What's new

Australia About to Change Slavery/Forced Labour Laws

Cherished

Silver Meritorious Patron
So if something like Alisa's story comes up after this date, it will be covered?

Any case of imprisonment was already covered. This case will mean that certain psychological abuses, where there was no physical restraint or threat thereof, may in future breach these laws.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
This Bill passed the Senate today (well, technically, yesterday, 27 February), without amendment.

It awaits Royal Assent (ie. the Governor-General signing it).

The Coalition (Liberal and National Parties - ie. the Opposition) attempted to remove from the definition of "coercion", coercion caused by psychological oppression and coercion caused by taking advantage of a vulnerability in a person. The amendments were defeated.

Early in 2012, an agent of the Australian Federal Police's Human Trafficking Teams flew around Australia and met with a number of former members of the Sea Organisation and former staff of the church of Scientology. Those interviews were done at the direction of senior AFP management. I am confident that the AFP's investigations informed the process which has led to the passing of the legislation by the Parliament yesterday.

Certain people would be well advised to get legal advice to understand the ramifications of the legislation for how they do their recruiting and staff management!

I am so very happy about this. I guess TR4 ,TR8 , TR-L will have to become black market items on the checksheets. And HCO and OSA will have to redo their courses with a profusely redacted S** E*hics Scr*pt*re ? Well at least the work load of 'putting in ethics' will be reduced. The marvelous SENATE has done it already. Thank you all who participated and my faith in government has been greatly enhanced. :clap::clap::clap:

mate

Patron Meritorious
Any case of imprisonment was already covered. This case will mean that certain psychological abuses, where there was no physical restraint or threat thereof, may in future breach these laws.
While that is the case, I do believe that a class action by all of those who were restrained by scientology in Australia, would have a much stronger case in the light of this new legislation. I am thinking of a cases of Scoots, of Carmel, of Carmen, and so on.

David.

RogerB

Crusader
While that is the case, I do believe that a class action by all of those who were restrained by scientology in Australia, would have a much stronger case in the light of this new legislation. I am thinking of a cases of Scoots, of Carmel, of Carmen, and so on.

David.

Yes, this is valid. The reason being is that this law changes the thinking and attitudes by which any jury would sit in judgement.

While it is true that laws in the British system cannot be applied retroactively (unless, in specific circumstances where as part of the new law introduced it is specified to retroactive) . . . that fact of the law now recognizing and stating certain actions as detrimental, devious and evil will have enormous impact on how those acts performed prior to the law's passage will be evaluated.

One of the pleas plaintiffs could and should always have made against this cult is that they were coerced, intimidated and in fear of "consequences" in the real, physical world of leaving or departing the abusive area. Legally, that is the definition and effect of use of duress and threat of consequences . . . it produces a fear in the person that interferes with their free will and prevents them from acting as they want.

This law will make that aspect of the cult's past behavior easier, retroactively, to prosecute by plaintiffs.

This law articulates what all decent people know to be true on the issue of suppressive restraint of free will, and retroactively this thinking will be applied as appropriate . . . even only if in tort or civil cases rather than criminal cases.

Rog

Cherished

The Crimes Legislation Amendment (Slavery, Slavery-like Conditions and People Trafficking) Bill 2012 received Royal Assent on 7 March 2013 and became operative on 8 March 2013.

It is the law.

Purple Rain

Crusader
The Crimes Legislation Amendment (Slavery, Slavery-like Conditions and People Trafficking) Bill 2012 received Royal Assent on 7 March 2013 and became operative on 8 March 2013.

It is the law.

Here are a couple of articles:

http://phys.org/news/2013-02-slavery-aid-victims-compensation.html
http://www.australiantimes.co.uk/ne...ive-announced-on-international-womens-day.htm

I'm a bit disgusted that the judge only gave out a $1,000 fine and 250 hours of community service for the first conviction under the new legislation. That's an appalling way to treat a human being and a thousand dollars would be nothing to most restaurant owners. It just goes to show that you can have well meaning politicians but if your judiciary and Fair Work Ombudsman are for shit, then unethical "employers" like Scientology are still going to play. Bastards.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron

It is the law.

This confirmation lightens my heart, relieves my mind and brings joyous emotions.
Thank you for bringing this to us Cherished.:clap::clap:

Cherished

Here are a couple of articles:

http://phys.org/news/2013-02-slavery-aid-victims-compensation.html
http://www.australiantimes.co.uk/ne...ive-announced-on-international-womens-day.htm

I'm a bit disgusted that the judge only gave out a $1,000 fine and 250 hours of community service for the first conviction under the new legislation. That's an appalling way to treat a human being and a thousand dollars would be nothing to most restaurant owners. It just goes to show that you can have well meaning politicians but if your judiciary and Fair Work Ombudsman are for shit, then unethical "employers" like Scientology are still going to play. Bastards.
Thanks for the (memories) links, Purple.

The case of the restaurant owner was not brought under the new legislation (which only came into effect yesterday). The conviction was for trafficking a person. He pleaded guilty. Yes, the penalties are obscenely low.

The first conviction for possessing a slave in 2012 was a brothel madam:

Justice Richard Refshauge jailed Nantahkhum for eight years and 10 months, to serve at least four years and nine months. ''While there is no evidence of particular physical or mental injury suffered by the victims, they have clearly had their integrity as human beings damaged and the first victim, in particular, had her rights abused,'' the judge said.

Purple Rain

Crusader
Thanks for the (memories) links, Purple.

The case of the restaurant owner was not brought under the new legislation (which only came into effect yesterday). The conviction was for trafficking a person. He pleaded guilty. Yes, the penalties are obscenely low.

The first conviction for possessing a slave in 2012 was a brothel madam:

Well, that is much better and does make me happy!

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
This is wonderful news. Given that it has only just become law, I’m guessing that it is still too early to know exactly how it will be enforced and how the courts will respond.

Perhaps we need a test case, say a manipulative organisation that has no respect for the most basic of human rights and regularly takes advantage of its members both emotionally and financially and views children as just another resource to be exploited and used? :whistling:

Axiom142

TG1

Angelic Poster
Cherished, Scoots, other Aussies ... if you have time and an opinion ...

What near-term impacts will this new law have on Australian Church of Scientology operations? Will it be mainly financial? Do you think the Church will try to do an end-run around the law in some way? What best-of-all-possible outcomes are you hoping for?

Thanks,

TG1

Cherished, Scoots, other Aussies ... if you have time and an opinion ...

What near-term impacts will this new law have on Australian Church of Scientology operations? Will it be mainly financial? Do you think the Church will try to do an end-run around the law in some way? What best-of-all-possible outcomes are you hoping for?

Thanks,

TG1

TG1 , I feel until there is greater coverage - or any at all - about what is currently going on concerning scientology re:NARCONON , Jenna Miscaviage etc , not much will happen.

Aussie media is quite lame when it comes too discussing scientology. Just have a look at the weekly Religious program on ABC radio , NOTHING has been mentioned.

We cannot have a reasonable and humane discussion concerning ''boat people'' , so how will we tackle religion?

TG1

Angelic Poster
TG1 , I feel until there is greater coverage - or any at all - about what is currently going on concerning scientology re:NARCONON , Jenna Miscaviage etc , not much will happen.

Aussie media is quite lame when it comes too discussing scientology. Just have a look at the weekly Religious program on ABC radio , NOTHING has been mentioned.

We cannot have a reasonable and humane discussion concerning ''boat people'' , so how will we tackle religion?

Smackthis, thanks for your response.

However, the impression I have from reading reports here at ESMB for the last nearly 4 years is completely different. I've watched dozens of TV news reports, read newspaper articles from Down Under about Scientology -- none of it positive for the cultists. Also, see Scooter's comment above -- suggesting that Scientology has been ravaged by bad news in recent years.

Maybe the scene in Perth is different? Is there an org in Perth, by the way?

TG1

Smackthis, thanks for your response.

However, the impression I have from reading reports here at ESMB for the last nearly 4 years is completely different. I've watched dozens of TV news reports, read newspaper articles from Down Under about Scientology -- none of it positive for the cultists. Also, see Scooter's comment above -- suggesting that Scientology has been ravaged by bad news in recent years.

Maybe the scene in Perth is different? Is there an org in Perth, by the way?

TG1

I stand corrected. All I have seen is mainly the Tomkat saga.

There is an Org in Perth , it had , for a while a Dianetic office next door. It has been some time since that has opened its' door.
Stress tests used to be run from the step of the Dianetic office but they ceased some years ago.
The Org itself looks faded and sad.

The drive too fund raise - donations - for the Ideal Org has been going on for about 6 years , not sure where that is at.
Now and then you can spot a Sea-org fuck walking down the street away from or too the Org.
Probably there to raise the stats or light a rocket under some OT to re-align their purpose.
SAVE THE PLANET.

The sea-org managed to recruit a whole family from here , the Cravens , not sure how or where they are now?
Sold their farm I think.
I am guessing they did not buy a condo.

Perth was at the fore when it came too the 2004 Tsunami in Indonesia.
Quite a few VMs went there.
Perth started a centre in Medan based on Book 1 and the Assist handbook.
Trained locals , gave lectures but it never left the runway.
All done on donations from Perth Public.

Now...

Cherished

The best case scenario?

An immediate change of behaviour such that:

• Sea Org recruits are fully informed of the true circumstances under which they will labour before they sign up;
  • SO and staff who express a wish to leave are enabled to do so at the time of their choosing or immediately;
  • No more attempts to "recover" SO who blow;
  • No more "freeloader" bills are issued or threatened;
  • No SO or staff are subjected to psychological pressure to change their minds about leaving, eg. no more SP or PTS declares or threatened declares and no using family members to pressure them (eg. "because you didn't route out, I can't do services".)

There's a start.

RogerB

Crusader
Yes, Cherished is right . . . these are the changes that should happen at a minimum and NOW!

The other side of the coin is that the fuckers are so stuck in their ingrained "know-best-that-they-are-the-only-ones-with-THE-truth" that they'll likely continue with their shit at least covertly. But, that too will be their undoing . . .

What we need is for all those currently in and wanting out to know about this new law and to USE it to their advantage . . . now, there is a project for you guys on the ground in Oz . . . get this info to those locked inside. And even, maybe, armed with the known history of the org scene, the authorities could/should visit the known haunts of the cult prisons and orgs to inform and ensure there are NONE trapped and unknowing of the new law.

RogerB

Purple Rain

Crusader
Yes, Cherished is right . . . these are the changes that should happen at a minimum and NOW!

The other side of the coin is that the fuckers are so stuck in their ingrained "know-best-that-they-are-the-only-ones-with-THE-truth" that they'll likely continue with their shit at least covertly. But, that too will be their undoing . . .

What we need is for all those currently in and wanting out to know about this new law and to USE it to their advantage . . . now, there is a project for you guys on the ground in Oz . . . get this info to those locked inside. And even, maybe, armed with the known history of the org scene, the authorities could/should visit the known haunts of the cult prisons and orgs to inform and ensure there are NONE trapped and unknowing of the new law.

RogerB

The fact that it only has to be proven to a civil standard of probability is one of the exciting things for me. Just one more Alice Wu and they're gone. Just one.

They can keep using the same business model, but it is illegal now - their legal ruds are out while they engage in any of that behaviour, and the second someone finds out they're toast. It's like they COULD refuse to make superannuation payments for staff, but they would be in horrible trouble with the tax office if they did. So they unwillingly had to start doing that.

Ultimately they will be forced to revise their procedures to some degree or other - if not sooner then later. All the waivers in the world won't save them now, since a person can no longer sign away those basic rights and agree to their abuse. It would be nice for their victims if they implement the necessary changes BEFORE the inevitable flap, but I am expecting that it won't happen until the first major Hill 10 - which is fine by me because I would love nothing better than to see them prosecuted for the sort of shit they've done to others for decades.

