What's new

Being the Bookstore Officer: A view from hell

JustSheila

Crusader
YOU WERE RESPONSIBLE FOR CALL IN?

I SHOULD HAVE SHOT YOU WHEN I HAD THE CHANCE.

:)giggle:just kidding...)

:omg: :giggle:

Well at least you weren't up all night doing all hands call-in anymore like when Val Lisa was C/O.

Yah - my posting sequence went something like this:

EPF to vents cleaner to nanny to Pro Wordclearer for Estates/Pac Training Org 1977-1978

Out for a year.

1979 - Back to the SO, but this time at AOLA after family suspicious I would infect younger brother with scn. I was re-recruited by the then Dir Income USGO (AOLA crew), Vic Fazio, who never told me his post setup, just that he was at AOLA. :omg:

I didn't want to go. AOLA hung onto me a bit, put me in Income at AOLA as Collections I/C, Reception... even Michael Silverman tried to get me over as a reg. No go. USGO insisted on having me, so off I went to do Dir Income USGO where they had their offices in the basement of CCLA.

That lasted a year. I was booted by Val Lisa for participating in a pilot that knocked down F/L bills to 5-10% of what they were and the USGO F/Lers were all paid off, every last one. She was the FP Chairman then and vewy vewy ANGRY with me. :angry: Her vendetta against me carried on for years afterward, as you know.... I was her personal SP.

So about 1980, I was out of the basement of CCLA and back over to AOLA, in Treasury and Income under Al Crivello and Bess Fuller. Did Collections again (it was a successful post), then was made Recruiter AOLA. But I kind of sucked at it, flat stats of 1 or 2 recruits per week until we started recruiting non-scns. The way I saw it, the only people who could possibly want to join the SO would be illegal aliens who were starving, so I started that non-scn (wog) recruitment thing. :blush: Yah, that was me. I started it when I audited someone for a drill on my New Era Dianetics checksheet, it had to be someone who never heard of scn. I got him off the street. He was broke, homeless and starving but had a win, so I recruited him. He was a pretty good recruit, actually. Hard-working and intelligent and spoke English.

That caught on. It became a PAC pilot and my stats went out the roof. ASHO went nutty and would pick up recruits from the soup kitchens every Thurs before 2 and then the CMO ended that and I was back to the 1 or 2 and then Kerry Gleason arrived as ED INT and visited AOLA.

He liked me. He reposted me as Dir I&R AOLA (which I loved) and when I needed an MAA he had a bright idea to reprieve one from the RPF. Then another and another and another and together we got them all off. That was fun!!

Then I got pregnant. Two other AOLA moms (Denise Mulkey and Sandy Fuller) had kids within a week of me and we all decided not to put our kids in CEO and keep them on post and work out better babysitting between us. It was a strike of sorts. And so I was put on D of P for Interviews in the HGC.

Then Val Lisa arrived as C/O AOLA on mission, still hating me. :angry: She transferred me from post to post every few weeks. She made me D/D of P Solo and I was only Clear. When she made me SSO, I recruited a replacement to go for OEC training. Val shows up, the CMO Msngr is there taking me away, Val has a hissy fit :hissyfit: but can't stop me from going.

I came back from the OEC as a missionaire working for CMO, busted Val Lisa off post :biggrin: and replaced her with Ivan and the rest of the AOLA Exec structure. I was made Exec Esto.

Busted off that by a mission looking for a "who" for flat stats who couldn't find anyone else to bust. Then to Letter Reg. Then to covering for Michael Silverman as reg while HE was doing one of his RPF stints, and then busted off Letter Reg while the murderer Michael Shay was falsifying the letters out stats and they mis-blamed me for using memory keys on my typewriter.

And to Call In. And D/CO Call In. And D/CO Solo, and to the RPF and OUT. FINALLY.

Yah, I rocked the boat a few times. :biggrin:

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Sorry for derail, just felt like chatting with you, Lulu Belle. Miss you, btw. :bighug:

Last edited:

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well Face, that was a smart idea. I would hire you to market for my company any day. I don't have a company though. By the way, now that all the corrections have been made by DM aren't they going to have to sell those leather bound mega expensive editions all over again with all the punctuation marks corrected and everything?

