What's new

Bangkok Thailand question?

apple

Patron Meritorious
I know some of you are pretty bright so I have a question that someone may be able to answer, including that gentleman from India.

Today I was walking down a popular street in Bangkok, Sukhumwit Road. An Indian gentleman called me over on the sidewalk he said he was a holy man. He gave me a crumpled piece of paper in my hand and told me to make a fist with it. Then he asked me to tell him a number from 1-10, I told him 8. He wrote this in his book. Then I opened my hand and the number 8 was written on the paper. Then he gave me another piece of crumpled paper and asked me a flowers name. I told him a rose. He wrote this in his book. Then I opened the paper in my hand and rose was written on the paper. Then he gave me another piece of paper told me to make a fist with it. He asked my last girlfriends name, I told him Sheina, he wrote this in his book. I then opened the paper and written on the paper is Sheina. Then he told me my present and future fortune of course asking for money. How does this work?

A block down there was another Indian gentleman and he did the same thing but only got as far with a number. This time I said a number 4 and written on the paper was #4. He said he was the first Indians teacher.

Feral

Rogue male
I know some of you are pretty bright so I have a question that someone may be able to answer, including that gentleman from India.

Today I was walking down a popular street in Bangkok, Sukhumwit Road. An Indian gentleman called me over on the sidewalk he said he was a holy man. He gave me a crumpled piece of paper in my hand and told me to make a fist with it. Then he asked me to tell him a number from 1-10, I told him 8. He wrote this in his book. Then I opened my hand and the number 8 was written on the paper. Then he gave me another piece of crumpled paper and asked me a flowers name. I told him a rose. He wrote this in his book. Then I opened the paper in my hand and rose was written on the paper. Then he gave me another piece of paper told me to make a fist with it. He asked my last girlfriends name, I told him Sheina, he wrote this in his book. I then opened the paper and written on the paper is Sheina. Then he told me my present and future fortune of course asking for money. How does this work?

A block down there was another Indian gentleman and he did the same thing but only got as far with a number. This time I said a number 4 and written on the paper was #4. He said he was the first Indians teacher.

Good thing that he didn't ask for your PIN number. :D

Lohan2008

Gold Meritorious Patron
How

1. Copier paper & sleight of hand.
2. Hypnosis: makes you 'believe' that you see him write down number.
3. Was not really there and hallucination was the result of too much partying !

Have you tried the fish spas on Khao San Rd yet?
:drool: Street stall food BKK.

Last edited:

apple

Patron Meritorious
No slight of hand, I had the crumpled paper in my fisted hand when he asked me the questions. I unravelled the paper.

Hypnosis. no he asked the question then wrote it down in his book after I had the paper in my hand.

No party here I live a quiet life.

Talked with some Christian Missionaries that are staying at the guesthouse. They are stationed in Tibet. They have said that they have experienced some unexplainable things In Tibet, regarding spirital magic things. I dont know what to make of this experience except that it kind of shook me up.

No I dont know what the fish spas are on Khao San Rd. The street food is great I could live on paying about $1.50 to $2.00 a day.

1. Copier paper & slight of hand.
2. Hypnosis: makes you 'believe' that you see him write down number.
3. Was not really there and hallucination was the result of too much partying !

Have you tried the fish spas on Khao San Rd yet?
:drool: Street stall food BKK.

OTBT

Patron Meritorious
@ OP

I don't have the answer, but I can guarantee it is a scam.

Run away. At some point, it WILL involve money.

Magic gurus have no need of "earthly" money.

When gurus start demanding money in exchange for their their bullshit, it should become obvious that it is a scam.

Mind reading is a scam, it does NOT exist.

@ OP,

there is some sort of explanation, even if I cannot provide it for you at this time.

Last edited:
@ OP

I don't have the answer, but I can guarantee it is a scam.

Run away. At some point, it WILL involve money.

Magic gurus have no need of "earthly" money.

