What's new

Australia Day in Melbourne

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I went to the Australia day celebrations in Melbourne city today.

It always freaks me out a bit to drive into the city. The Org is "right there" and always forefront in my mind.

I had to drive right past it to get where I was going. I always feel nervous doing that. I'm lucky I have tinted windows :)

It all passed without incident. There was no one outside as I was paused in traffic at the side door.

About 20 minutes later. as I walked along the parade route I saw the Chaplain of Melbourne day Glenda Payne coming towards me. I was with my daughter. I know she saw me. I saw the flicker of recognition in her eyes. Then nothing. She stared right through me and passed by without comment. It was like I didn't exist.

I suppose I should be grateful, but instead I felt sad. She has spent her life in the CoS. Paid $100,000s for "abilities", yet she can't confront this SP with her daughter on a day of celebration of "Freedom" for all Aussies.

Glenda, if you ever read this, I care about you and if you ever wake up, call me. I know you have the number.

Romuva

Patron Meritorious
That's an interesting story Emma.

Yeah too bad you don't live in Boston.I think the Org there was the old
Beacon Street theatre.I drive by there I just think of the Producers
,something like puppet theatre or Phantom of the Opera.

Looks like a theatre production with that tape of Bob Minton,at least.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Hey Emma, if it helps at all, when my son was tiny Glenda was bouncing him around despite obvious indications she shouldn't and he vomited into her mouth. I'll never forget that.:)

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
About 20 minutes later. as I walked along the parade route I saw the Chaplain of Melbourne day Glenda Payne coming towards me. I was with my daughter. I know she saw me. I saw the flicker of recognition in her eyes. Then nothing. She stared right through me and passed by without comment. It was like I didn't exist.

I went to a couple of events in LA after leaving the SO. Most of my former friends chose to not-recognize me, but a couple were friendly and chatty. I didn't take the snubs personally as I remembered what it was like being in their position.

Paul

Leon

Gold Meritorious Patron
You can embarrass them by openly greeting them and being very friendly. I do that - it's great fun to see them squirm.

SabinaM

Patron
Glenda was our singing/drama teacher at Yarralinda in the '90s, too. She'd come in every Tuesday for singing lessons, and in the latter half of the year she'd come in at least twice a week to help us with the school plays.

When she came back from Chaplain training at Flag around '00 or early '01 she became part of the little group (Comprised of Cl V staff, Yarralinda staff, and the occasional reg tour from the AO and CLO) who'd drop in at our house every month or so to tell my mother she'd die of cancer if she didn't go to the AO to do her OT levels. :eyeroll: Even so, I'm still very fond of Glenda, and everyone at the org (Both Fdn and Day). What a waste.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I was still on staff when she came back from her chaplain training.

I do like Glenda although all the Flag training in the world didn't make her an impartial Chaplain.

I believe she is still on staff although I don't know how she managed to do that TV show "X Factor" with Kate Ceberano whilst still being on staff.

There are a lot of people I care about on Day & Fnd too, and some I couldn't care less about. They know who they are.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Glenda was our singing/drama teacher at Yarralinda in the '90s, too. She'd come in every Tuesday for singing lessons, and in the latter half of the year she'd come in at least twice a week to help us with the school plays.

When she came back from Chaplain training at Flag around '00 or early '01 she became part of the little group (Comprised of Cl V staff, Yarralinda staff, and the occasional reg tour from the AO and CLO) who'd drop in at our house every month or so to tell my mother she'd die of cancer if she didn't go to the AO to do her OT levels. :eyeroll: Even so, I'm still very fond of Glenda, and everyone at the org (Both Fdn and Day). What a waste.

Hey Sabina, Glenda always made me laugh. But that was before she joined staff, I didn't see her after that. :) I hope your mother is ok?

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
I seem to have a fairly natural invisibility. Even automatic doors can fail to see me.

I used to walk up to my flat mate to ask a question and she would freak, swearing that I had materialized out of nowhere because she never heard me approach (and this body is currently on the HEAVY side).

I find that with some of the trauma that I have experienced my mind has created some of its own blocks, and people with whom I dealth are totally unrecognisable. It's like a little red flag that says "keep walking".

