ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Best Talk on Certainty - From an Actual Neurologist

Discussion in 'Life After Scientology' started by Alanzo, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Alanzo

Alanzo Bardo Tulpa

As all Ex-Scientologists know: You can be 100% certain of something that is 100% false.

Dr. Robert Burton visits Google's Mountain View, CA headquarters to discuss his book "On Being Certain: Believing You Are Right Even When You're Not." This event took place on June 9, 2008, as part of the [email protected] series.

In On Being Certain, neurologist Robert Burton challenges the notions of how we think about what we know. He shows that the feeling of certainty we have when we "know" something comes from sources beyond our control and knowledge. In fact, certainty is a mental sensation, rather than evidence of fact. Because this "feeling of knowing" seems like confirmation of knowledge, we tend to think of it as a product of reason. But an increasing body of evidence suggests that feelings such as certainty stem from primitive areas of the brain, and are independent of active, conscious reflection and reasoning. The feeling of knowing happens to us; we cannot make it happen.

Robert Burton, M.D. graduated from Yale University and University of California at San Francisco medical school, where he also completed his neurology residency. At age 33, he was appointed chief of the Division of Neurology at Mt. Zion-UCSF Hospital, where he subsequently became Associate Chief of the Department of Neurosciences. His non-neurology writing career includes three critically acclaimed novels. He lives in Sausalito, California. Visit his website at http://www.rburton.com.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Me and My Self likes this.
  2. Alanzo

Alanzo Bardo Tulpa

3r7g3

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  3. Veda

Veda Sponsor

After failing to convince people with your arguments, and trickery, you're trying to drive people into apathy with the message that their thoughts are merely pre-programmed biological responses.

Why not get right to the point and go for nihilism?; the utter meaninglessness and futility of life.

4. I told you I was trouble

I told you I was trouble Suspended animation

Yeah ... let's all sit in rows and slurp cyanide flavoured Kool-Aid slash our wrists in unison and film it for the world (live) as an example of what can so easily happen to ex-cult members due to them being total and complete sheep and tribal ninnies!

Or we could just continue having a larf and being happy individuals?

Decisions decisions ... perhaps we should do a survey.

:clap2:

5. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

dchoiceisalwaysrs likes this.