Bare-Faced Messiah Now in Paperback!

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Announced at the Bunker this morning:
http://tonyortega.org/2015/12/12/mo...ome-2007-a-year-david-miscavige-would-regret/

Humfrey Hunter of Silvertail Books put Bare-Faced Messiah back in print in 2014, 27 years after its first publication. Russell Miller’s epic biography of L. Ron Hubbard is, for our money, the finest book in the Scientology field, and we can’t recommend it highly enough.

Now, Humfrey has let us know that he’s put Bare-Faced Messiah in paperback, and it’s now available at Amazon. Pick up your copy in time for Christmas!

BareFacedNew-e1394684182471.jpg

Just in time for Christmas! :)

Orglodyte 2

Patron with Honors
I have read almost all the books about Scientology (can't wait for Ron Senior!), and this is the best. I vividly remember my all-nighter at Denny's, the day after I decided to leave, devouring this great book.

If you're lurking and looking for the real story, you can't miss with this one. Miller's matter-of-fact tone was perfect for me in my state of grave Doubt. The book is entertaining (LRH's actual life was more fascinating than the tall tales he spun), beautifully written and meticulously researched, a perfect way to ease into the truth "without bias or rumor."

Five out of five stars. :clap:

O

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron
I have read almost all the books about Scientology (can't wait for Ron Senior!), and this is the best. I vividly remember my all-nighter at Denny's, the day after I decided to leave, devouring this great book.

No matter what your expectations are for the book by David Miscavige's father called "If he Dies, let him Die" ~~ it will beat your expectations.
The book will be released in Spring.

Ron Miscavige lived at Int Base for 26 years. He had to plan for his escape for 6 months (he calls it as detailed as a navy seal operation) down to the minute. He and his wife Becky fled some 2.5 years ago.
DMfather_2.jpg

The 2 PIs under the employ of Miscavige stalked and followed Miscavige's father for 18 months at $10,000 a week of Tax free money.
They debriefed to Wisconsin police when their car was found to have an arsenal of ammunition

AND

A silencer.
I have the complete debrief of what they told Wisconsin police.

Orglodyte 2

Patron with Honors

Ron Miscavige lived at Int Base for 26 years. He had to plan for his escape for 6 months (he calls it as detailed as a navy seal operation) down to the minute. He and his wife Becky fled some 2.5 years ago.

And I think I regret joining Scientology! Ron may have us all beat in that regard. Really looking forward to his book.

Boson Wog Stark

Patron Meritorious
Miller's Bare-Faced Messiah is the first book I read about Scientology, since it was online for free. I found Hubbard's life and the development of Scientology to be absolutely fascinating, and was stunned when I learned that members considered the book "entheta," and weren't allowed to read it, refused to read it, or just thought it wasn't worth reading.

Even some ex-members, indies for the most part, were saying it wasn't "accurate" and dismissed it as insignificant, as if the myths Hubbard spun about himself sleeping with Mongolian bandits and hunting with Pygmies were, or as if Scientology is a science of the mind. Marty, Mike, and even people like Tory, who was not an indie, just ignored the book for years.

To me, not reading the book would be like a Christian not wanting to see a video of the real life of Jesus, if an alien arrived from another planet who recorded Jesus's real life. That would be something I would very much want to see. Yet, I have read that there are many Christians, that if a book about Jesus's life, including the first 30 years, was unearthed, they would not want to read it. For them, it wouldn't matter.

Hubbard did not live in ancient times during a time of widespread illiteracy. His life was captured in his own writings, letters, and those of friends, family and associates, as well as documented in newspapers, magazines and records of all sorts from schools, court, hospitals, and the military.

Some Scientologists say the tech is all that matters to them, and they don't really care about Hubbard's life or character, or how he developed Dianetics and Scientology, and what he was doing before that. But they do care, because they buy into all the myths spun by the cult, like about Hubbard healing himself from blindness with Dianutty. Come on, the fact that he was never blind doesn't bother them? The fact that the cult faked military medals he didn't earn is something Tommy Davis couldn't believe?

