Beans, Rice, Toilet Paper & Other Stories

G

Gottabrain

In 1977, all of PAC except the senior execs were on beans & rice for the longest, longest time. Eventually, even the execs were on it. It lasted at least three months, maybe four.

Needless to say, nobody stuck around to talk to each other immediately after dinner. And it was really bad for the ozone, too.

During this horrendous time of having almost no money allocated for anything, we at Cedars Estates and Pac Training Org (trained the EPF) were greeted at muster one day with someone in purchasing.

He told us we should not be stealing toilet paper from the bathrooms at AOLA and ASHO. He patiently explained to us the correct way to utilize toilet paper to maximize its benefits, that scrunching was wasteful, and demonstrated a folding technique whereby one could actually use just 2 or 3 sheets if it was folded properly.

All of this with a straight face. :roflmao:

But! There was toilet paper at ASHO and AOLA! We went for it.
.:happydance:

Balthasar

Patron Meritorious
:roflmao:
Rice & beans for ages, no toilet paper!
The guy from purchasing explaining where to get one, haha!
The timing couldn't have been better!
:happydance:

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
I remember being on beans and rice longer than that. I am pretty sure into the 80's - maybe 83 or sdo, we were still on beans and rice. At least CLO was (where my mom worked). I was a child, but I had to eat beans and rice too. And oatmeal for breakfast. Everyone else got corn flakes, and we had to eat oatmeal.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
In 1977, all of PAC except the senior execs were on beans & rice for the longest, longest time.

Hmmmm.........it seems odd to me that ALL of PAC were on rice & beans except for the senior execs. The senior execs were also responsible for the financial state of affairs, were they not? If THEY were on rice and beans like the others I bet that they would have found a faster solution to getting more money into the food budget.

wazn

Patron with Honors
Hmmmm.........it seems odd to me that ALL of PAC were on rice & beans except for the senior execs. The senior execs were also responsible for the financial state of affairs, were they not? If THEY were on rice and beans like the others I bet that they would have found a faster solution to getting more money into the food budget.

Beans and rice always included exempt execs, be it PAC or Flag. I experienced long beans and rice periods at both and certainly the CMO weren't eating beans and rice during any of the B&R periods I lived through. But, seeing as they "are Ron", that'd have been like including him :duh:

CMO weren't the only exempt ones.

And, if it wasn't beans and rice, it wasn't all that much better a lot of the time. PAC for a while had a rule about only mothers and children being allowed a cup of milk at a meal. Oh, the games that were played for a cup of milk. or part of one, or the remains of one...

GreyWolf

Gold Meritorious Patron
Beans and rice always included exempt execs, be it PAC or Flag. I experienced long beans and rice periods at both and certainly the CMO weren't eating beans and rice during any of the B&R periods I lived through. But, seeing as they "are Ron", that'd have been like including him :duh:

CMO weren't the only exempt ones.

And, if it wasn't beans and rice, it wasn't all that much better a lot of the time. PAC for a while had a rule about only mothers and children being allowed a cup of milk at a meal. Oh, the games that were played for a cup of milk. or part of one, or the remains of one...

Ya think if Ron had put himself every time and Org's stats went south that policy would not have lasted that long?

Disinfected

Patron Meritorious
Either in the 80's or early 90's, when I was public at AOLA, I knew that I had better check and see if there was TP before embarking on any mission that required same. I would sometimes have to go from floor to floor checking toilets before I could "take care of business".

Another time, I had a cold and dared to bring a roll of TP from one of the bathrooms into the MAA space so I could blow my nose and not interrupt my work every five minutes. What's his name Gary? went ballistic on me that I was attempting to degrade his space and would I bring a roll of TP into a fine restaurant :thumbsup:

EDIT: Gary Jacobs. That was my early encounter with him. We came to be pretty friendly. On the subject of OT and ethics, he once told me that there were OT child molester(s) in prison.

Last edited:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Ya think if Ron had put himself every time and Org's stats went south that policy would not have lasted that long?

