What's new

Before you snap that cell phone pic...........

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
This is an issue that will become more and more relevant as these devices become more widespread and probably one that most people are aware of. Certainly the potential implications of doing so.

When I first learned of geotagging I was immediately struck by the potential loss of privacy and some of the problems that might come with it. I don’t have a device that adds geotags to photos but if I did, I’d certainly switch it off or if this isn’t possible, use a program that removes the tags from any photos before posting online.

I always advise people to RTFM (read the manual) but know that most people don’t bother reading it all, so I suppose they wouldn’t be aware of what information is being made available when they post photos online. But, this is such a potentially dangerous situation that manufacturers should make this very clear and visible in the instructions (which many people still probably wouldn’t see) and set the default to ‘geotags off’ so the only people who would be displaying this information are those who know about it and want it on.

Axiom142

OHTEEATE

Silver Meritorious Patron
OSA can use that

"Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you". If OSA can get any dirt to use on you through Facebook, or Twitter, and save money on PIs, they will. Why post personal pics at all if you want to keep your privacy. Posting cell phone cam pictures might not be the best idea if you are active as a critic.:duh:

New Guy

Patron with Honors
About 2 years ago i took a point blank photo of my wall was able to gps locate myself.
There is free software that will remove exif data from jpgs+time stamps.
Scientology photos sometimes have exif data on them.

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
Word to the Wise

Even with modern phones that do not offer GPS functionality, such tags can still be buried in photos.

ALL phones produced for the u.s. market since 9-11 have a GPS capability even if it is not user-accessible. There is every reason to believe that manufacturers are lazy and do not bother to disable this "feature" in other countries.

This is demonstrated by Canon BJ printers that can't print CDs in the u.s.: It's exactly the same model as sitting beside me which CAN print CDs. All the u.s. person has to do is find a simple hack on the 'net to enable CD printing and then order the CD print tray.

Div6

Crusader
The data is stored in EXIF format...there are a number of utilities out there that allow you to edit it. Google "Microsoft Photo Info" for an XP plugin, or there is Exifer (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Exifer.html) which is also freeware. Many other apps are out there.

When I am flying, I enable geotagging on my device and take pics out of the airplane window. It's one way of documenting your flight path.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Even with modern phones that do not offer GPS functionality, such tags can still be buried in photos.

ALL phones produced for the u.s. market since 9-11 have a GPS capability even if it is not user-accessible. There is every reason to believe that manufacturers are lazy and do not bother to disable this "feature" in other countries.

Per excerpt from http://www.travelbygps.com/articles/tracking.php (my emphasis):
Stimulated by the events of 11 September 2001, the demand for enhanced 911 (e911) emergency calling capabilities, pushed forward GPS tracking technology in cell phones. At the end of 2005, all cell phone carriers were required to provide the ability to trace cell phone calls to a location within 100 meters or less.

To comply with FCC requirements, cell phone carriers decided to integrate GPS technology into cell phone handsets, rather than overhaul the tower network. However the GPS in most cell phones are not like those in your handy GPS receiver that you take hiking. Most cell phones do not allow the user direct access to the GPS data, accurate location determination requires the assistance of the wireless network, and the GPS data is transmitted only if a 911 emergency call is made.

So, in general, you can not track someone using their cell phone, unless the person you want to track has the right kind of cell phone, connected to the right network, with the right service.​
-----

I have sometimes wondered if EXIF-type data is ever encoded anywhere else than in the space allocated for it in images that is generally known, that would still be visible to the "right" people but not to most. I know about digital steganography. I'm talking about a feature built into cameras or printers or scanners that we don't know about. :)

EDIT:
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printer_steganography:

Printer steganography is a type of steganography produced by color printers, including HP, Konica Minolta, Xerox and Epson brand color laser printers, where tiny yellow dots are added to each page. The dots are barely visible and contain encoded printer serial numbers, as well as date and time stamps.
Humph. Well, don't use your laser printer to send anonymous threatening mail to the White House!

Paul

Last edited: