Babbitt, MN Police Chief Chad Loewen used as an ad by Scientology to get donations

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Babbitt, MN Police Chief Chad Loewen used as an ad by Scientology to solicit donations,

Tony Ortega has the story.

A great peek into how Scientology uses fronts to love-bomb a public official

http://tonyortega.org/2016/01/12/a-...y-uses-fronts-to-love-bomb-a-public-official/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

...we want to thank reader QBird, who took it upon herself to follow up on one of our recent stories.

You might remember our piece on Scientology claiming that it got $5.7 million from Google in the form of advertising grants. We first reported the story in 2014, but just recently it blew up again when it got picked up by other media. So on Thursday, we posted for the first time the audio recording of Scientology official Brandy Harrison talking about Google’s largesse at a Los Angeles “Ideal Org” fundraiser.

Brandy talked about other things as well. She quoted from a letter that a police chief in a small Minnesota town had written about the success he’d had with Scientology’s anti-drug campaign, the Foundation for a Drug-Free World.

“The Foundation for a Drug-Free World has put together one of the most comprehensive drug education programs in this country, and their commitment to drug education is clearly admirable,” wrote police chief Chad Loewen of Babbitt, Minnesota, a burg of about 1,500 people some 230 miles north of Minneapolis.

QBird, also a Minnesota resident, decided to call Chief Loewen and ask him if he realized that he was being used as an advertisement by the Church of Scientology as it tries to get donations from its members.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Chad_Loewen_Erika_Christensen.jpg

Intentionally Blank

Scientology Widow
Re: Babbitt, MN Police Chief Chad Loewen used as an ad by Scientology to get donation

excerpt: http://tonyortega.org/2016/01/12/a-...y-uses-fronts-to-love-bomb-a-public-official/

UPDATE: We talked to Chief Loewen today, who helped us correct a few details in this account, and gave us this quote to add:“I don’t like publicity, good or bad. I just like the program and I think it’s helpful — it’s something I can use. I’m totally neutral in this. I’m not for or against them. I’m just a guy that uses the material. There are many reasons why I do this, and it’s not to go to bat for Scientology.”
UPDATE, JANUARY 14: Chief Loewen called to let us know that the city will not continue to teach the Scientology-backed Truth About Drugs classes. He also let us know that he had seen Alex Gibney’s documentary, Going Clear. “I didn’t know a lot of that stuff,” he told us.

Oscar nomination or no Oscar nomination -- ^^^ this the power of Gibney's work. The guy went from neutral and non committal to nixing his plan to use materials that he spent $7000 on.

On a related rant - who charges $7000 to ship 56,000 packets. Does this seem outrageous to anyone else? I've ordered all kinds of print materials for a number of different businesses - that's a lot of shipping $$.

Blanky

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Re: Babbitt, MN Police Chief Chad Loewen used as an ad by Scientology to get donation

On a related rant - who charges $7000 to ship 56,000 packets. Does this seem outrageous to anyone else? I've ordered all kinds of print materials for a number of different businesses - that's a lot of shipping $$.

Blanky

Sounds exactly like when you order a little gizmo from Hong Kong and it costs $0.01 plus $3.99 shipping. In other words, it's a [STRIKE]scam[/STRIKE] promotion where they cover their costs and make a profit by charging a high shipping fee while calling the item "free."

Paul