Yeah, if Ron had accepted responsibility as full cause you'd of thought he'd also be eating beans and rice if he thought it was appropriate for the others. ;)

Disinfected

Patron Meritorious
Yeah, if Ron had accepted responsibility as full cause you'd of thought he'd also be eating beans and rice if he thought it was appropriate for the others. ;)

Ron would not put himself at the "effect" of "Scientology" and neither will Miscavige. And therein lies the rub. In the end, it is simple tyranny. Ron was somewhat of a "benevolent tyrant". Miscavige, not so much.

Wisened One

Crusader
Hubby and I ate a lot of beans n' rice as Staff, too. (It was cheap, and we lived in Miami aka Little Cuba, so...:confused2:)

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Hubby and I ate a lot of beans n' rice as Staff, too. (It was cheap, and we lived in Miami aka Little Cuba, so...:confused2:)

Well, I lived in Tampa for many years where there are many Cuban and other types of spanish restaurants, and I love Yellow Rice and Black Beans if it is made well. I never did have rice and beans as a staff member or my brief time in the S.O., so don't know how it was prepared, but even if done well, it's not something I'd want to live on for months at a time.

Kutta

Silver Meritorious Patron
At Saint Hill UK Stonelands there were a few GO staff berthing during the 1978-81 period I was there. When SO staff were on beans & rice, GO staff got meat and 3 veg type food, eating next to us in the dining room. It kinda stuck in the craw. And in retrospect, that was when GO was bringing Sci down with their illegal snow white shenanigans. Same old wrong target.

dianaclass8

Silver Meritorious Patron
I gotta tell you a funny story about rice and beans....when I was on lines at ASHO I used to see all those staff members eating their lovely rice and beans at dinner time....and my mouth would water...for that is the stapple food for most Latin countries and we eat that practically every day...we love it!

Now...on the other hand being forced to eat them is another story and I was aware of that...

One day I was asked to audit Chary Garrison later Chari Curry...she was the Sr C/S at ASHO FDN...well...we were having problems with her metab and she looked pale and tired...but we managed to go in session...while on a break, she told me she was not going to be able to come to session for a few days because she had no money...

What I found out was that they were no longer feeding them rice and beans...but instead...they were not feeding them anything at all...and that the staff had to buy their own food from their meager stipend...(I cannot call it salary)

And Chari had run out of money and now she was going to go with out food until payday...I was irate to say the least!

Here she is the Sr C/S of ASHO F and cannot get auditing because they are starving the staff!!!!

I wrote a long KR to her senior or to somebody...I forgot...and it flapped all over that a public (me) knew about their shennanigans...to make the story short...they went back to rice and beans...

Diana

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
:omg:So thats why there was never any toilet paper and soap at ASHO back then, lol!! Many public like myself used to bring in our own, just in case. I thought it was because the upper orgs in LA were broke :coolwink:

Mark Plummer who worked in treasury at ASHO back then, explains, using a typical week, where all the money went:
Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology, nl.scientology
Date: 23 Apr 2001 22:31:22 -0700
Local: Tues, Apr 24 2001 1:31 am
A Comment On Finance - was Re: I'm sooooooo pissed
Warrior is Mark Plummer

Mary McConnell

Last edited:

michaelangelo

Gold Meritorious Patron
I remember well the beans and rice days of the 70's at AOSH UK. Our cook was quite inventive. We had bean supreme, beans loaf, bean con carne (without the carne) and some days for a change, just plain old beans and rice.
If I remember correctly , at about that time LRH (or someone else) wrote "Ron's solution to inflation". It wasn't refering to the internal inflation from eating beans and rice. But the inflation going on at the time in the economy. The prices for Scio services rose each month which caused the G I to take off like a rocket. For a while we ate very well.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I remember well the beans and rice days of the 70's at AOSH UK. Our cook was quite inventive. We had bean supreme, beans loaf, bean con carne (without the carne) and some days for a change, just plain old beans and rice.

Mick Parkee and Ian Feldmesser. A few times I asked them to write up a "beans and rice" cookbook for the SO, but as far as I know they never did. They got really inventive over the stuff and put a lot of create into it, and it was actually very tasty.

Paul