When gurus start demanding money in exchange for their their bullshit, it should become obvious that it is a scam.

Freezoners, go fuck yourselves. Mind reading is a scam, it does NOT exist.
@ OP,

there is some sort of explanation, even if I cannot provide it for you at this time.

I knew you were going to say that.

Seriously, though. I had a good friend who was a sleight of hand magician who used to do a trick very similar to that.

I saw him do it several times. He was good.

He never told me how he did it.

But it was a trick.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron
Speaking of magic...this reminded me of a tale coming from Indonesia and it is not first hand. More like third hand. True or not....

Some California tourists came the morning before they would be leaving for home to see the tigers on the beach on, possibly, Sumatra. The guide took
them there and there were no tigers. There were some locals about including
a well-known elder who observed the clamor and disappointment of the travelers. The guide spoke with him and the elder told him to bring his people back in one hour. They then returned to the beach and, lo and behold, there were tigers on the beach in the distance. The travelers were able to take many pictures of them and left very satisfied with their trip and headed home.

The story goes that once they returned and developed their film (pre-digital) not one of the people in the group had pictures of any tigers, only the beach and other things they had seen. It is said that the elder conjured the tigers for the benefit of the travelers.

I heard this many years ago and just now found at least this to lend some credit to the possibility, although a bit different spin:

http://www.watoday.com.au/world/indonesias-tigerwhisperer-works-his-magic-in-the-forest-20100528-wlic.html

Both white and black magic are common in Indonesia as well as Thailand.

omnom

Patron with Honors
My old bartender is a very accomplished performer of illusions - he does it professionally on the side.

He showed my mother a similarly impressive trick. He handed her an empty 35mm film canister, and asked her to place it on the ledge over her shoulder, in plain sight. He then ripped a corner of paper off of a notepad and asked her to sign her name. She handed it back to him, he did the crumble and blow in the hand thing, and poof, it's gone. Then, he asks her to open the canister - guess what's inside? The very same piece of paper that just disappeared.

This is one of the most impressive tricks I've seen in-person up-close. We spent an hour trying to figure it out. We used to go see him occasionally and try to figure out what he showed us. In fact, out of the hundreds of tricks he's shown us over the years, we only managed to figure out two of them. Just 2.

It's not a very good trick if it's easy to figure out :)
Personally, I think it's worth spending a bit of tip money to see a great trick. I'd just say skip the fortune-telling bit, as it's not necessary.

My old bartender is a very accomplished performer of illusions - he does it professionally on the side.

He showed my mother a similarly impressive trick. He handed her an empty 35mm film canister, and asked her to place it on the ledge over her shoulder, in plain sight. He then ripped a corner of paper off of a notepad and asked her to sign her name. She handed it back to him, he did the crumble and blow in the hand thing, and poof, it's gone. Then, he asks her to open the canister - guess what's inside? The very same piece of paper that just disappeared.

This is one of the most impressive tricks I've seen in-person up-close. We spent an hour trying to figure it out. We used to go see him occasionally and try to figure out what he showed us. In fact, out of the hundreds of tricks he's shown us over the years, we only managed to figure out two of them. Just 2.

Personally, I think it's worth spending a bit of tip money to see a great trick. I'd just say skip the fortune-telling bit, as it's not necessary.

That's the trick my friend did except he used an egg.

I saw him do it dozens of time and I did figure it out.

It is quite an impressive art.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
No slight of hand, I had the crumpled paper in my fisted hand when he asked me the questions. I unravelled the paper.

Hypnosis. no he asked the question then wrote it down in his book after I had the paper in my hand.

No party here I live a quiet life.

Talked with some Christian Missionaries that are staying at the guesthouse. They are stationed in Tibet. They have said that they have experienced some unexplainable things In Tibet, regarding spirital magic things. I dont know what to make of this experience except that it kind of shook me up.

No I dont know what the fish spas are on Khao San Rd. The street food is great I could live on paying about $1.50 to $2.00 a day.