Tom Cruise may know a few nasty things about the history of psychiatry but he doesn't know anything about the history of Scientology, his own religion, or its founder. That is outrageous! He should be challenged on that all the time.

I hope Miller's book enjoys a new wave of popularity, now that there's an audience for it.

I remember when I first heard about it, I didn't like the title at all. After I read it, I kind of got used to it. But before I read it, I thought it was terrible. Why? Because most people, myself included, didn't even know who Hubbard was, and the word "messiah" conjures up too many other images.

I think L. Ron Hubbard, Huckster of the Century, would have been a better title or almost anything. Even a single word title, like HUCKSTER would have been good. I didn't like Reitman's title either. I loved Wright's and Remini's titles best.

I liked Tony's title, but thought it was a little too wordy. A title that can be summarized in one or two words is the easiest to remember, so GOING CLEAR, and TROUBLEMAKER are good.

Last edited:

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
BFM is a brilliant book crammed with factual info about the life of the fat dead connodore. If you'd like to read it for free you can do that here.

If you'd like to download it (bfm.rar), you can do that for a couple of days from here.

Last edited:

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
. . .
To me, not reading the book would be like a Christian not wanting to see a video of the real life of Jesus, if an alien arrived from another planet who recorded Jesus's real life. That would be something I would very much want to see. Yet, I have read that there are many Christians, that if a book about Jesus's life, including the first 30 years, was unearthed, they would not want to read it. For them, it wouldn't matter.

Hubbard did not live in ancient times during a time of widespread illiteracy. His life was captured in his own writings, letters, and those of friends, family and associates, as well as documented in newspapers, magazines and records of all sorts from schools, court, hospitals, and the military.

. . .

Tom Cruise may know some about the history of psychiatry but he doesn't know anything about the history of Scientology, his own religion, or its founder. That is outrageous! He should be challenged on that all the time.

I hope Miller's book enjoys a new wave of popularity, now that there's an audience for it.

I enjoyed Bare-Faced Messiah hugely. Unlike many of the more recent books, it’s a piece by a talented professional, and even if he doesn’t have the “inside story” in the same way that somebody like, uh, Jesse Prince could provide, this is a “wog”-accessible, interesting read. It’s a book you can leave on your coffee table, without needing to defend your choice.

I have to take issue with one thing that you’re saying here, though, Boston Wog Stark: there is no point comparing Scientology and Christianity, because Scientology isn't a religion. It never was. That was just a “shore story”, and as poor old Ron took the path of least resistance, he pretended that his scams were a lot of different things – as Bare-Faced Messiah amply demonstrates.

Hubbard apologists continue to play the persecution card but only because they can’t think what else to do. The “self help system” cloaking has unravelled. The “drug treatment” cloaking has been shown to be positively criminal. The “science of the mind” thing is laughable and the “medical” claims are illegal. The “navy” is down to a single rustbucket, the “education system” produced inadequate lunatics and the “government” never happened.

Why assume that the “religion” is any more legitimate than the rest?

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
I had [STRIKE]blown[/STRIKE] left the sea org 12 years before I read BFM. During that time I would pull out one of my scio books or the 'red volumes' and read them trying to get back the feeling of being part of the group.

After reading BFM, I never read any scio [STRIKE]literature[/STRIKE] baloney again. The onion had been peeled and nothing was left.

Boson Wog Stark

Patron Meritorious
I have to take issue with one thing that you’re saying here, though, Boston Wog Stark: there is no point comparing Scientology and Christianity, because Scientology isn't a religion. It never was. That was just a “shore story”, and as poor old Ron took the path of least resistance, he pretended that his scams were a lot of different things – as Bare-Faced Messiah amply demonstrates.

Why assume that the “religion” is any more legitimate than the rest?