Thank you, Dean. :yes:

Fortunately, I left the SO & Scn when I was still young enough...and fortunate...to be able to make enough modest "fruit" from an "idea" or two of mine to weather the need to retire at the age of 57 for medical reasons. I'd still, in some ways, love to be blowin' and gowin' and have a few friends that still call on me for advice, input and opinions from time to time. But, I'm most of the time happy, content and comfortable with my life as it now is.

One thing I did learn in my SO years was that necessity is the mother of invention and that desperation is the father of necessity...and I was desperate to provide for my family when I walked away. I then learned that it's not so much who you know but what you've got between your ears, in your heart and what you do with it that gets you the rest of the way.

Actually, the "Old" Leather Bound Editions are probably of far more value in the long run as they are now, technically, "Misprints." :hysterical:

Face:)

Last edited:

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
:omg: :giggle:

Well at least you weren't up all night doing all hands call-in anymore like when Val Lisa was C/O.

Yah - my posting sequence went something like this:

EPF to vents cleaner to nanny to Pro Wordclearer for Estates/Pac Training Org 1977-1978

Out for a year.

1979 - Back to the SO, but this time at AOLA after family suspicious I would infect younger brother with scn. I was re-recruited by the then Dir Income USGO (AOLA crew), Vic Fazio, who never told me his post setup, just that he was at AOLA. :omg:

I didn't want to go. AOLA hung onto me a bit, put me in Income at AOLA as Collections I/C, Reception... even Michael Silverman tried to get me over as a reg. No go. USGO insisted on having me, so off I went to do Dir Income USGO where they had their offices in the basement of CCLA.

That lasted a year. I was booted by Val Lisa for participating in a pilot that knocked down F/L bills to 5-10% of what they were and the USGO F/Lers were all paid off, every last one. She was the FP Chairman then and vewy vewy ANGRY with me. :angry: Her vendetta against me carried on for years afterward, as you know.... I was her personal SP.

So about 1981, I was out of the basement of CCLA and back over to AOLA, in Treasury and Income under Al Crivello and Bess Fuller. Did Collections again (it was a successful post), then was made Recruiter AOLA. But I kind of sucked at it, flat stats of 1 or 2 recruits per week until we started recruiting non-scns. The way I saw it, the only people who could possibly want to join the SO would be illegal aliens who were starving, so I started that non-scn (wog) recruitment thing. :blush: Yah, that was me. I started it when I audited someone for a drill on my New Era Dianetics checksheet, it had to be someone who never heard of scn. I got him off the street. He was broke, homeless and starving but had a win, so I recruited him. He was a pretty good recruit, actually. Hard-working and intelligent and spoke English.

That caught on. It became a PAC pilot and my stats went out the roof. ASHO went nutty and would pick up recruits from the soup kitchens every Thurs before 2 and then the CMO ended that and I was back to the 1 or 2 and then Kerry Gleason arrived as ED INT and visited AOLA.

He liked me. He reposted me as Dir I&R AOLA (which I loved) and when I needed an MAA he had a bright idea to reprieve one from the RPF. Then another and another and another and together we got them all off. That was fun!!

Then I got pregnant. Two other AOLA moms (Denise Mulkey and Sandy Fuller) had kids within a week of me and we all decided not to put our kids in CEO and keep them on post and work out better babysitting between us. It was a strike of sorts. And so I was put on D of P for Interviews in the HGC.

Then Val Lisa arrived as C/O AOLA on mission, still hating me. :angry: She transferred me from post to post every few weeks. She made me D/D of P Solo and I was only Clear. When she made me SSO, I recruited a replacement to go for OEC training. Val shows up, the CMO Msngr is there taking me away, Val has a hissy fit :hissyfit: but can't stop me from going.

I came back from the OEC as a missionaire working for CMO, busted Val Lisa off post :biggrin: and replaced her with Ivan and the rest of the AOLA Exec structure. I was made Exec Esto.

Busted off that by a mission looking for a "who" for flat stats who couldn't find anyone else to bust. Then to Letter Reg. Then to covering for Michael Silverman as reg while HE was doing one of his RPF stints, and then busted off Letter Reg while the murderer Michael Shay was falsifying the letters out stats and they mis-blamed me for using memory keys on my typewriter.

And to Call In. And D/CO Call In. And D/CO Solo, and to the RPF and OUT. FINALLY.

Yah, I rocked the boat a few times. :biggrin:

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Sorry for derail, just felt like chatting with you, Lulu Belle. Miss you, btw. :bighug:

Wow Sheila!!!! That was fucking fascinating!

By the way, for those of you who are just observing, Sheila and I are friends and worked together for years.

But I never knew a lot of this stuff...especially a lot of the "early" stuff.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat

Val Lisa was the "personal SP" of a lot of staff, just so you know.

It was a glorious day at AOLA when she finally got taken off the CO post.

She was a piece of work.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
When I was on staff at ASHO day at Big Blue in '81 or thereabouts, there was this one sleazy little chubby guy who was the big hero for awhile. I don't know if he was a bookstore officer, or if that was even a post in the S.O., but this guy was selling a lot of books.

Anyway, this guy was making several hundred dollars a week in commissions, which was good money at the time by any standards. It was rich beyond your wildest dreams in the S.O.

After a few months, this guy was discovered to have been just deducting money from people's prepaid services accounts, and taking the books and stashing them in some remote empty room in the bowels of Big Blue. He didn't get caught until someone asked someone what the room full of books down in the basement was for, and did they know they were getting water damaged?

Needless to say, this guy vanished, no doubt off to RPF hell for his sins. The thing was, we had to sit there at crew musters for weeks and weeks listening to this guy get congratulated for being such a great book seller getting a ten percent kick back while most of us got paid 17 bucks a week if we were lucky. I remember being mad at this, and thinking it was so unfair. But, of course, I'd learned by that time not to 'natter'.:duh:

JustSheila

Crusader
D/CO Call In probably became D/CO D&E (Delivery and Exchange). Their major job was to be over Call In, which was considered to be responsible for arrivals.

You realize there was actually a "Call In Exec Int" in Exec Strata, right?

So that was the progression - thanks! The post became D/CO D&E while I was on or left the RPF. I think Call In Exec Int became a post while I was on the RPF - I believe the post was created while I was running the International Call In for the LRH IS DEAD event. That was my official title while I was pretending to not be an RPFer and ordering everyone to get people to the event. They must have kept it as a post at Int level, but I'm not sure of that. I didn't report to anybody but ED INT or missionaires when I did that call-in.

Gib

Crusader
It's time for me to make another confession here to all Y'all.

In '76 or early '77 the FSO Bookstore Officer was Steve Dryer. He was a bright, hard working and well intended feller. He is the person that originally came up with the idea of selling LRH autographed books at Flag for high prices, wrote El Ron and asked Hisself to do it and Hisself consented. I doubt he was ever given "full credit" for that. Around that time, Ken Delderfield, who was heading up the project to to put together the Red, Green and Discover Series volumes and, with input from yours truly and Dryer, came up with the idea of Leather Bound Collectors Editions. Yours truly then came up with the idea of producing and marketing LRH Autographed Libraries...both "regular" and leather bound...at ultra high prices as a Flag Only item. During that time Dryer and me in a "bull session", came up with the idea of hitting up wealthy FCCI's to donate "Library Packages" to the Libraries in their home cities and countries.

I was so young and foolish. I'm so disgusted and ashamed that I was part of the Genus of what has become such a monstrous abuse and financial waste for so many over these 3 decades I've been long gone.

My sincerest apology to all Y'all.

Face:)

This is written by Jefferson Hawkins & Steve Hall:

The 1991 Book Re-release

http://reformscientology.wordpress.com/the-basics/

you're off the hook, Face & Sheila. :thumbsup:

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
So that was the progression - thanks! The post became D/CO D&E while I was on or left the RPF. I think Call In Exec Int became a post while I was on the RPF - I believe the post was created while I was running the International Call In for the LRH IS DEAD event. That was my official title while I was pretending to not be an RPFer and ordering everyone to get people to the event. They must have kept it as a post at Int level, but I'm not sure of that. I didn't report to anybody but ED INT or missionaires when I did that call-in.

God, Sheila. Call In became EVERYTHING.