Think about it for a moment.

Someone with such magical powers is walking around on a street in Bangkok. Really? Thats the sum total of what this person does?

Just because you did not see what they did - does not mean they did anything other than con you.

Seriously dude - you need to grow some critical thinking skills.

fast.

otherwise you are in danger if becoming a scientologist and then you can kiss goodbye to your money.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)

Mike Silverman (AO Reg at AOLA) used to perform similar tricks.

Why is it that people cannot just accept that they are tricks? rehearsed performed and entertaining - but tricks.

Sheesh.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Speaking of magic...this reminded me of a tale coming from Indonesia and it is not first hand. More like third hand. True or not....

Some California tourists came the morning before they would be leaving for home to see the tigers on the beach on, possibly, Sumatra. The guide took
them there and there were no tigers. There were some locals about including
a well-known elder who observed the clamor and disappointment of the travelers. The guide spoke with him and the elder told him to bring his people back in one hour. They then returned to the beach and, lo and behold, there were tigers on the beach in the distance. The travelers were able to take many pictures of them and left very satisfied with their trip and headed home.

The story goes that once they returned and developed their film (pre-digital) not one of the people in the group had pictures of any tigers, only the beach and other things they had seen. It is said that the elder conjured the tigers for the benefit of the travelers.

I heard this many years ago and just now found at least this to lend some credit to the possibility, although a bit different spin:

http://www.watoday.com.au/world/indonesias-tigerwhisperer-works-his-magic-in-the-forest-20100528-wlic.html

Both white and black magic are common in Indonesia as well as Thailand.

wow and there was this magician and he made the empire state builidng disappear, No really, it was magic...

Jeez

apple

Patron Meritorious
Good advice from all of you, thank you. Cant find the "holy man" today. You know these little scams wont break the bank, its all par for the course in being a tourist. Now on the other hand the Scientology scam will break the bank and much more.

Think about it for a moment.

Someone with such magical powers is walking around on a street in Bangkok. Really? Thats the sum total of what this person does?

Just because you did not see what they did - does not mean they did anything other than con you.

Seriously dude - you need to grow some critical thinking skills.

fast.

otherwise you are in danger if becoming a scientologist and then you can kiss goodbye to your money.

Last edited:

Lohan2008

Gold Meritorious Patron
BKK

1. Does he have a cousin that is a tailor, who can make your money disappear?
2. Why are all the tailors in BKK Indian??

:coffee: Get me a 20 Baht coffee, while you are out.

Last edited:

Lohan2008

Gold Meritorious Patron
Bangkok, Sukhumwit Road

PM me some photo's from the Soi Cowboy :coolwink:

Soi Cowboy is a red-light district in Bangkok, Thailand. A short street with some 40 bars, it is similar to Nana Plaza and Patpong and caters mainly to tourists and expatriates. It is located near Sukhumvit Road. (Postitutes and Elephant mentioned in same sentence). :omg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnqj31VPNoE

apple

Patron Meritorious
Wow, you must have magical power to know that! That is so true all the tailor shops that the Tuk Tuk and cabbies have taken me to are Indians. Getting a bit tired of stopping in places that I dont want to, the solution I found is the ultra modern fast and cheap subway. Why is it that I feel everytime I am dealing with Indians it feels like I am about to get scammed. Just a greasy feeling.

Anyways there sure seem to be alot of Holymen around the Little India restraunt. I went down to this hotel to wait for my tour bus and there was a holyman doing the same scam on a tourist, just as the tourist was about to hand over some money I walked up showed him the website for this scam and shook my head no. His wife mouthed , thank you, and he left. The Indian wanted to know what I showed, so I showed him. He walked off. His scam was up this time.

1. Does he have a cousin that is a tailor, who can make your money disappear?
2. Why are all the tailors in BKK Indian??

:coffee: Get me a 20 Baht coffee, while you are out.