I compare Scientology to Christianity all the time, because Scientology took on the "religious angle" or cloaking, and also because I was raised as a Christian/Catholic, so it's what I relate to the most personally. Reading about Scientology has made me reflect on and read about other religions, including the ones in which I was raised. Any vestige of practicing a particular religion ended in my early 20s. I can't even say that I ever really believed in any of them. I wanted to, but I was just too skeptical.

I don't consider Scientology to be a religion, but between religion and science, it's definitely more religion than science. I think of Scientology more as a talk therapy scam designed primarily to extract money or labor, that uses elements of fascism, along with the adulation of celebrities. Since Scientology pretends to be everything, and all the answers, I think of it in terms that Scientologists do for the sake of comparison. Ultimately, you have to deal with how they are disguised, as well as what you believe their underlying purposes are.

I don't think of religions in terms of legitimacy, but rather their level of control, and their potential to do damage as they are practiced today. Their histories are also important, to understand how they developed and operated historically. I also believe in the debate, questioning and discussion of the beliefs of religions, whether they are conventional religions or groups cloaked as religions.

Initially I was drawn in most by Scientology (reading about it) not because of its worldwide impact, which is relatively tiny compared with Christianity and Islam, but because of its uniquely fascist elements, such as goals of total world domination, their beliefs of being superior beings and having superpowerz and special leadership abilities, as well as their use of celebrities. The way they attack critics is fascist also.

People have always had heroes and role models in their lives, but it is only in the last century that so many young people in particular idolize actors. Scientology capitalizes on that. They worship wealth, success, and fame religiously, because it spreads Scientology, no matter what people think it is.

Last edited:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Here's a review of this book I'm cross-posting from an older thread:

Barefaced Messiah was the first thing I read of the critical material. It was actually YEARS after I got out of the SO. So I had been in that no man's land of being out because of being ex SO with a huge freeloader bill, getting on with my life, not in comm with any Scientologists, but still sort of semi sorta kinda considering myself a Scientologist without really thinking about it. That book was the perfect thing to start on. It wasn't rabid, but it sure presented a lot of information in a very rational matter of fact way, all backed up with evidence. By the time I got halfway through it, I was ready to delve into the rest of it. It's a great place to start if you want a good overview of the man who created Scientology, and a great one to give to friends who have their doubts about being in or out. Highly recommended.

ForLease

Maximus Squirrel
I happened to read BFM when it came out and I was quite young.

Made me a critic for life.

And I would have been a perfect target, then: some childhood trauma with lingering emotional effects, wish to help other people, attraction to "scientific" things, looking for something to believe in, grew up in Los Angeles area.

Thank you, Russell Miller.

apple

Patron Meritorious
I remember reading this book a long time ago when I left Scientology. It was pre internet times. I was confused, self tormented, depressed maybe even suicidal, and I could not release myself from the muddy scientology think. The book was like a big pressure relief valve. It helped me start to make my way out of the Scientology jungle. The second anti scientology book that I read was, a piece of blue sky. These books help me on the road to recovery but what sped up the process was ESMB and other anti scientology sites. I am grateful.:yes:

Operating DB

Truman Show Dropout
It's nice to know there is still a market for these types of books and that they're still relevant.

I read BFM the year it came out (copyrighted 1987) along with another other book from the same year, Messiah or Madman. I always remember how much I loved BFM and how informative it was.

I was already a die hard ex scio before I read the books but both were chock full of information and filled in a lot of blanks on the true life of hubbard and his cult. I always eagerly awaited the next book or magazine article or TV program. In those days information was sparse. There never was enough to satisfy my craving for the real truth about the cult. Thank goodness for the internet. I can now satisfy these never ending cravings.

Those books along with all the the blockbuster hits (Going Clear, Inside Scientology, Blown For Good, etc.) proudly and prominently sit in plain sight in my bookcase. They're always a good ice breaker when friends see the titles and start asking questions.

Veda

Sponsor
IMO, the original cover from the first paperback edition of the late 1980s is still the best.

Bare_Faced_Messiah_UK_paperback_cover.jpg