The reason I hated it so much was that I was on a siloed backlines post and I was forced to do at least an hour of "all hands call in" every day. Not My Thing. At all.

No one cared about anything else but Call In. And the staff were all forced to do it.

Later it became Event Call In in addition to Service Call In. And then when the Basics shit hit (thank god I was gone by then) it obviously became Buy the Basics Call In.

Dean Blair

Silver Meritorious Patron
Val Lisa was the "personal SP" of a lot of staff, just so you know.

It was a glorious day at AOLA when she finally got taken off the CO post.

She was a piece of work.

Amen. I will second that. The whole NOTS unit hated that lady. All of our noodles were fleeting when she was removed.

Last edited:

JustSheila

Crusader
God, Sheila. Call In became EVERYTHING.

The reason I hated it so much was that I was on a siloed backlines post and I was forced to do at least an hour of "all hands call in" every day. Not My Thing. At all.

No one cared about anything else but Call In. And the staff were all forced to do it.

Later it became Event Call In in addition to Service Call In. And then when the Basics shit hit (thank god I was gone by then) it obviously became Buy the Basics Call In.

It's infuriating to me that establishing call-in as its own unit under the C/O was done as a solution to the insane staff all-hands calling and what was done as an effort to some establishment and sanity reverted right back to the original insanity - only now with an elevated org board position!

Sorry you guys got sucked back into it - I know how painful it was, staying up late to get your work done, having everything interrupted for call-in all-hands and still having to do your job and get stats up. I tried! Just like I tried to handle the CEO, or tried to get ex-staff their sense of identity and confidence back by getting rid of their debts, or even partially automate letters out.

You can't ever fix anything in Scientology. It just gets worse.

It's designed to never, ever improve.

Scientology - the absolute merry-go-round of built-in Catch-22s.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
When I was on staff at ASHO day at Big Blue in '81 or thereabouts, there was this one sleazy little chubby guy who was the big hero for awhile. I don't know if he was a bookstore officer, or if that was even a post in the S.O., but this guy was selling a lot of books.

Anyway, this guy was making several hundred dollars a week in commissions, which was good money at the time by any standards. It was rich beyond your wildest dreams in the S.O.

After a few months, this guy was discovered to have been just deducting money from people's prepaid services accounts, and taking the books and stashing them in some remote empty room in the bowels of Big Blue. He didn't get caught until someone asked someone what the room full of books down in the basement was for, and did they know they were getting water damaged?

Needless to say, this guy vanished, no doubt off to RPF hell for his sins. The thing was, we had to sit there at crew musters for weeks and weeks listening to this guy get congratulated for being such a great book seller getting a ten percent kick back while most of us got paid 17 bucks a week if we were lucky. I remember being mad at this, and thinking it was so unfair. But, of course, I'd learned by that time not to 'natter'.:duh:

Sorry to bump my own post, but it occurred to me that this dude might have been worse than RPF'ed. I don't know, I just know he disappeared. If you consider that he stole from the Commode Door during a period where he was very much 'on lines' and directing things, no matter what purges and mass document destruction projects tried to hide later.

This was during the period where we Sea Orgers were getting red on whites saying shit like;

'Money, repeat, Money, repeat, Money, repeat, Money.....

I swear to God this was the lead sentence on an HCOB or whatever the hell at the time!

Last edited:

JustSheila

Crusader
Amen. I will second that. The whole NOTS unit hated that lady. All of noodles were fleeting when she was removed.

Remember our little party in the NOTS unit afterward where we were all singing...

[video=youtube;PHQLQ1Rc_Js]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQLQ1Rc_Js[/video]

I've got to tell you, Dean, that was one day - that for a few hours - I actually felt like a hero.

I hated how she tore up and terrorised the NOTS Unit, taking the best auditors off, denying medical care (was it Lyn that had the debilitating menstrual cycles and Val stopped the supplements?) and transferred everyone around. She put James Byrne on as an auditor - he tore up his pcs. Remember? Jerry Mulkey, as NOTS Tech Sec, was traumatised by her nearly every day.

We eventually ended up on the RPF together. She got better there. She was the ONE person I met who actually came to her senses after FPRD. As a normal person, she wasn't bad, she could even be nice. What a change for her. But she was just some sort of cruel monster shell of a person back then.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Reggie Caldwell was another who became a Crazy after being posted as the CO AOLA.

