you think that could have happened without the drugs being physically stored in your body all that time? Couldn't doing physical labor in a 140°F trailer have turned stuff on without the drugs actually being in your body?
Before becoming a hard core street drug user I had a very active life, with lots of contact sports, bicycling, skating, running, wrestling, fistfights, and heavy manual labor in hot environments. In all that time, though I did a great deal of sweating, I never once experienced anything like what I experienced while working the freight dock.

During the subsequent decades of my life I spent dozens of years working in heavy manual labor situations, and never once experienced those symptoms again.

Coinkydink? I highly doubt it.

pineapple

"LSD -- Years After They Have Come Off Of LSD." HCOB 31 May 1977. (I just looked it up.)

Hubbard says at the beginning of that HCOB that his conclusions about LSD cases are based on observation of TWO CASES. That always struck me as so strange. Even assuming he was nuts, he must have realized that 2 cases was no basis for such sweeping conclusions.

Why didn't he at least LIE, and say it was based on hundreds of cases, or at least dozens? He could have lied and got away with it. Yet he didn't, when he must've known the tiny sample size was bound to raise some eyebrows.

Why? Was this a deliberate attempt to confuse us? A hypnotic technique, perhaps?

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
"LSD -- Years After They Have Come Off Of LSD." HCOB 31 May 1977. (I just looked it up.)

Hubbard says at the beginning of that HCOB that his conclusions about LSD cases are based on observation of TWO CASES. That always struck me as so strange. Even assuming he was nuts, he must have realized that 2 cases was no basis for such sweeping conclusions.

Why didn't he at least LIE, and say it was based on hundreds of cases, or at least dozens? He could have lied and got away with it. Yet he didn't, when he must've known the tiny sample size was bound to raise some eyebrows.
My thought at the time exactly. Maybe he thought it would look impressive since most of his previous research was based on a sample size of 1!

Paul

RogerB

Crusader
So much bullshit relative to the Purif . . . utter stupid.

In my life I have never, ever taken any drugs whatsoever . . . only some antibiotics, and a little aspirin as a kid.

Yet, "EVERYONE" HAS TO DO THE PURIF??

Like what would someone like me have to "run out"???!

AAaahh, we see the Hubbs had invented the catch-all that everyone has to run out . . . RADIATION FROM THE SUN!!

I kid you not! . . .

I actually went on up to a dose of 5,000mg of Niacin before I "ran out" the old sun burns and mega-exposure to the sunlight I so loved . . . growing up on the beaches of Sydney is like that: laying back to soak up some sun is de rigueur.

I'm bloody lucky I did not fry my brain in that bloody sauna!

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
So much bullshit relative to the Purif . . . utter stupid.

<snip>I'm bloody lucky I did not fry my brain in that bloody sauna!
And probably lucky not to have skin cancer from absorbing all that UV from the southern hemisphere sun.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Sorry, I don't know anything about that issue, Paul. I was never technically trained, and I only worked in a Class V org for ten months during '73/'74 when I was twenty.

I eventually blew from that post because I needed to work full time for my young wife and child (who was on the way at the time). I had been asking my senior for six weeks or longer to help me route off staff the right way, but she always fed me some cock 'n bull excuse, and asked me to back to post.

After six weeks of that run-around, I'd had it. The financial pressures on me were nearing the breaking point, so one Saturday I just decided, that's it. I called the org and got my senior on the line. I flat out told her that was done with staff and would not be coming back in to route out properly.

As you can imagine, she went into a complete meltdown and threatened me with expulsion if I didn't come in for handling. I told her that I was sorry, but I had no choice. There was no way I could hack a foundation schedule and work full time while living 30 miles from the org.

That didn't faze her a bit, and she continued to threaten me with expulsion if I didn't comply. At that point I told her to do whatever she had to do, but I wasn't going to change my mind.

You know what? Nothing ever came of it. The next time I walked into that org, no one remembered a thing, and it never came up again during the subsequent decades. It was many years later that I found out why. I ran across an HCOPL while doing Staff Status I (for my company) which stated that Class V org staff can't be penalized for blowing unless they're Staff Status I or above.

After ten months on staff I was still Staff Status 0, which is considered an 'expediter'.

Sorry, but I never know what's going to spur me to tell more of my story. :D
the way you get to be an executive in Scientology, is by getting the product by whatever means necessary. That includes lying through your teeth and browbeating people into working for free.

I knew a guy who finished his contract, and the ED told him he could not leave until he had recruited his own replacement. Totally arbitrary. He finally left, and they told him he was declared for blowing, and issued goldenrod on him. But then I looked at the issue, and there was no IJC approval, just the signature of the local CJC. It was totally invalid, but they gave this poor guy and his wife the runaround for months.

Last edited:

guanoloco

As-Wased
I always hesitate to post this for fear of validating Scientology but I used to have a desk right next to the purif sauna and I was the only one there. As a result everyone talked to me on the Purif.

On more than one occasion I saw sunburns "run out" where you could see the bathing suit lines plain as day. All of these sunburns were 30 years old or more.

On one occasion a purifee showed me these divits covering their arms. They looked like indents one gets when lying on a couch that has buttons sewn into the cushions. I asked the person what they had been leaning on and the answer was nothing. These were incidents when as a child an alcoholic parent would extinguish lit cigarettes on this person.

These weren't scars and they "ran out".

I have seen pupils dialated from psilocybin flashbacks and all sorts of stuff.

I personally witnessed this. Everything was decades old.

IDK what to say. I don't know if this was mental or physical but the manifestations are real, routine and quite dramatic.

I'm with Voodoo on this one.