What's new

Bare-Faced Messiah

Lohan2008

Gold Meritorious Patron
Russell Miller takes a critical perspective, challenging the official account of Hubbard's life and work promoted by the Church of Scientology.

It stretches from Hubbard's birth to death, and covers his success as a science fiction writer, his military career, the rise of Dianetics and Scientology, his journeys at sea with his followers, and his period on the run from the law in California.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bare-faced_Messiah

Intro:
For more than forty years, the Church of Scientology has vigorously promoted an image of its founder, L. Ron Hubbard, as a romantic adventurer and philosopher whose early life fortuitously prepared him, in the manner of Jesus Christ, for his declared mission to save the world. The glorification of 'Ron', superman and saviour, required a cavalier disregard for facts: thus it is that every biography of Hubbard published by the church is interwoven with lies, half-truths and ludicrous embellishments. The wondrous irony of this deception is that the true story of L. Ron Hubbard is much more bizarre, much more improbable, than any of the lies.

html link:
http://www.xenu.net/archive/books/bfm/bfmconte.htm

Last edited:

dontscamme

Patron Meritorious
Excellent book! I found it very informative and eye-opening. I post over at ESK under the username LronIsgonE_Snap. A bit unwieldy, I know, but the 4 capital letters characterize LRH very well, as Mr. Miller documents in this well-written volume.

DartSmohen

Silver Meritorious Patron
I don't think there is a better book out there about LRH and his "religion."

Not a bad book. I remember Russell Miller coming to see me to get info on Hubbard. He seemed rather shallow and I was not too impressed with him and decided not to give him too much.

John Atak's book "A piece of Blue Sky" contains a lot more info.

There will be a new book coming out in the next year, it has been 2 years in the writing and will be a blockbuster.

Dart

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
Welcome!

Excellent book! I found it very informative and eye-opening. I post over at ESK under the username LronIsgonE_Snap. A bit unwieldy, I know, but the 4 capital letters characterize LRH very well, as Mr. Miller documents in this well-written volume.

Posters on multiple boards do not scare me, dontscamme! :D :thumbsup:

The public clamor we are hearing now is wunnerful, huh? :coolwink:

EP

FinallyFree

Gold Meritorious Patron
Not a bad book. I remember Russell Miller coming to see me to get info on Hubbard. He seemed rather shallow and I was not too impressed with him and decided not to give him too much.

John Atak's book "A piece of Blue Sky" contains a lot more info.

There will be a new book coming out in the next year, it has been 2 years in the writing and will be a blockbuster.

Dart

Any other info? I am very interested.

Lohan2008

Gold Meritorious Patron
Excellent read

Been awhile since I last read Russell Miller's book, very enjoyable and informative; extensive research for such an early book (1987) on the history of Scientology & it's founder L.R. Hubbard.

knn

Patron Meritorious
So because of you his book is not as critical as it could have been or not as favorable as it could have been?