Admittedly my memory is pretty shot at the moment, but usually I don't have the "keep walking" warning when it's someone with whom I should still be friends.

SabinaM

Patron
I believe she is still on staff although I don't know how she managed to do that TV show "X Factor" with Kate Ceberano whilst still being on staff.

I'm sure it was considered a great PR opportunity for Scn at the time. I imagine she got the okay from DSA to do it, with their blessing. The Chaplain post is pretty much an extension of Dept. 3 these days, anyway. They go out in the field to 'handle' ARCX enough that the public is willing to come into the org for their trip to Ethics (although in my experience with Glenda it was more of a make-wrong until you were so convinced of your 'out-ethics' that you gave in). Same deal in the AO. The Chaplain there is a black South African. I want to say his name is Chris, but it's been a few years now so I don't remember for sure. He's one of my favourite people up there. He has such dry wit; we'd be in fits of laughter on the bus to the AO in the mornings.

Hey Sabina, Glenda always made me laugh. But that was before she joined staff, I didn't see her after that. :) I hope your mother is ok?

My mother is okay. She still considers herself a Scientologist, but is very critical of current management and has no interest in getting back on lines until the orgs get back 'on source'. I'm pretty sure she's safe for at least the next billion lifetimes, in that regard!

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
My mother is okay. She still considers herself a Scientologist, but is very critical of current management and has no interest in getting back on lines until the orgs get back 'on source'. I'm pretty sure she's safe for at least the next billion lifetimes, in that regard!

Cool. It's easier to fade away sometimes, stay under the radar, that's what a lot of people I know did. And then sometimes, gradually, reach a point of thinking perhaps there is something more they should know, and start looking on the net, and REALLY find some answers. The conflict between what you are supposed to believe and the evidence to the contrary may bring a crisis point, and change. :)

SabinaM

Patron
Cool. It's easier to fade away sometimes, stay under the radar, that's what a lot of people I know did. And then sometimes, gradually, reach a point of thinking perhaps there is something more they should know, and start looking on the net, and REALLY find some answers. The conflict between what you are supposed to believe and the evidence to the contrary may bring a crisis point, and change. :)

That's pretty much how I went about it, as well. :) After routing out of the SO I went to a few events at the Class V here, and was completely shocked to see that the only public who turned up to these events were either AO public who lived in Melbourne, or ex-SO crew. No Class V public at all. I thought, you know, "Something is wrong!" I stopped going to events and mulled it over in my mind for a few months. I felt really isolated, being ex-SO, unable to relate to anyone, unable to speak normal English, so I went online to see if there was anyone like me, or anyone who could help me. My brain almost exploded that night! So many questions I had had were finally answered, so much of the crap that I saw and experienced in the SO was finally validated, it was amazing. :) Part of me hopes my mother never has to come to terms with the true story of LRH's life; she loves and respects him so. It would crush her. Then again, so did we all, at one time.

Also, Free to Shine, I read your experience in Scn just now. It was so similar to my experience. How crazy. I think you may have known my father, too. He was also on staff when the org got burned down.

haiqu

Patron Meritorious
Wooah, another Melbourne posting! I have an inkling who SabinaM might be, but hard to tell from 3 postings. So glad some of the local SO guys are waking up and getting out now. Yeah, I was one of those AO public who used to always turn up for local events, but even we have our limits.

There have been so many great people in Scientology in Melbourne who have vanished off the face of the planet in the past few years. I remember the Turol girls who were on staff for years, ran into Marisha after she left and she was very defensive, definitely freaked out to see another Scio. Maybe they were before your time.

Anyhow, welcome to the board. If you want to know who I am, PM me.

haiqu

SabinaM

Patron
Wooah, another Melbourne posting! I have an inkling who SabinaM might be, but hard to tell from 3 postings. So glad some of the local SO guys are waking up and getting out now. Yeah, I was one of those AO public who used to always turn up for local events, but even we have our limits.

There have been so many great people in Scientology in Melbourne who have vanished off the face of the planet in the past few years. I remember the Turol girls who were on staff for years, ran into Marisha after she left and she was very defensive, definitely freaked out to see another Scio. Maybe they were before your time.

Anyhow, welcome to the board. If you want to know who I am, PM me.

haiqu

Haiqu, I am intrigued! And I don't blame you, re: events. It was bad enough being pulled off post for all-hands call-in on events at the AO, having to confirm and re-re-re-re-confirm every public for around a month before the actual event occurred. :eyeroll: I got yelled at by quite a few 'OT' public during call-in, and I have to say I don't blame them one tiny little bit. A silly little upstart thirteen year-old calling every day for weeks would get me pretty riled up as well.

I can't say I know who the Turol girls are, although I may remember their faces. I spent a lot of time in the Class V as a toddler, playing hide-and-seek under the desks and jumping over the "cursed dagger stair" (the stairwell that lead down from the Academy to the ground floor had a nail embedded in one of the steps, and it looked like a dagger. When I was Fdn staff years later we still skipped that stair, purely out of habit). Anyway, there are a lot of faces from that time that I never got to put names to.

Thank you for the welcome, and I think I will PM you. I'm very curious!

(Also, Emma, I am sorry for derailing your thread.)

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
A newbie with only 4 posts - already derailing threads.

Looks like you'll have bright future here at ESMB!

Welcome!

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Haiqu, I am intrigued! And I don't blame you, re: events. It was bad enough being pulled off post for all-hands call-in on events at the AO, having to confirm and re-re-re-re-confirm every public for around a month before the actual event occurred. :eyeroll: I got yelled at by quite a few 'OT' public during call-in, and I have to say I don't blame them one tiny little bit. A silly little upstart thirteen year-old calling every day for weeks would get me pretty riled up as well.

I can't say I know who the Turol girls are, although I may remember their faces. I spent a lot of time in the Class V as a toddler, playing hide-and-seek under the desks and jumping over the "cursed dagger stair" (the stairwell that lead down from the Academy to the ground floor had a nail embedded in one of the steps, and it looked like a dagger. When I was Fdn staff years later we still skipped that stair, purely out of habit). Anyway, there are a lot of faces from that time that I never got to put names to.

Thank you for the welcome, and I think I will PM you. I'm very curious!

(Also, Emma, I am sorry for derailing your thread.)

No problem!

I'm from Melbourne too (as you might have guessed).

PM me if you want to catch up :)

SabinaM

Patron
A newbie with only 4 posts - already derailing threads.

Looks like you'll have bright future here at ESMB!

Welcome!

I'm a fast learner. :D Thank you for the welcome!

No problem!

I'm from Melbourne too (as you might have guessed).

PM me if you want to catch up :)

I actually found ESMB through OCMB (I lurk there), and thought I'd check it out because you mentioned in a couple of threads over there that you were from Melbourne. :) It's so odd - but good - to read about people who were in Scn and from Australia. I actually recognise names and places, unlike stories about Int, though they're very interesting as well.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
That's pretty much how I went about it, as well. :) After routing out of the SO I went to a few events at the Class V here, and was completely shocked to see that the only public who turned up to these events were either AO public who lived in Melbourne, or ex-SO crew. No Class V public at all. I thought, you know, "Something is wrong!" I stopped going to events and mulled it over in my mind for a few months. I felt really isolated, being ex-SO, unable to relate to anyone, unable to speak normal English, so I went online to see if there was anyone like me, or anyone who could help me. My brain almost exploded that night! So many questions I had had were finally answered, so much of the crap that I saw and experienced in the SO was finally validated, it was amazing. :) Part of me hopes my mother never has to come to terms with the true story of LRH's life; she loves and respects him so. It would crush her. Then again, so did we all, at one time.

Also, Free to Shine, I read your experience in Scn just now. It was so similar to my experience. How crazy. I think you may have known my father, too. He was also on staff when the org got burned down.

I probably did know your father, I'll PM you.
Welcome to this board, which has helped me so much in such a short time.
It can take a while to undo the language thing, but it does happen. It's one of the things that ended up with me here. I was speaking to a family member and thinking "speak freaking English, there are words that mean the same thing!". But they don't know that yet. The language is a symbol of exclusivity and isolation, as is the secret hope that is fostered to find some peace by "getting up the bridge".
I'll get off my soapbox now. :)