But yeah, a bit of highlighting of the new legislative changes from the mighty Steve Cannanes of the world would probably not go astray either.

Happy Days

The best case scenario?

An immediate change of behaviour such that:

• Sea Org recruits are fully informed of the true circumstances under which they will labour before they sign up;
  • SO and staff who express a wish to leave are enabled to do so at the time of their choosing or immediately;
  • No more attempts to "recover" SO who blow;
  • No more "freeloader" bills are issued or threatened;
  • No SO or staff are subjected to psychological pressure to change their minds about leaving, eg. no more SP or PTS declares or threatened declares and no using family members to pressure them (eg. "because you didn't route out, I can't do services".)

There's a start.

Yes this would be a great start for sure. However, as we all know the SO is all based on control both mentally and physically, unless its hand is forced to change it will not as its behaviour is based on Hubbard's SO indoctrination. It would take a regulatory body to go in and educate the SO members and put measures in place to enforce change and I don't know of any body that has the power to do this, maybe SafeWork Australia.

Further, if it were to occur it would spell 'doom' for the SO here in Oz, which is the cult faction of the CoS. The cult will fight tooth and nail to not have this kind of change, whether they are a toothless tiger here in Oz or not, the effects of such a change would ripple through and this the cult would not want, it would lose too many members if the threat of disconnection, freeloaders are withdrawn for real (unlikely) or in words on a policy and not enforced (yep more likely).

Unfortunately, we would need another Alice Wu situation here in Oz to first test the legislation for it's power and workability and to see how the cult responds. Another victim to test the water and I find this distressing having seen Alice Wu segment on Lateline and how she is today after her involvement with the SO.

Evil is as evil does :angry::angry:

Purple Rain

Crusader
Yes this would be a great start for sure. However, as we all know the SO is all based on control both mentally and physically, unless its hand is forced to change it will not as its behaviour is based on Hubbard's SO indoctrination. It would take a regulatory body to go in and educate the SO members and put measures in place to enforce change and I don't know of any body that has the power to do this, maybe SafeWork Australia.

Further, if it were to occur it would spell 'doom' for the SO here in Oz, which is the cult faction of the CoS. The cult will fight tooth and nail to not have this kind of change, whether they are a toothless tiger here in Oz or not, the effects of such a change would ripple through and this the cult would not want, it would lose too many members if the threat of disconnection, freeloaders are withdrawn for real (unlikely) or in words on a policy and not enforced (yep more likely).

Unfortunately, we would need another Alice Wu situation here in Oz to first test the legislation for it's power and workability and to see how the cult responds. Another victim to test the water and I find this distressing having seen Alice Wu segment on Lateline and how she is today after her involvement with the SO.

Evil is as evil does :angry::angry:

Yes, Alice Wu is a mere shell of a woman, and seeing that young lady on the Lateline show really was devastating. It is still incomprehensible that the same girl who had the world at her feet could have her whole future snatched away so permanently and irrevocably because a bunch of greedy, low-life, morally-bankrupt traffickers dressed as "clergy" got their claws into her. I certainly would not want that to happen to anyone else. But would I like the Sea Org to be caught red-handed doing what they do - hell yes! May they reap what they sow in abundance.

mnql1

Patron Meritorious
Thanks Cherished for this update.

And just to add to the general good stuff, the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission is now open for business -- here http://www.acnc.gov.au/

It's first day was today, which also happens to be International Human Rights Day.

I love that I live here.

Some churches 'run more like cults'
by Adam Shand, The Australian, March 21, 2013
INVESTIGATORS with the new Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission are probing numerous alleged breaches, including serious fraud and misleading behaviour, in a historic clean-out of non-compliant charities.

The ACNC, established in December, has set up a team staffed by experienced former law-enforcement officers, auditors and risk managers to investigate complaints.

Andrew Sealey, director of strategic intelligence and compliance, said the ACNC had received 62 referrals from the public and other regulatory bodies and 25 investigations were still open.

<more in the article at http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...-more-like-cults/story-fn59nsif-1226601968570>