(Maybe we need an AOLA Crazies thread...)

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
Remember our little party in the NOTS unit afterward where we were all singing...

I've got to tell you, Dean, that was one day - that for a few hours - I actually felt like a hero.

I hated how she tore up and terrorised the NOTS Unit, taking the best auditors off, denying medical care (was it Lyn that had the debilitating menstrual cycles and Val stopped the supplements?) and transferred everyone around. She put James Byrne on as an auditor - he tore up his pcs. Remember? Jerry Mulkey, as NOTS Tech Sec, was traumatised by her nearly every day.

We eventually ended up on the RPF together. She got better there. She was the ONE person I met who actually came to her senses after FPRD. As a normal person, she wasn't bad, she could even be nice. What a change for her. But she was just some sort of cruel monster shell of a person back then.

We had the same type of demoniacs at PAC back in my day. I can totally relate.

Dean Blair

Yeah Sheila I will never forget the day the wicked witch died. In all honesty, Scientology makes you crazy. She probably had people training her to be that way. None of those execs, including David Miscavige, would last a week in the real world. The staff would all quit, sue, call the police, or shoot them. The insanity of Scientology management will probably be studied in Psychology classes one day.

Thank you for the post.

Dean Blair

Reggie Caldwell was another who became a Crazy after being posted as the CO AOLA.

(Maybe we need an AOLA Crazies thread...)

That is a good idea. Val Lisa should definitely be on that list. Bruce Duzack too. I remember Irene Dirman. she wasn't so crazy but her damn dog was. Someone around Christmas time took a collection from all the staff to buy her this fucking little dog. The staff were hardly paid anything and they took a collection for the CO to buy her this really expensive little dog. Don't get me wrong, I like dogs but this dog would bark at everyone all the time when he was next to the CO and she would have him tag along with her as she was doing her rounds.

One evening I saw the dog alone up on the second floor and I cornered him in the hallway and mocked up like I was a terrible beast and chased him while I was going ROAAAAR!!! That little dog took off down the hall with his tail between his legs whimpering back to his master. He probably thought he was going to die but hey he was a Scientology dog and he pulled it in.

JustSheila

Crusader
In all honesty, Scientology makes you crazy. She probably had people training her to be that way. None of those execs, including David Miscavige, would last a week in the real world. The staff would all quit, sue, call the police, or shoot them. The insanity of Scientology management will probably be studied in Psychology classes one day.

Thank you for the post.

Yes. Val Lisa was in the GO for years. All her training was toward finding "who is holding the stats down". She saw enemies everywhere. Somewhere along the line during her RPF assignment, she saw what/who she had become. Maybe just getting away from that environment helped her. In the end, I didn't hate her, I felt sorry for her. She'd lost her life and soul to Scientology. For at least a little while, she got it back, and I even liked her a little when she was on the RPF. I don't know if she left after that, but I hope so. I hope she had a few years of being a real person once she found her heart. She did find her heart - at least for a little while.

Now back to books. :coolwink:

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
After the BASIC Book sales fiasco - each Org was sitting on Hundreds of sets of BASIC Books that they could not get rid of. The Church of Scientology had rendered them - by their "business management tech" completely worthless! That is why they could not sell the ACC's...and didn't! I have had public tell me stories of fleecing still going on trying to get rid of these ACC's and they were charged full price - $7,800 for them when they were discounted to $4,500 (still a huge rip-off for regurgitated drivel from the Turd).

I have my phone recording devices in place for the onslaught of calls soon to be gracing my phone lines with crazy culties calling me to buy whatever snake oil crap this Golden Age of Ruin GAT II - whatever that means.:coolwink: I can't wait to get the calls....I will tell them I will buy them...then change my mind...then have to go...put them on hold, tell them I have to ask my spouse...my spouse is thinking about it...they said maybe but we have to sell some garage sale stuff including all of our Basic Books, ACC's, E-meters, Red Vols..Green Vols...Blue Vols...congresses and 1,000,000 copies of TWTH booklets with our company name plastered on the front cover...and after we do that - we can talk about it! :biggrin: