BBC Three Documentary

Linda McCarthy

Hi there,

I’m working on a new and exciting BBC documentary series that will be exploring young people's (18-30) views and relationships with religion.

We will be featuring a wide range of men and women from a variety of religious backgrounds who may be questioning their faith or are on the cusps of abandoning their religious communities. We are keen to speak to a diverse group, so any faith or coming from any religious community, although they do need to be based in the UK but they do not need to be British. They also don't have to have just started questioning your faith, it would be good to speak to those that are out and at different stages and trying to rebuild their identity and their relationship with their beliefs.

If there is anyone who would be happy to talk to me and share their story about leaving Scientology, then please email [email protected] in the first instance. These conversations will be confidential and without judgement.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Linda

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Hi there,

I’m working on a new and exciting BBC documentary series that will be exploring young people's (18-30) views and relationships with religion.

We will be featuring a wide range of men and women from a variety of religious backgrounds who may be questioning their faith or are on the cusps of abandoning their religious communities. We are keen to speak to a diverse group, so any faith or coming from any religious community, although they do need to be based in the UK but they do not need to be British. They also don't have to have just started questioning your faith, it would be good to speak to those that are out and at different stages and trying to rebuild their identity and their relationship with their beliefs.

If there is anyone who would be happy to talk to me and share their story about leaving Scientology, then please email [email protected] in the first instance. These conversations will be confidential and without judgement.

Thanks,
Linda
Anyone between the ages of 18-30 who isn't 2nd generation has had the benefit of the Internet to warn them about the toxic cult of scientology.
We're mostly geriatrics here darlin' so I doubt if you'll get many takers, but good luck with your project anyway.

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
Hi there,

Thanks,
Linda
Yup, I'd echo Strativarius on this. I'm not quite geriatric myself, but I'm outside of your 18-30 age range. I got into Scientology at quite a young age for a first-generation Scientologist (around 16-17), but it seems that people in your age range are not well-represented on this board. You might also try Ex Scientology Kids (exscientologykids.com) which might have more people in that age range.

ETA: you should also be aware that some will be wary of talking with you at first, until they are convinced that you are 'legit', rather than being a Scientology op aimed at uncovering the identity of wavering members. My first reaction to your post was to google your company to see whether it existed.

The church has a history of harassing ex-members who speak out against it, and of ordering current members to disconnect from members who are talking to the media, etc. People who have freshly left the church (as will be very likely in the age range you are examining) will be far more wary of talking to journalists, especially if they have jobs/careers/businesses to protect (nobody wants to be harassed at work) or have divulged criminal acts or discreditable acts to the church in confessionals (these are routinely used against people who leave to persuade them to shut up. Nobody wants their spouse to be visited by the church and informed that they had an extra-marital affair with the baby-sitter three years ago).

Last edited:

Linda McCarthy

Yup, I'd echo Strativarius on this. I'm not quite geriatric myself, but I'm outside of your 18-30 age range. I got into Scientology at quite a young age for a first-generation Scientologist (around 16-17), but it seems that people in your age range are not well-represented on this board. You might also try Ex Scientology Kids (exscientologykids.com) which might have more people in that age range.

ETA: you should also be aware that some will be wary of talking with you at first, until they are convinced that you are 'legit', rather than being a Scientology op aimed at uncovering the identity of wavering members. My first reaction to your post was to google your company to see whether it existed.

The church has a history of harassing ex-members who speak out against it, and of ordering current members to disconnect from members who are talking to the media, etc. People who have freshly left the church (as will be very likely in the age range you are examining) will be far more wary of talking to journalists, especially if they have jobs/careers/businesses to protect (nobody wants to be harassed at work) or have divulged criminal acts or discreditable acts to the church in confessionals (these are routinely used against people who leave to persuade them to shut up. Nobody wants their spouse to be visited by the church and informed that they had an extra-marital affair with the baby-sitter three years ago).
Hi, Thanks for this. I've contacted Ex Scientology Kids also.